• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Batman: Arkham Asylum Enables AA Only on NVIDIA Hardware on PCs

System Name Thakk
Processor i7 6700k @ 4.5Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte G1 Z170N ITX
Cooling H55 AIO
Memory 32GB DDR4 3100 c16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX3080 Trinity
Storage Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD / Intel 250GB SSD / Samsung Pro 512 SSD / 3TB Seagate SV32
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 100hz IPS Gsync / HTC Vive
Case QBX
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 > Creative Gigaworks T40 > AKG Q701
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Ducky Shine TKL MX Blue + Vortex PBT Doubleshots
Software Windows 10 64bit
Benchmark Scores http://www.3dmark.com/fs/12108888
Meh.. I feels BatMan Arkham devs are just lazy/out of budget and would fear that the engine would have massive code revamps / time consumed when they optimize the game for both ati and nvidia.

Its the same thing we feel sometimes when we make web apps in work.. as long as it run on IE, its good for deployment. "To hell with the firefox, chrome, etc.. go live is tommorow. Just hide the link and lets do a workaround until we find a longterm solution/fix (that would never see the sunlight)"

Processor R9 5800x3d | R7 3900X | 4800H | 2x Xeon gold 6142
Motherboard Asrock X570M | AB350M Pro 4 | Asus Tuf A15
Cooling Air | Air | duh laptop
Memory 64gb G.skill SniperX @3600 CL16 | 128gb | 32GB | 192gb
Video Card(s) RTX 4080 |Quadro P5000 | RTX2060M
Storage Many drives
Display(s) M32Q,AOC 27" 144hz something.
Case Jonsbo D41
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse g502 Lightspeed
Keyboard G913 tkl
Software win11, proxmox
Benchmark Scores 33000FS, 16300 TS. Lappy, 7000 TS.
If you plan to boycott every game that plays better on one over the other, don't expect to be playing any games. They all favor one over the other, that is just how it is. However, they all also run far beyond acceptably on both, regardless of who they favor.

You are never going to have a game that is playable on one, and completely unplayable on the other. You might have to lower a setting or two on one or the other, but really all games tend to be very similar on both when using comparable cards.

I can play almost all games.
I havnt like wanted to play a game that doesnt work on ati yet, phew.
Far beyond acceptably on both, without AA it looks ugly and ruins my experience of a game, reason why i dont like to play anything before a new videocard comes, waiting for 5870 2GB

Another issue here, previous post.
HEll if it works with opera chrome etc.
We have another problem, we only "support" IE due to a security chief from a stubborn country, and we break the law daily cause IE sux.

leonard_222003

System Name Home
Processor Q6600 @ 3300
Motherboard Gigabyte p31 ds3l
Cooling TRUE Intel Edition
Memory 4 gb x 800 mhz
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 560
Storage WD 1x250 gb Seagate 2x 1tb
Display(s) samsung T220
Case no name
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply chieftec 550w
Software Windows 7 64
I've always said Nvidia behaves like a child , they argue with Intel , Amd , integrators , even their own customers who say they have a hardware problem , they deny everything.
They act like they are the only ones who sell's :) , let's say weed , so in their mind they can pretty much do anything.
If they keep this up eventually we will have 2 groups divided , people who own ATI cards will buy ATI games , people who own Nvidia cards will buy Nvidia games.
Ati didn't make a move in this direction but Nvidia thinks they are big enough to impose Physx/CUDA like everybody on this planet owns only Nvidia video cards , if statistics prove that 90% of possible customers own Nvidia cards then ATI owners are fuc...ked.
It's sad AMD/ATI aren't this agressive , whinning about a game not supporting ATI properly is not good , what should i do ? what do they expect me to do ? you the big shot with billions of dollars do something , if you can't i'll buy Nvidia even if i don't like what they do.
Nvidia owners are probably happy with this , they could even come here and defend the green bastards but like someone here said , if it was the other way they would be outraged.
Also , saying DX11 is not so important , but CUDA and PHYSX are , of course , crap after crap , come on with the next generation Nvidia , how much are you gonna milk Gt200 and g92's ?

