• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GIGABYTE Releases Ultra Durable VGA (UDV) Technology

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
GIGABYTE Technology Co. LTD., a leading manufacturer of motherboards and graphics cards, today launched the latest GIGABYTE unique technology: Ultra Durable VGA. GIGABYTE latest innovative technology-Ultra Durable VGA features 2 oz copper PCB board, Samsung/Hynix memory, Japanese solid capacitor, Ferrite Core Chokes, and Low RDS (on) MOSFET to deliver incredibly low GPU temperature, unrivaled overclocking capability, low power switching loss, and guaranteed longer life. Compared with traditional graphics accelerators, Ultra Durable VGA graphics accelerators can lower GPU temperature by 5%~10%, lower power switching loss by 10%~30%, and increase overclocking capability by 10%~30%. GIGABYTE Ultra Durable VGA graphics accelerators can provide truly both "high-performanced" and "green" graphic card resolutions.

GIGABYTE Unique Technology: Ultra Durable VGA with 5 High Quality Components

GIGABYTE Ultra Durable VGA adopts 5 high quality components to make best graphics accelerators:
  • 2 oz Copper PCB Board: 2 oz copper PCB board doubles the copper inner layer of PCB board and provides unrivaled performance compared with traditional 1 oz PCB board.
  • Tier 1 Samsung and Hynix Memory: Ultra Durable VGA promises 1st tier Samsung/Hynix memory built with 100% fully testing.
  • Japanese Solid Capacitor: Solid capacitors contain a solid organic polymer, while electrolytic capacitors use a common liquid electrolyte. Our cards use Japanese solid capacitors made by leading Japanese manufactures and offer better electronic conductivity for unrivaled performance.
  • Ferrite Core Chokes: Ferrite core chokes are comprised of a compound of iron-oxide whose properties hold energy much longer than common iron-core chokes at high frequency. They are able to store energy longer and prevent rapid energy loss at high frequency.
  • Low RDS (on) MOSFET: Lower RDS(on) MOSFETs are specially designed to produce lower switching resistance for faster electric current charging and discharging.

Ultra Durable VGA Unique Features:

GPU Temperature 5%-10% Down: 2 oz copper PCB board provides dramatic cooling effect on lowering both GPU and memory temperature by doubling the copper inner layer of PCB. In addition, Japanese Solid Capacitor, Ferrite Core Chokes, and Low RDS (on) MOSFET can reduce heat production and the whole GIGABYTE Ultra Durable VGA design can lower GPU temperature by 5% to 10%.

Overclocking Capability 10%-30% Up: Ultra Durable VGA reduces voltage ripples in normal and transient state, thus effectively lowers power noises and ensures higher overclocking capability. GIGABYTE Ultra Durable VGA graphic accelerators improve overclocking capability by 10% to 30%.

Power Switching Loss 10%-30% Down: Ultra Durable VGA allows more bandwidth for electron passage and reduces circuit impedance. The reduction of circuit impedance will provide stable current flow and thus improving power efficiency. GIGABYTE Ultra Durable VGA can lower power switching loss by 10% to 30%.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor Intel i5 12600KF
Motherboard MSI PRO Z690-P DDR4, Socket 1700
Cooling MSI Ventus AIO
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 32GB, DDR4, 3200MHz
Video Card(s) MSI VentusRTX 3060 12Gb
Storage XPS 1TB | 2x Kingston 2TB Sata | Sinology 4TB (Raid1) |
Display(s) 24" Dell U2417H
Case Msi Mpg Odin
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC887 + Microlab Solo 6C
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME TX-750, 80
Mouse Razer
Keyboard Razer
Software Windows 10 x64
So far I'm happy with my "ultra durable" motherboard. Compared to Asus, the line between marketing and actual technical excellency is drawn somewhat closer to reality. Hope these cards are as good as they sound.

PCpraiser100

System Name REBEL R1
Processor Core i7 920
Motherboard ASUS P6T
Cooling Stock
Memory 6GB OCZ GOLD TC LV Kit 1866MHz@1.65V 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) Two Sapphire HD 5770 Vapor-X Xfire'd and OC'd (920/1330)
Storage Seagate 7200.11 500GB 32MB
Case Antec Three Hundred
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar D1 PCI Sound Card
Power Supply OCZ StealthXStream 500W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Benchmark Scores 16585 Performance Score on 3DMark Vantage
This will definitely support the HD 4000 series very well in overclocking.

I have to admit that in the past Gigabyte video cards that I have used have performed far better than same-GPU offerings from other makers. (Thinks back to my old nVidia 5500's)

Gigabyte card was way faster than for example a Leadtech of the exact same ram/buswidth.

KBD

Processor Intel e8600 @ 4.9 Ghz
Motherboard DFI Lanparty DK X48-T2RSB Plus
Cooling Water
Memory 2GB (2 x 1GB) of Buffalo Firestix DDR2-1066
Video Card(s) MSI Radeon HD 4870 1GB OC (820/950) & tweaking
Storage 2x 74GB Velociraptors in RAID 0; 320 GB Barracuda 7200.10
Display(s) 22" Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2070SB
Case Silverstone TJ09-BW
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Profesional
Power Supply Ultra X3 800W
Software Windows XP Pro w/ SP3
I though they already had Ultra Durable cards, i think they even called then Ultra Durable 2 just like with their mobos.

Makes sense for them to do this. They are already buying the components for their mobo lines. As for whether it really is better than the rest, I think that is arguable. Some cards are shite, but others are built with HQ components too. Even electrolytic caps can be perfectly fine. I have a few mobos from the '90s with such caps and they still work.

I think the "bad caps" era during which the industrial espionage and incorrect electrolyte formula were running around gave these companies an opportunity to give us some intangibly better hardware and market it easily. Who's really planning on taking advantage of the extra years that these parts offer? >10 year old mobos aren't exactly all the rage.

Makes sense for them to do this. They are already buying the components for their mobo lines. As for whether it really is better than the rest, I think that is arguable. Some cards are shite, but others are built with HQ components too. Even electrolytic caps can be perfectly fine. I have a few mobos from the '90s with such caps and they still work.

I think the "bad caps" era during which the industrial espionage and incorrect electrolyte formula were running around gave these companies an opportunity to give us some intangibly better hardware and market it easily. Who's really planning on taking advantage of the extra years that these parts offer? >10 year old mobos aren't exactly all the rage.

The UD3 boards have been proven to run cooler and overclock better anyway, so towards your "as for whther it is really better than the rest" it is.

The VGAs are where I expect to see a huge improvement in terms of cooling goes, as we've already seen what happens with the motherboards; 10*C drop in temperatures. I'd expect the phases to moreover run cooler with virtually 2x less resistance.

System Name MASTER
Processor Core i7 3930k run at 4.4ghz
Motherboard Asus Rampage IV extreme
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 4x4G kingston hyperx beast 2400mhz
Video Card(s) 2X EVGA GTX680
Storage 2X Crusial M4 256g raid0, 1TbWD g, 2x500 WD B
Display(s) Samsung 27' 1080P LED 3D monitior 2ms
Case CoolerMaster Chosmos II
Audio Device(s) Creative sound blaster X-FI Titanum champion,Creative speakers 7.1 T7900
Power Supply Corsair 1200i, Logitch G500 Mouse, headset Corsair vengeance 1500
Software Win7 64bit Ultimate
Benchmark Scores 3d mark 2011: testing
like UD3 mobo's , but i like this great rams still on gigabyte cards
Tier 1 Samsung and Hynix Memory: Ultra Durable VGA promises 1st tier Samsung/Hynix memory built with 100% fully testing.