• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Fan types and differences.

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
Just wondering if there's much difference when the blade count is higher or lower.

For example you see some with 3 7(typical) or even more and how this effects the noise level of the fan. I'm think ing that more blades would course less noise due to each blade would be moving less air right ?.

so if you have a 3 fans that are the same but have different blade count which be the better do you think ?. and for what it be better for.

Another question is whats the best fan if it's close to filter heatsink for a few examples as some say there more made for that sort of thing all though i dought it that it makes all that much difference.

EDIT: Forgot to add that noise to one is different to another person like sound from a hifi. So that said just after what you think is better.

Different fan blade count make different tones of sound ?. would this be the best way of thinking ?.

Last edited:
System Name ATLAS
Processor Intel Core i7-4770 (4C/8T) Haswell
Motherboard GA-Z87X-UD5H , Dual Intel LAN, 10x SATA, 16x Power phace.
Cooling ProlimaTech Armageddon - Dual GELID 140 Silent PWM
Memory Mushkin Blackline DDR3 2400 997123F 16GB
Video Card(s) MSI GTX1060 OC 6GB (single fan) Micron
Storage WD Raptors 73Gb - Raid1 10.000rpm
Display(s) DELL U2311H
Case HEC Compucase CI-6919 Full tower (2003) moded .. hec-group.com.tw
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Music + mods, Audigy front Panel - YAMAHA quad speakers with Sub.
Power Supply HPU-4M780-PE refurbished 23-3-2022
Mouse MS Pro IntelliMouse 16.000 Dpi Pixart Paw 3389
Keyboard Microsoft Wired 600
Software Win 7 Pro x64 ( Retail Box ) for EU
Nice subject for dialog , but cheap as presentation .

Instead of starting a dialog from ground point , you should had to investigate more ,
throw about 60$ getting and testing some fans , and then we will talk about the details.

I have do that ... spent money ... we all did ... how in earth we will get an opinion with out losing money.

System Name Dream Weaver
Processor Ryzen 5600
Motherboard B450 MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling NH-D14
Memory 16GB Flare X @ 3200MHz CL14
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vega 64 Nitro+
Storage 500GB evo 970 m.2 + 4TB HDDs
Display(s) ASUS 27" 1440p 144hz FreeSync
Case Fractal Design Define R3
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Software Windows 10 x64

karlotta

Nice subject for dialog , but cheap as presentation .

Instead of starting a dialog from ground point , you should had to investigate more ,
throw about 60$ getting and testing some fans , and then we will talk about the details.

I have do that ... spent money ... we all did ... how in earth we will get an opinion with out losing money.
:wtf::confused::ohwell:

Anyways, Silent PC has good info too.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Pro Wifi II
Cooling Hyper 212 EVO v2
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR4-4000
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6750 XT
Storage WD Black SN850 2TB, various other SSD's from ages past
Display(s) LG 27GL850 1440@144, AG Neovo EM2701QC 1440@75
Case Zophos EVO Silent by Raijintek
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud II Wireless headphones
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse ProtoArc EM01
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow X Chroma Mercury
Software Windows 11 Pro
Just wondering if there's much difference when the blade count is higher or lower.

For example you see some with 3 7(typical) or even more and how this effects the noise level of the fan. I'm think ing that more blades would course less noise due to each blade would be moving less air right ?.

so if you have a 3 fans that are the same but have different blade count which be the better do you think ?. and for what it be better for.

Another question is whats the best fan if it's close to filter heatsink for a few examples as some say there more made for that sort of thing all though i dought it that it makes all that much difference.

EDIT: Forgot to add that noise to one is different to another person like sound from a hifi. So that said just after what you think is better.

Different fan blade count make different tones of sound ?. would this be the best way of thinking ?.

I've got tons of screaming fans.:laugh:

From my experience, fans with lots of blades are almost always audible, regardless of the speed they run at. It is a significantly different sound, and at high speeds (where all fans should run anyways), I find they are more prone to fade into the background. Less blades with larger surface area are more ideal for lower speeds as they can typically go inaudible. I use a 13-blade fan on my second rig to cool a 2600XT. At full speed it hits about 4k RPM's, and you can hear it from across the room. A similar 6 blade fan at the same speed will cause additional vibration due to larger amounts of pressure being created by the increased surface area. It's this vibration at high speeds that makes the sound unpleasant to me. A fan with more blades will split up that pressure.

Another point to make, is that fans with more blades are more apt to blow INTO things, whereas larger blades are better at sucking air out. Intake/exhaust fans should be larger/less blades, whereas a CPU/GPU with the fan blowing into the HS will see better returns with more/smaller blades.

Noctua had an interesting design with their fans that can decrease the pressure on large blades by adding precise notches. It allows them to act closer to a fan with more blades, without causing the same sounds, and also reducing the vibration. Only problem, is they're incredibly ugly. :laugh:

There's tons of information on teh internets. You'll never know which one sounds good to you until you hear it though. Occasionally some review sites will take a recording of the fans at different distances, those would help to determine which sounds good to you.