• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Set to Integrate Memory, Graphics Controllers into Microprocessors.

D_o_S

Processor AMD Opteron 144
Motherboard DFI Lanparty nF4 SLI-DR Expert
Cooling Watercooled - Alphacool Nexxxos XP, BIX2, Eheim HPPS
Memory 2x 512MB OCZ PC 3200EL Platinum Rev.2 (TCCD)
Video Card(s) 2x Gainward GeForce 6800 Ultra (430/1200)
Storage 4x WD Raptor 740GD in RAID 0
Display(s) Eizo FlexScan L768
Case CM Stacker
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Power Supply Silverstone Zeus ST65ZF
Intel Corp. does not currently see many advantages that memory controller built-into central processing units (CPUs) would bring, as the firm has managed to increase performance without integration of memory controller with its forthcoming Core 2 processors. Nevertheless, in future the firm would integrate the appropriate circuits into its CPUs, moreover, it could add graphics capabilities to its chips, according to the company.

Speaking at a conference June 13, 2006, in New York hosted by analyst firm Bear Stearns Security, Dileep Bhandarkar, architect at large for Intel's digital enterprise group said that the company does not plan to integrate memory controller into its microprocessors set to be released in short-term, like Santa Clara, California-based chipmaker's arch-rival Advanced Micro Devices does.

Intel admitted that built-in memory controller helps to reduce memory access latencies and eliminate memory controller hub as an additional component. But the world's largest maker of microprocessors defended its current stance saying that by incorporating larger caches - on-chip memory pools - it can reduce memory latency impacts. At the same time, building memory controller into processor results in increased die size and power consumption of the CPU and reduces flexibility between supported memory types.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name 2nd AMD puppy
Processor FX-8350 vishera
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper TX2
Memory 16 Gb DDR3:8GB Kingston HyperX Beast + 8Gb G.Skill Sniper(by courtesy of tabascosauz &TPU)
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+;1450/2000 Mhz
Storage SSD :840 pro 128 Gb;Iridium pro 240Gb ; HDD 2xWD-1Tb
Display(s) Benq XL2730Z 144 Hz freesync
Case NZXT 820 PHANTOM
Audio Device(s) Audigy SE with Logitech Z-5500
Power Supply Riotoro Enigma G2 850W
Mouse Razer copperhead / Gamdias zeus (by courtesy of sneekypeet & TPU)
Keyboard MS Sidewinder x4
Software win10 64bit ltsc
Benchmark Scores irrelevant for me
i bet in 15-20 years we'll buy only a big chip with all in, a sort of AIW

System Name Current
Processor Core i5 2500k
Motherboard Z77MA-G45
Cooling Cooler Master Tx3
Memory 8gb DDR3 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 960 4GB GDDR5
Storage (1) SAMSUNG 850 EVO 500GB
Display(s) ASUS PB278Q 27" WQHD 2560x1440 IPS
Case Fractal Core 1000
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 430 Watt Corsair
Mouse Logitech g602
Keyboard K70 LUX Mech LB, Red LED, Cherry MX Brown
Software Windows 10 + Hackintosh
if it happens it will happen much sooner, you have to keep in mind how fast technology is progressing. They have the tech to do in the next few years now.

yaxpak

True

"At the same time, building memory controller into processor results in increased die size and power consumption of the CPU and reduces flexibility between supported memory types".
That is very true there. For example, AMD and it's AM2 chips. If I want to use DDR2, I have go purchace a whole new CPU and MB? With Intel, all you need is the memory (duh) and the MB to support your new RAM. I personally like AMD over Intel because I am a gamer, however Intel has a good point there. I wish Intel would make faster chips, so that I could play my games and have that flexibility.

yaxpak said:
"At the same time, building memory controller into processor results in increased die size and power consumption of the CPU and reduces flexibility between supported memory types".
That is very true there. For example, AMD and it's AM2 chips. If I want to use DDR2, I have go purchace a whole new CPU and MB? With Intel, all you need is the memory (duh) and the MB to support your new RAM. I personally like AMD over Intel because I am a gamer, however Intel has a good point there. I wish Intel would make faster chips, so that I could play my games and have that flexibility.

I suppose you haven't seen conroe benchmarks...

