• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft to Strip Windows 7 of IE and WMP for Europe, Abiding by Laws

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
I bet Apple is ROFLCOPTERING at this. It will certainly boost Apple sales in the EU.

Until the EU tells them they cant ship OSX with Safari or Quicktime. ;)

System Name Jupiter-2
Processor Intel i3-6100
Motherboard H170I-PLUS D3
Cooling Stock
Memory 8GB Mushkin DDR3L-1600
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1050ti
Storage 512GB Corsair SSD
Display(s) BENQ 24in
Case Lian Li PC-Q01B Mini ITX
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair 450W
Mouse Logitech Trackball
Keyboard Custom bamboo job
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Finished Super PI on legendary mode in only 13 hours.
All that was true in 2001 when XP was released, however with Vista and now Win 7 it runs in a sandbox, and thus is not tied to the the OS, thus also how they can remove it.

So IE is no more of a threat than FF, O, or Safari.

No offense, and I'll admit I haven't heard about this, but I wouldn't trust Microsoft's promises of a "sandbox" very far at all. Just the fact that even after you "uninstall" IE from Windows 7 the rendering engine still remains and is part of the operating system means that their promise isn't worth much to me.

Which is coming, eventually. :laugh:

DrPepper

The Doctor is in the house
System Name Rusky
Processor Intel Core i7 D0 3.8Ghz
Motherboard Asus P6T
Cooling Thermaltake Dark Knight
Memory 12GB Patriot Viper's 1866mhz 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) GTX470 1280MB
Storage OCZ Summit 60GB + Samsung 1TB + Samsung 2TB
Display(s) Sharp Aquos L32X20E 1920 x 1080
Case Silverstone Raven RV01
Power Supply Corsair 650 Watt
Software Windows 7 x64
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06 - 18064 http://img.techpowerup.org/090720/Capture002.jpg

Apple aren't monopolizing so they won't get the same treatment :shadedshu I hope they do though, Also wouldn't ubuntu stop using firefox ?

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Processor Intel Kentsfield Q9650 @ 3.8GHz (4.2GHz highest achieved)
Motherboard ASUS P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi; X38 NSB, ICH9R SSB
Cooling Delta V3 block, XPSC res, 120x3 rad, ST 1/2" pump - 10 fans, SYSTRIN HDD cooler, Antec HDD cooler
Memory Dual channel 8GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 @ 1800MHz @ 7-7-7-20 1T
Video Card(s) Quadfire: (2) Sapphire HD5970
Storage (2) WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA-300; WD 320GB SATA-300; WD 200GB UATA + WD 160GB UATA
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster T240 24" (16:10)
Case Cooler Master Stacker 830
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro PCI-E x1
Power Supply Kingwin Mach1 1200W modular
Software Windows XP Home SP3; Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Benchmark Scores 3m06: 20270 here: http://hwbot.org/user.do?userId=12313
It's good that you don't condone it, because you should stop doing it, ASAP.

Most security problems involving IE do not merely involve IE not being updated as needed -- the core nature of the browser is flawed. IE is intermeshed completely with the Windows OS -- security problems with IE can thus affect your entire installation.

It's why it's such an easy vector for viruses -- no amount of patches by Microsoft is going to fix it. When a security problem is found in something like Firefox, most of the time it just affects your browser-based activities -- your cookies could be exposed, or your browser passwords, or something like that. When a security problem is found in IE, the entire OS can be compromised.

What Microsoft needs to do, IMO, is split IE's rendering engine away from the browser to use internally in their OS, and then adopt a new browser engine to use with the external internet.

I agree on the part of how closely tied IE is to the kernel . . . it's a PITA when you get the occasional browser crash and it takes down explorer with it . . .

As to the rest, yeah, I know all that . . . like I said, I don't condone the practice, and I'm fully aware of the risks . . . even still, if you keep WIN and all other applications up-to-date, the possiblity of running into risks diminishes . . . you can update IE7/8 all you want, but it won't help a bit if the OS itself is outdated and not up-to-par with the latest security patches

My issue is that everyone continues to bash IE over how unsecure, buggy and malware prone it is . . . but I fail to see that yet . . . even with browsing through the bowels of the i-net.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Apple aren't monopolizing so they won't get the same treatment :shadedshu I hope they do though, Also wouldn't ubuntu stop using firefox ?

Neither was Microsoft. Whats good for the goose is good for the gander. All MUST be fair.

