• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA GeForce 191.07 WHQL Drivers Released

Like I said the problem started with the screen going blank. Then other stuff would happen. I still say driver did it. I never had that problem before. Once I installed the new drivers this would happen, anytime I would run a game for more than 5 minutes. This happened 3 times. Once I uninstalled the old driver that was the end of my problem. I've been playing the same games that mad it crash for hours, and nothing happened. I think these drivers caused a OC error. Because Once it would crash I would have a OC error, that's not even real. All I would have to do is boot up my bios and save and quit with out changing a thing. I'm thinking my bios does not like these drivers. I'm gona try updating my bios and reinstalling these to see what happens.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Then can you explain why once I uninstalled these driver and went back to my old drivers. Those problems stopped?

The screen went blank because Windows froze. Windows froze because your hard drive had an error, most likely causing it to no longer be detected. The hard drive error caused the BIOS to re-arrange the boot order.

You fixed the boot order, and booted into Windows.

Nothing to do with video card drivers, and everything to do with a failing hard drive(or SATA cable, or power cable, or power supply, or etc...).

Nope I think your wrong. Windows did not freeze, I could alt-tab out of a game and the music would stop. It was the bios and the driver. I've updated to the newest bios and the newest driver, and everything is working. Simple cause and effect.

System Name Nexus PC
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1231 v3, 3600 MHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H97-HD3
Cooling Thermalright Macho V2
Memory 24GB DDR3, 1400MHZ CL8
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon R9 290
Storage Samsung EVO 960 250gb, EVO 850 250gb, Vertex 3 128gb. 2 TB of Rotational.
Display(s) 1xAsus MX299, 2x Asus MX239, Oculus Rift CV1
Case Sunflower Tower
Audio Device(s) C-Media CMI8738/C3DX
Power Supply Corsair TX850
Mouse Cyborg R.A.T. 7
Software Win7 64Bit Ultimate
ever heard of multi-issue, genius of the lamp?

ever heard of multi-issue, genius of the lamp?

You don't got to be a dick about it. Did you or can you read? I said it was the driver and my bios. That's a multi-issue is it not? I was right. Old bios + new driver = fail. Old bios + old driver = no errors. New bios + new driver = no errors. Thanks, but you were all wrong and it was the driver. The Driver was conflicting with my bios. I was on a beta bios. I went to another site and other people with the same board were having similar problems. Once they updated their bios, that was the end of their problems. Thanks, but no thanks to all you know it all's.

CDdude55

Crazy 4 TPU!!!
System Name CDdude's Rig!
Processor AMD Athlon II X4 620
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
Cooling Corsair H70
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengence @1600mhz
Video Card(s) XFX HD 6970 2GB
Storage OCZ Agility 3 60GB SSD/WD Velociraptor 300GB
Display(s) ASUS VH232H 23" 1920x1080
Case Cooler Master CM690 (w/ side window)
Audio Device(s) Onboard (It sounds fine)
Power Supply Corsair 850TX
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SP1
None of us were wrong, its the fact that video card drivers can't effect your BIOS settings.

Now if you really are using a Beta version BIOS, you should of said that and went into detail and see if others have obtained and are using that BIOS to. Just saying something like, 'omg my bios don't work and my games crash cause the drivers is messing it up' isn't going to help. What do you expect everyone to say?, its the fact that its common knowledge that its not going to screw with your BIOS, so its up to you to see about other plausible issues.

ptack

Folks,
Sorry about my limited tech abilities, but I installed this driver n my machine (windows XP, 7900GTs in SLI) and no problem. My son installed it on his machine (windows XP, 8800GT)and immediately had a problem. He's pretty upset. There appeared all sorts of line fragments on the screen at start up and then after the Bios, the screen goes black and then it all locks up. He's only 13 and neither of us are that good with computers. We can run his machine in Safe Mode. Can anyone please tell me how to undo this on his machine?
ptack@optonline.net

I see SPY!

System Name ಠ_ಠ SERIOUS BOX ಠ_ಠ
Processor C2D e7200 @ 3.2Ghz
Motherboard Asus P5Q-Pro
Cooling Intel stock cooling
Memory 2x2Gb Exceleram(1066mhz, 1.8V)
Video Card(s) Sapphire 4850 512mb
Storage SATA2 WD Caviar Blue 500gb
Display(s) Asus VW222U (22")
Case generic case
Audio Device(s) on-board
Power Supply Corsair TX-650W
Software Windows 7 64
If your son didn't change anything else at the computer it seems to have been some problem with the driver. Do you know which version you had installed previously?
Just enter windows in safe mode, uninstall the current driver, reboot and download and install the previous working version. You should be fine.

