• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My 4850 only works with catalyst 8.7

CaMpeRuS

Hi all, i have a problem when i try to update my drivers. Uninstall and using driver cleaner dont solve it. When new drivers installed (8.8, 8.9 or new 8.1) windows dont start and give me a black screen before desktop screen :banghead: so i have to rollback to 8.7 uninstalling the new ones in windows secure mode.
Can it fail due to bios modification? I flashed it and works fine in 8.7, all works fine... Anyone have the same problem? Thank u and sorry for my english.

System Name Ma Biatch
Processor i7 860
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3A
Cooling Noctua
Memory 8gb (4x2gb) G-Skill
Video Card(s) GTX 470
Storage WD5000aaks raid0
Display(s) Sony Bravia 37" 1080p
Case CM 690
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX520
Software Windows 7 Ultimate
have you modded the bios ?

edit nm, i see you have this is a common problem with modded 4850s with a bios mod, there is a beta of 8.11 on here somewhere, you could maybe see if they work ?

CaMpeRuS

Yes, now is 700/1100 totally stable in catalyst 8.7(crysis, cod4, hl2, stalker, warhead... hours played without any problem, but updating driver give me black screen before desktop starts :confused:

Edit: mmm if its a common problem i try these drivers and i hope in a future to new drivers support modiified bios.

Thank you!

Fastmix

Usually that happens if you have modded the CCC limits on your bios.

Try reflashing your card with a different bios, it should solve the problem.

GenTarkin

this happened to me as well.
In my case it was because of only modded clocks and voltages in my custom BIOS.
The fix was when I downloaded newest RBE and opened up my stock BIOS again. In the new RBE it showed the "tables" of voltage selections for each clock speed. I remember that the voltage I manually typed before the new version matched none of those in the table, so I used only the ones in the table. I was also sure to only change the fields I desired rather than changing some of the ones I wasnt sure of.
Since, I reflashed my card with that, I no longer had the problem of video dissappearing when booting up to windows desktop with any catalyst over 8.7
Give it a shot!

CaMpeRuS

umm, i will try with new rbm and table voltajes. I hope i will resolve it :rolleyes:. Thank u!