DrPepper

System Name Rusky
Motherboard Asus P6T
Software Windows 7 x64
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06 - 18064 http://img.techpowerup.org/090720/Capture002.jpg
Neither was Microsoft. Whats good for the goose is good for the gander. All MUST be fair.

I do hate this whole issue though. I mean they say microsoft isn't being fair but they didn't get such a huge market share because their software was bad. It was because the competition was worse.

System Name PBD
Processor Core i5 760 @ 4.0GHz
Motherboard Asus Maximus III Gene
Cooling Corsair H-50-1
Memory 4 x 4096mb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 Cas7
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX 670 DirectCU TOP
Storage Crucial 256GB SSD (system) + 2x Samsung F3 1TB (storage) + 2x 2TB Raid-1 NAS (backup)
Display(s) Dell SP2309w 23" 2048x1152
Case Antec Max Fusion Remote
Power Supply Corsair AX750W
Software Win 7 Pro x64
The EU and people defending the EU's decision are saying that the people that use Microsoft's OSes are forced to use the bundled software, and hence it blocks out the "competition". This is false, plain and simple. No one is forced to use IE or WMP just because they come with the OS. People choose to use them.

Really? I have never said that people are "forced" to use IE and I doubt the EU has either. Don't put words in my mouth. The bundling of IE puts them at an unfair advantage in a completely different market. Internet browsers and operating systems are different products remember.
I don't know about your experiences - but nearly every person that I have advised to use a different browser has either not known that alternatives exist, did not know that they would work on their pc or couldn't be bothered finding it, downloading it and installing it. And that is the reality outside our little bubble. We know better - but the general public does not.

And using your anology, I wouldn't have a problem with the EU forcing Chevy to remove their cola-despenser, as long as they forced every other car manufacturer to do the same. It isn't fair to force Chevy to remove their cola-depenser while allowing Dodge and Ford to keep their cola-depensers in their new cars.

Look at the time and effort involved in fighting this case against MS. The reality is that it would be impossible to apply this law (basically take someone to court) universally and all at the same time. The EU can only do what they can. Once they've finished with MS (assuming MS were to comply fully), then I'm sure the EU would turn their attention to others - but they can't do it all at once. So they started with the case/company that would have the greatest effect. Just like they did with Intel. Imposing fines on the biggest player or worst offender first will discourage the smaller players from behaving the same. If the smaller fish continue to behave badly as well then they'll be next in line.

I'm sorry newtekie, I would like to see this policed universally too, but the reality is that the resources aren't there to police everything all at once.

EDIT: Just for clarity I don't have anything against IE8 either - I just like Firefox better.

Last edited:
System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
No offense, and I'll admit I haven't heard about this, but I wouldn't trust Microsoft's promises of a "sandbox" very far at all. Just the fact that even after you "uninstall" IE from Windows 7 the rendering engine still remains and is part of the operating system means that their promise isn't worth much to me.

Which is coming, eventually. :laugh:

No it again, really isn't. And the sandbox mode has been tested to be as efficient to warning a user to a threat as is antispyware, antivirus, rootkit prevention, and general malware infections when used properly with UAC.

Add on software, drive by downloads, popup redirects, infected ads, and scripts are all prevented with common sense and the basic system settings. i also use Avast and block many sites that I have found to be dangerous. I have tried to get infected, and the only way I have found is to visit dangerous sites with my security down, then click on the installers, and allow it to run after UAC asks.

System Name PBD
Processor Core i5 760 @ 4.0GHz
Motherboard Asus Maximus III Gene
Cooling Corsair H-50-1
Memory 4 x 4096mb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 Cas7
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX 670 DirectCU TOP
Storage Crucial 256GB SSD (system) + 2x Samsung F3 1TB (storage) + 2x 2TB Raid-1 NAS (backup)
Display(s) Dell SP2309w 23" 2048x1152
Case Antec Max Fusion Remote
Power Supply Corsair AX750W
Software Win 7 Pro x64
seems more of your byast twards ms and LESS of REALITY of how stupid it is. When u want more options u take 3 seconds and download the one you want. Same as tires rims on a car or anything else. What if they all choose one u dont like??? How will you deal doing the SAME thing as if IE were installed already?!?! Antitrust idea was great WHEN THEY STARTED now its rediculas. You dont care cause its MS. I think supporting the WILD nature of Antitrust on behalf of ms byast is "frankly terrible. Just awful."

