• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Phenom X4, X3 45nm Lineup for H1 2009 Explained

System Name Jupiter-2
Processor Intel i3-6100
Motherboard H170I-PLUS D3
Cooling Stock
Memory 8GB Mushkin DDR3L-1600
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1050ti
Storage 512GB Corsair SSD
Display(s) BENQ 24in
Case Lian Li PC-Q01B Mini ITX
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair 450W
Mouse Logitech Trackball
Keyboard Custom bamboo job
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Finished Super PI on legendary mode in only 13 hours.
Where did I say the added cache on a Core 2 Chip was great for performance? And the 8MB on the Core 2 chips have always been there, when Intel went to 45nm they added another 4MB, and it didn't really help performance any. Intel added cache because they could, AMD is adding cache to try and improve performance in a flop architecture.

mdm-adph's world: "[Phenom] performs on par with equal-clocked conroe parts":roll:

Your unconditional love for AMD has blinded you to the facts.

Oh, please -- I don't need a quote, I know you think it. You're basically supporting what I said by admitting that Intel added needless cache when they went to 45nm -- perhaps because they feared the potential of the Phenom? (Whether it was there or not, they were still adding cache when they perhaps didn't need to.) If it's silly for AMD to do it, it's silly for Intel -- believing anything else is hypocritical.

And as the multitude of posters showed in that thread you linked, I still don't think I was wrong in stating that about the Phenom. ;)

And "unconditional love?" When I basically agreed with you that the K10 might shape up to be the netburst of the current scene -- not to mention that I've been vocal about the colossal blunders AMD has made in the past (wasting time buying ATI, for one). That's not what I'd call "unconditional love," unless you're talking about some freaky S&M shit.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
No, you made a statement claiming I said something or believed something and I never said nore believe it.

It is not Hypocrytical to say AMD is doing it for different reasons than Intel. AMD NEEDS to do it because their performance is sub-par, they are adding the cache to help improve performance. Likely Intel is doing the same, adding cache is an easy way to help performance.

The big difference is that Intel doesn't need to add it, and didn't add nearly as much as AMD. AMD has doubled the cache on their processors, Intel added 50%. And I wasn't totally accurate in saying that the added cache on Intel's processors didn't help any, it does help in a lot of multi-media area actually.

AMD is jacking up the amount of cache to try and make up for the sub-par performance of the K10/Phenom architecture, just like Intel did with Netburst. Intel isn't doing the same with the Core 2 because their performance is Sub-Par. I'm not saying either side didn't add cache, and I'm not saying either side didn't add cache to improve performance. I'm saying that AMD is doing it to an insane level because it is their only option to improve performance at this point.

Oh, and there are no posts in that thread that back your statement up. Unless you call a few posts showing the Phenom managing to equal or surpase the Core 2 at he same clocks in a total of 4 out of 35 tests. Again, maybe if it was a little closer to 50/50 I would be more inclined to agree with your statement.

At this point, anyone that would make the statement that Phenom/K10 perform on par with Core 2 is either completely ignorant or a fanboy. Which are you?

Edit: Of course you are more than welcome to post some benchs that actually back your statement up and prove me wrong, if you can.

Actually i wasn't referring to overclocking, i was talking about how Intel released P4 & Celerons in the above 3 gig stock frequencies. If i'm not mistaken they did overclock well after Intel moved to 90nm, and AMD stopped overclocking well after putting on onboard IMC. 3GHz for AMD is not insane thats why i said the similarity with netburst ends there. But you are right, there are parallels with netburst that we discussed above.

You can't just look at clock speeds as a universal thing. Clocking netburst processors over 3GHz wasn't insane, in fact the netburst architecture was designed with high clock speeds in mind. You have to look at the clock speeds in context of the architecture. Ever since the Athlon days, an insane clock on an AMD was way lower than an insane clock on a P4. Over 3GHz on an Athlon XP was completely insane, but 3GHz is nothing on a P4. It all has to do with context of the architecture. 3GHz on a Phenom is insane, hell a 3GHz overclock on a Phenom is damn good right now, so releasing a stock processor that is clocked at the speed that most overclockers consider a good overclock is insane.

