• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

780I BSOD Hardware loop and Voltage Sticky

frankenchrist

System Name FrankenSLI
Processor QX6850 3800-4000 mhz X4 Lapped to Perfection (see benchies)
Motherboard XFX 780I TRI SLI Board
Cooling 2x Black Ice Ex. Rads, Heatkiller 2.0 Laing Pump, NB Cooler
Memory 4 GB Mushkin 1066 5-5-5-15
Video Card(s) 2 x MSI GTX 460 OC.
Storage WD SATA 500GB
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster 22.5
Case Thermaltake Armor
Audio Device(s) Creative
Power Supply Antec truepower 1000W
Software Windows 7
Benchmark Scores http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=481203 Sadly this beast would go sooo much further with
Good afternoon. I rescently purchased a XFX 780I 3 way SLI MB and a QX6850 Proc.
Everything has been screaming right along and stable for 2 weeks now and stable under Prime and 2 sets of Memtest Simotaniously overnight rock solid!

Last night I started getting Random BSOD's while playing Portal. They stated my hardware got stuck in a endless loop and it could be driver related. I have since reinstalled all of my MB and Vid card drivers and get the BSOD less but have random freeze ups every 15 seconds or so while gaming....

I also noticed that although I input 1.4 V core in my BIOS it is reading that I am only set at 1.32 through CPU ID (Idle and Load) and shows the same in BIOS under real time like it is stuck. *It is stuck!* Everytime I resave at 1.4v and go back my reading is still 1.32v

I have searched many sites and have found that many people have experienced both of these glitches but no one has any real answers? Has anyone seen this and what was done about it?

CH@NO

System Name Thank God you're back!!!
Processor Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.1GHz (stock)
Motherboard ECS H67H2-M3
Cooling Stock + 1 X 80mm Thermaltake red LED
Memory 1 X 4 GB Kingston 1333MHz DDR3
Video Card(s) coming soon
Storage 1TB Seagate SATAII + 500GB Hitachi USB (External)
Display(s) Samsung 20" LED Widescreen
Case coming soon
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek HD 6ch Audio
Power Supply Generic 450W with 20A on the 12v+ rail
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores coming soon
maybe the voltage issue could be due to the BIOS version, when I had my EP35-DS3L from Gigabyte with the defaukt BIOS I experienced the same problem, the Vcore doesn't keep it, updating the BIOS solved the problem.

EDIT: Also are you checked the temp of your vga, could be taking much heat, are you tried to run any other game?

frankenchrist

System Name FrankenSLI
Storage WD SATA 500GB
Case Thermaltake Armor
Audio Device(s) Creative
Software Windows 7
Benchmark Scores http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=481203 Sadly this beast would go sooo much further with
maybe the voltage issue could be due to the BIOS version, when I had my EP35-DS3L from Gigabyte with the defaukt BIOS I experienced the same problem, the Vcore doesn't keep it, updating the BIOS solved the problem.

EDIT: Also are you checked the temp of your vga, could be taking much heat, are you tried to run any other game?

Well I just got rid of the looping by reinstalling etc etc *Again* after a full CMOS reset *Again* and adding massive V-Core. I am unsure why this issue has just now arrived at my doorstep but my V-Drop (Not droop) is unbelievable. Voltages are (1.4125v) actual V-core through BIOS compared to (1.352) through CPU ID. I will try a new BIOS tonight and hopefully that will solve things.

CH@NO

System Name Thank God you're back!!!
Processor Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.1GHz (stock)
Motherboard ECS H67H2-M3
Cooling Stock + 1 X 80mm Thermaltake red LED
Memory 1 X 4 GB Kingston 1333MHz DDR3
Video Card(s) coming soon
Storage 1TB Seagate SATAII + 500GB Hitachi USB (External)
Display(s) Samsung 20" LED Widescreen
Case coming soon
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek HD 6ch Audio
Power Supply Generic 450W with 20A on the 12v+ rail
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores coming soon
good luck with that.

also many times a buggy BIOS can cause the problem, nothing to do unless the brand release a new one.

frankenchrist

System Name FrankenSLI
Storage WD SATA 500GB
Case Thermaltake Armor
Audio Device(s) Creative
Software Windows 7
Aye I have read about others with the voltage problem and flashing the BIOS has not helped. Some swear upon a pencil mod that fixes it but I am still yet to find one for the XFX 780I tri SLI. I am just in fear that the BIOS Voltage suddenly reverts and instantly doses me with 5.6 volts while away and running A Full in Prime LOL! *Poof*
good luck with that.

also many times a buggy BIOS can cause the problem, nothing to do unless the brand release a new one.