• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

computer does not power on

holymongol

I was fitting a system with these components:

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
8800GT
2x2GB OCZ Reaper @ 1066mhz
550W VX Corsair

Unfortunately the system would not turn on at all. I have tried fitting only the graphics card, processor, power supply, and memory. Which does not work. I have tested the power supply and that does seem to be working. I thought the motherboard was faulty so I got an RMA. It appears it is not faulty.

So the question is, what else could be causing this problem?

T

TechnicalFreak

Check that all connections to do with "power" are connected. I.e. to power up the mobo. Also check that the small connectors for "RESET", "HDD" , "POWER" etc. are connected correctly.

holymongol

thanks for quick reply,

there are two pins for power sw, one side is +ve and the other is -ve, does it matter which way i fit these into the motherboard?

System Name First Build :D
Processor Q6600 SLACR @ 3.2 GHz
Motherboard Asus P5Q Pro
Cooling Asus Silent Square
Memory 2 x 2GB GSkill @ 962MHz
Video Card(s) VisionTek 4870 512MB @ 825/975
Storage Seagate Barracuda 750GB
Display(s) Samsung 943NWX 19"
Case Gigabyte GZ X1
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC 1200 (yes, its onboard :) )
Power Supply FSP 700W
Software Windows Vista 64 service pack 1
I dont think the power switch polarity matters.
Is there an LED or something similar on your motherboard ? If there is, does it light up ?

System Name CanOWorms
Processor Ryzen 5 1600
Motherboard ASRock AB350M
Memory 16GB @ 2933
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce 1050 Ti
Storage 256GB MX100 & 1TB WD Blue
Display(s) Samsung 40" 4K TV
Case Cougar MX330
Power Supply Seasonic M12II Evo
Mouse Gamdias Demeter
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Win10
Of course the power switch has to be plugged in the right way. If you didn't already try plugging in the power switch the other way that's just knuckle-headed. Not to say all systems are bugged by it, but some I've ran across were and I wouldn't doubt if modern systems specifically stated +/- for the power pins that they'd be picky about it.

Now if everything is plugged in right (power switch to power pins, PSU to mobo, PSU does work and mobo isn't fried) it should at the very least show signs of life, a busted CPU or RAM should not keep your board from powering on, maybe from POST but not power.

holymongol

There are 5 LED lights on the motherboard (GA-EP45-UD3) which are placed in a column - I'm not really sure what these are for, but there was no sign of life from these lights while powering up the computer.

As for the pins, I have tried both positions with no success, the power LED does not come on, the CPU fan (Xigmatek HDT-1283) and case fans do not spin, nothing happens.

But I do know the power supply (550W VX Corsair) works as I am currently using it with an older system build together with the new case (CM-690) that I bought with it.

System Name CanOWorms
Processor Ryzen 5 1600
Memory 16GB @ 2933
Case Cougar MX330
Mouse Gamdias Demeter
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Win10
Since you're not gettin anyone else to step in to help on this one, I'm gonna give the only advice I possibly could as system builder for 14 years. This is the weirdest thing ever. Go somewhere local and get a motherboard that you can afford, I mean my system board cost $50, so give it a go. Plug that new board into all that same stuff and see if it works. If not, then I dunno, coz like I said bad RAM/CPU should at least make your board power up, the only issue here can be the PSU or the mobo itself. Maybe you need to call the RMA department and chew them a new one.

System Name Wasleys PC
Processor Intel i5 2400 3.10GHz
Motherboard Asus P8z68-V
Cooling AC Freezer Pro
Memory Kingston 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 Hyperx Memory
Video Card(s) HIS ATi 6850 1GB DDR3
Storage Seagate ST3500320AS 500GB Hard Drive SATA II 7200rpm *32MB Cache*
Case Antec 900 with mods
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply OCZ Stealth Xtream 500W
Software Windows 7
check that the small connectors connected correctly.

System Name CanOWorms
Processor Ryzen 5 1600
Memory 16GB @ 2933
Case Cougar MX330
Mouse Gamdias Demeter
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Win10
OOH, also, another one that just popped into my head. I heard a story from a guy who went through hell trying to figure out why his brand new expensive setup wouldn't do anything. He found out that the power button on the case was faulty/loose and wouldn't make a connection so it was like he wasn't even trying to turn it on at all. If you're using a new and untested case, give that a go.

Clivuss

Could you have accidentally left the CLR_CMOS jumper covered? (or are the pins bent and touching) - This would cause the same symptom. Something else you could check is all the PSU Power and small case connections - to ensure that the connecting pins have not slipped back inside their sheaths, so they're not actually making contact with the mobo. The other thing I've seen that can cause this is when the case connections (Hdd/Reset/Power/MSG LED) are incorrectly seated on the wrong terminals. Good luck.

System Name Barb's Domain
Processor i9 10850k 5.1GHz all cores
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI
Cooling Deep Cool Assassin III
Memory 2*16gig Corsair LPX DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) RTX 4080 FE
Storage 500gb Samsung 980 Pro M2 SSD, 500GB WD Blue SATA SSD, 2TB Seagate Hybrid SSHD
Display(s) Dell - S3222DGM 32" 2k Curved/ASUS VP28UQG 28" 4K (ran at 2k), Sanyo 75" 4k TV
Case SilverStone Fortress FT04
Audio Device(s) Bose Companion II speakers, Corsair - HS70 PRO headphones
Power Supply Corsair RM850x (2021)
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech Orion Spectrum G910
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/34962882
Is there anywhere on the motherboard that might be touching the case and grounding out the motherboard?

troyrae360

System Name My Computer!
Processor AMD 6400+ Black @ 3.5
Motherboard Gigabyte AM2+ GA-MA790X DS4
Cooling Gigabyte G-Power 2 pro
Memory 2x2 gig Adata 800
Video Card(s) HD3870x2 @ 900gpu and 999mem
Storage 2x wd raid edition 120gig + 1 samsung 320 + samsung 250
Display(s) Samsung 40inch series6 full HD 1080p
Case NZXT Lexa
Audio Device(s) ALC889A HD audio with Enables a Superior Audio Experience (on board)
Power Supply Vantec ION2+ 550w
Software Vista Home pream 64
Could you have accidentally left the CLR_CMOS jumper covered? (or are the pins bent and touching) - This would cause the same symptom. Something else you could check is all the PSU Power and small case connections - to ensure that the connecting pins have not slipped back inside their sheaths, so they're not actually making contact with the mobo. The other thing I've seen that can cause this is when the case connections (Hdd/Reset/Power/MSG LED) are incorrectly seated on the wrong terminals. Good luck.

Yea, read the manual that come with the mobo, make sure Hdd/Reset/Power/MSG LED are all pluged in propley.

also check without GFX card in, see if the fans are spinning up or is the whole thing compleatley dead, no fans no nuthing? dose the fan on your PSU spin up?

Clivuss

You said you had tested the PSU - Did you actually swap it out and try it on another system or use spare PSU on your GA-EP45-UD3R? If not, do that (It doesn't have to be a Gucci one - just any compatible PSU - so that you can test the Mobo's actually receiving and distributing the power. Could be that the PSU's maybe Lancing-Bagnalled.

T

TechnicalFreak

Something that I forgot to ask, a friend of mine had a similar problem. He just forgot to put the CPU's fan connector in. It had this "failsafe" would not power on if not connected...
On your system that connector is located just above the memory banks, correct?

And is also the 2x4 12V connector properly connected?