• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

D-Link Debuts All-in-One 802.11n Router With Built-In Photo Frame

malware

Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 VID: 1.2125
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3P rev.2.0
Cooling Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme + Noctua NF-S12 Fan
Memory 4x1 GB PQI DDR2 PC2-6400
Video Card(s) Colorful iGame Radeon HD 4890 1 GB GDDR5
Storage 2x 500 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 32 MB RAID0
Display(s) BenQ G2400W 24-inch WideScreen LCD
Case Cooler Master COSMOS RC-1000 (sold), Cooler Master HAF-932 (delivered)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic + Logitech Z-5500 Digital THX
Power Supply Chieftec CFT-1000G-DF 1kW
Software Laptop: Lenovo 3000 N200 C2DT2310/3GB/120GB/GF7300/15.4"/Razer
D-Link, the end-to-end network solutions provider for consumers and business, today unveiled an all-in-one home network router with all the features of a fast, far-reaching 802.11n Wi-Fi router combined with network attached storage (NAS), SharePort technology for sharing printers and scanners, along with a bright 3.2-inch LCD monitor on the face for displaying photos, desktop applications and network performance.

Designed with convenience and functionality in mind, the new D-Link Xtreme N DIR-685 offers a stylish, even chic addition to the digital home. Its upright design allows users to easily view the vibrant LCD screen that displays device status via graphical gauges, digital photos, streamed video, weather forecasts and other live streaming Internet content in up to 1.6 million colors.

As a router, the DIR-685 features a sleek design made possible, in part, by the router's internal antennas. In addition, the network attached storage (NAS) feature supports both UPnP server functions and BitTorrent downloads. A built-in FTP server allows users to access documents, photos, music and other media locally through the home network or remotely over the Internet.

The DIR-685 employs D-Link Green technology that helps conserve energy in several ways -- by automatically recognizing port activity and cable length and adjusting power usage accordingly, by consolidating all functions to a single device instead of many separate products, and by using the idle mode which automatically turns off power to the LCD screen. A wide local area network (WLAN) scheduler can turn off the router's Wi-Fi module at a preset time, and the power adapter complies with Energy Star specifications for average power savings of up to 30 percent. The same power-saving features located in the gigabit ports are also included in the NAS drive.

Both USB ports located on the back of the DIR-685 utilize the new D-Link SharePort technology, enabling multiple users to seamlessly share USB devices -- including printers, multi-function printers (MFP), and external hard drives -- from any location in the home or office, in a Wi-Fi environment. SharePort turns the local USB ports located on the back of the 802.11n router into a fast and responsive virtual port by utilizing a new technology of USB over TCP/IP.

To manage the photo frame feature of the DIR-685, D-Link has partnered with FrameChannel, a free web service (internetphotoframe.com) that allows for the customization of content displayed on the screen, so photos can be easily accessed and viewed.

"This router is the ideal solution for the consumer who wants to be the first on his or her block with the ultimate 'all-in-one' networking device," says Daniel Kelley, senior director of marketing for D-Link Systems in Fountain Valley, Calif. "Not only does it offer full functionality as a router/NAS storage/print server/FTP device, it is attractive on any desktop, environmentally friendly and Internet secure."

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

freaksavior

To infinity ... and beyond!
System Name ZeroUptime | M.A.S.S / MM1
Processor Xeon 2659 v3 / Xeon 2683 v4 / ARM A14
Motherboard Asus X99-E-10G WS / ASRock x99 usb 3.1 / Apple
Cooling NZXT Kraken / Noctua NH-L12 / Apple
Memory 16Gb DDR4 / 32Gb DDR4 / 16GB HBLM
Video Card(s) Powercooler ATI vega 64 / GT 7300 / ARM
Storage Samsung 970 512 Evo NVMe / A lot. / 256 + 512 External TB3
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 / Headless / Acer X34 Non predator
Case NZXT H630 |Rosewill 8bay 4u server chasiss / MMM1
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Onboard / Onboard
Power Supply Corais HX850 | Corsair TX750 / Internal 250w
Mouse g502 proteus core / Headless / g502 proteus core
Keyboard Corsair K95 Cherry Blue / Headless / K65 Cherry Red
Software Windows 10 / ESXI / Big Sur 11.2.2
D-Link, the end-to-end network solutions provider for consumers and business, today unveiled an all-in-one home network router with all the features of a fast, far-reaching 802.11n Wi-Fi router combined with network attached storage (NAS), SharePort technology for sharing printers and scanners, along with a bright 3.2-inch LCD monitor on the face for displaying photos, desktop applications and network performance.