Last edited:
System Name Turbo_Fighter/Pitbull
Processor AMD FX-9590/Intel i7 6700K 4.7GHZ @ 1.41 volts
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Rev 4.0/Gigabyte GA-Z170N-Gaming 5
Cooling Corsair H105/Corsair H100iv2
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Ares/32 GB G.Skill Trident-Z
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon R9 Fury X/Sapphire R9 Nano
Storage Mix of HDDs SSDs Externals and a 256GB Samsung M.2 in the pitbull
Display(s) 24" Nixeus 144hz freesync/24'' Benq XL2420TE/21.5'' Asus VH226/Panasonic 42" Plasma
Case White Phantom NZXT/Fractal Define Nano S
Audio Device(s) MayFlower O2 ODAC/HT Omega Claro+/Turtlebeach Earforce DSS
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i/Thermaltake Smart 650Watt(EVGA GS 650 Watt took a shit on me)
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores They can run Crysis.
shame i only have AM2+, but that doesnt mean i cant get a 3.0ghz quad, :)

System Name HTPC
Processor Intel Core i5
Motherboard Asrock ITX
Cooling Water
Memory 8GB
Video Card(s) Radeon R9 290
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Display(s) Sharp Aquos 70" TV
Case Coolermaster ITX
Audio Device(s) Radeon Onboard HDMI
Software Windows 10 64bit
Benchmark Scores -242 whatsoever
3GHz on a Phenom is insane, hell a 3GHz overclock on a Phenom is damn good right now, so releasing a stock processor that is clocked at the speed that most overclockers consider a good overclock is insane.

yup it is tru that OCing a AM2+ Phenom to 3Ghz is hard to do, but i think that these die-shrinked CPUs will clock better and the architecture improvements would help clocking the the next phenom to and past 3Ghz, i don't consider it insane in any way ...

to the added cache, i think there were some tests showing that the actual phenom architecture doesn't profit that much from added cache and now i think AMD is either adding a huge amount of cache, because they didn't change that much and thats the only way to compensate or the improvements really profit from the cache ... either way i'm eagerly waiting for the 45nm phenoms to show up ... yikes, it sound really confusing :eek: :banghead: :rockout:

System Name Jupiter-2
Processor Intel i3-6100
Motherboard H170I-PLUS D3
Cooling Stock
Memory 8GB Mushkin DDR3L-1600
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1050ti
Storage 512GB Corsair SSD
Display(s) BENQ 24in
Case Lian Li PC-Q01B Mini ITX
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair 450W
Mouse Logitech Trackball
Keyboard Custom bamboo job
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Finished Super PI on legendary mode in only 13 hours.
Oh, and there are no posts in that thread that back your statement up. Unless you call a few posts showing the Phenom managing to equal or surpase the Core 2 at he same clocks in a total of 4 out of 35 tests. Again, maybe if it was a little closer to 50/50 I would be more inclined to agree with your statement.

At this point, anyone that would make the statement that Phenom/K10 perform on par with Core 2 is either completely ignorant or a fanboy. Which are you?

Edit: Of course you are more than welcome to post some benchs that actually back your statement up and prove me wrong, if you can.

Hmm -- I seem to remember the benchmarks for all these: Winrar, OpenSSL, 3D Studio Max 9, Studio 12, GZip Linux, Sandra Whetstone tests, Scimark Linux, all memory bandwidth tests. Seems good enough for me.

"Up to par" does not have to mean "faster than" -- it means an acceptable level of performance in relation to something else. And I'm still not fully convinced that any benchmarks that show Intel chips with huge leads aren't because of some Intel-only instruction set that, of course, AMD is not going to be able to match.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Hmm -- I seem to remember the benchmarks for all these: Winrar, OpenSSL, 3D Studio Max 9, Studio 12, GZip Linux, Sandra Whetstone tests, Scimark Linux, all memory bandwidth tests. Seems good enough for me.

