• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Shuns Lucid Hydra

System Name Awesomesauce 4.3 | Laptop (MSI GE72VR 6RF Apache Pro-023)
Processor Intel Core i7-5820K 4.16GHz 1.28v/3GHz 1.05v uncore | Intel Core i7-6700HQ @ 3.1GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-X99-UD5 WiFi LGA2011-v3| Stock
Cooling Corsair H100i v2 w/ 2x EK Vardar F4-120ER + various 120/140mm case fans | Stock
Memory G.Skill RJ-4 16GB DDR4-2666 CL15 quad channel | 12GB DDR4-2133
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid SC2 11GB @ 2012/5151 boost | NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB +200/+500 + Intel 530
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 500GB + Seagate 3TB 7200RPM + others | Kingston 256GB M.2 SATA + 1TB 7200RPM
Display(s) Acer G257HU 1440p 60Hz AH-IPS 4ms | 17.3" 1920*1080 60Hz wide angle TN notebook panel
Case Fractal Design Define XL R2 | MSI
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z | Realtek with quad stereo speakers and subwoofer
Power Supply Corsair HX850i Platinum | 19.5v 180w Delta brick
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 | Windows 10 Home x64

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
He is right, the company is called nVIDIA.
NVIDIA is NVIDIA in all their legal documents. I haven't seen NVIDIA say what it actually stands for or what their inspiration was for the name (if there was any).

- From what I understand Hydra takes DirectX calls and converts them into smaller instructions that the GPUs can understand. As I see it that pretty much bypasses most of the vendor or GPU specific driver work. Where do driver level optimizations go? At least 25% of todays performance comes from GPU and game specific driver level optimizatios. Is Hydra really able to take advantage of those optimizations, when it purposedly breaks original DX calls and breaks them up into smaller pieces? Or are they going to make their own optimizations (do they have the manpower to do so)?
Hydra sits on the HAL--above drivers. What NVIDIA is going to do is search for the Hydra HAL and, if found, basically brick the NVIDIA GPUs just for the sake of not letting anyone use NVIDIA cards on a Hydra platform.

As far as normal GPU operation is concerned, Hydra never existed. Hydra is transparent being on the HAL.

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Yes, but I mean you cant crossfire 2 ATI cards in a Nvidia chip mobo, can you??

Nobody is going to make nForce 790i SLI motherboards all over again, just with Hydra in place. I am fairly sure about that. nForce 700i, 700a are circa 2007. nForce 980a is a very small market. Only two motherboards so far. Nobody will bother giving it Hydra.

You saying that is just hilarious. :roll:

- Do we know if Hydra really works as well as they say it works? What they showna year ago or so was not very promising IMO. If SLI is significantly faster, I can understand Nvidia disallowing this for their cards. Yes Hydra allows Nvidia + Ati, but if it comes at the cost of not working as well as SLI/Crossfire when both cards are the same, Nvdia is in their right to not allow it on their cards, specially if <read next 2 questions>

- Has Lucid worked with Nvidia/AMD in order to improve compatibility or make optimizations? Have they shared key technology info, so that optimizations can be made from both sides? IMO no, they don't. They probably don't want to share it with them, because that could let them learn the technology and implement it by themselves.

- From what I understand Hydra takes DirectX calls and converts them into smaller instructions that the GPUs can understand. As I see it that pretty much bypasses most of the vendor or GPU specific driver work. Where do driver level optimizations go? At least 25% of todays performance comes from GPU and game specific driver level optimizatios. Is Hydra really able to take advantage of those optimizations, when it purposedly breaks original DX calls and breaks them up into smaller pieces? Or are they going to make their own optimizations (do they have the manpower to do so)?

-part one doesn't matter, if the consumer is willing to sacrifice performance (and I doubt that's the issue for invidia) for a product that serves a variety of functions, it's his choice. Same for part 2.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Two propriatary technologies replaced with one...I don't really care...let them fight it out.

And picking the Hydra chip might save the motherboard manufacturers $3 or $5 per board on SLi licencing, but how much does the Hydra chip cost? I'm betting more than $5.