Designed with convenience and functionality in mind, the new D-Link Xtreme N DIR-685 offers a stylish, even chic addition to the digital home. Its upright design allows users to easily view the vibrant LCD screen that displays device status via graphical gauges, digital photos, streamed video, weather forecasts and other live streaming Internet content in up to 1.6 million colors.

As a router, the DIR-685 features a sleek design made possible, in part, by the router's internal antennas. In addition, the network attached storage (NAS) feature supports both UPnP server functions and BitTorrent downloads. A built-in FTP server allows users to access documents, photos, music and other media locally through the home network or remotely over the Internet.

The DIR-685 employs D-Link Green™ technology that helps conserve energy in several ways -- by automatically recognizing port activity and cable length and adjusting power usage accordingly, by consolidating all functions to a single device instead of many separate products, and by using the idle mode which automatically turns off power to the LCD screen. A wide local area network (WLAN) scheduler can turn off the router's Wi-Fi module at a preset time, and the power adapter complies with Energy Star specifications for average power savings of up to 30 percent. The same power-saving features located in the gigabit ports are also included in the NAS drive.

Both USB ports located on the back of the DIR-685 utilize the new D-Link SharePort technology, enabling multiple users to seamlessly share USB devices -- including printers, multi-function printers (MFP), and external hard drives -- from any location in the home or office, in a Wi-Fi environment. SharePort turns the local USB ports located on the back of the 802.11n router into a fast and responsive virtual port by utilizing a new technology of USB over TCP/IP.

To manage the photo frame feature of the DIR-685, D-Link has partnered with FrameChannel, a free web service (internetphotoframe.com) that allows for the customization of content displayed on the screen, so photos can be easily accessed and viewed.

"This router is the ideal solution for the consumer who wants to be the first on his or her block with the ultimate 'all-in-one' networking device," says Daniel Kelley, senior director of marketing for D-Link Systems in Fountain Valley, Calif. "Not only does it offer full functionality as a router/NAS storage/print server/FTP device, it is attractive on any desktop, environmentally friendly and Internet secure."

Source: D-Link

Unless they fixed the sharport dont bother with it as a print server does not support os x or 64bit os. tried it myself.

System Name OptimusFine
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800x
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 / 2x NF-S12A-PWM Chromax
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX CL15 3000mhz 32gb
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3080 12GB Gaming OC
Storage Samsung M.2 SSD 960 Evo 250GB / 2 Crucial SSD MX500 2TB & 1 1TB / Seagate 2TB Hdd / Toshiba 2Tb Hdd
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW, ASUS ROG PG279Q
Case Cooler Master H500M
Audio Device(s) Steelseries Arctis 7+ / Logitech Z533
Power Supply Corsair RM850X
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB
VR HMD Oculus Rift
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
why would I want my router to be a photo frame???

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Exactly. Mine is hidden back in a corner and I check the display for internet speed sometimes but no one would ever notice it if they weren't fixing to look at it as is.

Jakl

System Name AMD Fun Rig | Intel Lil' Gaming Rig
Processor 720BE x4 3.4ghz 1.375v | E8400 4ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte 790FXT-UD5P | eVGA 780i
Cooling Scythe Mugen | TRUE
Memory G.Skill 2x2gb 1600 | 4x1gb Crucial 800
Video Card(s) ATI 3870 | eVGA 9800GTX
Storage 1TB Seagate | 1TB Seagate
Display(s) 24" ASUS VK246H | 28" Acer LCD TV | 40" Sony V4100
Case Lian Li | Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2X | Onboard
Power Supply Thermaltake 1200W | PC Silencer 750
Software Win7 64
thats a retarded idea... why would you make a router which you will never hardly want to see with a picture frame... rofl

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
It's not so stupid if the device can run a version of skype, and the USB port can take a USB phone headset. If the screen is also touch sensitive, then there are lots of possibilities how you could use this... incl. media server, CCTV monitor, iPod podcast downloader, etc.

But it also requires us to mount it on the wall, or convenient desktop/tabletop. Next to the TV? Show available programs. Next to the telephone, have an address book.

I think this device doesnt quite make it... BUT the next edition of this could be brilliant. (For consumers).

