• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI Announces GT740 Extreme Performance Notebook

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
The internationally-renowned championship gaming team Fnatic.MSI has traversed the globe competing and winning competitions with a dominant weapon-MSI G Series notebooks. The newest fully-evolved G series extreme gaming notebook, the GT740, is the latest in the series to feature the newest Intel Calpella platform, the advanced Intel Core i7 quad core processor as well as Microsoft's newest operating system, Windows 7. With a 17" cinema grade display, the nVIDIA GeForce GTS 250M 3D discrete graphics card (DDR3 1GB VRAM) and 5 Hi-Fi speakers with authentic SRS Premium Sound, gaming, watching video, and listening to music are all exciting and true-to-life experiences.

The GT740 runs on Microsoft's new Windows 7 operating system and uses the latest-generation Intel Core i7 processor. The high grade nVIDIA GeForce GTS 250M 3D discrete graphics card (DDR3 1 GB VRAM), and the GT740's outstanding software specifications provide gamers with highly efficient operations and the world's strongest gaming notebook computer.
Through a complete hardware evolution, the GT740 offers Intel's advanced Intel Hyper-Threading technology, which gives its quad core processor the ultimate in processing power. When used in conjunction with Turbo Boost technology, flexible distribution of system resources in concert with the Windows 7 operating system deliver smooth execution and efficiency. With a simple user interface and the nVIDIA GeForce GTS 250M 3D discrete graphics card's high performance video processing capabilities, this notebook is the ultimate representative of high-speed performance and a specialized, must-have weapon for gamers!

Ground Shaking Audio/Video Experience
The GT740 features a 17" cinema display along with a new generation of hardware and software. The keyboard area and frame each features 2 Hi-Fi 3D speakers and a lower-unit mounted bass speaker. All together, this total 5 speaker Hi-Fi set up is designed to provide ultimate performance in audio and video applications and allow gamers enjoy a ground shaking experience.

The GT740's 5 high performance Hi-Fi speakers incorporate SRS Premium Sound quality. Built-in 7.1 channel outputs and the nVIDIA GeForce GTS 250M 3D discrete graphics card's 1GB VRAM, matched with MSI's exclusive Cinema Pro and Vivid Image Enhancement technologies, deliver a perfectly integrated hardware solution for crisp, detailed images, vivid colors, and ground shaking audio. What's more, the built-in HDMI interface renders the GT740 into a gaming platform and a digital audio/video center with outstanding functionality.

Fiery Gaming Aesthetics
The ultra-thin aluminum alloy frame with brushed metal accents allows the 17" GT740 to weigh in at a mere 3.2 kg including battery. Fiery red frame accents contrast the cold feeling of the notebook's technological interface and give the MSI G Series notebooks the feeling of movement while standing still-an appearance that defines gaming aesthetics.
The GT740 keyboard area's 2 Hi-Fi 3D speakers with polished metal detailing create a futuristic look and stand out from the understated functional keys below the touch pad. Additional speakers located on the right and left sides of the frame help make the GT740 a professional audio/video combat machine. With brilliant functionality and a formidable outward appearance, the GT740 simultaneously represents contemporary styling and the ultimate in professional, high-speed gaming capabilities.

{b]Diversified Multimedia Entertainment[/B]
The GT740 possesses a comprehensive multimedia entertainment interface, including a built-in E-SATA port for connecting external devices capable of transfer speeds of up to 3GB/s. When reading or writing data from an external device, a 3 fold increase in read and write speeds allow for effortless backup of audio, video, and picture files and prevents you from losing any of your valuable memories. At the same time, the GT740's 802.11 b/g/n wireless provides diverse, high-speed network functionality, freeing gamers from the tangled experiences of being tethered to wired networks and creating unlimited opportunities for the gaming world.

The GT740 continues to uphold the MSI G Series' reputation for excellence. Gamers most often used keys, W, A, S, and D, all feature distinct red labels and independent numerical input keys to assist gamers to more efficiently engage their opponents and battle enemies. Multiple victories at competitions around the world prove that the GT740 is the ultimate secret weapon of the international gaming team Fnatic.MSI!

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950x, Ryzen 9 5980HX
Motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4(With Noctua Fans)
Memory 32Gb Crucial 3600 Ballistix
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3080, Asus 6800M
Storage Adata SX8200 1TB NVME/WD Black 1TB NVME
Display(s) Dell 27 Inch 165Hz
Case Phanteks P500A
Audio Device(s) IFI Zen Dac/JDS Labs Atom+/SMSL Amp+Rivers Audio
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G502 SE Hero
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Mk.2
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey Plus
Software Windows 10
I didn't notice this before but did anyone notice that the GTS250M is similar to a 8800GS(probably slower)

look at it
http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_gts_250m_us.html

but nvidia says its 50% faster than previous generations on the first line

O.O

after searching it seems like there are 2 versions, the GDDR3 version and GDDR5(unreleased) version, the difference might not seem like much but the GDDR5 version has 16 rops, and the GDDR3 version has 8, making the performance difference pretty big.

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 1700 @ 3.825ghz 1.36v
Motherboard ASRock x370 Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-C14s
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB 16gb 3200
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1080 ti
Display(s) LG 4k IPS
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 + more fans
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply EVGA P2 750w
Mouse G900
Keyboard G810
Software Windows 10 Pro
Yea the GDDR3 and 5 versions are radically different. Should be different models completely.

audiotranceable

System Name Asus G60vx
Processor Intel P7450 @ 2.666 MHz (setfsb)
Motherboard Intel PM45 Rev 07 + ICH9-M Rev 03
Cooling Stock
Memory Hyundai DDR2 800 @ 1000mhz
Video Card(s) Nvidia GTX260 1024MB 256-bit
Storage 250GB SATA 2 (5400rpm) *time to upgrade*
Display(s) 1366x768 @ 90hz
Case Stock
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD
Power Supply Stock
Software Windows 7 SP1 64-bit
96 shaders ouch just has fast has my 9600gso G92 core than

System Name Core i9 rig / Lenovo laptop
Processor Core i9 10900X / Core i5 8350U
Motherboard Asus Prime X299 Edition 30 / Lenovo motherboard
Cooling Corsair H115i PRO RGB / stock cooler
Memory Gskill 4x8GB 3600mhz / 16GB 2400mhz
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix RTX 2080 Super / UHD 620
Storage Samsung SSD 970 PRO 1TB / Samsung OEM 256GB NVMe
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp UP3017 / Full HD IPS touch
Case Coolermaster mastercase H500M
Audio Device(s) Onboard sound
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 1700 watt / Lenovo 65watt power adapter
Mouse Logitech M500s
Keyboard Cherry
Software Windows 11 Pro / Windows 11 Pro
very good notebook. would like to own it. i7 in a notebook. :D

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
Another desktop machine with integrated UPS. notebook my rear end.:shadedshu

Somebody's hatin'..... :D

I say fabulous. I hate small laptops and loathe netbooks (more useless than tits on a boar).

I think screens smaller than 15.4 should be banned.