• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need help volt modding eVGA 9600GSO, Loads of information inside!

quadomatic

System Name Fry's combo rockin' the BSEL
Processor E2200 @ 2.93ghz BSEL & 1.55vCore Mod
Motherboard ECS 945GCT-M/1333 v3.0 mATX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper TX2 + OCZ Freeze
Memory 3 GB DDR2 (1GB HP 667mhz, 2GB Corsair Dominator, "Functionality Untested", $13 on ebay)
Video Card(s) eVGA 9600GSO @ 741/1836/1053
Storage Hitachi Deskstar 1TB SATA 3.0Gb/s
Display(s) Big 'ol CRT
Case $5 Banged up piece o' shit from TigerDirect liquidation center
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic
Power Supply hec ORION 585Watt PSU
Software Vista Ultimate x64
Hey, I still need help trying to volt mod my eVGA Dual-Slot edition 9600GSO. I'm sure there are plenty of people around with these cards, since tons of them were sold when they went on sale for $34 after rebate and coupon code on newegg.

My card is running at 741 core/1836 shader/1053 memory on stock voltage. It was using the Dual-Slot stock cooler, but then I removed it and replaced it with an Accelero S1 with a 120mm fan attached to it. At idle its 43 degrees, and at load its, I think, it's probably about 55 or so. This is good, since it would be 60 something with the old cooler.

The board's layout isn't the standard G92 core layout, so I need help finding a mod. Here are some important pieces of information some of us have figured out thus far:

Pictures of the card:

Back:

Zoomed (Left, Center, Right):

Front:

Zoomed (Left, Center, Right):

Datasheet for chip that controls Core/GPU voltage:

RT8802A - http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/207883/RICHTEK/RT8802A.html

Picture of RT8802A on card:

Mapping for VID resistors connected to pins that control voltage (I think...I mapped it out using the datasheet):

Things we've tried that don't seem to be working, as they aren't producing results:

• *Shading the FB Pin Resistor (picture of resistor) - http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh166/hitokirixii/9600gsopencilmod.jpg
  • Removing VID2 resistor to make a gap, in order to produce voltages of 1.21V described in data sheet (0's mean connected to ground, 1 means open connection. vGPU measuring point: "GPUv I am using is on the back of the large inductors" - CL3P20 on XtremeSystems)
  • *Bios mod for 1.1V - backed up BIOS from card, edited with nibitor for 1.1V on Extra, 3D, Thrtl, and .95V for 2D.

* means that I myself and at least one other person have tried these things, and they haven't let me push overclocks any higher without causing artifacts in ATITool Artifact Scanner

Why FB Shading didn't work:
CL3P20 on XtremeSystems said:
It seems, on the data sheet for the RT8802A, that FB is independent of both the DAC and droop circuits...so shading FB resistor, or FB to VR should not increase GPUv at all.

Why (maybe why, but still, attempt was not successful) removing VID2 resistor didn't work:
I tried removing VID resistors #3 and 4..for 1.21v on one of my cards.. strange..the card works fine..but as far as I can tell..the mod has no effect. Temps, and clocks are the same as before the mod. Only vmeasure I can find reads @ 1.04v..which makes sense if default vcore for my cards is ~1.08v..that being load.. ~.04v less for idle.
I am just gonna have to try something else... I think pin40 'VIDsel' has something to do with it.. maybe VR will cause something to happen. At this point I'd be satisfied with change..good or bad. :eek:

UPDATE ON WHY vGPU MOD DOESN'T WORK
i have been going over this datasheet with an electronics 'buddy' ...he said it seems like the output and input current portions are separately controlled..

ie- the mods are for the input side of the circuit..like 'vsense'..but no matter the input resistance..the output is locked to a certain limit by another IC or diode..

In his opinion..two mods will most likely be needed to regulate voltage manually...still working on it though.

Things we've tried that appear to be working

Why vMem mod didn't work for me:

panzerchaos47 tried shading the resistor, and from the vMem measuring points he identified, he found a difference in voltage. He was able to push memory clocks over 1050 without crashing after the mod. He was even able to get it to 1100 with enough voltage. I tried the mod, and I wasn't able to get memory clocks any further than they had been. Actually, I had to drop memory clocks to avoid artifacts, but that's probably because the chips weren't being adequately cooled after I removed the cooler, since the styrofoam pads that had been acting as heatsinks on the stock cooler weren't working quite as well as they did (or did they at all? One of the reasons I added the Accelero S1 is because I was then able to put ramsinks on). It might be that I didn't shade the resistor properly.

Things we might still need help for, aside from obvious question of how to ACTUALLY do vMem and vGPU mods:

• Identifying/confirming more chips that control voltage
  • Confirming measuring points for vMem and vGPU
  • Anything else that would just be generally helpful...PLEASE!

The original sources of this information:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=207093
http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=53910&page=3 (page 3 and 4)

Major contributors

infrared (TechPowerUp)
panzerchaos47 (XtremeSystems)
CL3P20 (XtremeSystems)

We're kind of stuck at this point, so help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

quadomatic

Memory 3 GB DDR2 (1GB HP 667mhz, 2GB Corsair Dominator, "Functionality Untested", $13 on ebay)
Display(s) Big 'ol CRT

quadomatic

Display(s) Big 'ol CRT
Bump for help please??

System Name Ladpot ◦◦◦ Desktop
Processor R7 5800H ◦◦◦ i7 4770K, watercooled
Motherboard HP 88D2 ◦◦◦ Asus Z87-C2 Maximus VI Formula
Cooling Mixed gases ◦◦◦ Fuzion V1, MCW60/R2, DDC1/DDCT-01s top, PA120.3, EK200, D12SL-12, liq.metal TIM
Memory 2× 8GB DDR4-3200 ◦◦◦ 2× 8GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) RTX 3070 ◦◦◦ heaps of dead GPUs in the garage
Storage Samsung 980 PRO 2TB ◦◦◦ Samsung 840Pro 256@178GB + 4× WD Red 2TB in RAID10 + LaCie Blade Runner 4TB
Display(s) HP ZR30w 30" 2560×1600 (WQXGA) H2-IPS
Case Lian Li PC-A16B
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S / Contour RollerMouse Red+
Keyboard Logitech Elite Keyboard from 2006 / Contour Balance Keyboard / Logitech diNovo Edge
Software W11 x64 ◦◦◦ W10 x64
Benchmark Scores It does boot up? I think.
Just a FYI for people that might be wondering if there is a mod:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=3548692

largon said:
here are the measuring points:

vMEM mod:

Pin#7 is ground, eg.

vGPU mod:

Alternative vGPU mod soldering point would be the pad immediately below the yellow dot.