• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

CES 2009: Qnap

Darksaber

Senior Editor & Case Reviewer
Staff member
System Name Meshlicious Monster
Processor Intel Core i5-10600T
Motherboard MSI Z490I Unify
Cooling NZXT Kraken Z53 with 2x Noctua Redux 1300 RPM PWM fans
Memory ADATA 16 GB 3200 Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio
Storage TeamGroup 1TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Asus ProArt 27" 1440P, 75Hz
Case ssupd Meshlicious with mesh side panels
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion 660 W Platinum ATX
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro Wireless
Keyboard Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Home

QNAP is showing off their newest NAS enclosures. The first is a single hard drive enclosure, which also acts as a media center. It is one of the few out there, whiche manages 1080p output. It has all the usual connections as well as HDMI. There is a remote control included and the user interface is very clean and easy to use. But this is not the only new product - read on...

Their larger enclosures are also getting a refresh, with Atom based four and six hard drive NAS enclosures. These enclosures feature a large fan, for quiet operation and a display, which shows all kinds of information.

The largest, eight hard drive bay NAS unit actually utilizes a Core 2 Duo based system, This should make this the best performing such system on the market today. A rackmount based version is also available.

Then there is another very interesting and unique device. The company behind the QNAP brand - iEi is showing off an external enclosure which gives you the ability to drive four display in any imaginable configuration. All you need is a dual link based graphic card and you may connect four of these units to a master box, which gives you independent access to a whopping 16 screens. The upside when compared to current systems is not only the cheap price of around 800 US Dollars for each unit or 1200 US Dollars for the master box, but also hardware independecy, very low heat output and very low power requirements.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Last edited by a moderator:

PVTCaboose1337

Graphical Hacker
System Name Whim
Processor Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.4ghz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V LX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+
Memory 2 x 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670 2gb
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256gb, WD 2TB Black
Display(s) Shimian QH270 (1440p), Asus VE228 (1080p)
Case Cooler Master 430 Elite
Audio Device(s) Onboard > PA2V2 Amp > Senn 595's
Power Supply Corsair 750w
Software Windows 8.1 (Tweaked)
Never heard of the brand. The baby fan scares me next to that 120mm.

Exavier

Processor Q6600 G0 Stepping @3.4
Motherboard DFI LanParty DK P45 T2RS-PLUS
Cooling Fitseries3 Edition Fuzion v1, XSPC Razor X2, XSPC RS320, Hydor L30
Memory Crucial Ballistix @972mhz CL5
Video Card(s) Sapphire 4870X2 2GB
Storage Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB x2 (I need another OS drive LOL)
Display(s) Sony Bravia 40L4000 40" HDTV :D
Case Silverstone TJ07 (Mod is a WIP)
Power Supply Corsair HX620w
Software Windows Vista
IIRC TPU did a review on a QNAP enclosure...the idea of it with a low-heat atom makes me happy.

IIRC TPU did a review on a QNAP enclosure...the idea of it with a low-heat atom makes me happy.

Five of them. The Atom is a good choice I guess. The Arms used in lower end models simply lack performance, the Celerons used in higher end models perform very well though use more power. I think the Atom offer the best of both worlds. This goes for any NAS brand.