• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

World of Warcraft surpasses 11 million subscribers worldwide

System Name G-REX
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Master X570
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB Platinum SE + 4 x Corsair LL120 (White)
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-3600 (White)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3080 10GB
Storage 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVME | 2TB Sabrent Rocket Q NVME
Display(s) 34.0" LG 34GP83A-B
Case Lian-Li Lancool 2 Mesh (White)
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Virtuoso RGB Wireless
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Corsair Dark Core Pro SE
Keyboard Corsair K70 MK2 (Cherry MX Brown) + White PBT Key Caps
Software Windows 10 Home
Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. announced today that the subscribership for World of Warcraft, its award-winning massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG), now exceeds 11 million players worldwide. This milestone was reached as the beta test for Wrath of the Lich King, World of Warcraft's second expansion, nears completion. Wrath of the Lich King will launch in several regions around the world starting on November 13.

"It's been very rewarding to see gamers around the world continue to show such strong support for World of Warcraft," said Mike Morhaime, CEO and cofounder of Blizzard Entertainment. "We remain fully committed to responding to that enthusiasm with a high-quality, constantly evolving game experience."

Since debuting in North America on November 23, 2004, World of Warcraft has become the most popular MMORPG around the world. It was the bestselling PC game of 2005 and 2006 worldwide, and finished behind only World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade, the first expansion pack for the game, in 2007. In addition to being the bestselling PC game of 2007 in both North America and Europe, The Burning Crusade holds the record for fastest-selling PC game of all time, with nearly 2.4 million copies sold in its first 24 hours of availability and approximately 3.5 million in its first month.

World of Warcraft was recently launched in Russia and Latin America, and is currently available in eight languages. In addition to North America and Europe, the game is played in mainland China, Korea, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia, Chile, Argentina, and the regions of Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Macau.

To keep pace with the continued growth of World of Warcraft as well as development on other Blizzard Entertainment games, the company is currently hiring for numerous open positions. More information on available career opportunities at Blizzard Entertainment can be found at eu.blizzard.com/en/jobs.

For further information on World of Warcraft, The Burning Crusade, and Wrath of the Lich King, please visit the official website at http://www.wow-europe.com.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Not named
Processor Intel 8700k @ 5Ghz
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Assassin II
Memory 16GB DDR4 Corsair LPX 3000mhz CL15
Video Card(s) Zotac 1080 Ti AMP EXTREME
Storage Samsung 960 PRO 512GB
Display(s) 24" Dell IPS 1920x1200
Case Fractal Design R5
Power Supply Corsair AX760 Watt Fully Modular
Blizzard must be rolling in money from that game, 11 million people * monthly fee = great riches . Personally i still don't like that game though :p

DanielF50

System Name Dan's Beastly Rig
Processor Intel Quad 2 Core q6600 @ 3.0GHz (1.22v)
Motherboard Asus P5Q-E
Cooling 200mm Megaflow x 2, 120mm Exhast, Arctic Freezer 7 Pro.
Memory OCZ Reaper 4GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon 1GB HD4890 Vapor-X
Storage Seagate 250 gb 7200.10, Seagate 160gb 7200.10, Seagate 160gb 7200.9
Display(s) Dell 17" Ultrasharp
Case Coolermaster HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 750w
Software Windows XP / 7
wow...

thats only 0.16661052% of the worlds population though :p

Daniel

System Name My Box
Processor Core I7 4790
Motherboard Asrock Z97 Anniversary
Cooling Alpenfohn Ben Nevis
Memory 16 GB DDR3 1600, Dual channel
Video Card(s) Zotac GeForce GTX 970 AMP! Omega Core Edition
Storage SSD OCZ Arc 120 GB, WD Blue 1 TB, WD Blue 1 TB
Display(s) HP Pavilion 27xi IPS LED Backlit
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro
Audio Device(s) Onboard + Sabre 24/96 DAC
Power Supply LDLC XT-650P 80+ Platinum
Mouse A4 Tech Basic
Keyboard Microsoft Comfort Curve
Software Win 10 Pro X64
That's one way of putting it, but let's not forget that there are many European countries with smaller population numbers. It's a matter of perspective really... Empty half, full half. Still, that's a lot of people playing one game.

It's a huge monthly income for Blizzard, but still... There are a lot of people behind this game that need to be paid (webmasters, game masters, support people, marketing people... You name it). Not to mention all that expensive server cluster maintenance and bandwidth.

Not to say that the game doesn't earn Blizz a pretty penny, but don't expect them to fund their own Mars mission based on WoW earnings alone any time soon :)

D

Deleted member 24505

That game does not derserve to make that much money for blizzard.I am suprised they even bother making any new games at all,all the big wigs must find it hard to keep away from their supercars and yachts.

zOaib

System Name BabaJinn's U.F.O
Processor Intel Core i7 975 Extreme @ 3.8 ghz (for now)
Motherboard Asus Rampage Xtreme II X58
Cooling ZALMAN 9900 CPU COOLER Led
Memory 12GB Crucial Ballistix Tracers (Blue Led) 1600 DDR3
Video Card(s) MSI NVIDIA GTX 480 1.5 GB DDR5 384-BIT
Storage 2 x WD Velociraptor 10k rpm 300GB sata + 2x 500GB WD Caviar Sata + 320 GB Seagate Barracuda Sata
Display(s) DELL U2711 27inch Goodness @ 2560 x 1440
Case Mountain-Mods U2-UFO Custom Case (Made in USA)
Audio Device(s) Supreme FX X-Fi MB (Creative)
Power Supply ZALMAN 1000W PSU MODULAR
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (Retail Version)
That game does not derserve to make that much money for blizzard.I am suprised they even bother making any new games at all,all the big wigs must find it hard to keep away from their supercars and yachts.

wow is not crack , it just makes me feel good about myself :D