• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Radeon 9550 to 9600 Bios Mod

dodol

good news for 9600 Np owners

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This my true story
i have 9600 NP (sapphire) 325/400 and with passive heat sink
i run ati tool and it's only reach 416/500 max core clock
to prove my max core, then i think to attach additional heat sink and fan.
It's simple way and also cheap
I buy an allumunium heat sink (flat) and fan not from the computer shop
but from electronic parts shop the reason is more cheapest
And don't forget buy a sillica grease (thermal paste) it will increase condutivity between the original vga heat sink and additional sink that we attach onto it.
In my work new sink attached upper the original vga sink, and the fan attached upper the new sink.
And i tight them all. (depend on your design and vga card you have)
I take the voltage for fan, from the casing voltage (make it paralel)
Last check, make the new sink have a good conductivity to absorp calor from the original sink. And the fan run properly
Then put it back to agp slot
Running the computer open the ati tool and try find max mem core and GPU core
My result increased up and reach 460/580 max core
But the stabil core is 450/520

Regard

Try it with your own risk
(I hadn't picturize of my project,yet. but latter i'll attached it if i got one)

TFV

...hmm, Mike has flash the bios from batteryone...The problem is that I have Samsung memory(on the GV-R955128D) - K4D261638F-TC40 - 4.0 ns(but not Hynix)! :( So far, everyone had for GV-R955128D Hynix and not Samsung!

There is any chance for me to use...."For example, if you have Samsung 4.0/5.0 you could use the Powercolor 9600 Pro 128 MB Bios dated 2003-08-23 11:56", becouse I don't think that batteryone's bios will work for me!!!....

Still many people complain that ....They could not do the soft mod!(Some of you think that the Gigabyte'9550 are locked)...

So why lots of peoples think that using only Atitool for OC(with..remove clock lock) will not work!!!

I did not try anythink so far, but I want to know what it will be the best solution(especially because there were problems with softmod with Radeon GV-R955128D)!!!! :confused:

10x,

nyioo7@hotmail.com

hi guys i have a question. if i flash the bios of my 9550 card to 9600 series it will void the warranty right. but what if i flash it back to orginal bios , than does the warranty still void or will they notice if i return it .?

nyioo7@hotmail.com

i have msi 9550 128 mb and flashed it to powercolor 9600 pro @ 400 / 250 and it was working fine. but one day i was testing ati settings to set the best setting for my games, after 6 or 7 time i opened and closed the games the whole screen just crashed and every thing just stopped. i thought i have destroyed my card because it happened once with my 9200 card which is now broken and unuseable. so i reboot it by pressing reset button and flash it back to original bios and it is working fine now.

so any idea what happened ?

is it because of i closed the side panel of the case? cuz i had it open before .

oh also i put the fan myself and it is working at 3600 rpm . do i need a faster one?

AMD Athlon XP 3200+
MSI K7N2 Delta2-LSR
1 GB kingston 3200 dual
MSI ATI Radeon 9550 128 mb 250/203
Maxtor SATA 80 GB

TFV

Flash your card or just use Omega drivers

Hi,

After I read all the posts, i've decide that it will be better just to use Omega drivers!
I bought a fan and memory heatsinks(10$), I have install the new drivers and I changed the clocks(GV-R955128D) from (250/400) to 400/460!:)

It's working very fine!!!! The card is oc all the time, not just couples seconds(becouse of the Omega drivers)

Best regards,
TFV

U

Unregistered

I have the Sapphire 9550 256Mb. The fan is loud, like a small leafblower. Anyone with this card know of a workable vga fan or cooler to replace this loud fan?

Thanks,
J.

C

Caveman

I have a Gigabyte 9550 SE (I didnt do my homework...)

I am thinking of flashing the ASUS 9600 SE (64-bit bus) onto the card. The big question I have is:

Is the 9600 SE clock UNlocked? Will it work, is another good question, i guess we'll find out.

C

Caveman

It worked, 325 x 200, I didnt recognize it as a 9600 SE in the device manager though...

I did not reinstall the Cat 5.4's, mabe if I did, it would... dont really care to though.

ATI tool insists that it is still clock locked...

