• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Online Gaming Lag and YOU

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Processor E8400 @ 3.80Ghz > Q9650 3.60Ghz
Motherboard Maximus Formula
Cooling D5, 7/16" ID Tubing, Maze4 with Fuzion CPU WB
Memory XMS 8500C5D @ 1066MHz
Video Card(s) HD 2900 XT 858/900 to 4870 to 5870 (Keep Vreg area clean)
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
Audio Device(s) X-fi Plantinum
Power Supply Silencer 750
Software XP Pro SP3 to Windows 7
Benchmark Scores This varies from one driver to another.
This thread is created to generate discussion to help remove/decrease online gaming lag in various games we play. The games most effected by lag are first person shooters while MMOs, etc are next in line depending on the severity of the lag.

1st Check Your PC/Monitor​
In order to reduce online gaming lag 1st you have to make sure that everything on your end (client side) is in tip top shape. Some of the things you have to examine are:
-Make sure you buy a mouse that is not only comfortable (be it for claw or palm grip) but offers the highest polling rate available.
-Make sure that the LCD you use has a low response time
-Make sure that your CPU, GPU, Ram and chipset is clocked and functioning correctly
-Remove any processes that may run in the background
-Make sure that your PC isn't overheating. Clean out dust from your PSU, video card HS&F, cpu HS&F, etc
-Make sure that your video card is actually in 3D mode when you are gaming online.
-Make sure you use Ad-Aware, SpyBot, etc to remove spyware. Also check your PC at least once a month for viruses.
-Tweak the tick rate (Thanks to Easy Rhino), max packets, etc according to how that particular game is best played online
-Make sure you have a mouse and mouse pad that tracks well.
These things you have to figure out for yourself by visiting forums that are specific to that game you play online. Once you have an idea of were your PC stands you are going to have to adjust the IQ settings for your game accordingly. What that means is that in general all IQ settings in single player may need to be reduced in order to play them online. As a general rule many do in fact do this regardless if their PC can handle it or not. Or, they edit files to include certain commands that can reduce IQ that normally isn't found in game.

2nd Know When and When Not to Render Frames Ahead​
Frames rendered ahead which defaults to 3 can cause some input lag for some. The greater the value for frames rendered ahead = better performance. But will increase input lag. Input lag = lag from any input device (mouse, joystick, gamepad, keyboard, wheel etc.). When playing online the best option is setting this to 0 (if you can, if not use 1). By doing so it will decrease frame rates but will decrease input response time. When frames are rendered ahead you are pre-rendering or pre-caching a few scenes from the CPU & driver. Which is place into a internal buffer and is processed by the GPU when it's finishes rendering the previous frame. This way the GPU doesn't stall the CPU. GPU is NOT PRERENDERING anything.

For Radeon users it's called Flip Queue Size. In order to change this feature you will need ATI Tray Tools. Once installed you right click on the ATT icon on the lower left corner of your screen. Go to 3D then to Flip Queue Size and select 0. For Nvidia users it's called maximum pre-rendered frames. In control panel goto "Perfomance & Quality Settings". Click on the "+" and go to "Additional Drect3D settings". Now your able to change the frames to render ahead. You can use the Input Lag Tester to see if you are experiencing input lag. The results of this test should be well below 1.0ms. Try this test at least 2 times (total of 10 tries). You can use your mouse, keyboard, etc. Side note: The longer you hold down the mouse button the higher the input lag will be in this test.

3rd Shared Connections Can Effect your Online Gaming Experience​
If you are sharing the internet with others in your household your ping and overall gaming experience maybe effected based on what they do. Streaming, uploading, downloading and any other P2P type activity may put a strain on your connection. However this is based on what kind of service you have and your ISP package.

4TH Port Forwarding​
Port forwarding can allow specific ports to be opened for the game(s) you play online. With so many different routers out there the process for doing this will be different. So I recommend that you visit Port Forward. Use that website as a guide to how you can open ports for your router. Once you get the gist of it things become easy. All you need to make sure is if the port is for TCP or UDP.

You can either do a google search or use a program like DUMeter. If you google ports for your game it is possible that you can open more ports then you need or, open ports you don't need for your game. With a program like DUMeter it can tell you exactly which ports are used for the game(s) you play online. Keep in mind that some games can use more then one port each time the game is loaded. To verify if this is the case with your game exit out the game and start it back up (using DUMeter or similar program) and you will see if it uses a different port. If it does the best way to narrow down the number of ports would be to visit the forum of that particular game and either read their stickies or do a "port forward" search. Or send the admin/mod a PM asking for the information.

Although you have to make sure that port is opened via Window's Firewall it is normally done when you install the game. But it doesn't hurt to check and make sure. If those ports needed to be opened it is possible to experience:
-increase in total number of servers
-decrease ping to the server you play online
-decrease lagging, stuttering and pausing

5th Know What Kind of Server You are Playing On​
There are some which are great and others not so great. There are some that work better with a specific port opened. Others may require a specific tick rate, max packets, etc. In either case you will need to do a little research on it. Game Monitor should be able to provide most of this information. Other specific information may be found in forums discussing that game (used at your own risk). If you know that everything on your end is fine and you still experience problems you may need to find another server. Sometimes it can depend on the time of day. Other times it maybe having a legitimate problem.

Which is what the favorites of your in game browser is for :). When you find a server were you know you can finish in the top 5 in the round you should make a note to save that server in your list of favorites (this is typically meant for those who know who are good). If you can't save it while in game write down the name of the server and look for it later. Nothing is more frustrating then to trying to find a server you know you do well because you forgot the name and don't remember the address.

6th Know Your Internet Service​
Understand how well your internet connection is. Not only do you have to know your up/download speed but you also have to know how long it takes to send data to and from that server. You can do this by looking up the server at Game Monitor . Then go to the command prompt and type PATHPING then input the IP address of the server (the reporting aspect of this feature can take a few minutes). What you take note to is the 2nd group of numbers. If all is well they should read 0/100 = 0%. Or you can use Tracert (thanks to Altered). You typically do this when you notice a problem. One way to try to fix this issue yourself is by unpluging your modem's power and coax/telephone wire for about 5 minutes and reconnecting it (thanks to Altered). Hopefully, with the new IP you are routed back (or close to) the server you use to play on.

7th Check Your ISP​
Nothing will frustrate you more is to have a problem that you cannot diagnose and you are the only one with the problem. The last thing you can do is check with your ISP to make sure that the information to and from their main hub is doing so within normal perimeters. Sometimes line static (for example when dealing with DSL) can cause lag as well as other problems. However, your ISP would need to test it. Sometimes you can detect this static by picking up the phone and listening to the dial tone for static like noise. There are many other examples that may apply like heavy traffic, etc. But you would need to touch base with them to make sure all is well.

8th Check Your Modem​
If all else seems ok check your modem to see if it's functioning correctly or not. There is an option on most modems that allow you to see what kind of transmission you are sending and receiving. For some it's called a Transceiver Status or Transceiver. It can be called by other names as well. What you want to look for is Margin (dB) which is how well your signal strength is which can differ from one ISP to another. However, a signal strength in the teens or better is ideal. The lower the Margin the higher you ping can get in game (which can fluctuate). It can also cause you to have poor hit registration even though your ping seems normal. If there is a problem you can either ask your ISP to do a line test. If everything is fine on their end ask them to determine what your Margin (dB) should be. If it's not what it is suppose to be ask them to either replace the modem (which should be free of charge) or to check on their end. If all is "what they consider normal" and your Margin (dB) is still low (10 or lower) as them how to increase it.

The next signal you want to look at is your Line Attenuation. Again this will differ from one ISP to another. However, the gist of this is also simple, the lower this number is the better. Line Attenuation is the amount your signal has degraded from your ISP to your modem. If this number is high it can be caused by either your ISP or the modem. Ask your ISP provider to do a line test to see if things on their end are good or not. If it is you may want to ask them to send you another modem.

The definition of both of these can be found here

For more information on what yours is suppose to read you may want to visit DSL Report Forum.

