• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft Severance Pay Blunder Costs Mostly Unemployed Ex-Employees

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
System Name My Comp | Fiancees Comp
Processor i7 5820k @ 4.6Ghz 1.285v| i5 2500k
Motherboard MSI x99 SLI Plus | AsRock Z77 Pro 3
Cooling Watercooled
Memory 16GB DDR4 2400 @ 2666 | 12GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) AMD R9 290x | MSI 5850 OC
Storage 128gb SSD + 2x 2TB | 2TB
Display(s) Asus 27" LCD | 25" Hanns G
Case CM Storm | CM Elite 430
Audio Device(s) Creative Recon 3D PCIe
Power Supply Enermax Galaxy 1250W | Rosewill 630w
Mouse Logitech G700s | Logitech G100s
Keyboard Logitech G901 | Logitech G105
Software Win 8.1 Ultimate x64 | Win 8.1 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores 3D Mark - Fire Strike Extreme - 4403
It's really a moral issue more than anything, like if the cashier hands you a $100 instead of a $10, do you go back and give them $90 back.

The biggest reason that makes me think microsoft f'ed up, and the people can keep the cash is because I work in a garage. If you change the oil without customer consent, is he expected to pay for it anyways? But most certainly if the customer was entitled to an oil change and you didn't do it, but charged them, then they come back and you'd be changing the oil (and probably doing a little extra for them).

It's just a huge moral issue that no one can ever agree on, and microsoft was probably better off damage-control wise to let them keep the money than risk a battle of morals.

It's different than a cashier giving you money. When you go to a store and buy some cheeto's and it says $3.99 (you know there is tax) and you give them a $10 and get back a $10 that something is up. Now maybe you didn't realize they hand you a $10, but either way you got all the numbers right there.

When they say, "sorry you're going to be laid off, here's a severance package". They do not hand you a receipt with numbers on it showing why you are getting what you got. So now here your the guy thinking, "this blows I have to find a job in a declining job market." This sounds easy, anyone can find a job, even if it is McD's, but odds are having a nice job like that you got some expenses, a nice house, nice car or two, some kids. And a McD's job just isn't going to keep you from going bankrupt.

Now either way they were sitting here thinking, sweet I got this large sum of money! That doesn't matter when you know the whole job market is crap. They are most likely thinking how long this will get them buy till they find a decent job. Setting up plans and such, then MS comes along and says, sorry guys we need some of that back.

You go hand a homeless man $20 then go and tell him you want $5 back and see how that goes.

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Processor Intel Kentsfield Q9650 @ 3.8GHz (4.2GHz highest achieved)
Motherboard ASUS P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi; X38 NSB, ICH9R SSB
Cooling Delta V3 block, XPSC res, 120x3 rad, ST 1/2" pump - 10 fans, SYSTRIN HDD cooler, Antec HDD cooler
Memory Dual channel 8GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 @ 1800MHz @ 7-7-7-20 1T
Video Card(s) Quadfire: (2) Sapphire HD5970
Storage (2) WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA-300; WD 320GB SATA-300; WD 200GB UATA + WD 160GB UATA
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster T240 24" (16:10)
Case Cooler Master Stacker 830
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro PCI-E x1
Power Supply Kingwin Mach1 1200W modular
Software Windows XP Home SP3; Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Benchmark Scores 3m06: 20270 here: http://hwbot.org/user.do?userId=12313
So in the end it effected a whole 25 people, and the amount was between $4000 and $5000, that has to be one huge severance package for a mistake to be that large in sum.

The mistake also meant that about 20 people were under-paid. I guess buy your guy's views, Microsoft should get to keep that money, right? I mean, people can't have their cake and eat it too. If Microsoft has to stick by the error that they made, then it doesn't matter if it is in favor of Microsoft or not.

20 people were underpaid? Based on what, that 25 people were overpaid?

It doesn't always work like that. Besides, if an employee did turn out to be underpaid, MS would be under legal obligation to pay them their full share in full - as per whatever agreement the employees had signed during their stay, or signed onto when hired.

As to a company being able to reclaim any overpayments, it's largely based upon the state in which the company resides. For most states, though, the company is entitled to - when it comes to actual payroll earnings . . . severance packages can be viewed entirelly different as they are not typically something that's part of the employees "wages and benefits." It's a buy out, the company is making the employees and offer if they were to go ahead and resign . . . instead of the forthcoming inevitable pink slip with no pay.

Some states can and do view such severance packages as part of an employee's earnings and income, but not contractual. In which case, any overpay on part of the company, and it could end up being declared a "business loss" should it ever go to court, and the company is still out of their money. Again, it entirelly depends on state law.

Either way, MS screwed up. They took the right action by sending the former employees a letter notifying them of the mistake, and asking for repayment (notice in the letter, MS hasn't demanded the amount to be returned, simply requested). It's in the employees hands, they can more than likely work something out with MS - either payment in full, monthly amounts, or even negotiate the amount owed . . . failure of the employee to respond at all, and it could possibly end up in court.

Plain and simple - both sides are wrong, and both sides are right.

System Name BumBumBox
Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard ITX
Cooling AIO
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) 3080ti
Storage 2TB
Software Win11
This can go anyway you want to take it. There is bad and there is worse. Things happen.
If I was the guy getting the extra money I wouldn't want to give it back.
But if I was the owner in the company I would want it back. its greed
but most likely if I was the owner or whatever and was as big a MS I would just let them keep it.
But I'm not going to turn around and say MS is wrong tho.

System Name 2nd AMD puppy
Processor FX-8350 vishera
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper TX2
Memory 16 Gb DDR3:8GB Kingston HyperX Beast + 8Gb G.Skill Sniper(by courtesy of tabascosauz &TPU)
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+;1450/2000 Mhz
Storage SSD :840 pro 128 Gb;Iridium pro 240Gb ; HDD 2xWD-1Tb
Display(s) Benq XL2730Z 144 Hz freesync
Case NZXT 820 PHANTOM
Audio Device(s) Audigy SE with Logitech Z-5500
Power Supply Riotoro Enigma G2 850W
Mouse Razer copperhead / Gamdias zeus (by courtesy of sneekypeet & TPU)
Keyboard MS Sidewinder x4
Software win10 64bit ltsc
Benchmark Scores irrelevant for me
they calculate the payments with own software which has a "fatal error" somewhere...:roll: :nutkick:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
20 people were underpaid? Based on what, that 25 people were overpaid?

It doesn't always work like that. Besides, if an employee did turn out to be underpaid, MS would be under legal obligation to pay them their full share in full - as per whatever agreement the employees had signed during their stay, or signed onto when hired.

Base on this, which linkin posted a few posts before mine. Try reading next time.

If there is no legal obligation for the employee to have to return any overpayments, then there is no legal obligation for Microsoft to return the underpayments either. And even still, most here don't care about the legal aspect. What I was talking about were the people say "Microsoft screwed up, now they have to live with it". Well yeah, they did, so I guess those 20 employees that got underpaid are screwed by most people here's logic.

DrPepper

The Doctor is in the house
System Name Rusky
Processor Intel Core i7 D0 3.8Ghz
Motherboard Asus P6T
Cooling Thermaltake Dark Knight
Memory 12GB Patriot Viper's 1866mhz 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) GTX470 1280MB
Storage OCZ Summit 60GB + Samsung 1TB + Samsung 2TB
Display(s) Sharp Aquos L32X20E 1920 x 1080
Case Silverstone Raven RV01
Power Supply Corsair 650 Watt
Software Windows 7 x64
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06 - 18064 http://img.techpowerup.org/090720/Capture002.jpg

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Base on this, which linkin posted a few posts before mine. Try reading next time.