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> ... nope still the same :'(
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
If you plan to boycott every game that plays better on one over the other, don't expect to be playing any games. They all favor one over the other, that is just how it is. However, they all also run far beyond acceptably on both, regardless of who they favor.

You are never going to have a game that is playable on one, and completely unplayable on the other. You might have to lower a setting or two on one or the other, but really all games tend to be very similar on both when using comparable cards.

1. Why are you trying so hard to defend Nvidia in this new turn of events?
2. (responding to your message) That is not the issue at all here as I'm sure you understand, making sure something works well on your product OR paying devs to make the competators version worse, is quite something different.

Storage Many drives
Case Jonsbo D41
Mouse g502 Lightspeed
Keyboard G913 tkl
Software win11, proxmox
I've always said Nvidia behaves like a child , they argue with Intel , Amd , integrators , even their own customers who say they have a hardware problem , they deny everything.
They act like they are the only ones who sell's :) , let's say weed , so in their mind they can pretty much do anything.
If they keep this up eventually we will have 2 groups divided , people who own ATI cards will buy ATI games , people who own Nvidia cards will buy Nvidia games.
Ati didn't make a move in this direction but Nvidia thinks they are big enough to impose Physx/CUDA like everybody on this planet owns only Nvidia video cards , if statistics prove that 90% of possible customers own Nvidia cards then ATI owners are fuc...ked.
It's sad AMD/ATI aren't this agressive , whinning about a game not supporting ATI properly is not good , what should i do ? what do they expect me to do ? you the big shot with billions of dollars do something , if you can't i'll buy Nvidia even if i don't like what they do.
Nvidia owners are probably happy with this , they could even come here and defend the green bastards but like someone here said , if it was the other way they would be outraged.
Also , saying DX11 is not so important , but CUDA and PHYSX are , of course , crap after crap , come on with the next generation Nvidia , how much are you gonna milk Gt200 and g92's ?

Who knows, for another 2 years for the GT200, rename for 2 series, and with late architectur e devs from nvidia its 2 years.
ATI is pushing DX11, i can defend that, cause when nvidia get thier fist out of their ass which seems to be stuck.
They get the same features, ati is pushing tech that matrox, ati, intel, nvidia and via can use!
Not ATi only.

Dear beloved company,

PC gaming already lacks of hardcore games, please don't add more stupid political into PC gaming industry.

Thank you.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I can play almost all games.
I havnt like wanted to play a game that doesnt work on ati yet, phew.
Far beyond acceptably on both, without AA it looks ugly and ruins my experience of a game, reason why i dont like to play anything before a new videocard comes, waiting for 5870 2GB

Another issue here, previous post.
HEll if it works with opera chrome etc.
We have another problem, we only "support" IE due to a security chief from a stubborn country, and we break the law daily cause IE sux.

If you need AA to play, I pitty you, and you are not a gamer. But beyond that, you should have learned how to enable it in CCC a long time ago, because there are a lot of games that don't even give the option of AA unless you force it. So one would assume you did the same with Batman, and enjoyed it.

1. Why are you trying so hard to defend Nvidia in this new turn of events?
2. (responding to your message) That is not the issue at all here as I'm sure you understand, making sure something works well on your product OR paying devs to make the competators version worse, is quite something different.

1. Not really defending, just giving just as plausable reason to explain the situation. I like to give the benefit of the doubt and go with the most likely reason, not conspiracy theories. Never been one to jump on the conspiracy bandwagon.

2. As I've said, in either of the two senerios I believe more likely to be true, nVidia did not pay to make the competition any worse than they already were. ATi's position was not made worse in anyway by nVidia, nVidia's position might have been improved, but ATi's position wasn't made worse.

The game is so dark and it seems most gamers are going to be using the Detective Mode so I don't see alot of "Ohs and Ahs" during game play and positive reason to even enable AA and AF besides I think the game would perform better enabling AA in the game instead of in CCC. From the get go Nvidia has been all over this game and when they decided to not even update the Ageia driver and setup their drivers to disable Physx when a "non-nvidia" card is detected....I decided to say FUCK BATMAN and NVIDIA!!

OMG.. sorry I drooled all over your avatar

Sincerly,
New Cubs fan :pimp:

Storage Many drives
Case Jonsbo D41
Mouse g502 Lightspeed
Keyboard G913 tkl
Software win11, proxmox
If you need AA to play, I pitty you, and you are not a gamer. But beyond that, you should have learned how to enable it in CCC a long time ago, because there are a lot of games that don't even give the option of AA unless you force it. So one would assume you did the same with Batman, and enjoyed it.

I'm NOT A GAMER ?
National team player in 3 games.
Europe Class A player
Had games broadcasted on LIVE TV in germany, and im not a gamer ?.

Dont say things you dont know.
My progaming history might be over, but i'm still a gamer.

You dont even know me, how can you say that then ?

Get youre facts right.
My statements is backed up by own testings, physx with ati and nvidia cards did work, not anymore.
Ati had AA and more performance no problem.
Physx can run just fine on cpu.

3 things ive seen you defend like its youre newly born child.

Processor AMD Phenom II X4 955BE
Motherboard Asus M4A785TD-V Evo
Cooling Xigmatek HDT S1283
Memory 4GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3
Video Card(s) GigaByte Radeon HD3870 512MB GDDR4
Storage WD Caviar Black 640GB, Hitachi Deskstar T7K250 250GB
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster F2380M
Audio Device(s) Creative Audigy ES 5.1
Power Supply Corsair VX550
Software Microsoft Windows 7 Professional x64
Firstly, it's not nvidia's fault. It's the devs' fault, because they are corrupt and buyable.
Secondly, it's our fault, the pc gamers, we warez alot.
Thirdly it's nvidia's fault which is a company, from the worst. It's main interest is the profit at any cost.

The proprietary crap has to end

I have a gtx260 currently, and this will be the last card I buy from invidia. And this kind of thing is the reason. I don't want, for there to be only one vga company, like I don't want there to be only one major cpu maker.

The proprietary crap has to end, Really, being forced to buy from only one company is just ridiculous. My thinking immediately goes to physx/havok and both having become proprietary. Really, had things ended in a way that was good for the consumer, both of those companies would have licensed their APIs to both ATI and invida, and it would run on either brand of GPU. Now, Nvidia is blocking the functionality of Physx if there is an ATI card doing the rendering. (link) The big business attitude that both invida and intel have do a good bit to ruin gaming and computing in general. I'm actually pissed, computers and gaming are time out of mind for me...And this kind of crap is done by companies that charge ridiculous amounts of money given the opportunity. Their needs to be some kind of redressment...some how.

System Name [Primary Workstation]
Processor Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield @ 3.8GHz/4.55GHz [24-7/Bench]
Motherboard EVGA X58 E758-A1 [Tweaked right!]
Cooling Cooler Master V8 [stock fan + two 133CFM ULTRA KAZE fans]
Memory 12GB [Kingston HyperX]
Video Card(s) constantly upgrading/downgrading [prefer nVidia]
Storage constantly upgrading/downgrading [prefer Hitachi/Samsung]
Display(s) Triple LCD [40 inch primary + 32 & 28 inch auxiliary displays]
Case Cooler Master Cosmos 1000 [Mesh Mod, CFM Overload]
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar D1 + onboard Realtek ALC889A [Logitech Z-5300 Spk., Niko 650-HP 5.1 Hp., X-Bass Hp.]
Power Supply Corsair TX950W [aka Reactor]
Software This and that... [All software 100% legit and paid for, 0% pirated]
Benchmark Scores Ridiculously good scores!!!
Other than the obvious sub-segment of the user base, who cares really and is really surprised by this? Corporations will continue to exert such influence as long as there are such things as corporations.

