• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New VIA VX855 Media System Processor Brings Power-Efficiency to 1080p HD Playback

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
VIA Technologies, Inc, a leading innovator of power efficient x86 processor platforms, today announced the VIA VX855 Media System Processor (MSP) - an ultra power efficient, all-in-one chipset that addresses the key performance and entertainment requirements of today's small form factor and mobile PC systems.

Increasingly, content is being filmed in high-definition (HD), with movies, TV shows and sporting events taking advantage of the smooth playback, extraordinary picture clarity, and brilliant colors that HD video offers. However, until now the high bit-rates associated with quality HD video have posed a real challenge to the processing capabilities of power efficient PC systems such as those found in small form factor and mobile devices.

Set to be Microsoft Windows 7-ready, the VIA VX855 MSP solves the problem by offering support for full hardware acceleration of the widest variety of leading video standards including H.264, MPEG-2/4, VC-1 and WMV9, greatly reducing the workload and thus the power consumption of the processor.

"For the first time, system developers have an ultra low power media system processor that delivers high bit-rate HD video to small form factor and mobile devices," said Richard Brown, Vice President of Marketing, VIA Technologies, Inc. "The VIA VX855 opens up exciting opportunities for several PC segments, particularly the mini-notebook category that will now be able to offer true 1080p HD video playback."

Compatible with the ultra compact VIA Nano, VIA C7 and VIA Eden processor families, the VIA VX855 MSP integrates all the cutting-edge features of a modern chipset's North and South bridges into a 27mm x 27mm single chip package that saves over 46% of silicon real estate compared with competing twin-chip core logic implementations. This miniaturization, combined with extensive power management technologies and the ability to run fanlessly within a tiny 2.3 watt power envelope, enables system builders to design ever smaller, lighter, and more portable systems.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Last edited:
This sounds good. But I have yet to see a Nano netbook first...

TreadR

This chips isn't meant to be a netbook solution... so no point in waiting!

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
@TreadR - you need to learn how to read
The VIA VX855 opens up exciting opportunities for several PC segments, particularly the mini-notebook category
Care to re-read that section?

TreadR

@TreadR - you need to learn how to read
Care to re-read that section?

You need to learn how to use that thing on your shoulders...
... that will now be able to offer true 1080p HD video playback.

You're probably as clueless as that spoke's person from VIA that composed that article release as to what a netbook's, or should I say mini-notebook's use is.

So enlighten me with you never-ending wisdom why would someone play a 1080p clip on a 10" screen capable device? Not to mention that an image reduction of that resolution will take a lot more processing power to adapt to a small screen's resolution than the regular SD format.

What I said earlier still has relevance, you just fail at thinking... or using common sense!

The VX855 is useful in a slim, power efficient and low noise ITX form factor HTPC... and not in some underpowered laptop! A mini-notebook's usefulness ends at collecting, storing and releasing a limited amount of information for personal or professional use... and it's definitely not for high-definition / high-fidelity media playback.

Besides, that statement was made by a marketing department official in the over-hyped moment that all the so called "big" companies are responsible for, misusing the Netbook trade mark to impress... get over it!

That chip will have it's place in the market, just not this one!

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
So enlighten me with you never-ending wisdom why would someone play a 1080p clip on a 10" screen capable device? Not to mention that an image reduction of that resolution will take a lot more processing power to adapt to a small screen's resolution than the regular SD format.

Nothing to enlighten. VIA will use the same core-logic for both netbooks and nettops. The nettops based on this, like NVIDIA's Ion platform, will do 1080p video playback justice. VIA wouldn't care what monitor size you connect to it. All it assures is 1080p video playback goes smooth.

Oh, there is something to enlighten: be polite with each other.

TreadR

OK... if you would only point that to those that... excuse my expression... bitch about people not knowing how to read or telling them to read instead of asking politely as you said, what they've meant.

I can understand the nettops, but for netbooks it's kinda useless.

"VIA wouldn't care what monitor size you connect to it."
That's if you can. In the case of a netbooks like OCZ's neutrion, Eee PC or Aspire One don't have DVI nor do they have HDMI outputs... so what's the point? It defeats the purpose of HD.

System Name ---
Processor FX 8350 @ 4.00 Ghz with 1.28v
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FX-UD3 v4.0, Hacked Bios F4.x
Cooling Silenx 4 pipe Tower cooler + 2 x Cougar 120mm fan, 3 x 120mm, 1 x 200 mm Red LED fan
Memory Kingston HyperX DDR3 1866 16GB + Patriot Memory DDR3 1866 16GB
Video Card(s) Asus R9 290 OC @ GPU - 1050, MEM - 1300
Storage Inland 256GB PCIe NVMe SSD for OS, WDC Black - 2TB + 1TB Storage, Inland 480GB SSD - Games
Display(s) 3 x 1080P LCDs - Acer 25" + Acer 23" + HP 23"
Case AeroCool XPredator X3
Audio Device(s) Built-in Realtek
Power Supply Corsair HX1000 Modular
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
This is really nice. Go Via Go:rockout:

2.3w total and fanless awesome. Probably I will buy one because total system consumption with SSD or CF will be less than 20w and it can be let run 24/7 like domain controller, file server or print server apart from its basic function that it was created for.

System Name ---
Processor FX 8350 @ 4.00 Ghz with 1.28v
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FX-UD3 v4.0, Hacked Bios F4.x
Cooling Silenx 4 pipe Tower cooler + 2 x Cougar 120mm fan, 3 x 120mm, 1 x 200 mm Red LED fan
Memory Kingston HyperX DDR3 1866 16GB + Patriot Memory DDR3 1866 16GB
Video Card(s) Asus R9 290 OC @ GPU - 1050, MEM - 1300
Storage Inland 256GB PCIe NVMe SSD for OS, WDC Black - 2TB + 1TB Storage, Inland 480GB SSD - Games
Display(s) 3 x 1080P LCDs - Acer 25" + Acer 23" + HP 23"
Case AeroCool XPredator X3
Audio Device(s) Built-in Realtek
Power Supply Corsair HX1000 Modular
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
OK... if you would only point that to those that... excuse my expression... bitch about people not knowing how to read or telling them to read instead of asking politely as you said, what they've meant.

That's if you can. In the case of a netbooks like OCZ's neutrion, Eee PC or Aspire One don't have DVI nor do they have HDMI outputs... so what's the point? It defeats the purpose of HD.

I think future versions will come with one.

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro

Like I said, nothing in the release suggests they won't be using it on netbooks. This chipset is the same as NV's MCP79. A common design that saves RnD costs. They will use the same chip on netbooks (single chip design = low thermal footprint), and on nettops. I'm assured that when I place a nettop + external HDD + network in my living room to serve as a media center, the video playback will be smooth on my HDTV.

Processor C2Q6600 @ 1.6 GHz
Motherboard Anus PQ5
Cooling ACFPro
Memory GEiL2 x 1 GB PC2 6400
Video Card(s) MSi 4830 (RIP)
Storage Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320 GB Perpendicular Recording
Display(s) Dell 17'
Case El Cheepo
Audio Device(s) 7.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Software MCE2K5
bta sheck out the first word

You don't need to have a full HD capable screen to watch full HD content! But you still need full HD acceleration to be able to watch that full HD content (even on a small screen)!
The future of content is full HD ... so better have something that can play it ... not?

R_1

Yep, because your monitor is downscaling HD signal to it's native resolution.