• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA to Cut Graphics Card Prices to Counter AMD/ATI ?

Arkilae

Notice the word "should" in my post. Then look up the definition of "should" when used in the context I used it in.

They only come off as bad to ATi fanboys. The fact of the matter is that I am right, and judging by the fact that you can't seem to actually make an attempt to disprove what I have said, I'm guess you already knew this. It isn't that I don't like ATi/AMD, I love them. However, I look at the facts and see that ATi cards aren't anything amazing. A lot of people seem to want to make it out like nVidia is in some world of hurt, and that ATi is doing so much better than nVidia right now. I simply don't see it that way. Unfortunately, this generally means I am responding to some idiotic ATi fanboy's claims that ATi is so much better than nVidia, and usually the idiotic fanboy then does nothing more than claim I am the fanboy. And just like you, they can never make any kind of valid argument to back up their point, so they usually just resort to trying to imply that I am anti-ATi or an nVidia fanboy.

I don't know why it is so hard to accept that ATi isn't so far ahead as people seem to want to you believe. I think proof enough is looking at W1z's last performance chart next to the last performance per $ chart. For every ATi card(with the exception of the HD4870x2) there is an nVidia card that is equal in performance, and in every instance that nVidia card offers a better Performance per $.

Though I'm sure next you'll try to say that W1z is just a fanboy too, and that W1z believes that ATi is shit and no one should buy their cards also. Because his charts pretty much say exactly what I have already said.

My posts are not meant to say that ATi cards are a bad buy. They contain the facts, you read them as you wish. My post, if anything, say that ATi isn't as good of a buy as everyone want to make it seem. The ones bias towards ATi tend twist that into me saying ATi is crap.

ATi is not putting out more GPU accelerated apps than nVidia. Streams is simply allowing ATi to catch up with what CUDA has enabled nVidia to do. This definitely is a good thing. And the fact that you believe CUDA is only used for PhysX shows how little you know. Though again, most people are not buying either one because of their ability to accelerate a few applications, they are buying them for gaming, their main purpose. I certainly didn't buy any of my nVidia cards because of CUDA, and it doesn't play a role in any of my future buying decisions, nor with Streams.

Oh cool, two links to Quak tests. Because that helps. Of course, looking at the other tests the performed kind of hinders your attempt...

Really? Considering there are hardly any reviews for these cards running in sli/cf modes I'd say at the moment the 4830s win. But AMD sucks, I hope they go out of business.

System Name MASTER
Processor Core i7 3930k run at 4.4ghz
Motherboard Asus Rampage IV extreme
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 4x4G kingston hyperx beast 2400mhz
Video Card(s) 2X EVGA GTX680
Storage 2X Crusial M4 256g raid0, 1TbWD g, 2x500 WD B
Display(s) Samsung 27' 1080P LED 3D monitior 2ms
Case CoolerMaster Chosmos II
Audio Device(s) Creative sound blaster X-FI Titanum champion,Creative speakers 7.1 T7900
Power Supply Corsair 1200i, Logitch G500 Mouse, headset Corsair vengeance 1500
Software Win7 64bit Ultimate
Benchmark Scores 3d mark 2011: testing
dumm ,nvidia cut prices more , if it happened now that's mean nvidia lose more , they must depend on new card's

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
um catch up......strange i use to FOLD on my x1900, when the 7800/7900 couldnt, and even when the 8800 couldnt.........so yeah ati is playing catchup........clearly your not a fanboi at all.

cuda(physx and folding only current readely avalable uses) is nice if you play physx games.

Stream(folding since the x1900) will be nice once havoc is updated to support it.

and power director still dosnt work (least by prof ver with latist update) with cuda, dispite it being the one thing they used to show what cuda can do for you.

and your correct, nvidia is the best, they are worlds ahead of ati in price, perf, quility and tech, why do ati even bother.

Folding on the x1900 series had virtually nothing to do with ATi, Standford developed the method for using the x1k series cards entirely on their own. They didn't persue it on the 7 series because the 7 series didn't have the floating point accuracy need to make Folding useful the amount of it would take to to make sure the calculations were accurate enough on the 7 series meant that they would be of little use in Folding. This had nothing to do with Streams of CUDA, Streams wasn't used in the x1k folding days.

Folding and PhysX are not the only uses of CUDA. The entire CS4 suite gets acceleration thanks CUDA.