I wish the two companies would just quite their petty crap, and open both Crossfire and SLi for all platforms, without licencing. If your motherboard can support Two video card, you can run either, that is how it should be. This crap with nVidia locking it to only their chipsets, and AMD locking it to only their chipsets(and Intel's on the Intel side) is idiotic.

The Hydra technology is cool because you can mix difference graphics cards, but I'm betting the overhead of doing this will be horrible, and the performance gains won't be anything near true Crossfire and SLi.

I hope someone has the guts (and resources) to sue NVIDIA for their practices in regards to SLI and PhysX. Their selfish behavior has to stop, now.

PhysX I understand where you are coming from, even though I also understand where nVidia is coming from in that it was ATi's fault for not allowing PhysX to run natively on it's hardware. But SLi? You're kidding right?

Last edited:

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
Perhaps fearing a loss of revenue

Perhaps Indeed, there is a lot of perhaps surrounding this debate ;)

Let me guess, this furthers peoples opinion that Nvidia are evil, or employ underhanded tactics? it's business, and for the most part, they do it well, despite a series of blunders over the past 12-18 months.

Processor Intel i5 12600KF
Motherboard MSI PRO Z690-P DDR4, Socket 1700
Cooling MSI Ventus AIO
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 32GB, DDR4, 3200MHz
Video Card(s) MSI VentusRTX 3060 12Gb
Storage XPS 1TB | 2x Kingston 2TB Sata | Sinology 4TB (Raid1) |
Display(s) 24" Dell U2417H
Case Msi Mpg Odin
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC887 + Microlab Solo 6C
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME TX-750, 80
Mouse Razer
Keyboard Razer
Software Windows 10 x64
[...] Perhaps fearing a loss of revenue, NVIDIA is working on its drivers to ensure that its GeForce GPUs don’t work on platforms that use Hydra. Perhaps this also ensures "quality control, and compatibility", since if the customer isn't satisfied with the quality and performance of Hydra, NVIDIA for one, could end up in the bad books. This could then also kick up warranty issues, and product returns.[...]

If this was only about quality control they'd would just set a Disclaimer and Warning notifying the user that: Any problem encountered while using this Hydra Lucid is in no way responsibility of Nvidia, and not covered by warranty or technical service from their part. This would be the wise and sensible approach. What do they do instead? block it altogether.

No, this is about their revenue almost entirely. This is my opinion.

I rest my case.

If this was only about quality control they'd would just set a Disclaimer and Warning notifying the user that: Any problem encountered while using this Hydra Lucid is in no way responsibility of Nvidia, and not covered by warranty or technical service from their part. This would be the wise and sensible approach. What do they do instead? block it altogether.

I rest my case.
agreed

Benetanegia

Hydra sits on the HAL--above drivers. What NVIDIA is going to do is search for the Hydra HAL and, if found, basically brick the NVIDIA GPUs just for the sake of not letting anyone use NVIDIA cards on a Hydra platform.

I know what they are doing. Even if (should I say "because", in fact) they work above driver level, they break up the normal execution of the game into smaller pieces that are then split across all the GPUs available (the fact that any GPU combination works is based on this fact). That breaks any optimizations that are made in driver level for the complex instructions and specially those that are specific for the games.

As far as normal GPU operation is concerned, Hydra never existed. Hydra is transparent being on the HAL.

As I said it's transparent as far as execution goes, but it changes completely the work that the GPUs are doing.

-part one doesn't matter, if the consumer is willing to sacrifice performance (and I doubt that's the issue for invidia) for a product that serves a variety of functions, it's his choice. Same for part 2.

It might not be a concern for an informed user, but Nvidia might be concerned about the uninformed user who would only be able to see that two Nvidia cards are not performing as they should. Uninformed people is 90% of users so it is a big concern for them, in fact.

Extension to that argument: If performance is worse than SLI/Crossfire overall, what's the point of putting a HD5870 and GTX285 together using Hydra (assuming you had a GTX285) when it will perform the same as GTX285 SLI on a normal X58 board? Why not just buy another GTX285 or sell your GTX285 and get two HD5850 cards and enjoy a real improvement?

Last edited:
Cooling MSI Ventus AIO
Case Msi Mpg Odin
Mouse Razer
Keyboard Razer
Software Windows 10 x64
Yes I agree this is business, cutthroat environment. They have to fight to survive. But it's an old saying that it's not the strongest of a kind to survive, nor the smartest. It's the one more capable to adapt the current situation.

Their products are excellent, that's good but their business scheme is hostile and it'll draw unwanted attention given time. They should refocus on what they do best and that's video cards not c*ckblocking everyone and losing some customers in the process.

Benetanegia

And yes, this is exactly the same as AMD refusing to let PhysX run on their hardware. Nvidia was probably not willing to share key code information with them so that optimizations could be made in both sides, so AMD refused to support it.

Lucid is not willing to share their key technology so...

Exactly the same. Plus Nvidia is not blocking Hydra technology, they are just not allowing it to run with their hardware. I'm going to use the mantra of AMD and say that until Lucid makes Hydra an open standard, I'm not concerned wether Nvidia blocks or doesn't block them. I have never liked multi-GPU anyway.

It might not be a concern for an informed user, but Nvidia might be concerned about the uninformed user who would only be able to see that two Nvidia cards are not performing as they should. Uninformed people is 90% of users so it is a big concern for them, in fact.

Extension to that argument: If performance is worse than SLI/Crossfire overall, what's the point of putting a HD5870 and GTX285 together using Hydra (assuming you had a GTX285) when it will perform the same as GTX285 SLI on a normal X58 board? Why not just buy another GTX285 or sell your GTX285 and get two HD5850 cards and enjoy a real improvement?
I'm not sure what the second point is here, but when I read the first part, it seems like an attempt to rationalize their choices. If driver optimization is a problem, curtailing compatibility, prior to any effort to work around that problem, is a poor choice. The effort put into blocking compatibility could be spent on a workaround or real solution to the problem.

And yes, this is exactly the same as AMD refusing to let PhysX run on their hardware. Nvidia was probably not willing to share key code information with them so that optimizations could be made in both sides, so AMD refused to support it.

Lucid is not willing to share their key technology so...

Exactly the same. Plus Nvidia is not blocking Hydra technology, they are just not allowing it to run with their hardware. I'm going to use the mantra of AMD and say that until Lucid makes Hydra an open standard, I'm not concerned wether Nvidia blocks or doesn't block them. I have never liked multi-GPU anyway.
No it isn't, licensing from their competitors is not the same as blocking a non-party specific piece of hardware. Lucid does own their chip, but neither AMD nor invidia are forced to license directly from one another.

WarEagleAU

Bird of Prey
System Name Pandemic 2020
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 "Gen 2" 2600X
Motherboard AsRock X470 Killer Promontory
Cooling CoolerMaster 240 RGB Master Cooler (Newegg Eggxpert)
Memory 32 GB Geil EVO Portenza DDR4 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 DUAL-RX580-O8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video C
Storage WD 250 M.2, Corsair P500 M.2, OCZ Trion 500, WD Black 1TB, Assorted others.
Display(s) ASUS MG24UQ Gaming Monitor - 23.6" 4K UHD (3840x2160) , IPS, Adaptive Sync, DisplayWidget
Case Fractal Define R6 C
Audio Device(s) Realtek 5.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RMX 850 Platinum PSU (Newegg Eggxpert)
Mouse Razer Death Adder
Keyboard Corsair K95 Mechanical & Corsair K65 Wired, Wireless, Bluetooth)
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Didn't read all responses, but Nvidia needs to get over it. Of course I understand them wanting to protect their profit, especially if their Chipsets are suffering, but they are selling a bunch of GPUs. Really Nvidia...

