• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

X800 Pro VIVO to XT PE Bios Mod

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
Last edited:
X

Xenn0X

Jup i tried this mod too with succes!

transformed my sapphire x800 pro vivo into a full x800 xt pe
stable @ 520/560 stockspeed of the xt.
did not try to clock furter cause i'm stuck with the original cooling in my barebane.
no space for artic kinda stuff:D

ahh well happy as it is.. went from 11k 3dmark03 to 13k
doom 3 goes @ 1280/1024 high quality 4x fsaa and 8x asf. fps not getting under the 40:)
most of the time 60 fps limit in doom 3!

NemoNada

I've been trying to buy an X800XT PCI-X card and I can't find one anywhere--not even ATI has one! First time in my life that I've had money and can't spend it

Anyway... maybe this would be a better answer (and cheaper) than waiting or doing without. Would the card being PCI-X affect any of the procedures?

Take care...

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
I did the BIOS flash from a Sapphire X800pro VIVO to an X800xt PE. The flash worked and I now have 16pipes. I used the Sapphire XT BIOS first and had lockup problems. Also the performance was still at the OC'ed pro speed. I then flashed to the ATI XT BIOS and what a difference. I now see XT speeds but all is not perfect. I tried ATITool to scan for artifacts and it locks after a few minutes. When I loop 3DMark03 VPU recover pops up. I would assume that I need a volt mod. It has been mentioned that some pros come with a 1.3 volt and not the 1.4 volt of a XT. I can still play Doom3 and PainKiller without any issues. I changed the stock fan to a Zalman ZM80d-HP running idle at 35c and 54c at the highest so far... I still like to see if I can change it back to 12 pipes but I'm enjoying the XT mod to much.. :D pencil time ...

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
The X800 series doesn't come in PCI-X... X600XT/X600pro and X300/X300se for ATI PCI-Express

kovenant

thanx w1zzard so much :)

this will help a lot of ppl here to beat the 6800gts...

hehe

kov

D

Damn you logon

PCIe X800s are coming soon...

W1zzard, you're the man... even though I can't use this mod.

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
W1zzard I'm confused about the Gigabyte Flash to an XT. If you use the regular Ati flash tool and Gigabyte XT BIOS to mod. You then have broken pipes are you stuck with them? Can the Flashrom and Empty BIOS get you back to 12 (flashing original BIOS before reboot)?

Thanks for posting the files :)

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
use modified flashrom and flash your original bios back to get 12p

NemoNada

The X800 series doesn't come in PCI-X... X600XT/X600pro and X300/X300se for ATI PCI-Express

:eek: I couldn't believe that! :( I was sure I'd seen something somewhere... :confused:

Anyway, my apologies, :eek: you were correct and ATI has indicated they do not have a planned release date for the X800 as PCI-X.

I know this is not the correct thread but I can't make new ones yet and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for me? Should I go w/the X600XT or something totally different. I'd also read that ASUS has made some modifications to their version of the X*00 cards. Do you know anything about that?

Thanks for your assistance (and straightening out! :eek: )...

Take care,

Jim

"Guam: Where America's Day Begins!"

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Well you're right about them being made. Their just not available yet, read this review for some good info http://firingsquad.com/hardware/ati_x800_x600_xt/ .

ASUS doesn't put anything different on their boards than any other mfg (other than PCB color and HSF mfg specific). There is a difference between an XT and a XT Platium Edition, about 20mhz I believe. All XT's come with VIVO (ati rage theater chip)

Which brand might depend on the bundled software and price. Each card preforms differently. ASUS usually has a good software bundle but is priced 20 to 50 dollars more than say a Powercolor with a limited bundle or why get the ASUS if you already have the software. ASUS does throw in a videocam as well...

Also don't buy a high end card if you're running a low end system. The card will never reach it's potential...

NemoNada

Well you're right about them being made. Their just not available yet, read this review for some good info ...

Thanks Urlyin, that link you provided cleared up the last of my confusion and I can see now why I thought there was supposed to be PCI-X cards.

I couldn't get ASUS to answer me regarding when they were going to release the X800XT Platinum PCI-X and ATI just said they "had no date projected".

So I decided to buy the ASUS X600XT card for now. Doesn't have near the specs but it'll work for now. Plus I want to check out mod'ding the card to a FireGL version. I saw some info on turning the Radeon 9800 into a FireGL, so I'm sure something similar will apply to the X*00 series cards. I'm not a gamer and I use multiple monitors so the firegl card is more in line w/what I need.

I didn't notice anything on this site regarding the firegl mod'ding. Is anyone here familiar with it?

Also, will ATITool work w/PCI-X? Guess I'll find out soon enough...

BTW, you're correct about needing a system to support the X800XT type of card. I'm pretty sure I'll be okay w/a P4 550, ASUS P5AD2 Premium MB, and 2GB of DDR2-533MHz RAM.

Take care,

Jim

"Guam: Where America's Day Begins!"

U

Unregistered

Just making sure that does it matter if its something els too like "CLUB 3D RADEON X800 PRO VGA+DVI+VIVO" for example ?

pablofrogo

If it's VIVO, it will work. VGA and DVI are just different types of plug sockets on the card, VGA is the blue one, DVI is the round black one.

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Cool... Glad I could help.
W1zzard should be able to help you with AtiTool...

I'd like to also note anyone doing the Pro to XT mod should seriously consider upgrading their stock HSF

I did the pencil vmod on my modded XT. It took longer to take off/on the ZM80D-HP than to do the vmod. I checked the voltage and it was 1.39 :confused: before the mod. The card out I then checked the resistance which read 418ohm. I dropped it down to 400ohm. With the card back in and running the voltage read 1.45. Now having done that I went straight to the AtiTool and scanned for artifacts(stock XT settings). No lockups :D

Didn't have time to run max core/mem ...

P

Paxil

excellent work!!! did anyone hear anything about ati wanting to change that possible flash?

U

Unregistered

shit - flash failed

i used the modified flashrom to try and flash my Sapphire Pro Vivo to unlock the other 4 pipes. Everything seemed to go ok, and I used the ati x800xt bios. However, after i rebooted, my motherboard barks at me..

system failed vga test

F... any way to correct this other than getting a pci card?

U

Unregistered

Hallo Wizzard,

wie ich sehe bist du aus Deutschland, ich hoffe du kannst mir meine Frage beantworten.

Ich bekomme diese Woche noch eine HIS X800 Pro geliefert, kann ich die mit deiner Methode auch zu einer XT PE hoch"patchen"?

Ich denke schon, es steht ja zumindest hier in deinem Artikel, aber sage mir Bitte, man hat mir schon Hilfe bei dem BIOS flashen usw angeboten, dieses Verfahren für das man Disketten benötigt usw, leider ist mir dies nicht sehr geheuer ...

Ist deine Methode einfacher und löscht man damit nicht sein Normales BIOS? In meinem Falle ein MSI BIOS?

Lieben Gruß, Sven.

U

Unregistered

Ich nochmal:

Ich glaube so langsam bei deiner Methode geht es wirklich nur ganz konkret um das "Bios" der Karte nicht wahr? Das heißt selbst wenn es fehl schlagen würde, könnte man mit diesem Flash ROM das Alte Standard BIOS wieder draufladen nicht wahr? Habe nämlich Angst dass das BIOS des Boards flöten geht oder dergleichen, weil man ja bei der Anderen Methode ein ganz Anderes "Board Bios" laden muss gell?

Ciao

papashex

Has anyone tried this on an AMD64 s939 system? I have found some tools do not work outside of windows, i.e. memtest86 and the Acronis trueimage restore CD will not boot the system.

Standard dos floppies appear to boot ok but I would hate to crash mid flash!

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
es geht nur mit einer Pro _VIVO_

ja es geht nur um das bios das du drauf flashst

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Unregistered said:
i used the modified flashrom to try and flash my Sapphire Pro Vivo to unlock the other 4 pipes. Everything seemed to go ok, and I used the ati x800xt bios. However, after i rebooted, my motherboard barks at me..

system failed vga test

F... any way to correct this other than getting a pci card?

At this point the answer would be Yes you'll need a second card...
Did you use the BIOS from the link http://www.techpowerup.com/bios/ ?
Did you verify your Pro could run at XT speeds?
There's two ATI XT BIOS one is 520 and the other is 526. Perhaps it might be that your card is a 1.3v and not 1.4 as some people have noted.
Have you checked your voltage?
The memory is 1.6 right?
You did do the backup for original BIOS as per instructions...
Sorry the flash went bad... do you have a pci card?

Last edited:
U

Unregistered

W1zzard said:
es geht nur mit einer Pro _VIVO_

ja es geht nur um das bios das du drauf flashst

So,

that means ... i only can flash up the card if it is an "ViVo" ???? OMG please don't tell me, that it is the truth ... to be honest ... then it would be 430€ for nothin' ...

I thought i can do it with an Normal Pro too?