The day AMD acquired ATI was in retrospect probably the darkest day in computing history, since on that day the unholy amalgamation that it created out of AMD and ATI fanboys will probably create a black hole that will swallow us all. And any threads on TPU with keywords such as "ATI", "AMD", or "Radeon" will continue to bloat in response rate irregardless of the validity of such threads. This thread was such obvious fanboy catastrophe in the making. Is Charlie Demerjian submitting news on TPU now? I mean 136 responses in less than five hours and all because of some shi**y comic book hero game and some ultimately minor injustice?

Maybe I should be thankful, at least ASUS-related articles have dropped to one per week, from about twenty per day from few years ago.

Storage Many drives
Case Jonsbo D41
Mouse g502 Lightspeed
Keyboard G913 tkl
Software win11, proxmox
Its about its been nvfail related issues all the time since HD5xxx was released that shocks me, before it was bareable, now its not.

AMD hater okey, i dont mind, ATI is still the same company, and AMD have done nothing but good with ATI, Open source, Drivers, market strategies that really makes sense! (might not be reason of bought by amd)
However, its not negative at all!

System Name Flow
Processor AMD Phenom II 955 BE
Motherboard MSI 790fx GD70
Cooling Water
Memory 8gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer Blue ddr3 1600 c8
Video Card(s) 2 x XFX 6850 - Yet to go under water.
Storage Corsair s128
Display(s) HP 24" 1920x1200
Case Custom Lian-Li V2110b
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte 7.1
Power Supply Corsair 850HX
*Posts Christian Bale Tirade* :roll:

Nvidia is despicable, but hey I've known that since the time I had to RMA my 6th EVGA 680i motherboard because of a fried memory controller!

This is total BS. Either NV agreed to pay all the money that the game coders will get from selling it to ATi VGA owners or funded the game from the begining..
nv: You must have a nvidia GPU to play the games.Thats how its meant to be played :p

temp02

Crysis déjà vu...

NVidia hardware isn't bad, the same thing can't be said about their so called marketing strategies.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
I'm NOT A GAMER ?
National team player in 3 games.
Europe Class A player
Had games broadcasted on LIVE TV in germany, and im not a gamer ?.

Dont say things you dont know.
My progaming history might be over, but i'm still a gamer.

You dont even know me, how can you say that then ?

If you require AA, you are not a gamer. Gamers play games because they are fun, they play them for the games themselves, not the visuals. Period. No true gamer would make the statement that AA is required to enjoy a game.

Get youre facts right.
My statements is backed up by own testings, physx with ati and nvidia cards did work, not anymore.
Ati had AA and more performance no problem.
Physx can run just fine on cpu.

3 things ive seen you defend like its youre newly born child.

nVidia disabling PhysX when an ATi card is present was a dick move. I'll be the first to say that. However, I can understand their frustration, and the reasons behind it. You are too quick to forget that nVidia actually wanted to get PhysX running natively on ATi hardware(no nVidia hardware required). And it was ATi that blocked the effort in any way possible. The fact is that nVidia was trying to be very helpful in getting PhysX/CUDA running on ATi hardware. Was the reasoning because it would benefit nVidia in the fight against Intel, and not just out of the goodness of their hearts? Probably, but who cares? The point was that nVidia was trying to get PhysX/CUDA working on ATi hardware. And after ATi blocked them at every turn, even going as far as not providing review samples to the review site that was responsible for the original hacked drivers...

Ati had AA, but in the case of Batman, it cost performance. Unlike the ingame solution which doesn't. ATi of course still has better performance thanks to the HD5870 having a very healthy horse power lead over nVidia offerings.

And of course PhysX/CUDA can run just fine on the CPU. Anything that can run the CUDA environment can run PhysX, and nVidia from the beginning has made the CUDA environment free to use and develop for any hardware, including ATis hardware. However, you have to realize that PhysX itself is ported from running on dedicated hardware, to running in a CUDA environment. And issues will arrise from this, such as not using more than one CPU core.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
NV is pushing users away, finally they have realized they don't want to price gouge consumers for hardware, and claim open source hardware and software, to work on only their overpriced hardware. They just don't want you to buy it. They are tired of your money and wants and needs, listen to the great green god, they will tell you how to live your life, what games to play, in return you will become subserviant to them, assimilating more into the masses, you will defend their every flaw with such fervor that others who are normal will wonder about you.

This is how it is, now all submit to the big green phallic probe.

That or they feel that us normal gamers are beneath them and will never be smart enough to find out about the shit they pull.

System Name Flow
Processor AMD Phenom II 955 BE
Motherboard MSI 790fx GD70
Cooling Water
Memory 8gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer Blue ddr3 1600 c8
Video Card(s) 2 x XFX 6850 - Yet to go under water.
Storage Corsair s128
Display(s) HP 24" 1920x1200
Case Custom Lian-Li V2110b
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte 7.1
Power Supply Corsair 850HX
stop telling people they arent gamers because they want AA, the doesnt make any flipping sense as this isnt a dick waving contest about who is the most HARDCORE gamer FFS

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
stop telling people they arent gamers because they want AA, the doesnt make any flipping sense as this isnt a dick waving contest about who is the most HARDCORE gamer FFS

No, stop trying to tell people what to say.

No true gamer would require AA. And no true gamer would say a game has to have AA to be enjoyable. It is that simple.

NV is pushing users away, finally they have realized they don't want to price gouge consumers for hardware, and claim open source hardware and software, to work on only their overpriced hardware. They just don't want you to buy it. They are tired of your money and wants and needs, listen to the great green god, they will tell you how to live your life, what games to play, in return you will become subserviant to them, assimilating more into the masses, you will defend their every flaw with such fervor that others who are normal will wonder about you.

This is how it is, now all submit to the big green phallic probe.

That or they feel that us normal gamers are beneath them and will never be smart enough to find out about the shit they pull.

Oh please, now you are just making shit up. Get your facts straight, nVidia has equaled or bettered ATi in price to performance for at least the last two generations in every performance segment the two competed in.

Last edited:

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
This sounds like the sort of dirty tricks that nvidia would pull. We need Charlie Demerjian's take on this!

nVidia disabling PhysX when an ATi card is present was a dick move. I'll be the first to say that. However, I can understand their frustration, and the reasons behind it. You are too quick to forget that nVidia actually wanted to get PhysX running natively on ATi hardware(no nVidia hardware required). And it was ATi that blocked the effort in any way possible. The fact is that nVidia was trying to be very helpful in getting PhysX/CUDA running on ATi hardware. Was the reasoning because it would benefit nVidia in the fight against Intel, and not just out of the goodness of their hearts? Probably, but who cares? The point was that nVidia was trying to get PhysX/CUDA working on ATi hardware. And after ATi blocked them at every turn, even going as far as not providing review samples to the review site that was responsible for the original hacked drivers...

Bullshit, you know that, because it was told you several times.
Nvidia has the source code, the physx is not an open standard, a game with hw physx would run a lot worse on ati hw than on nvidia hw, because it is optimized to nvidia hw.
Nvidia wouldn't let a game with nv's own tech to perform better on ati hw.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Bullshit, you know that, because it was told you several times.
Nvidia has the source code, the physx is not an open standard, a game with hw physx would run a lot worse on ati hw than on nvidia hw, because it is optimized to nvidia hw.

Bullshit, the tests with hacked drivers were showing PhysX running just fine on ATi hardware.

You are seriously over estimating the power required to run PhysX, any current ATi hardware would have been able to completely kill in PhysX performance. Remember, the original hardware the PhysX API ran on was 128MB PCI cards...

Bullshit, the tests with hacked drivers were showing PhysX running just fine on ATi hardware.

Where did i write it doesn't run?

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Where did i write it doesn't run?

"Running just fine" means it has good performance. Simply running with shitty performance would be far from "fine" would you say? Or do you not understand what the word fine means?