Way to make sense.

I have no bias towards MS - it's the only OSs I've ever used.

And like I've said before: we know to go out and download another browser but Joe Public, on the whole, does not.

And again. Different options for wheel rims on cars is not the same as a browser in an operating system. Wheel rims do not do a different function to the car as a whole (they make it look different - it's a cosmetic change but wheels still go round), whereas a browser is a different product, that does a different function.

Processor AMD Phenom II 1055T @ 3.6ghz 1.3V
Motherboard Asus M5A97 EVO
Cooling Xigmatek SD1284
Memory 2x4GB Patriot Sector 5 PC3-12800 @ 7-8-7-24-1T 1.7V
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon HD 7950 DD @ 1100/1350 1.185V
Storage OCZ Agility 3 120GB + 2x7200.12 500GB Raid1
Display(s) QNIX QX2710 27" LCD 1440p @ 120hz
Case Cooler Master 690M
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Enermax Liberty 620W Eco Edition
Software Windows 7 Professional x64 / Ubuntu 12.04 x64
I absolutely LOL at this. For "experts" like most users here it isnt a problem. We will keystick an install file. But for MOST CONSUMERS this will be shocking. They wont have the faintest clue what to do.

I bet Apple is ROFLCOPTERING at this. It will certainly boost Apple sales in the EU.

Why do you say they won't have the faintest clue what to do? They'll probably just buy a prebuilt machine with Windows 7 on it that comes with an internet browser :confused:

For those that have Vista and try to upgrade, they wouldn't be able to use this version, so again, no issue.

And I believe it will be unlikely that those who cannot figure out how to launch an executable from a DVD or USB stick will go the route of a format/wipe/clean install which would be the only remaining option...?

System Name :)
Processor Intel 13700k
Motherboard Gigabyte z790 UD AC
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 64GB GSKILL DDR5
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC
Storage 960GB Optane 905P U.2 SSD + 4TB PCIe4 U.2 SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW 175Hz QD-OLED + Nixeus 27" IPS 1440p 144Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) MOTU M4 - JBL 305P MKII w/2x JL Audio 10 Sealed --- X-Fi Titanium HD - Presonus Eris E5 - JBL 4412
Power Supply Silverstone 1000W
Mouse Roccat Kain 122 AIMO
Keyboard KBD67 Lite / Mammoth75
VR HMD Reverb G2 V2
Software Win 11 Pro
This is stupid.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
But Bill Gates likes cheese burgers. Just like me! Why is the EU picking on him?

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Really? I have never said that people are "forced" to use IE and I doubt the EU has either. Don't put words in my mouth. The bundling of IE puts them at an unfair advantage in a completely different market. Internet browsers and operating systems are different products remember.
I don't know about your experiences - but nearly every person that I have advised to use a different browser has either not known that alternatives exist, did not know that they would work on their pc or couldn't be bothered finding it, downloading it and installing it. And that is the reality outside our little bubble. We know better - but the general public does not.

Actually, that is exactly what the EU's case was based on, I suggest you do a little research on the issue. The entire issue behind the EU's complaint was that people are forced to use IE/WMP because it is bundled with Windows.

It isn't Microsoft's fault that people don't educate themselves, and they shouldn't be forced to remove functionality from their products simply because people are uneducated/lazy. People want a product that works from the moment it is installed, you said it yourself, they don't want to be bothered with downloading a seperate browser after installing their OS.

Calculators are a seperate market from OSes too, should Microsoft be forced to strip the calculator from their OS? What about games, should Solitair be stripped because it give them an unfair advantage over regular cards? BiCycle should be all over them about this.:laugh:

If you want to start the argument about how browsers are a different market, so they shouldn't be included in OSes, then you have to apply it to everything included in the OS, and if we do that we would all be back to install an OS that boots to a command line... Would that really help the consumer any?

Look at the time and effort involved in fighting this case against MS. The reality is that it would be impossible to apply this law (basically take someone to court) universally and all at the same time. The EU can only do what they can. Once they've finished with MS (assuming MS were to comply fully), then I'm sure the EU would turn their attention to others - but they can't do it all at once. So they started with the case/company that would have the greatest effect. Just like they did with Intel. Imposing fines on the biggest player or worst offender first will discourage the smaller players from behaving the same. If the smaller fish continue to behave badly as well then they'll be next in line.