System Name OptimusFine
Storage Samsung M.2 SSD 960 Evo 250GB / 2 Crucial SSD MX500 2TB & 1 1TB / Seagate 2TB Hdd / Toshiba 2Tb Hdd
Case Cooler Master H500M
VR HMD Oculus Rift
it would still be an idiot gadget for an idiot consumer

thunder_2008

it would still be an idiot gadget for an idiot consumer

I don't know...I'm with lemonadesoda~!

While this edition could use some refinements I think with a touch screen it could well be worth the labor/design/price as it could double as cctv monitor, as well as unlimited other display usage in addition to the server,print, and ip services.

Somehow, unless an oil drinker from dubai is the consumer I don't see how calling consumers idiot gadget buyers...is merited...especially as...

Nearly all new tech in the beginning has been called idiotic including airplanes when they were called aeroplanes; for an idiot gadget it sure gets you to your vacation spots quicker than any terestial transport does.

In point only an idiot would recognize tech advancement as non-essential

Processor Intel i5-6600
Motherboard ASRock H170M-ITX
Cooling Cooler Master Geminii S524
Memory G.Skill DDR4-2133 16GB (8GB x 2)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte R9-380X 4GB
Storage Samsung 950 EVO 250GB (mSATA)
Display(s) LG 29UM69G-B 2560x1080 IPS
Case Lian Li PC-Q25
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Seasonic SS-460FL2
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G110
Software Windows 10 Pro
I like the idea, and where it could go.

Need: Bigger screen.

Want: I've been very happy with the D-Link cameras I've used. PoE or wireless versions that display, perhaps even save the video on the router would be a nice feature.

Want: 8 gigabit ports.

System Name Blue Monolith (working on name)
Processor AMD Phenom II 1090T... on H2O
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD7
Cooling EK-Supreme with 2 radiators for the moment ~ 22 celsius
Memory Kingston HyperX 2x2GB DDR3 1600mhz 8-8-8-24 KHX1600C8D3K2
Video Card(s) hd 6870 Sapphire 1GB
Storage 8x 500GB Seagate Barracuda on LSI controller
Display(s) Samsung 206BW
Case Aplus Black Pearl WCR with water cooling mounts :)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-FI Platinum Fatal1ty Champion
Power Supply Gigabyte ODIN GT-800 (that with software)
Software Windows 7 Ultimate
Benchmark Scores WORKING IN PROGRESS P10464 in VANTAGE(this is the old score)
and we have a price for this?

System Name OptimusFine
Case Cooler Master H500M
VR HMD Oculus Rift
I don't know...I'm with lemonadesoda~!

While this edition could use some refinements I think with a touch screen it could well be worth the labor/design/price as it could double as cctv monitor, as well as unlimited other display usage in addition to the server,print, and ip services.

Somehow, unless an oil drinker from dubai is the consumer I don't see how calling consumers idiot gadget buyers...is merited...especially as...

Nearly all new tech in the beginning has been called idiotic including airplanes when they were called aeroplanes; for an idiot gadget it sure gets you to your vacation spots quicker than any terestial transport does.

In point only an idiot would recognize tech advancement as non-essential

I meant that people these days want a gadget to have billion features on it... I mean I wouldn't want my toaster to be a dvd player because it already exists, it's called a dvd player :p and as for the idiotic part your ideas are good but I was talking about this particular "router"... it's idiotic when you put useless, unpractical gadgets all together, and the fact that it is the only one that has these will make it very expensive and when rich people get togheter they think about what expensive crap to buy next and voila a router that displays photos

System Name Becca 2
Processor AMD A10 4600m quad core @ 2.3 ghz
Motherboard dunno
Cooling Logitech alto connect
Memory 16 Gig ddr3 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Ati HD 7660G + & 7470M
Storage 1 TB
Audio Device(s) onboard crap
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit with sp1
Yeah thats what i want to doing be looking at my router ill stick with ugly looking Dynalink.

thunder_2008

I meant that people these days want a gadget to have billion features on it... I mean I wouldn't want my toaster to be a dvd player because it already exists, it's called a dvd player :p and as for the idiotic part your ideas are good but I was talking about this particular "router"... it's idiotic when you put useless, unpractical gadgets all together, and the fact that it is the only one that has these will make it very expensive and when rich people get togheter they think about what expensive crap to buy next and voila a router that displays photos

Ahh...K...lol...now that you put it that way...I can see that in this item:D