Conclusion​
Ok, these are the basics. If I haven't forgotten anything you should be able to play online and experience the same level of immersion that's others see. One way to benchmark this is to play COD online and play a server which offers kill cam instant replays. There you will see if all your hard work pays off or not. What you do is look at the replay to see if what the other person sees is what you saw as well. For example:
-You walk along a road and then you respawn
-You look at the replay and see that your opponent had walked right up in front of you and you never saw it (or some similar experience). This is a classic case of some sort of lag problem and something on your end is not allowing you to see what the server is trying to show you. It could be some sort of lag spike, high ping, etc. Try another server but this time try to pick one with a ping as low as possible and see if the same thing happens. If so, the problem is on your end and you will need to further investigate what the problem might be. If however, replays shows exactly what you saw before respawning all should be well (hacking aside).

You can also look at the timer of each round as well. If the timer always ends at 2, 3 or 4 you are lagging as it should reach 0 (some games it maybe 1). If you wish to and any useful information regarding Ping, Lag, Games, etc please feel free to do so.

Thanks

Last edited:
System Name Turbo_Fighter/Pitbull
Processor AMD FX-9590/Intel i7 6700K 4.7GHZ @ 1.41 volts
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Rev 4.0/Gigabyte GA-Z170N-Gaming 5
Cooling Corsair H105/Corsair H100iv2
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Ares/32 GB G.Skill Trident-Z
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon R9 Fury X/Sapphire R9 Nano
Storage Mix of HDDs SSDs Externals and a 256GB Samsung M.2 in the pitbull
Display(s) 24" Nixeus 144hz freesync/24'' Benq XL2420TE/21.5'' Asus VH226/Panasonic 42" Plasma
Case White Phantom NZXT/Fractal Define Nano S
Audio Device(s) MayFlower O2 ODAC/HT Omega Claro+/Turtlebeach Earforce DSS
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i/Thermaltake Smart 650Watt(EVGA GS 650 Watt took a shit on me)
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores They can run Crysis.
nice guide, should help those in need

Reventon

System Name Black & Red
Processor AMD 64 X2 6400+ BE 3.2Ghz
Motherboard JetWay JHA06-GT 780G ATX
Cooling Xigmatek HDT SD964 92mm cooler, 5 Case Fans, PCI Slot Evercool exhaust fan
Memory 4GB DDR2 667Mhz
Video Card(s) ASUS EAH4850HD 512MB
Storage Seagate 120GB HDD 7200rpm, Samsung 160GB HDD
Display(s) 19" Enivision LCD (1280x1024), 15" HP vs15c (1024x768) dual screen
Case Cooler Master Storm Scout Mid Tower
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair 400W PSU
Software Windows Vista 32-bit
Thank you East :). I will look over this again when I am playing a game online.

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
No problem.

Another way to know if you are lagging on a server or not is if the game you play online has a count down system. Games like COD4/WAW, BF2, Race Driver: Grid, etc have such a system. If the count down on your end (client side) always ends before reaching 0 (sometimes at the end of 1 second without showing 0) you maybe lagging.

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
8th option added

enaher

System Name One does not simply have enough cash for INTEL
Processor Athlon II 450 3.8ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FX-UD3
Cooling Cooler Master 212+
Memory 4x4gb Corsair DDR3
Video Card(s) 2x 5830 Sapphire 950c/1150m CF
Storage 2x Seagate 500GB Raid0 + Samsung 1TB
Display(s) BenQ G2220HDA
Case Xigmatek ASGARD PRO
Power Supply SeasonicX 750w
Software W7 x64 Ultimate
What about buying an overpriced Killer card?:laugh:, thanks really nice guide.

Lynxen

System Name Fanta Boy Systems
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E7300 @ 4.15GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte EP43-UD3L
Cooling ZALMAN CNPS9700
Memory Kingston HyperX DDR2 1066MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte ATI HD4870 1GB 790/1050
Storage Seagate 80GB; Seagate 500GB
Display(s) LG Flatron 22" W2252TQ
Case Goldfield The Grey
Audio Device(s) Digital 5.1 Surround
Power Supply Power & Cooling 750W
Software Windows Vista Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores 3D Mark Vantage - [E19317] 3DMark 03 - [60082] 3DMark2000 - 46039 - Single Core
I have had major lag before mainly in games like doom3 and quake. Thank god those games are now dead.