Also check this useful guide, might help you too:
http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=52502

ptack

Thanks Spy. I think the driver was probably the original from the build by Cyberpower PC. I need to see if they gave us the original disk for the 8800GT. If they did not, do you know where I could find the driver from 1 year ago?

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Folks,
Sorry about my limited tech abilities, but I installed this driver n my machine (windows XP, 7900GTs in SLI) and no problem. My son installed it on his machine (windows XP, 8800GT)and immediately had a problem. He's pretty upset. There appeared all sorts of line fragments on the screen at start up and then after the Bios, the screen goes black and then it all locks up. He's only 13 and neither of us are that good with computers. We can run his machine in Safe Mode. Can anyone please tell me how to undo this on his machine?
ptack@optonline.net

The card fried. There isn't even a driver loaded at that point, so this driver, or any other, would have no affect here. If you are getting strange lines/artifacts before you even boot into windows, it is a good sign of a dead card.

You don't got to be a dick about it. Did you or can you read? I said it was the driver and my bios. That's a multi-issue is it not? I was right. Old bios + new driver = fail. Old bios + old driver = no errors. New bios + new driver = no errors. Thanks, but you were all wrong and it was the driver. The Driver was conflicting with my bios. I was on a beta bios. I went to another site and other people with the same board were having similar problems. Once they updated their bios, that was the end of their problems. Thanks, but no thanks to all you know it all's.

So...it was a BIOS issue, and had nothing to do with the driver... I was close, not bad for a guess based on extremely limitted information.

I see SPY!

System Name ಠ_ಠ SERIOUS BOX ಠ_ಠ
Processor C2D e7200 @ 3.2Ghz
Motherboard Asus P5Q-Pro
Cooling Intel stock cooling
Memory 2x2Gb Exceleram(1066mhz, 1.8V)
Video Card(s) Sapphire 4850 512mb
Storage SATA2 WD Caviar Blue 500gb
Display(s) Asus VW222U (22")
Case generic case
Audio Device(s) on-board
Power Supply Corsair TX-650W
Software Windows 7 64
I read that wrong. I understood he said the problem happened AFTER the Bios. If the problems show even before Windows loaded then yeah, it's not software/drivers :eek:

BababooeyHTJ

Processor i5 3570k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z77 UD5h
Cooling XSPC Raystrom
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 1600mhz
Video Card(s) 7950 crossfire
Storage a few
Display(s) 27" Catleap
Case Xigmatek Elysium
Audio Device(s) Xonar STX
Power Supply Seasonic X1050
Software Windows 7 X64
It annoys me is that with every new driver Nvidia seems to squeeze some more juice out of its cards while I rarely see that with the Catalyst(but truth be told, I haven't updated the drivers since 9.4).

I haven't noticed any real improvement in performance since 182.50. 186.16 was a solid driver and the 191.xx beta (official) seemed pretty good but I didn't play with it for too long. There were monts of a lot of crappy drivers inbetween the ones that I mentioned.

I just picked up an x2 and can't wait to try it out. :) I'm sure I'll be complaining about ATI drivers soon, too. ;)

ptack

Thanks everyone - the 8800GT card seemed to be the problem. Loaded a new GTX 275 in and everything works beautifully. The new driver must have pushed the 8800 over the edge.

I think the new driver must have pushed my GTX295 over the edge too. What happened was once I installed the newest driver it developed an over heating problem. With the new drivers I idle about 80c, I was never this high with the older drivers (not even close). With a GFX stress test I can get to the 105c danger zone in about 2 minutes. With a game like Risen I'll get there in about 5 minutes. I can even turn up the fan to 100%, and still it would get to 105c no problem. What the GFX stress test told me was when it failed it was a overclocking issue, and to turn off my OC. I never OC'd this card not even once. So I got to thinking. It thinks its a OC'ing issue, so once it got to it's shut off point at 105c. It crashes then reset the bios defaults, as an OC bios safe mode. Because I was having the "HDD Boot Priority" changes after a crash, not a "bootmgr is missing" problem. Even though it would say "bootmgr is missing", but all I would have to do is boot up my bios and change the "HDD Boot Priority" to what it should be, and it was fine until the next crash. Like I said the card is still having heating problems, no matter what driver. I idle with driver 186.18 around 71-75c, and can still get to 105c, but it takes longer. So now that I know Its a heating problem caused by the new drivers I called up BFG, and I'm getting it RMA'd.

leits

Folks,
ptack@optonline.net

Sadly I had the same problem after installing new drivers.

larzie

Have the same problem with the line fragments after installing those nasty drivers.
If i buy a new graphics card other then my 8800gtx it should be fine you say?
In my opinion Nvidia should buy me a new one if those new drivers are the cause of breaking it down! Paid over 400 euro for it about 2 yrs ago!!!

