• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS Pioneers New Satin-brushed Aluminum and NeoWood Finishes for Netbooks

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
ASUS, which reshaped the notebook industry with innovations such as the use of genuine Moso bamboo paneling on notebooks, today showcased two new finishes that do much more than just beautify its products: Satin-brushed Aluminum and NeoWood. The Satin-brushed Aluminum finish, produced through Non-conductive Vapor Metallization (NCVM) technology, not only infuses treated surfaces with an elegant satin-brushed pattern, it provides scratch resistance, enhances the structural strength of the notebook, and improved wireless and Bluetooth performance.

The NeoWood finishing technique, which produces a high-strength wood grain veneer that looks and feels like real wood, is a first for the consumer electronics industry. It delivers all the benefits of real wood, including premium looks and natural tactility, while maintaining a level of resilience that far surpasses that of regular wood.

ASUS notebooks featuring the Satin-brushed Aluminum finish include the N81Vf, N60Sf and N51Vn, while the NeoWood finish can be enjoyed on the N60Sf*.

Satin-brushed Aluminum

The result of an innovative application of Non-conductive Vapor Metallization (NCVM) technology, ASUS' Satin-brushed Aluminum finish is a perfect example of form meeting function. It preserves the elegant coloration, luster and satin-brushed pattern of real brushed aluminum, yet offers vastly improved scratch resistance and strength. Another benefit of the Satin-brushed Aluminum finish is that it eliminates the interference of RF signals, which other metalized finishes such as aluminum cannot do. As a result, notebooks boasting the Satin-brushed Aluminum finish enjoy substantially improved 3D antenna efficiency and therefore greatly enhanced Wi-Fi and Bluetooth performance. ASUS notebooks featuring the Satin-brushed Aluminum finish include the N81Vf, N60Sf and N51Vn.

NeoWood

ASUS' NeoWood finish combines the familiarity and comfortable tactility of natural wood with the high tensile strength of modern synthetics. It looks and feels exactly like the wood used in high-end furniture, yet has much-improved hardness, friction resistance and abrasion resistance properties than regular wood. Notebooks that feature the NeoWood finish, such as the ASUS N60Sf, not only look breathtaking, they are structurally stronger as well.

*The ASUS N60Sf is available in both Satin-brushed Aluminum and NeoWood finishes. Specifications are subject to change without prior notice. Please visit http://www.asus.com for more details.

Source: ASUS

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
lol, looks like somebody tied it to the towing harness of thier truck and drove it through a gravel lot. I like it

System Name Big Devil
Processor Intel Core i5-2500K
Motherboard ECS P67H2-A2
Cooling XSPC Rasa | Black Ice GT Stealth 240 | XSPC X2O 750 | 2x ACF12PWM | PrimoChill White 7/16"
Memory 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance LP Arctic White 1600MHz CL9
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 780 ACX SC
Storage Intel 520 Series 180GB + WD 1TB Blue
Display(s) HP ZR30W 30" 2650x1600 IPS
Case Corsair 600T SE
Audio Device(s) Xonar Essence STX | Sennheisser PC350 "Hero" Modded | Corsair SP2500
Power Supply ABS SL 1050W (Enermax Revolution Rebadge)
Software Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/ Media Center
Benchmark Scores Ducky Year of the Snake w/ Cherry MX Browns & Year of the Tiger PBT Keycaps | Razer Deathadder Black
I started reading that post and a slight bit of rage build up in me. Then I saw your last sentence :)

:rockout: to black brushed aluminum!

System Name Becca 2
Processor AMD A10 4600m quad core @ 2.3 ghz
Motherboard dunno
Cooling Logitech alto connect
Memory 16 Gig ddr3 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Ati HD 7660G + & 7470M
Storage 1 TB
Audio Device(s) onboard crap
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit with sp1
Why wood finishes? im sure theyd look great but not very practicle for lappys with the heat.

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
Dont panic! It is "neo-wood". It is COMPLETELY FAKE. Not real wood at all. 100% synthetics. LOL.

BTW did you know that "neo-wood" is also called "plastic" to those in the know ;) LOL

Clearly ASUS have some rubbish netbooks that they know they cant sell on specification alone, so they are dressing them in the emperors clothes :shadedshu

Why dont we hear about some REAL technological breakthroughs, like better power management, lower voltage/power chipsets, improved screen resolution, maximum touch pad dimensions, improved keyboards, less "media buttons; this is a laptop not an mp3 player", better battery life, a "smart" docking station/dongle, improved software package, longer warranty, improved online experience downloading patches (ASUS website is one of the worst and slowest), optional DVD player with matching bling, can be purchased with STUDENT MS OFFICE at an all-in-one price, higher memory install abilities for users that want to upgrade from "home-handicapped" edition to professional, smaller power brick, clever magnetic connector system like on the macbooks (yes, that is a BRILLIANT feature, the number of times my macbook as survived a tripped wire by releasing the cable whereas the PC laptop has had to survive a crash onto the floor), free sex are you still reading?, better screen resolution, better ms response rates, better colour spectrum 99%, guaranteed no dead pixels over 12 months, HDMI out with dongle to VGA and DVI, optional matching USB powered portable speaker set, free coffee cup holder are you still reading, replaceable case/shell at a reasonable cost so that you can change the colour or replace a scratched/damaged laptop case, a small, light, carry case with handles to put the laptop in (oh, isnt THAT a pain trying to find the right laptop case for a laptop?), hot swappable battery... so you can carry a spare and switch it over (or add it on) without the machine powering off, built in GPS and/or UMTS, etc. etc. the list goes on

h3llb3nd4

System Name My mobo is Laughing at me
Processor E7400
Motherboard P5KPL-E Bios flashed to 0601 (Piece of poo!!)
Cooling Thermalright Ultra 120a
Memory GENERIC 2 GB DDR2 800
Video Card(s) NONE!! Beat that!!
Storage 500GB SAMSUNG SATAII, 250GB SAMSUNG SATAII and o'l crappy 4gb maxtor
Display(s) ACER X223W Q
Case AEROCOOL ZERODEGREE (planning to mod)
Audio Device(s) REALTEK ONBOARD
Power Supply GIGABYTE 460W
Software Win 7 x86 build 7022
Benchmark Scores Super Pi 1m 17.000 :(
Fake wood always look funny:\
but I'm interested in the Satin finish tho

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
Nice, much better looking than plastic ones... At some cost i would of thought but nice all the same..

System Name beast
Processor 3930K
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-X79-UD3
Cooling Noctua NH-U12P SE2011
Memory 16GB Kingston Value DDR3 1333Mhz CL9
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aorus Elite RTX3060 12GB
Storage 1x 120GB Intel 520 and some spinny bois
Display(s) 3x DELL S2721DGF
Case Antec P182
Power Supply Corsair 750w
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10
Asus used to make kick a#s monitors that has brushed steel bezels and stands. I wish they released more brushed steel products, these screens are so much better then the current series, If this netbook is just as reliable I'll certainly be looking at buying one of these when they are available in aus. It looks awesome.