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
If you notice major lag on different servers turn off your modem for about 3-5 minutes. Then turn it back on to see if you ping and lag is reduced. It works for some.

You know, it's the oddest thing. A friend of mine had major issues with most online 1st person shooters. He would hit people but it would have no real effect. Turns out his Margin was really low, like 6.5dB or something like that. Once he sorted that out with his ISP he was able to take out at least 3-4 people before reloading in BF2 and COD4.

System Name KILLER
Processor Intel Core i7 4790K
Motherboard MSI Z87 G45 Gaming
Cooling Water Cooling
Memory 2x8GB Gskill 2400mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 980
Storage SSD Samsung 500GB
Display(s) 24" Asus 144hz
Case Cooler Master HAF
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Platinum
Power Supply Antec 1200 Watt Modular
Software Windows 10 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Vantage 51342
Thanks for your post and your time eastcoast!!

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
No problem, hope the you guys fine it useful.

T

TechnicalFreak

Great guide! I did however have issues with ATT (don't ask why, I have no clue). But now the only thing holding me back is my 2Mbps connection. Other than that it works great.

I do however when playing say HL2 or CS:S online use my own custom .cfg file, just to make game smoother. But ever since they introduced zBlock on my favourite server some things can't be changed..

System Name Box of Distraction
Processor Ryzen 7 1800X
Motherboard Crosshair VI Hero
Cooling Custom watercooling
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 2x8GB @ 3466MHz CL14 1T
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080Ti FE. WC'd & TDP limit increased to 360W.
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500GB & WD Black 2TB storage drive.
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" 1440P 165hz Gsync
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Phillips Fidelio X2 headphones / basic Bose speakers
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750W G3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 6.0 (mx red switches)
Software Win 10 & Linux Mint
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/infrared
I'm getting around 16ms input lag according to the tester thingey... :confused:

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
I'm getting around 16ms input lag according to the tester thingey... :confused:

When it's time to press your keyboard button/mouse button just tap it. However, even if you hold it down for a seconds or 2 it shouldn't be that high.

Great guide! I did however have issues with ATT (don't ask why, I have no clue). But now the only thing holding me back is my 2Mbps connection. Other than that it works great.

I do however when playing say HL2 or CS:S online use my own custom .cfg file, just to make game smoother. But ever since they introduced zBlock on my favourite server some things can't be changed..
If zBlock prevents you from editing the .cfg then I guess you are stuck with in game settings.

Last edited:
System Name Dell inspiron 5570
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-7500U Processor
Motherboard Dell Inc.
Memory SK Hynix 4GB DDR4 SDRAM PC4-19200
Video Card(s) Intel(R) HD Graphics 620
Storage Intel Optane+932GBHDD w/ External Crucial M500 240GB ssd
Display(s) 15.6" w/ Extended display Samsung 27"
Audio Device(s) Realtek Audio
Mouse ONN Wireless
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Home (x64)
Benchmark Scores HaHa yeah right :p
One tool I have used for years is tracert. (I like the fact there is no DL to it as well.)

On your pc, click start.
Click Run.
Type in, cmd .
Click ok.
Type in tracert and the IP of the server.
Click enter.

The way I use it is when I feel it is playing well I run one and copy the information to a notepad and name it accordingly with server name and baseline. Then on days I seem to be having issues I can run tracert again and it will provide me with info to compare to my baseline to see if I have been rerouted or where a issue may be.

If you have issues copying, highlight all, hit Ctrl & C ....go to notepad & right click paste.

Also a good cold restart is sometimes nice on a cable modem that has been up and running for weeks on end. Unplugging the power is ok but I have found removing the coax cable as well for a minute sometimes gives better results. A T2 cable tech guy told me once rubbing the inner most wire of the coax cable on the threads of the modem is a good idea while having it removed. Something about polarization or something. Not my field but I have done it not to sure if it helped or not though.

