• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

RBE v1.20 available!

BAGZZlash

RBE Author
RBE v1.20 just got released. :)

From the changelog:
Code:
v1.20
- Added hex editor.
- Added alternative BIOS extraction method.
- (Hopefully) fixed the 3650 Device-ID-bug for good.
- Fixed a bug concerning weird 4670 fan settings.

A little explanation this time:

The built-in hex editor has two major advantages over editing a BIOS using some random hex editor:
  1. Additionally to jumping to a given position in the hex code and to searching for certain hex codes or text, you can jump specifically to the beginning of your BIOS' fan script, power play script, voltage registers and more. RBE obviously "knows" where these positions are inside your BIOS, so you can use this to find out how your BIOS works and to manipulate more bytes there than the RBE GUI can.
  2. After modifying bytes in the hex editor, you can return to the RBE main window and be certain that the checksum balancing has already been taken care of. RBE's built-in checksum correction engine does that for you, if you want. Furthermore, you can see your changes' impact immediately in the GUI.

The alternative BIOS extraction method works as following:
When you switch on your computer, the CPU finds itself in the so called REAL mode. The mainboard's BIOS then copies the video BIOS data into the computer's RAM (usually address C000:0000). Then your computer boots to windows and switches to the protected mode. From this moment on, programs can't access physical memory addresses any more, but virtual memory addresses the operating system administrates. There's a protected area usual programs can not access, this area is only accessible for kernel mode software. Unfortunately, the video BIOS data the mainboard's BIOS copied into RAM finds itself in this kernel memory, so programs like RBE can't access it.
But: Imagine you open a DOS box (command prompt) inside windows. Windows sets up a so called V86 environment then, a virtual REAL mode for old 16 bit DOS programs. For legacy support, windows also puts the video BIOS data into that virtual machine. So I figured a trick that accesses this V86 machine, harvests the BIOS data there and returns it to RBE. Voilá, RBE gets the data.
Using this, you can have RBE to extract almost any video BIOS from almost any video card. You can rip not just ATI BIOSes but also those from nVidia, S3, XGI and whatever video card you have installed.
Notice one thing, though: This trick can only be used if the virtual REAL mode (the V86 mode) is provided by windows. 64 bit OSes (like XP x64 or Vista 64) don't do that any more, so RBE's alternative BIOS extraction method is being greyed out on those machines. Use a 32 bit windows, instead.

System Name The Dove Box Rev 3.0
Processor i7 8700k @ 4.7GHz
Motherboard Asus Maximus X APEX
Cooling Custom water loop
Memory 16GB 3600 MHz DDR4
Video Card(s) 2x MSI 780 Ti's in SLI
Storage 500GB Samsung 850 PCIe SSD, 4TB
Display(s) 27" Asus 144Hz
Case Enermax Fulmo GT
Audio Device(s) ON BOARD FTW
Power Supply Corsair 1200W
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Win 10 64x
I'm really tempted to flash my XFX 4830, it can handle crazy clocks! Is there a full help menu for a complete walkthrough with this?

Sorry I'm a nervous nilly when it comes to potentially bricking my awesome card.

BAGZZlash

RBE Author
I'm really tempted to flash my XFX 4830, it can handle crazy clocks! Is there a full help menu for a complete walkthrough with this?

Sorry I'm a nervous nilly when it comes to potentially bricking my awesome card.

This very detailed tutorial should help you out. It's not a dumb step-by-step guide, though: It urges you to understand what you are doing.

ViciousXUSMC

System Name Vicious's Rig
Processor Q6600 @ 3.6ghz @ 1.4v (Windows)
Motherboard Asus P5Q Deluxe
Cooling Thermalright Ultra 120 Extrme with S-Scyth fan
Memory 2x2gb Mushkin DDR2 800
Video Card(s) 2x Visiontek 4850 @ 675/1000
Storage 2x 640gb Western Digital
Display(s) 37" Westinghouse LVM37-W3
Case Antec P182 Special Edition
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Xtreme Music
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750w Silencer
Software Windows Vista x64 Ultimate
Benchmark Scores 3dmark06 18,582
Another great release, thanks for keeping up the hard work!

Do we have any updates on if the newer ati cat drivers give bsod with flashes past normal oc limits within overdrive? ever since that one incident I have yet to reflash my cards because it was a major pain to fix that problem when all I had was a black screen.