If there is no legal obligation for the employee to have to return any overpayments, then there is no legal obligation for Microsoft to return the underpayments either. And even still, most here don't care about the legal aspect. What I was talking about were the people say "Microsoft screwed up, now they have to live with it". Well yeah, they did, so I guess those 20 employees that got underpaid are screwed by most people here's logic.
The people at the receiving end of the money can't be held accountable in any way, shape, or form, for a mistake made by someone currently under the employ of Microsoft. Microsoft would have to prove that those people that received extra money were tied to some criminal plot in order to require it be returned. Basically, so long as it was an accounting accident and not criminal, the people who screwed it up in the first place will be taking the fall, not the people who received it.

Microsoft admitted it was accidental and not criminal so, if Microsoft were to take it to court now, they wouldn't stand a chance unless they have substantial evidence that proves it was criminal.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
The people at the receiving end of the money can't be held accountable in any way, shape, or form, for a mistake made by someone currently under the employ of Microsoft. Microsoft would have to prove that those people that received extra money were tied to some criminal plot in order to require it be returned. Basically, so long as it was an accounting accident and not criminal, the people who screwed it up in the first place will be taking the fall, not the people who received it.

Microsoft admitted it was accidental and not criminal so, if Microsoft were to take it to court now, they wouldn't stand a chance unless they have substantial evidence that proves it was criminal.

It doesn't have to be criminal for Microsoft to legally get the money back. Payroll overpayments(and underpayments) happen daily, and the company has every legal right to get the money back, nothing criminal about it.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Checks are legally binding contracts from the moment it is signed by the author. The only way Microsoft could undo what it already authorized is to tell the bank to stop payment (or voided before they are released) before they are deposited. Once the checks are deposited, Microsoft can only sue or appeal to those employee's good nature. If they were still employees, they could have threatened to fire if the money is not returned (could go either way in that case). There is no legal statute, anywhere, that says employees who were over paid as the result of an accounting error need to return the excess funds. Microsoft has no one to blame but themselves.

If it were criminal, (someone was funnelling excess funds away to eventually have those people pay it back, for instance) the law would be on Microsoft's side.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Checks are legally binding contracts from the moment it is signed by the author. The only way Microsoft could undo what it already authorized is to tell the bank to stop payment (or voided before they are released) before they are deposited. Once the checks are deposited, Microsoft can only sue or appeal to those employee's good nature. If they were still employees, they could have threatened to fire if the money is not returned (could go either way in that case). There is no legal statute, anywhere, that says employees who were over paid as the result of an accounting error need to return the excess funds. Microsoft has no one to blame but themselves.

If it were criminal, (someone was funnelling excess funds away to eventually have those people pay it back, for instance) the law would be on Microsoft's side.

You have a very wrong concept of how things work. I suggest you educate yourself.

Just because one entity writes a check and gives it to another entity, that doesn't mean the first entity can't legally get the money back if the check was an error. Checks are not legally binding contracts, they are only representations of money used to transfer money from one entity to another. There are exceptions to this. A check can be used as legally binding if "Final Payment" or "Payment in Full" etc. is writen in the memo line. If the party cashes the check with such phrases writen on them, then it is considered that the party cashing the check is in agreement with it. Again, this is something that varies greatly from state to state though.

There are plenty of legal statutes stating that an overpayment may be collected by the employer, of course they vary from state to state. Indiana Code 22-2-6-4 covers the what rules the employer has to follow to deduct the money from the employee's pay. Clearly giving legal statute that overpayments can be collected by the employer. I'm sure other states have similar laws governing this. In any event, the employee must return any overpayment, regardless of state, as long as the overpayment was caught and the employee was notified in a timely manner(again what constitutes a timely manner varies from state to state, but in this situation they were notified in under 10 days, which would be considered a timely manner in any state). Yes, the employee can try to fight it, but in the end the company is entitled to sue the person, and the company would win in any US court.

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
Think of it like this... how much money does MS spend on PR to look good in the eyes of the consumer? More than $125,000, i would imagine.

And how quickly they look like a bunch of cheap idiots in one move, for $125,000? Lol big time fail.

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name OrangeHaze / Silence
Processor i7-13700KF / i5-10400 /
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z690-E / MSI Z490 A-Pro Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H75 / TT ToughAir 510
Memory 64Gb GSkill Trident Z5 / 32GB Team Dark Za 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2070 / Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X 4Gb
Storage Hynix Plat P41 2Tb\Samsung MZVL21 1Tb / Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 22" Dell Wide/24" Asus
Case Lian Li PC-101 ATX custom mod / Antec Lanboy Air Black & Blue
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless / Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard K68 RGB — CHERRY® MX Red
Software Win10 Pro \ RIP:Win 7 Ult 64 bit

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Processor Intel Kentsfield Q9650 @ 3.8GHz (4.2GHz highest achieved)
Motherboard ASUS P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi; X38 NSB, ICH9R SSB
Cooling Delta V3 block, XPSC res, 120x3 rad, ST 1/2" pump - 10 fans, SYSTRIN HDD cooler, Antec HDD cooler
Memory Dual channel 8GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 @ 1800MHz @ 7-7-7-20 1T
Video Card(s) Quadfire: (2) Sapphire HD5970
Storage (2) WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA-300; WD 320GB SATA-300; WD 200GB UATA + WD 160GB UATA
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster T240 24" (16:10)
Case Cooler Master Stacker 830
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro PCI-E x1
Power Supply Kingwin Mach1 1200W modular
Software Windows XP Home SP3; Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Benchmark Scores 3m06: 20270 here: http://hwbot.org/user.do?userId=12313

rather blunt statement from you right there. The link that Linkin had posted I had figured lead to the update in the OP as it had been thanked by btarunr, and I don't always double-check most links out of the repetivie nature they generally turn out to be.

Try being a little less uncouth in how you present your statements. It's something that seems to come up occasionally based upon how you respond to others.

I didn't say there wouldn't be any legal obligation for the ex-employees to return the funds . . . or didn't you read [/i]my[/i] post? It entirelly depends upon the state legistalture . . . and last I checked, I know absolutely squat about WA state law.

Otherwise, the money that MS owes to the ex-employees that were underpaid - MS would be under federal mandated law to pay them the amount that is owed.

Although most here don't seem to care about any legal aspect, that's aside the point as there is definitely a legal aspect involved.

We're beyond any moral obligations here, though. If the ex-employees that were over payed don't want to pay MS, that's their deal. MS has already taken the proper course of action by informing the former employees of the mistake, and requesting the payment to be returned, and that the former employees can contact MS to work things out. If the former employees don't return the money, and MS decides to take them to court for it - MS is already on better ground than they would be.

If a former employee doesn't feel they're entitled to repaying the full amount, they're more than willing to contact MS and negotiate the situation as well.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Indiana Code 22-2-6-4 covers the what rules the employer has to follow to deduct the money from the employee's pay.
Sure, they could deduct it from the next pay check but there is no "next paycheck" for the employees they fired. As I stated before, the only way Microsoft could get the money is to beg for it or sue the employees that received too much. If the checks weren't deposited yet, they could stop payment and issue correct checks. Once the check has been deposited, the ball is in the judicial court system.

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
Sure, they could deduct it from the next pay check but there is no "next paycheck" for the employees they fired. As I stated before, the only way Microsoft could get the money is to beg for it or sue the employees that received too much. If the checks weren't deposited yet, they could stop payment and issue correct checks. Once the check has been deposited, the ball is in the judicial court system.

it depends on where the error was made... if it was a payroll error, then the employees HAVE to give it back. i.e. bank of america - ee's signed severance agreements which paid them for 4 weeks, there was a payroll error and they got an extra week... later on when BOA did an audit and figured it out, the EE's had to give back the money even after they were not employed - since they signed an agreement specifying how much they should have recieved.

If its an HR error, then its a different story.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
True, because the contract specifically states an amount and that amount was exceeded.