Processor C2Q6600 @ 1.6 GHz
Motherboard Anus PQ5
Cooling ACFPro
Memory GEiL2 x 1 GB PC2 6400
Video Card(s) MSi 4830 (RIP)
Storage Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320 GB Perpendicular Recording
Display(s) Dell 17'
Case El Cheepo
Audio Device(s) 7.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Software MCE2K5
Anyone suprised?

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Case Coolermaster NR200P
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
I feel it is the same, AMD said NO, Nvidia say NO, companies say no when they don't want to. We need to get over it.

and can we please refer to Nvidia by their real name? I mean come on.

Or have we descended into name calling now?

Cooling MSI Ventus AIO
Case Msi Mpg Odin
Mouse Razer
Keyboard Razer
Software Windows 10 x64
[...]Plus Nvidia is not blocking Hydra technology, they are just not allowing it to run with their hardware.

My english may fail me but. "Blocking" and "not allowing" is kind of the same in this context since there are currently 2 major players. Lucid Hydra with Nvidia cards barred... may as well be Crossfire

If X is SLI and Y is Crossfire and lucid hydra is XY then X+Y-X=Y so.. :p

[...]I'm going to use the mantra of AMD and say that until Lucid makes Hydra an open standard, I'm not concerned wether Nvidia blocks or doesn't block them. I have never liked multi-GPU anyway.

Yes it's an great view point on the situation. Now wouldn't it be hilarious if AMD did the same thing and bar their hardware on the Lucid Hydra?:laugh:

I feel it is the same, AMD said NO, Nvidia say NO, companies say no when they don't want to. We need to get over it.

and can we please refer to Nvidia by their real name? I mean come on.

Or have we descended into name calling now?
are you referring to my use of invidia in place of nvidia? How would that be name calling? I'm curious.

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Case Coolermaster NR200P
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Rog b450-f
Cooling Cooler master 120mm aio
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3x 3070
Storage 2tb intel nvme and 2tb generic ssd
Display(s) Generic dell 1080p overclocked to 75hz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Power Supply 650w of borderline fire hazard
Mouse Some wierd Chinese vertical mouse
Keyboard Generic mechanical keyboard
Software Windows ten
And Joe isn't my name and yet people call me it instead of Joseph.

I'd hardly call that name calling.

Name calling implies malicious/hurtful intentions.

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Case Coolermaster NR200P
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
I'll drop it don't worry, call them what you like, it's not worth an argument.

In any case, this move seems typical of their attitude, and I say good on em.

my 2 cents.

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro

I rest my case.

Which is why I used quotes. The Quality Control BS is what we've been fed, spoonful shovelful, with the recent PhysX cards on systems with ATI incident. It's a great coverup for the uninitiated.

Processor C2Q6600 @ 1.6 GHz
Motherboard Anus PQ5
Cooling ACFPro
Memory GEiL2 x 1 GB PC2 6400
Video Card(s) MSi 4830 (RIP)
Storage Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320 GB Perpendicular Recording
Display(s) Dell 17'
Case El Cheepo
Audio Device(s) 7.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Software MCE2K5
shovefuls of manure i might add

Its not their name? hello!

that's cool but its not their name.
I'm not sure where the name comes from if not invidia, I'm not going to talk about this with you if you're so sure it's derrogatory. If you came to that conclusion based on my ill will regarding this issue, you're entirely mistaken.

If you look at the logo, the eye is the I in invidia. That's solely where it comes from.

Last edited:

InnocentCriminal

Resident Grammar Amender
System Name BeeR 6
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K*
Motherboard ASUS Maximus V Gene (1155/Z77)
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 16GB Samsung Green 1600MHz DDR3**
Video Card(s) 4GB MSI Gaming X RX480
Storage 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD
Display(s) 27" Samsung C27F591FDU
Case Fractal Design Arc Mini
Power Supply Corsair HX750W
Software 64bit Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores *@ 4.6GHz **@ 2133MHz
It's not an "i" it's an eye, relating to vision et al. You've got good grounds to think it's inspired by invidia and honestly I wouldn't be surprised if it was an influence, however - nVIDIA are called nVIDIA end of.