I'm sorry newtekie, I would like to see this policed universally too, but the reality is that the resources aren't there to police everything all at once.

EDIT: Just for clarity I don't have anything against IE8 either - I just like Firefox better.

If the policy can't be enforced, it shouldn't be. And there isn't even a hint that the EU is worried about anyone other than Microsoft in this issue. It also isn't difficult to name multiple defendants in a court case, there is no reason that Apple couldn't be included in the original case with minimal effort and resources.

It is the government's job to make policies, and make sure there is enough resources to enforce those policies. If they don't have enough resources to enforce the policies they create, then they have failed as a governing body.

Though that isn't even the case here, the EU has no intention of apply this policy to anyone other than Microsoft.The EU has actually said that because Microsoft is the biggest, this policy will only apply to them, that was again the basis of their complaint to begin with. Sorry, but the policy is purposefully unfair, which my problem with the whole thing. Well that, and the fact that the whole issue of forcing Microsoft to remove bundled applications is completely stupid anyway...

System Name Jupiter-2
Processor Intel i3-6100
Motherboard H170I-PLUS D3
Cooling Stock
Memory 8GB Mushkin DDR3L-1600
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1050ti
Storage 512GB Corsair SSD
Display(s) BENQ 24in
Case Lian Li PC-Q01B Mini ITX
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair 450W
Mouse Logitech Trackball
Keyboard Custom bamboo job
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Finished Super PI on legendary mode in only 13 hours.
No it again, really isn't. And the sandbox mode has been tested to be as efficient to warning a user to a threat as is antispyware, antivirus, rootkit prevention, and general malware infections when used properly with UAC.

Add on software, drive by downloads, popup redirects, infected ads, and scripts are all prevented with common sense and the basic system settings. i also use Avast and block many sites that I have found to be dangerous. I have tried to get infected, and the only way I have found is to visit dangerous sites with my security down, then click on the installers, and allow it to run after UAC asks.

And there's the problem, right there. :laugh: I hope "common sense" doesn't make up any part of Microsoft's security protection, because it ain't happening.

However, I still stand by what I said earlier. I don't consider anything separated and "sandboxed" if, even after uninstalling, it's still necessary to have in a system.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
And there's the problem, right there. :laugh: I hope "common sense" doesn't make up any part of Microsoft's security protection, because it ain't happening.
No protection in the world including any government agency is as powerful as good common sense. If we get to the point where we need to rely on the government to install policies that save us from mistakes that could have been avoided with a little common sense humanity is lost.

Processor Intel i9 9900K @5GHz w/ Corsair H150i Pro CPU AiO w/Corsair HD120 RBG fan
Motherboard Asus Z390 Maximus XI Code
Cooling 6x120mm Corsair HD120 RBG fans
Memory Corsair Vengeance RBG 2x8GB 3600MHz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3080Ti STRIX OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB , 970 EVO 1TB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD, 10TB Synology DS1621+ RAID5
Display(s) Corsair Xeneon 32" 32UHD144 4K
Case Corsair 570x RBG Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Corsair Virtuoso XT Wireless RGB
Power Supply Corsair HX850w Platinum Series
Mouse Logitech G604s
Keyboard Corsair K70 Rapidfire
Software Windows 11 x64 Professional
Benchmark Scores Firestrike - 23520 Heaven - 3670
Put a browser of your choice on a flash drive or other media?

Id rather the US version not have IE7.

Processor AMD Ryzen 1700 @ 3.825ghz 1.36v
Motherboard ASRock x370 Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-C14s
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB 16gb 3200
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1080 ti
Display(s) LG 4k IPS
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 + more fans
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply EVGA P2 750w
Mouse G900
Keyboard G810
Software Windows 10 Pro
It seems even if Microsoft is following the rules, EU still wants their money. It helps their economy of course.

turtile

What is stopping OEMs from installing alternative browsers right now? All this will do is make more work for computer companies. Many users don't know what a web browser is and will be completely confused when they don't see the "e" icon.

System Name Quiet Gaming PC v5
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite V2 (rev. 1.2)
Cooling Thermalright TRUE Rev. C
Memory 2x16GB TeamGroup Vulcan Z Red DDR4-3600 CL18
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster SWFT 309 RX 6700 XT
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB NVMe // TeamGroup MP34 4TB NVMe // Crucial MX100 512GB
Display(s) MSI G27CQ4 E2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1200
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard MKPlus Slayer M3 RGB Mechanical Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro
Pre-built computers will come with Internet Explorer anyways because OEMs can and will install whatever the hell they want. Is that part so hard to understand? Way to overreact.

OH NOES IT'S TEH EVILS EUS!! ALL TEHY WANTS IS THE USSSSS MONEYZS!!11ONEONE

Bunch of hypocrites is what you are. Always whining and bitching and bashing Microsoft left and right and now you're all defending it because the European Union is after them... laughable. Where is all the whining about Microsoft being a monopoly? Uhm? Oh, now they aren't a monopoly? Right...

Last edited:

Paintface

Processor E5200 @ 3.7ghz
Motherboard DFI LanParty DK P35 DARK
Cooling Zalman CPU + case cooling
Memory OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 4GB 1066
Video Card(s) Saphire 4890 Vapor-X OCed
Storage Raptor 74GB + 640GB sata + 1TB sata ( all WD)
Display(s) BENQ 24inch LCD 1080p
Case my desk
Audio Device(s) Creative Audigy 2 ZS
Power Supply OCZ gameXstream 700w
Software Windows 7 x64 ultimate
Proud to be a European! down with M$!

System Name Core i9 rig / Lenovo laptop
Processor Core i9 10900X / Core i5 8350U
Motherboard Asus Prime X299 Edition 30 / Lenovo motherboard
Cooling Corsair H115i PRO RGB / stock cooler
Memory Gskill 4x8GB 3600mhz / 16GB 2400mhz
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix RTX 2080 Super / UHD 620
Storage Samsung SSD 970 PRO 1TB / Samsung OEM 256GB NVMe
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp UP3017 / Full HD IPS touch
Case Coolermaster mastercase H500M
Audio Device(s) Onboard sound
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 1700 watt / Lenovo 65watt power adapter
Mouse Logitech M500s
Keyboard Cherry
Software Windows 11 Pro / Windows 11 Pro
http://news.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/06/12/1457233

"The European Commission will proceed with its antitrust case against Microsoft regardless of Microsoft's decision to strip IE from Windows 7 in Europe. Europe's top antitrust regulator said the EC would draw up a remedy that allows computer users 'genuine consumer choice,' noting that stripping out IE from Windows 'may potentially be positive,' but 'rather than more choice, Microsoft seems to have chosen to provide less.' Jon von Tetzchner, CEO of Opera, whose complaint to the European Commission at the end of 2007 sparked the initial antitrust investigation, said Microsoft is 'trying to set the remedy itself by stripping out IE. ... Now that Microsoft has acknowledged it has been breaking the law by bundling IE into Windows, the Commission must push ahead with an effective remedy,' he said."

Microsoft in deep shit :D

TheMailMan78

Big Member
http://news.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/06/12/1457233

"The European Commission will proceed with its antitrust case against Microsoft regardless of Microsoft's decision to strip IE from Windows 7 in Europe. Europe's top antitrust regulator said the EC would draw up a remedy that allows computer users 'genuine consumer choice,' noting that stripping out IE from Windows 'may potentially be positive,' but 'rather than more choice, Microsoft seems to have chosen to provide less.' Jon von Tetzchner, CEO of Opera, whose complaint to the European Commission at the end of 2007 sparked the initial antitrust investigation, said Microsoft is 'trying to set the remedy itself by stripping out IE. ... Now that Microsoft has acknowledged it has been breaking the law by bundling IE into Windows, the Commission must push ahead with an effective remedy,' he said."

Microsoft in deep shit :D

So Microsoft folded and is following the "rules" now and the EU is still after them? Greed is all the EU is.

DrPepper

System Name Rusky
Motherboard Asus P6T
Software Windows 7 x64
So Microsoft folded and is following the "rules" now and the EU is still after them? Greed is all the EU is.

They can't sue them before win7 is sold in the EU with IE!!! That's like suing someone before they've done something then decided not to because it turns out to be illegal.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
They can't sue them before win7 is sold in the EU with IE!!! That's like suing someone before they've done something then decided not to because it turns out to be illegal.

Read the post above mine. Screw the EU. Screw them with the power and passion of a thousand camel necks.

DrPepper

System Name Rusky
Motherboard Asus P6T
Software Windows 7 x64
Read the post above mine. Screw the EU. Screw them with the power and passion of a thousand camel necks.

I hope this case fails since there isn't much basis for it, since microsoft haven't done anything wrong yet.