A lot of people seem to have an issue with these new Nvidia drivers. Guess Nvidia didn't test them good enough before releasing them.

It's not only the strange line fragments. Also strange signs throughout the whole screen when starting up my pc and weird lines. Then my computer restarts again. Just like with Ptack I can only start my computer in safe mode.

Last edited:
Processor Core I5 4440 / 4430
Motherboard Asus z87-k / Gigabyte ga h97- d3h
Cooling Arctic freezer / Generic
Memory 8 gb Mushkin / Various
Video Card(s) Radeon 7850 cf / Gtx 690
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 gb / 2x1 terabyte hdds Wd 256 gb nvme
Display(s) Technika 32" / Asus 24` ips
Case Corsair
Audio Device(s) X-fi Titanium
Power Supply Corsair 850 w
Software Windows 10
Wow spook ! I`m getting similar problems with my gtx 275. Suddenly overheating etc.

Could there be a direct correlation with hardware failure and these drivers? More and more people are saying they're having these issues.

Processor Core I5 4440 / 4430
Motherboard Asus z87-k / Gigabyte ga h97- d3h
Cooling Arctic freezer / Generic
Memory 8 gb Mushkin / Various
Video Card(s) Radeon 7850 cf / Gtx 690
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 gb / 2x1 terabyte hdds Wd 256 gb nvme
Display(s) Technika 32" / Asus 24` ips
Case Corsair
Audio Device(s) X-fi Titanium
Power Supply Corsair 850 w
Software Windows 10
System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
If they are like the ATI drivers there is a degree of voltage control implemented. So perhaps their performance increase came from extra voltage and thus the fried cards and other issues which seem to be heat related.

Also could explain the extra performance, if they anticipate you to clock your card higher with the extra voltage or something of the like.

BababooeyHTJ

Processor i5 3570k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z77 UD5h
Cooling XSPC Raystrom
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 1600mhz
Video Card(s) 7950 crossfire
Storage a few
Display(s) 27" Catleap
Case Xigmatek Elysium
Audio Device(s) Xonar STX
Power Supply Seasonic X1050
Software Windows 7 X64
If they are like the ATI drivers there is a degree of voltage control implemented. So perhaps their performance increase came from extra voltage and thus the fried cards and other issues which seem to be heat related.

Also could explain the extra performance, if they anticipate you to clock your card higher with the extra voltage or something of the like.

If it were a GTX280 or 65nm 260 it could technically be possible but afaik there is no voltage control on the 55nm GT200 cards since they use different vrms. Most of these complaints have been due to auto fan speed not working properly. I use a 280 cooled with an HR-03 and noticed no increase in temps or voltage with 191.07.

Last edited:

larzie

Nice so they fried my graphics card :S Please send us the person responsible for this so we can fry him/her. :mad:

I have this mobo: http://www.nvnews.net/reviews/asus_p5n32_s...ium/index.shtml
This graphics card: http://reviews.cnet.com/graphics-cards/evg...7-32144148.html
And this processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600

Btw: if you remove the nvidia drivers in safe mode you can start your pc again in normal mode. Though it still has the rainbow scribbles and if u install the nvidia drivers again still the same problem.

Screenshots:

Reinstalling windows did not work.

Downgrading nvidia drivers did not work.

Also read that updating bios did not work.

Has someone replaced his/her graphics card yet?

Last edited:

cinos

These pictures are almost exactly what I am now seeing. From what I have heard of the 191.07 drivers they seem to change certain voltage settings which act as a slow working cancer, slowly damaging either the motherboard, pci slot, graphics card or any combination of the 3. :#

I'm really hoping that my comp hasn't reached that stage as I only had the drivers installed for just over a week. However I cannot now play any game without the graphics glitching seconds into it loading to the title screen which, if I am not fast enough to close the program, will completely freeze my computer.

I've now completely removed 191.07 (add/remove, driver sweeper in safe mode, ccleaner) and reinstalled 190.62 however it is still buggered. Reinstalling Direct X 9 seemed to fix the problem for a few days but now it's back and I can't fix it anymore. :(

My Comp at present has:

Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 2.4 GHz,
8190MB RAM,
EVGA 680i Motherboard,
EVGA 8800GTX,
Windows XP 64bit.

I have never attempted to overclock my computer so I really hope that it hasn't been screwed by Nvidia. :#

Please, has anyone found a fix for this which doesn't require me buying a new motherboard/graphics card?

cinos

Well if I do have to replace both I think I'm going to have to go Ati after this...

The only small consolation for me is that I can still use the machine for everything else aside from 3d apps. Not much of a consolation but I'll take what I can get at this point.