• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Releases OpenCL Driver To Developers

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
NVIDIA Corporation, the inventor of the GPU, today announced the release of its OpenCL driver and software development kit (SDK) to developers participating in its OpenCL Early Access Program. NVIDIA is providing this release to solicit early feedback in advance of a beta release which will be made available to all GPU Computing Registered Developers in the coming months.

"The OpenCL standard was developed on NVIDIA GPUs and NVIDIA was the first company to demonstrate OpenCL code running on a GPU," said Tony Tamasi, senior vice president of technology and content at NVIDIA. "Being the first to release an OpenCL driver to developers cements NVIDIA's leadership in GPU Computing and is another key milestone in our ongoing strategy to make the GPU the soul of the modern PC."

At the core of NVIDIA's GPU Computing strategy is the massively parallel CUDA architecture that NVIDIA pioneered and has been shipping since 2006. Accessible today through familiar industry standard programming environments such as C, Java, Fortran and Python, the CUDA architecture supports all manner of computational interfaces and, as such, is a perfect complement to OpenCL. Enabled on over 100 million NVIDIA GPUs, the CUDA architecture is enabling developers to innovate with the GPU and unleash never before seen performance across a wide range of applications.

Developers can apply to become a GPU Computing Registered Developer here.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Studabaker

System Name Built Entirely With Parts From CompUSA
Processor E7400 2.8 @ 3.6 [9.0*400/1.31v]
Motherboard Gigabyte EP45-UD3R
Cooling Masscool 8WA741
Memory 2x1GB Corsair XMS2 800 4-4-4-12
Video Card(s) BFG 9800GTX+OC; GTS250 BIOS
Storage 2x WD 250GB AAKS in RAID0!
Display(s) 19" I-Inc LCD @ 1440x900
Case Ultra X-Blaster Clear Side
Audio Device(s) Audigy with X-Fi drivers; Logitech X-540s
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Software Vista 32-Bit
'NVIDIA Corporation, the inventor of the GPU'

I like how they always have to stress that they came up with the GPU concept.

FryingWeesel

'NVIDIA Corporation, the inventor of the GPU'

I like how they always have to stress that they came up with the GPU concept.

they AFIK trademarked the term GPU, thats why ATI and others used stuff like VPU.

in the case of ATI the use of VPU(video processing unit) is/was more accurate since their chips also accelerated video(mpeg1/2 at first) when nvidia's didnt have ANY acceleration for dvd built in.

back in the day the rage128 and early radions where a better buy for systems that where being used to play dvd's then anything nvidia or another competitor offered, because they had full or partial mpeg acceleration built into the VPU, my tnt1/2ultra,geforce1/2 cards didnt have proper mpeg acceleration, yet my old rage128's did, the shop i worked for back then used mostly ati cards because of the video acceleration(most people back then where wanting to watch dvd's on their computer as dvd was a pretty new tech, and those mepg addincards where crazy high priced.)

Processor Intel Core i7-6700k - Stock, multi core boost enabled
Motherboard MSI Z170i Gaming Pro AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S + Arctic MX2 thermal paste, 2 case fans (front and rear).
Memory 2x8gb Kingston DDR4 2666mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Geforce 1060 GTX Gaming X
Storage 120gb Samsung 830 EVO SSD, 240gb Samung 840 Evo SSD, 1tb Seagate HDD, 960gb Corsair Force MP510B
Display(s) Dell Ultrasharp 1920x1080
Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX SE
Power Supply SilverStone SST-ST85F-P
Mouse Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0
Keyboard Steelseries 6Gv2 - Cherry MX Black edition
Software OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit.
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R20 multicore score: 2249. Cinebench R23 multicore score: 5149.
NVIDIA Corporation, the inventor of the GPU