• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Monitor question: Is this a defect?

System Name Black Panther
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO Wifi 1.0
Cooling NZXT Kraken X72 360mm
Memory 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) Palit RTX2080 Ti Dual 11GB DDR6
Storage Samsung EVO 970 500GB SSD M.2 & 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm
Display(s) 32'' Gigabyte G32QC 2560x1440 165Hz
Case NZXT H710i Black
Audio Device(s) Razer Electra V2 & Z5500 Speakers
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850 Gold 80+
Mouse Some Corsair lost the box forgot the model
Keyboard Motospeed
Software Windows 10
We purchased 3 Benq monitors 20" 1680x1050 for work.

At their native resolution all 3 appear okay. However for the comfort of other people in the office I had to put them at 1280x768.

As a result... 2 appear fine while the 3rd one (which as Murphy's law wants it is the one I use the most) creates diagonal waves.

I checked and rechecked. At native resolution it's fine... at anything less there's the waves, which grow more conspicuous the lower the res.
I've swapped monitors... and it's still the same.

What is your opinion? Does the seller have the right to tell me it's not defective because it's meant to run at its native resolution?

D

Deleted member 38767

I don't think it is defect.
Most LCD/TFT don't work well when they are not at their native resolution.

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just a thought. I had a Princeton that if the refresh rate was set at anything other than 60Hz it would get weird lines or waves. And , I know the refresh rate should not apply to lcds, but it made it act weird.

nafets

It's defective, period. You have every right to ask for a replacement or return for a full refund, if within the purchase/warranty time limits.

It's supposed to work properly at any and all settings it was designed to be operated at. If all three displayed the same problem, I'd chalk it up to non-native resolution crapiness. But since only one of them shows the problem, while the other two are fine, I'd say your unit is less than properly working. If you sit on it and don't do anything it's possible the problem could spread to occuring during use at the native resolution. No point in being satisfied with a marginal product.

You can try messing with certain settings and possibly get rid of the waviness. If that's not possible, get a different one.

Last edited: