• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Video card's clock rate keeps resetting!

eatwasabi

Hi. I have a really crappy comp. 1.7 ghz P4 512 rdram.

I recently bought a new video card just so I can play this game. It's a Visiontek Xtasy radeon 9550 (I know, I know).

Now the default clock rate for this card is 250 core and 195 memory.

I'm trying to overclock it and I put it at 390/205. When I play WoW with this, the clock rate would change back at random times. I don't know if this is an overheating issue or what. But it could be 2 hrs into the game or 30 minute, the screen would blank out for 5 seconds then change back.

I installed the ATI Softmod drivers found on this site: http://www.techpowerup.com/softmod/

And I used ATI Tool to change the clock. The clock would keep resetting so I decided to try Radlinker. Same problem. So any ideas? Should I try to change the bios? Or try a different modded drivers? What other modded drivers are out there?

Also for some reason the Omega Drivers doesn't work for me (said's device cannot be started in Device manager)

Thanks for any help.

A

ADV4NCED

Use the clock Lock option on ATI Tool to remove the clock lock on your card. Thats the reason your clock speeds keep resetting. Ermm.... maybe i'm just paranoid but 390/205 for your card is NUTZ!!!!! You cant OC the core of the card by 140mhz!! What cooling are you using for your card?

eatwasabi

What cooling system? :) It's on the stock no fan one. :rolleyes: Also the remove clock rock option was checked.

gerrynicol

System Name Home built
Processor Core i7-920 4.0Ghz
Motherboard Asus P6t OC
Cooling Akasa Nero
Memory 6GB G.Skill DDR3 PC3-1348Mhz
Video Card(s) XFX GTX 285 SLi
Storage 160GB, 250GB, 320GB
Display(s) 24" dell(1920X1200)
Case Coolermaster HAF
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Prelude, logitech Z5500
Power Supply Corsair HX 1K
Software 7 ultimate 64
Like eatwasabi said, better cooling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.