Nice post EastCoasthandle just thought this might help some.:toast:

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
Agreed, in some cases it is a good idea to:
-unplug your phone line/coax cable from the modem
-unplug the modem
-turn off your computer
for at least 3-5 minutes if you are noticing problems. Good call on tracert...(added it to the list, thanks!)

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 7 1800X
Mouse Logitech G602
When it's time to press your keyboard button/mouse button just tap it. However, even if you hold it down for a seconds or 2 it shouldn't be that high.

That's what i'm doing, tried different keys & buttons and even another mouse.

I'll try it under xp and see if it's the same.

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
That's what i'm doing, tried different keys & buttons and even another mouse.

I'll try it under xp and see if it's the same.

Yeah let us know the outcome

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
Anyone else getting 16+ ms using the Input Lag Tester?

bigtye

System Name ibuiltit
Processor E8500 stock for now
Motherboard Gigabyte EP45 DS4
Cooling CPU- Xigmatek Red Scorpion, 1x23cm fan, 3x12cm fan
Memory 4gb Corsair Dominator 8500
Video Card(s) Asus 5850 1gb
Storage Samsung 750gb F1, 500bg F1 for backup
Display(s) Samsung 226BW
Case Thermaltake Armour+
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Corsair 750 TX
Software xp 32 bit SP3, Win 7 64 bit
Ping plotter can be another useful tool to help diagnose where in the path to your gaming server you are experiencing problems.

http://www.pingplotter.com/

In the land of oz, isp's are reluctant to do anything unless you can show a history of a line problem. Ping plotter lets you record your trace route and latency against a time line so you can identify specific problem times or routes..

Worth a read through if you are having problems.

Tye

System Name HOMECOMPUTER
Processor Intel i9 - 9900k @ 5.1Ghz - 1.31v
Motherboard Asux ROG Maximus XI Hero Wifi
Cooling ek supremacy evo full nickle, 2xEK 360 Radiators, ek d5 pump/res combo, ek full cover 2080ti block
Memory 16GB DDR 3600 Trident Z RGB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 2080TI
Storage 1xWD black NVME 500GB, 1xSamsung 970 Evo Plus NVME 1TB
Display(s) 2 Dell Gaming 27" 1440P Gsync
Case Lian LI PC-011 Dynamic
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Evga P2 1200Watt
Mouse Zowie FK1+
Keyboard Corsair Strafe rgb silent
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores i'm working on that
ps2 connections are horrible, at least 16ms on the test, i don't have anything usb to test with as i'm curently in ga, i'll try when i get home to see what my logitech stuff does.

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
ps2 connections are horrible, at least 16ms on the test, i don't have anything usb to test with as i'm curently in ga, i'll try when i get home to see what my logitech stuff does.

PS2 connection is suppose to be better then usb when it comes to lag keyboard or mouse. The only reason why they use USB as it's universal. The PS2 came from IBM. However it shouldn't provide you with that kind of lag unless it's something to do with your chipset, video card or something else. Check your bios settings (long shot).

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 7 1800X
Mouse Logitech G602
Hmm, just tried in XP and got the same result. Also tried lowering the FSB to 499mhz, still no good. Getting 16.xx consistently.

I've noticed the Input Lag Testor program is using 50% cpu (1 core)... is this normal?

I suppose the next thing i can try is updating my chipset drivers. Should be fine though, the chipset drivers are the first thing I install on a fresh OS.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
this is a good guide. i think people believe that if they have the best hardware available then their hardware couldn't possibly be causing lag. but if you have a 60hz LCD monitor the greatest FPS you are going to get is 60!!! and if you play games like l4d or any source game you need to adjust your interpolation rate in game to compensate. every game developer has their own way of accounting for online lag in their game engine. the best way to eliminate lag is to force the client's settings to mimic the servers tick and bandwidth settings. a lot of people dont know that much of what they see in game is actually their computer GUESSING at information the game server has not sent yet!!!