"Up to par" does not have to mean "faster than" -- it means an acceptable level of performance in relation to something else. And I'm still not fully convinced that any benchmarks that show Intel chips with huge leads aren't because of some Intel-only instruction set that, of course, AMD is not going to be able to match.

Again, that isn't even close to half the benchmarks, and there is no way I am even considering the memory bandwidth tests. AMD is going to win those simply because they have an integrated memory controller, and they have no effect on any real world performance. And no, less than 10 benchmarks out of over 40 with the Phenom winning is not good enough to back up the statement than Phenom/K10 is equal to Conroe based processors clock for clock. I'll agree with your statement when you can show me close to 50/50.

Oh, and now we have gone from "equal" to "up to par", your argument just keeps getting worse. No one said "up to par", you are just trying to change the argument to help your side out. You and I both said "on par" which means equal to, look it up.

Oh, so now anything that Intel wins, it has to be because of some instruction set that AMD could never match. It could't be because the processor are just better, could it? And even if it was because of an instruction set, it doesn't matter, Intel's processors still outperformed AMD's. The architecture is just better.

KBD

Processor Intel e8600 @ 4.9 Ghz
Motherboard DFI Lanparty DK X48-T2RSB Plus
Cooling Water
Memory 2GB (2 x 1GB) of Buffalo Firestix DDR2-1066
Video Card(s) MSI Radeon HD 4870 1GB OC (820/950) & tweaking
Storage 2x 74GB Velociraptors in RAID 0; 320 GB Barracuda 7200.10
Display(s) 22" Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2070SB
Case Silverstone TJ09-BW
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Profesional
Power Supply Ultra X3 800W
Software Windows XP Pro w/ SP3
i'm afraid newtekie is right, mdm. Core 2 is def better than Phenom, that may change with the Deneb, but as of now Core 2 is a beats Phenom clock for clock, not by a great deal but it does.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
the AMD fans who are clocking the phenoms cant catch up to intel, but that doesnt mean they dont deserve respect for trying. theres no challenge getting the fastest, most overclockable hardware and going 'looky me i blew $6k on this rig!' the challenge is getting the underdog and getting it as damned fast as you can :D

miloshs

System Name Begginer's E
Processor Intel E8500
Motherboard DFI LT X48-T2R
Cooling Thermalright HR-01 Plus & Silverstone FM-121B (800-2400rpm)
Memory 2x2gb GEIL Ultra Plus PC8500 CL5
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD5850 1gb
Storage WD 1tb Black Series
Display(s) ASUS VW242HS 24"
Case CoolerMaster 690
Audio Device(s) ICH8 integrated crappie
Power Supply OCZ 700W xStream SLI PSU
Software Windows 7 x64
the history goes like this concerning who has the better CPU...

Intel
AMD
Intel
AMD
Intel
AMD
Intel
AMD

getting the pattern here? :D

kysg

System Name Workhorse lappy
Processor AMD A6 3420
Memory 8GB DDR3 1066
Video Card(s) ATI radeon 6520G
Storage OCZ Vertex4 128GB SSD SATAIII
Display(s) 15inch LCD
Software Windows 7 64bit
There is no pattern its just another day in the biz of cpu's.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Dammit, I wish I would have waited to get my board, mebey I can change it and RMA it.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair X670E Hero
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 360 A-RGB // X12 Phanteks D30-120 D-RGB Fans
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo RGB Series (AMD Expo) DDR5 RAM 32GB (2x16GB) 6000MT/s CL30
Video Card(s) ZOTAC Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 AMP Extreme AIRO
Storage Samsung Pro 980 2TB NVMe (OS and Games) // WD Black 10TB HDD (Storage)
Display(s) SAMSUNG 34-Inch SJ55W Ultrawide Gaming Monitor (LS34J550WQNXZA) – 75Hz Refresh WQHD Computer Monitor
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply Seasonic Vertex GX-1200, 1200W 80+ Gold, ATX 3.0
Software Windows 11 Pro
Anybody have any idea on the pricing of these things yet, at least for the Deneb?