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Oh great...so eventually every time I buy a processor I am going to get a crappy GMA950, or whatever number they use, with it. Seems like a waste, a good idea, but a waste for a lot of people.

yaxpak

Homeless said:
I suppose you haven't seen conroe benchmarks...
I have, but Conroe is not out yet, it is still in the works, so it is not an official competitor. And I bet you anything, AMD will have a come back. So too early to say who the big daddy is, till the fat man farts.

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
D_o_S said:
Intel admitted that built-in memory controller helps to reduce memory access latencies and eliminate memory controller hub as an additional component.
Hmmm... it took them THAT long to admit it? They've been schooled by AMD for years now on that very topic.

Disclaimer - I've never owned an AMD product :rolleyes:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
yaxpak said:
I have, but Conroe is not out yet, it is still in the works, so it is not an official competitor. And I bet you anything, AMD will have a come back. So too early to say who the big daddy is, till the fat man farts.

No, AMD won't have anything to counter Conroe unless they have managed to keep something very secret, and that just doesn't happen anymore. Their competition to Conroe was AM2 and DDR2, they believe that would get them by and keep them onto in the desktop market for the next few year because they started developing it before they knew anything about conroe. Unfortunately, that isn't the case as conroe is pretty clearly the performance and price leader, or at least it will be when it comes out in a month and a half. The only way I can see AMD even being an option is if they drastically reduce the price of their processors to below Conroe's, just how Intel did with the Pentium Ds due to their underperformance.

Sasqui said:
Hmmm... it took them THAT long to admit it? They've been schooled by AMD for years now on that very topic.

Disclaimer - I've never owned an AMD product :rolleyes:

Actually they admitted it before AMD even released the first processor with an integrated memory controller. However, there is also downsides to it, downsides which would have hurt them more then havine an integrated memory controller would have helped.

yaxpak

newtekie1 said:
No, AMD won't have anything to counter Conroe unless they have managed to keep something very secret, and that just doesn't happen anymore. Their competition to Conroe was AM2 and DDR2, they believe that would get them by and keep them onto in the desktop market for the next few year because they started developing it before they knew anything about conroe. Unfortunately, that isn't the case as conroe is pretty clearly the performance and price leader, or at least it will be when it comes out in a month and a half. The only way I can see AMD even being an option is if they drastically reduce the price of their processors to below Conroe's, just how Intel did with the Pentium Ds due to their underperformance.

Actually they admitted it before AMD even released the first processor with an integrated memory controller. However, there is also downsides to it, downsides which would have hurt them more then havine an integrated memory controller would have helped.
LOL AMD only moved to DDR2 because they needed to keep up with new tech, not to respond in any way to Intel's forth commings. And DDR2 is not much better than DDR. You dont think AMD knew that? Also, Conroe is only going to be a stepping stool for AMD, as it always has been with anything Intel throws on the table. But I guess it only matters to the individual and what he/she is doing with the technology at hand. I just do not see how AMD would try to compete with Intel's Conroe with AM2 cpu's, since all they did was utilize a technology that was already out. Your comment makes no sense. The firm isn't that stupid. Conroe looks good, sounds good, and I just might check it out myself. But I do know it will eventually be just another Intel chip.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
yaxpak said:
LOL AMD only moved to DDR2 because they needed to keep up with new tech, not to respond in any way to Intel's forth commings. And DDR2 is not much better than DDR. You dont think AMD knew that? Also, Conroe is only going to be a stepping stool for AMD, as it always has been with anything Intel throws on the table. But I guess it only matters to the individual and what he/she is doing with the technology at hand. I just do not see how AMD would try to compete with Intel's Conroe with AM2 cpu's, since all they did was utilize a technology that was already out. Your comment makes no sense. The firm isn't that stupid. Conroe looks good, sounds good, and I just might check it out myself. But I do know it will eventually be just another Intel chip.

Did I say that AMD moved to DDR2 to counter Conroe? No I didn't. I completely agree that they did it to keep up with technology.

However, they put a lot of time in the switch, and honestly I think they got lazy with it. They assumed that their performance lead was far to big for Intel to make it up, which is why they figured the move to DDR2 would be enough to keep that lead. However, it isn't.

Despite your apparent hatred for Intel, they will hold the performance crown in round, I have no doubt of that. AMD might not have meant AM2 to compete with Conroe, but Intel meant Conroe to compete with AM2, and it will so that is all that matters. AMD didn't even know Conroe was on the table when they started work on AM2, and when they found out about Conroe they probably figured the switch to DDR2 would be enough to keep their lead, I am sure that AMD had no clue how powerful Intel's next line of processor was really going to be, and I highly doubt they have anything that can even begin to compete with it.

