• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HD 4870 + RBE = win... except

fredkruge

Ok, well ive had an ati radeon hd4870 for about a year now and I wanna use RBE to voltmod it to increase the core clock a bit (to 850, so I can say I have a 4890 in 4870 form, lol). I have my current core clock at 810, and if I increase it any further, when I use ATI tool to san for artifacts it finds a good amount. I have a non-reference cooler that works well, so temps arent an issue. Now, the actual issue... but before I did anything, I saved the original BIOS. I was successfuly able to increase the voltage (I think?) from 1.263 (in each column) to 1.32, I flashed and rebooted... but after I rebooted, I couldnt use rivatuner or AMD overdrive to overclock which defeats the purpose of voltmodding. So I flashed back the original BIOS for now and im asking here (the guys who know best). Is there any other program I could use to overclock? Ati tool is a definite no, and I tried ati tray tools but when I increased the core and memory clock (right click the icon, go to hardware, overclocking, then slide the tabs to the appropriate speed I want) it doesnt do anything. GPU-Z doesnt register any increase in core/memory clock, so Idk why that isnt working (not using a modified BIOS). In rivatuner (ive used it before to overclock, works well) when I go to the low level system tweaks, the overclocking tab just dissapears (when I use RBE to increase the voltage).
Im wondering, though. In the RBE, if I were to increase the voltage to 1.32 in each column, then increase the core clock to 830 in each column (only for the ones that show 750, ones that show 500 are when its in 2d/idle mode, which ill leave that value) and then increase the memory to 975/1000 (does the voltage increase memory overclockability?, I used ati tool to scan for artifacts and anything over 975 starts to produce them).
If anybody that knows how to work around RBE uses ventrilo, msg me and I can give you some info to connect to a server because it would probably be quicker than posting, waiting a while, post again, wait a while etc. Plus you can include more info talking.

System Name Ryzen5900X
Processor AMD Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO AC
Cooling NZXT Kraken X62
Memory 4x G.Skill F4-3600C17D-8GTZ
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6800XT Midnight Black
Ok, well ive had an ati radeon hd4870 for about a year now and I wanna use RBE to voltmod it to increase the core clock a bit (to 850, so I can say I have a 4890 in 4870 form, lol). I have my current core clock at 810, and if I increase it any further, when I use ATI tool to san for artifacts it finds a good amount. I have a non-reference cooler that works well, so temps arent an issue. Now, the actual issue... but before I did anything, I saved the original BIOS. I was successfuly able to increase the voltage (I think?) from 1.263 (in each column) to 1.32, I flashed and rebooted... but after I rebooted, I couldnt use rivatuner or AMD overdrive to overclock which defeats the purpose of voltmodding. So I flashed back the original BIOS for now and im asking here (the guys who know best). Is there any other program I could use to overclock? Ati tool is a definite no, and I tried ati tray tools but when I increased the core and memory clock (right click the icon, go to hardware, overclocking, then slide the tabs to the appropriate speed I want) it doesnt do anything. GPU-Z doesnt register any increase in core/memory clock, so Idk why that isnt working (not using a modified BIOS). In rivatuner (ive used it before to overclock, works well) when I go to the low level system tweaks, the overclocking tab just dissapears (when I use RBE to increase the voltage).
Im wondering, though. In the RBE, if I were to increase the voltage to 1.32 in each column, then increase the core clock to 830 in each column (only for the ones that show 750, ones that show 500 are when its in 2d/idle mode, which ill leave that value) and then increase the memory to 975/1000 (does the voltage increase memory overclockability?, I used ati tool to scan for artifacts and anything over 975 starts to produce them).
If anybody that knows how to work around RBE uses ventrilo, msg me and I can give you some info to connect to a server because it would probably be quicker than posting, waiting a while, post again, wait a while etc. Plus you can include more info talking.
Dammm very long oneliners. Please use some enters in your text.

First of all. NEVER USE ATI TOOL. The program is out of date. Last beta is almost 2 years old. If you use something. Use ATI Tray Tools or GPUTool which can be found on this site.

Second never use a modded bios when you not sure if it will work. Do first some testing with the rigth tools (GPUTool??) before you mod a bios.

Third post more info like your system, drivers etc. And include your modded and clean bios in the post.

BAGZZlash

RBE Author
First of all, you should disable overdrive (before flashing, reinstall catalyst at best) and try to overclock using BIOS modifications only, i.e. not use any other program at all.

Secondly, maybe your card doesn't utilize a VT1165, even if the BIOS is equipped to do so. In that case, the BIOS tries to program a VT1165 with the values you entered in RBE, but does not find one and so, your card uses some other chip. Or, more likely, an analogous voltage regulator. So, your volt mod does not apply. Try looking at your card to ensure there is a VT1165. It looks like this:

fredkruge

Ok, well first thing I did was go to GPUtool to see what it has, and under the voltage tab it says 'this video card does not support voltage control'. So, does that mean a no?

Last edited:

BAGZZlash

RBE Author
Ok, well first thing I did was go to GPUtool to see what it has, and under the voltage tab it says 'this video card does not support voltage control'. So, does that mean a no?

Seems so. :cry: As I wrote before, look for the VT1165 on your card to be sure.

fredkruge

Seems so. :cry: As I wrote before, look for the VT1165 on your card to be sure.

Ima try, do I need 2 of thoes, or just one? (I havent taken the heatsink off yet to check)?

my current system:
mobo: p5q pro
cpu:e8400 @4ghz (fully stable)
memory:g.skill 1000mhz RAM (not overclocked, it doesnt like to be overclocked D: )
hd 4870, it looks exactley like the palit hd 4870 sonic edition, except its visiontek, only has 1 DVI-port, has 1 VGA port, and has some vents at the back of the video card for heat to be taken out the back. (and has an HDMI port also)

Last edited: