• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

First time builder needs help with i7 920

newbuilder333

Intel core i7 920 @2.66Ghz DO batch A steeping
AsRock x58 Extreme motherboard
3x2Gb OCZ Gold DDR3 SDRAM 1600Mhz Cas 8 Timings: 8-8-8-24 @1.65v
Sapphire Radeon HD 5870
Corsair HX850 PSU
Xigmatech Dark Knight CPU Cooler
2x WD Caviar Black 640Gb HDD
Samsung CD/DVD burner
Antec 902 case

Hi

Brand new to this and building my first pc. I have ordered all of the above parts and am awaiting shipping. I will be building it this weekend (10/10/09) and have a bunch of questions. I plan to install Windows 7 on this system but plan to put XP on it until Win 7 is released.

I think I will be able to assemble all of the components without too much trouble. Once that is done the moment of truth arrives and I turn on the power. I know I need to go into the BIOS first and get things set up. I am able to find all sorts of information about overclocking which is something I intend to do once I get my feet wet a little bit. What I can’t seem to find are what the standard settings should be in my BIOS for my setup. Specifically the CPU and memory settings. I have read that the OZC memory will come set to 1066Mhx for compatibility reasons. I need to know what all the settings should be for the speed, volts, etc. I also need to know what the cpu should be set at. I assume it will show up as 2.66Ghz but does that mean all of the other settings are automatically correct?

I have looked at AsRock’s website and I see the BIOS can be flashed either through DOS with a floppy drive (which I don’t have) or through Windows. However I keep reading that there are tests you should run before you install Windows such as memtest86 (from a bootable CD ISO from what I can tell). Apparently it is pretty common for the BIOS to have trouble recognizing all of the memory until the settings are tweaked (is this correct?). So this is my next major questions. What tests should I run to make sure everything is running correctly before I install Windows? Then after I install Windows what other tests should I run? I see there are a great deal of benchmarking programs available (3dMark, SiSandra,CineBench, etc.). Should I be using them when I first start or not until I get into overclocking? Then do I need to update anything else related to the motherboard/memory? I see some files on the AsRock site and I’m not sure what they do (http://www.asrock.com/MB/download.asp?Model=X58 Extreme).

I guess what would help the most might be a step-by-step list of what to do starting when I power it on for the first time. I have done a lot of research but it is a bit difficult to put it all together and separate what people are doing to overclock versus what needs to be done to get the system stable without overclocking.

Thank you much for your responses/links/patience.

Geoff

p.s. Another question popped into my mind. I will have two 640Gb hard drives and do not plan on running RAID, so can I install XP on one and Win 7 on the other and dual boot? Or can I do that and then just pick by switching the boot order in the BIOS? Or is this a bad idea in general? Just a little concerned about everything being compatible with Win 7. Thanks!

Last edited:

JrRacinFan

Served 5k and counting ...
System Name Dual Build Streamer
Processor Ryzen 7900x3d : Ryzen 4600G
Motherboard AsRock B650E Steel Legend : Giga B450i Aorus
Cooling Custom Water 1x420 : Stock
Memory 32GB T-Force Deltas : 16GB Dominator Platinums
Video Card(s) PowerColor 7900 XTX Liquid Devil: iGPU
Storage 20+ TB
Display(s) Sammy 49" 5k Ultrawide
Case Custom White Painted Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2
Audio Device(s) Onboard : Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1200W P2
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite White
Keyboard Hyperx Origins 65
Software Windows 10
From hovering it looks like it will be a fantastic build. Altho what will the PC's main use be?

If you guys must know:
i7 920
Asrock X58 Extreme
3x2GB OCZ Gold
Sapphire 5870
Corsair HX850
Xig Dark Knight
2x WD Black 640's
Samsung DVD Burner
Antec 902 case

newbuilder333

This will be a gaming pc and some time around the holidays I will add a dual tuner card and hook it up to the new 40" LCD I plan to get. I'll see if I can get everything in here now.

System Name Filtration tower
Processor i9 7900@4.4ghz
Motherboard ASRock X299 Taichi
Cooling Air
Memory 64g 3200 quad channel
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX 1080Ti
Storage 500gb Nvme, 200gb SSD, 1700gb HDD
Display(s) 34" Acer Predator 3440x1440
Case Thermaltake v71
Power Supply EVGA supernova 850 T2
looks like a very good setup, and u can get a second 5870 later,, would be a killer

newbuilder333

Brand new to this and building my first pc. I have ordered all of the above parts and am awaiting shipping. I will be building it this weekend (10/10/09) and have a bunch of questions. I plan to install Windows 7 on this system but plan to put XP on it until Win 7 is released.

I think I will be able to assemble all of the components without too much trouble. Once that is done the moment of truth arrives and I turn on the power. I know I need to go into the BIOS first and get things set up. I am able to find all sorts of information about overclocking which is something I intend to do once I get my feet wet a little bit. What I can’t seem to find are what the standard settings should be in my BIOS for my setup. Specifically the CPU and memory settings. I have read that the OZC memory will come set to 1066Mhx for compatibility reasons. I need to know what all the settings should be for the speed, volts, etc. I also need to know what the cpu should be set at. I assume it will show up as 2.66Ghz but does that mean all of the other settings are automatically correct?

I have looked at AsRock’s website and I see the BIOS can be flashed either through DOS with a floppy drive (which I don’t have) or through Windows. However I keep reading that there are tests you should run before you install Windows such as memtest86 (from a bootable CD ISO from what I can tell). Apparently it is pretty common for the BIOS to have trouble recognizing all of the memory until the settings are tweaked (is this correct?). So this is my next major questions. What tests should I run to make sure everything is running correctly before I install Windows? Then after I install Windows what other tests should I run? I see there are a great deal of benchmarking programs available (3dMark, SiSandra,CineBench, etc.). Should I be using them when I first start or not until I get into overclocking? Then do I need to update anything else related to the motherboard/memory? I see some files on the AsRock site and I’m not sure what they do.

I guess what would help the most might be a step-by-step list of what to do starting when I power it on for the first time. I have done a lot of research but it is a bit difficult to put it all together and separate what people are doing to overclock versus what needs to be done to get the system stable without overclocking.

Thank you much for your responses/links/patience.

Geoff

p.s. Another question popped into my mind. I will have two 640Gb hard drives and do not plan on running RAID, so can I install XP on one and Win 7 on the other and dual boot? Or can I do that and then just pick by switching the boot order in the BIOS? Or is this a bad idea in general? Just a little concerned about everything being compatible with Win 7. Thanks!

JrRacinFan

Served 5k and counting ...
System Name Dual Build Streamer
Processor Ryzen 7900x3d : Ryzen 4600G
Motherboard AsRock B650E Steel Legend : Giga B450i Aorus
Cooling Custom Water 1x420 : Stock
Memory 32GB T-Force Deltas : 16GB Dominator Platinums
Video Card(s) PowerColor 7900 XTX Liquid Devil: iGPU
Storage 20+ TB
Display(s) Sammy 49" 5k Ultrawide
Case Custom White Painted Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2
Audio Device(s) Onboard : Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1200W P2
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite White
Keyboard Hyperx Origins 65
Software Windows 10

newbuilder333

Yep, all ordered with some of it here. I wanted to get the best I could on my budget (~$1500) so hopefully it won't be outdated in 6 months.

System Name Filtration tower
Processor i9 7900@4.4ghz
Motherboard ASRock X299 Taichi
Cooling Air
Memory 64g 3200 quad channel
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX 1080Ti
Storage 500gb Nvme, 200gb SSD, 1700gb HDD
Display(s) 34" Acer Predator 3440x1440
Case Thermaltake v71
Power Supply EVGA supernova 850 T2
should last much longer then that,, and if it starts to feel slower with all the eyecandy directX11 might provide get that second 5870 :0)

newbuilder333

That's my plan. Probably eventually go to 12Gb ram also. I think I read that the 6 core 12 thread next INtel chip will also be x58. Not sure though.

Anyone with BIOS advice?

System Name ODIN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Memory G Skill RipjawsV F4 3600 Mhz C16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC LHR
Storage Crucial 2 TB M.2 SSD :: WD Blue M.2 1TB SSD :: 1 TB WD Black VelociRaptor
Display(s) Dell S2716DG 27" 144 Hz G-SYNC
Case Fractal Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio
Power Supply Antec HCP 850 80+ Gold
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Lux
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores I don't benchmark.
I see you are a little worried since it is your first build. Don't worry about it as I can clearly tell you have done your homework.

Occasionally, Mobo will not recognize the RAM perfectly, but that is a long store. The best thing you can do for your initial couple of boots is just test the parts. Running memtest86+ ensures your RAM is not defective so you can deal with it immediately. PSU not working will be kinda obvious. CPU so rarely fail, I just assume it works. The GPU can't really be tested until your install the OS and its drivers, so as long as you can see you are good their for now.

Remember nothing should make clicking noises. In fact the only thing that should make noise is the hum of fans and post beeping.

On the first boot, check the BIOS to make sure the settings match what the hardware should be. Everything should be correct except for maybe the RAM speed and timing. What the factory promises the RAM will run at and what the chip on the RAM say it should run at are sometimes different. If you need to, manual set to the specs on the package/online. Then comes the memtest86+ (only needs 1 full pass ~ 15 to 45 minutes). I usually take this time to clean up boxes, gather all my manuals, extra cables/parts/adapters and stuff in the PSU box (PSU boxes are always well built and make great spare part boxes).

Once you are sure nothing is defective and the Mobo properly recognized all the components, then you can start installing the OS. I would give the thermal compound on the cooler for your CPU a day or two to "cure" before OCing anything.

Last edited:

newbuilder333

Thanks for the advice. I still need to make the bootable CD for memtest 86+. When you say set the RAM specs manually to the ones on the package, will I just need to set it to 8-8-8-24 at 1.65v or are there additional settings. I'm on a Pentium4 2.66 Ghz from Dell right now so I feel a bit out of my league. The most I've done with this is replace the PSU. I have spent countless hours over the last three weeks trying to get a handle on all of this so I'm not completely lost when I actually build it.

System Name HTPC||Lenovo IBM ThinkPad
Processor AMD Phenom II x4 965 stock 3.4GHz||Intel C2D T9300 @ 2.5GHz
Motherboard Zotac 890GX-ITX WiFi||Lenovo 8918CTO
Cooling Stock 3x 120's||Stock stuff
Memory 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 6-6-6-15||3GB DDR2
Video Card(s) Asus 3870x2||nVidia Quadro NVS 140M
Storage 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 1x 2TB WD EARX ||Hitachi 160GB 7200RPM
Display(s) Samsung T260HD||
Case SilverStone Grandia GD05||
Audio Device(s) on-board||on-board
Power Supply Cooler Master 450W||6-cell
Software Windows 7 Pro x64||Windows 7 Pro x64/Linux Mint x64

Yes, you will be able to install XP on one and 7 on the other. I did that on my desktop.
When it turns on, it allows me to pick between either XP (Older Version of Windows) and Windows 7.
It is fine to do, if you want to have XP, even though 7 has an XP Mode in it. Which is pretty much
similar to running XP in a virtual machine.

newbuilder333

Thanks. I am planning to get the Home Premium Win7 which does not have the XP mode in it so I may need to install both operating systems.

D

Deleted member 67555

I hate to bug you but I noticed you said you are not going Raid0...Why not those are good hard drives but alone they only deliver 100mb/s average transfer speeds with that setup you want a lot more transfer speed than that and you can achieve about 160mb/s in raid0 with 128kb stripes and that would leave you with about 90% of the original HD space and trust me would be well worth doing..Seriously I really think you should go RAID0...,REALLY,REALLY,REALLY,REALLY,REALLY,REALLY,REALLY I can't say it enough, I have a Phenom2 920 and I have 2 WD Black ALLS 500gb same as yours but with less space and they are good but they don't really keep up with my setup and your HD's definitly would not keep up as Independent drives...Just thought i'd put that out there for you to consider

System Name ODIN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Memory G Skill RipjawsV F4 3600 Mhz C16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC LHR
Storage Crucial 2 TB M.2 SSD :: WD Blue M.2 1TB SSD :: 1 TB WD Black VelociRaptor
Display(s) Dell S2716DG 27" 144 Hz G-SYNC
Case Fractal Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio
Power Supply Antec HCP 850 80+ Gold
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Lux
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores I don't benchmark.
Thanks for the advice. I still need to make the bootable CD for memtest 86+. When you say set the RAM specs manually to the ones on the package, will I just need to set it to 8-8-8-24 at 1.65v or are there additional settings. I'm on a Pentium4 2.66 Ghz from Dell right now so I feel a bit out of my league. The most I've done with this is replace the PSU. I have spent countless hours over the last three weeks trying to get a handle on all of this so I'm not completely lost when I actually build it.

The voltage will most likely already be correct. There will be a section in the BIOS to adjust the memory. It will be set to "Auto". First switch that to Manual and a bunch of other settings will appear. In order set the CL, tRCD, tRP, and tRAS to 8-8-8-24 respectively. Do this only if the "Auto" has not already done this. It will be clear once you see the BIOS.

newbuilder333

The voltage will most likely already be correct. There will be a section in the BIOS to adjust the memory. It will be set to "Auto". First switch that to Manual and a bunch of other settings will appear. In order set the CL, tRCD, tRP, and tRAS to 8-8-8-24 respectively. Do this only if the "Auto" has not already done this. It will be clear once you see the BIOS.

Thanks. I just haven't done this before so I'm a bit nervous. I just want to get it set up and running. Saturday cannot come fast enough.

As for the RAID, I see your point but I wasn't planning on messing with RAID quite yet. i have never done it and didn't want to complicate my first ever build. Maybe in the future I will do it.

D

Deleted member 67555

Thanks. I just haven't done this before so I'm a bit nervous. I just want to get it set up and running. Saturday cannot come fast enough.

As for the RAID, I see your point but I wasn't planning on messing with RAID quite yet. i have never done it and didn't want to complicate my first ever build. Maybe in the future I will do it.
I just recently went Raid0 myself and I gotta say it's actually quite simple, I know it seems like it would be difficult especially since this is your first build, but it's not hard at all,though you probably just want to make sure you doing things right before raid and I can understand that, but to be honest it's only 4 extra steps that only take about 4 minutes and it would be one of those things that would really make your setup shine...So might I suggest you install XP like you were planning to insure your system functions properly and to ease your mind on your first build, and once you are sure it works Start over again with Raid0

newbuilder333

I'm sure I will look into it some time soon. For now I think I'm going to install XP on one drive ans Win 7 on the other. Once I'm convinced I don't actually need XP for anything, then maybe I can do RAID0. Thanks for the info.

Azoriah

System Name GlaDos
Processor e8400
Motherboard Asus P5E
Cooling Silverstone NT06-E
Memory 4GB Patriot DDR2 800 5-5-5-12
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 8800 GT
Storage 3 x 500Gb Samsung Spinpoints
Case HTPC syle
Power Supply SeaSonic 500W
I use a memory tester that will run inside of windows
http://hcidesign.com/memtest/
Its a tiny program. Very easy to run.

Sounds like you've done all your homework. If you just assemble the PC like the motherboard manual says, you should be good. I expect that everything will work right out of the box and that you won't have to make any adjustments to the BIOS before the PC will boot. Default settings should work until you want to start overclocking.

I have 3 identical drives but I don't run them in any sort of raid because 1) i need all the capacity I can get and 2) I'm terrified one will fail and I'll loose everything. I can understand why you don't want to run your drives in a raid.

Azoriah

System Name GlaDos
Processor e8400
Motherboard Asus P5E
Cooling Silverstone NT06-E
Memory 4GB Patriot DDR2 800 5-5-5-12
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 8800 GT
Storage 3 x 500Gb Samsung Spinpoints
Case HTPC syle
Power Supply SeaSonic 500W
Processor INTEL CORE I9-9900K @ 5Ghz all core 4.7Ghz Cache @1.305 volts
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z390-P ATX
Cooling CORSAIR HYDRO H150I PRO RGB 360MM 6x120mm fans push pull
Memory CRUCIAL BALLISTIX 3000Mhz 4x8 32gb @ 4000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GEFORECE RTX 2080 SUPER XC HYBRID GAMING
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND NVMe,Intel 660p 1TB m.2 ,1TB WD Blue 3D NAND,500GB WD Blue 3D NAND,
Display(s) 50" Sharp Roku TV 8ms responce time and Philips 75Hz 328E9QJAB 32" curved
Case BLACK LIAN LI O11 DYNAMIC XL FULL-TOWER GAMING CASE,
Power Supply 1600 Watt
Software Windows 10
Windows7 XP mode is ok but it has no graphic hardware acceleration .... err the others do like suns:D

D

Deleted member 67555

Windows7 XP mode is ok but it has no graphic hardware acceleration .... err the others do like suns:D

I used it with win7 pro 64 and crashed my PC I had to go to a Restore point before XP mode...
It would get to the startup DOT thing and just crash, so now I'm trying out Sun's version.. hope it works better....the odd thing is it seemed like the ERRATUM thing.....Which shouldn't be an issue with a phenomII

ASRockIQ

System Name Watermark
Processor Athlon II X4 620 @3.3GHZ V1.4250
Motherboard ASRock A780GXE/128
Cooling XIGMATEK HDT-S963 | 4 Blue LED 120mm Fans 1 Regular 120mm
Memory G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) @850MHZ
Video Card(s) Sapphire 6850 1GB (@stock)
Storage 320GB OS | 160GB Storage
Display(s) ASUS VH236H 23" 1920x1080
Case COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 (With Side Panel Window)
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Rosewill 600W 12V Rail@44
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition
dude post some pics. of the build when you can ok? best of luck man!

newbuilder333

dude post some pics. of the build when you can ok? best of luck man!

Will do. Not building until Saturday.

I just noticed the motherboard has 10 holes and the Antec 902 only came with 9 standoffs to screw into. Maybe one of them is expendable?

newbuilder333

Just a quick update. I built it yesterday and everything went really smoothly. Posted on the first try and recognized all 6Gb of RAM. I did have to change the timings to 8-8-8-24 and the the speed to 1600Mhz from 1066Mhz in the BIOS. Do I need to also change the voltage or any other settings. I passed memtest86 with a couple of passes with no errors but I'm not sure if I need to change anything else. I haven't even seen what the RAM voltage is set at but I didn't look around extensively in the BIOS yet. The AsRock did come with the latest (P1.04) BIOS version which was nice. I also installed XP 32 (the only one I have) without incident. One note for Radeon HD 5870 users, there are no XP drivers from the ATI or Sapphiretech websites. XP is not listed as supported on the product information page. Not a big deal since I'm getting 7 on 10/22 but worth noting. I was able to install Catalyst 8.6 from the provided disc but could not get the HDMI port to work on my 5 year old 58" DLP tv. DVI to my monitor worked fine. i assume this is due to XP not being officially supported but we'll see when I get Win7. Thanks for all of the help, you guys are great.

Sorry, no pics yet.