System Name Dell XPS 15 9560
Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1050/1080 Ti
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) 2x Dell P2715Q/4k Internal
Case Razer Core
Audio Device(s) Creative E5/Objective 2 Amp/Senn HD650
Mouse Logitech Proteus Core
Keyboard Logitech G910
newtekie1 said:
No, AMD won't have anything to counter Conroe unless they have managed to keep something very secret, and that just doesn't happen anymore. Their competition to Conroe was AM2 and DDR2, they believe that would get them by and keep them onto in the desktop market for the next few year because they started developing it before they knew anything about conroe.

Unfortunately, all you conroe fanbois dont like admitting the K8L is making great progress.. :rolleyes:

Which is definatly far from secret.

FLY3R

Processor AMD 3700+ SD Core @ 2.8gHz
Motherboard DFI LanParty nf4 Expert
Cooling Zalman
Memory G.Skill Extreme Series (2x 1GB) PC4000
Video Card(s) Evga 7800GT
Storage 80GB Seagate
Display(s) ViewSonic 20.1" Widescreen 16:9
Case CoolerMaster Centron
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2 ZS Gamer
Power Supply SeaSonic 600w SLI
Software XP pro (sp2)
You all need to remeber that Intel used to be run by Engineers then it switched to Salles people and reps, and now it is back to being run by Engineers. Since then talk about Conroe and chips after came into the picture. AMD has been run by Engineers ever since the bigging and that is why they pulled ahead of Intel, but now that Intel is back on there feet in the right shoes things will change. Remeber Intel is a hugh corperation with much to spend in research and development, I would be suprised to see how many of you actually read there Anule reports. I have been following them for a while and a stock owner, so befor you make coments about things that you don't know or understand just do some reading and resarch.

yaxpak

FLY3R said:
You all need to remeber that Intel used to be run by Engineers then it switched to Salles people and reps, and now it is back to being run by Engineers. Since then talk about Conroe and chips after came into the picture. AMD has been run by Engineers ever since the bigging and that is why they pulled ahead of Intel, but now that Intel is back on there feet in the right shoes things will change. Remeber Intel is a hugh corperation with much to spend in research and development, I would be suprised to see how many of you actually read there Anule reports. I have been following them for a while and a stock owner, so befor you make coments about things that you don't know or understand just do some reading and resarch.
Calm down mr. stock owner. All I know is this: my pc and future pc's will only have the best of the best. So if Intel can get ahead of AMD, good for them and good for me :) I currently own an AMD chip and I love it, but I am all about performance, not brand. Games are the reason why I go for AMD. BF2 is a resource hog and CPU hog, so that + eye candy = AMD64. I rest my case on this subject, next please!

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Dippyskoodlez said:
Unfortunately, all you conroe fanbois dont like admitting the K8L is making great progress.. :rolleyes:

Which is definatly far from secret.

Yeah, but I have yet to see any of that progress, or for that matter even seen any actual working prototypes. It is slated for release in what H2 of next year? A full year after conroe's initial release, and right around the time when the quad-core conroes are coming out. But yeah, K8L should be great...or too little too late, we'll have to see.

FLY3R

Processor AMD 3700+ SD Core @ 2.8gHz
Motherboard DFI LanParty nf4 Expert
Cooling Zalman
Memory G.Skill Extreme Series (2x 1GB) PC4000
Video Card(s) Evga 7800GT
Storage 80GB Seagate
Display(s) ViewSonic 20.1" Widescreen 16:9
Case CoolerMaster Centron
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2 ZS Gamer
Power Supply SeaSonic 600w SLI
Software XP pro (sp2)
yaxpak said:
Calm down mr. stock owner. All I know is this: my pc and future pc's will only have the best of the best. So if Intel can get ahead of AMD, good for them and good for me :) I currently own an AMD chip and I love it, but I am all about performance, not brand. Games are the reason why I go for AMD. BF2 is a resource hog and CPU hog, so that + eye candy = AMD64. I rest my case on this subject, next please!

Oh i totaly agree, i go where the performance goes to, i was getting mad at the fact that you are both spating your own prefrences about each making them sound like facts at the same time. And don't counter argue that becuase you will just contradict your self.

System Name MONEY PIT
Processor i7-3770K @ 4800 1.20v batch #3231B415 Delided
Motherboard ASrock Z77 OC Formula w onboard waterblocks
Cooling Apogee HD, MCP655,rad MCR320-XP,Micro Rev2 res
Memory G,skill Trident X F3-2400C10D-16GTX
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified with EK nickel/acetal waterblock installed
Storage 2x120gig Wildfire raid0 2x120gig VERTEX3 raid0
Display(s) 3/ Samsung2343bwx + 65in LG 4K
Case NZXT Phantom White w/red
Audio Device(s) ReCon3d fatal1ty pro, Logitech z906 THX
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse Rat7
Software 64bit ++++ win 10
FLY3R said:
. Remeber Intel is a hugh corperation with much to spend in research and development, I would be suprised to see how many of you actually read there Anule reports. I have been following them for a while and a stock owner, so befor you make coments about things that you don't know or understand just do some reading and resarch.
....taken from canadian business mag [june 5-18/2006]"AMD market share 17% INTel market share 80%.... cash from operations AMD. $US 1.5 billion.... INTEL. $US 14.8 billion..
last year, intel boasted gross margins of 59.4% and profit margins of 22.3%.....AMd figures were 40.9% and 2.8% " the math speaks for itself:eek:

saumesh

This type of memory controller built into cpu is good ,but how much MB it can have within cpu & can it replace the use of RAM?

saumesh

I have read this from a magzine that IBM is about to build/launch a nine core processor which have a main processor & other 8 processor for supporting the processing of main processor. I will ,no doubt , increase the processing speed but about its price.

overcast

Processor AMD Opteron 165 @ 2.7ghz Stock Voltage
Motherboard ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
Cooling Stock Opteron
Memory OCZ PC4000 EB Platinum 2GB
Video Card(s) ATI X1900XTX
Storage 2 x Western Digital 74gb Raptors
Display(s) NEC 990B 19"
Case Antec P150
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic S12-500
Software XP 32bit
saumesh said:
This type of memory controller built into cpu is good ,but how much MB it can have within cpu & can it replace the use of RAM?

If you think they are going to develop 2GB of on die RAM at any point in the near future, you've lost it.

overcast

Processor AMD Opteron 165 @ 2.7ghz Stock Voltage
Motherboard ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
Cooling Stock Opteron
Memory OCZ PC4000 EB Platinum 2GB
Video Card(s) ATI X1900XTX
Storage 2 x Western Digital 74gb Raptors
Display(s) NEC 990B 19"
Case Antec P150
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic S12-500
Software XP 32bit
Frogger said:
....taken from canadian business mag [june 5-18/2006]"AMD market share 17% INTel market share 80%.... cash from operations AMD. $US 1.5 billion.... INTEL. $US 14.8 billion..
last year, intel boasted gross margins of 59.4% and profit margins of 22.3%.....AMd figures were 40.9% and 2.8% " the math speaks for itself:eek:

and MOST of Intels revenue is in the private sector where they've monopolized every major OEM manufacturer. Up until recently, you didn't have much choice when buying server racks from OEMs.

When Dell and others finally switch at the end of the year, we'll see the percentages move.

Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Storage 1TB SSD
Case Razer Core
Keyboard Logitech G910
newtekie1 said:
Yeah, but I have yet to see any of that progress, or for that matter even seen any actual working prototypes. It is slated for release in what H2 of next year? A full year after conroe's initial release, and right around the time when the quad-core conroes are coming out. But yeah, K8L should be great...or too little too late, we'll have to see.

Then you obviously havent been looking. There have been several full presentations from AMD posted on just the technical improvements they have been doing..

And its slated for h2 this year, jan 07.. ;)

Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Storage 1TB SSD
Case Razer Core
Keyboard Logitech G910
FLY3R said:

Lesson # 1- Dont listen to PR people.

Their sole job is to keep stock owners happy by filling their minds with cr@p and covering up the bad.

Most definatly not a good arguing point to be using ;)

Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Storage 1TB SSD
Case Razer Core
Keyboard Logitech G910
saumesh said:
I have read this from a magzine that IBM is about to build/launch a nine core processor which have a main processor & other 8 processor for supporting the processing of main processor. I will ,no doubt , increase the processing speed but about its price.

lol 8 is nuthin

IBM has put like 64 power CPU's on a single "package".