E

eS^

Hello, i have been reading up alot on the 9550's performance and stubbled accross this site.
i currently run a gf2 64, which i oc'd.
yet, i purchased the Abit Radeon 9550 256DDR 128BIT for my new AMD64 3200+ on an Asus K8V yet i was missin that extra bit for the 9600 xD
on reading the user manual of my card, i found it has the same features as the R9600 XT from Abit.
could you please verify this for me? im not an experienced flasher and dont own a PCI card that would save my butt... lol
thanks

E

eS^

Ignore what i first said.... lol :D (wont let me edit)

Hello, i have been reading up alot on the 9550's performance and stubbled accross this site.
i currently run a gf2 64, which i oc'd.
yet, i purchased the Abit Radeon 9550 256DDR 128BIT (R9550-256CDT) ...
VPU CORE CLOCK: 250MHz
MEMORY SIZE: 128MB
MEMORY FREQUENCY: 400MHz
MEMORY INTERFACE: 128 Bit
MEMORY PACKAGE: TSOP
MEMORY TYPE: 8×16 DDR
MEMORY SPEED: 4ns
RENDERING PIPELINES: 4
CONNECTORS: VGA, TV-Out, DVI

.... for my new AMD64 3200+ on an Asus K8V yet i was missin that extra bit for the 9600 xD
on reading the user manual of my card, i found it has the same features as the R9600 XT from Abit.
could you please verify this for me? im not an experienced flasher and dont own a PCI card that would save my butt... lol
lots of posts mention the impossibility of doing a 9550 to 9600 XT flash, if this is true, please indicate which flash i should perform for best performance.
thanks

U

Unregistered

UPDATE on Gigabyte GVR955128D

Florin said:
Mike, I have a Gigabyte GV-R955128D 9550 too!

I have 2 questions:
1. Did you use some special glue(I'm thinking at the heat(so it will not melt)...and if something will be wrong with the card - warranty) or it's not important ?

2. Did you use some heatsink for the memory or it was not necessary!

Best regards,
Florin

I have 2 GV cards with different BIOS version. the F1 (older buy date) and the F20 (newest).

With F1 I can flashed it with non-pro 9600 or moded 9550 bios using atiflash or flashrom (no bios lock)

But, the new F20 I found the same error described on the thread (bios lock). I can't mod the bios or flash the 9600 bios to it even using gigabyte flash utility (GVF14), so I installed softmod driver and OC it with atitool.

For the Q:
1. I'm using superglue (qiuckly bond/bonds in second). Apply just on the corner of the fan then quickly stick it to the heatsink, don't over apply incase you need to remove the fan for warranty service. It hold just fine.
2. No memory heatsink, but i recommend.

Regards,
Rudy

J

janek222

His 9550

sorry for trouble, but I have only one question.
is there any posibility that bios from saphire card (9600 pro) will works on may HIS (9550)?
the only problem i've seen is the memory type (saphire - samsung, HIS - hynix), 400/250 i have already but I would like to use original drivers.
there is also another problem. when i've installed SuSE 9.3 pro, system recognize my HIS 9550 card, but i couldn't use 3d acceleration. it seem's that ati graphics drivers even in linux can check that card is moded. I don't know for sure, but when mandrive will ends downloading i'll check this.
so if anyone knows something about my primary question please help me :)

P.S. sorry for my english, i don't practise to offen :/

J

janek222

His 9550

and there is another one.
i read somwhere, that 9550 to 9600xt mod is possible to make. system sees it like 9600xt but it works as 9600 pro. what do you think about that?
i.ve look out, and it's hard to find a good bios on hynix. if its true and ati original drivers don't see any problems with that, i find out gecube bios on hynix 4.0.
now i work at 432/250. its need to be 500/250 but i think that its possible to make ;)
working with ati original driver its all about for me (of course with good core/mem)

P.S. sorry for the standard and "being everywhere" question (post above), but i read also, that type of mem (5.0, 4.0 etc.) is important, not manufacturer. i could just try out, but i dont have a PCI card, so crash may be painfull ;)

PLEASE, HELP

J

janek222

His 9550

first of all, i solved almost all problems.
for some reason (and i realy don't know how it could happend) when i look at my card i saw SAMSUNG TC50 mem - strange, beacuse i was convinced that i have hynix.
second - i found a good bios form me (only problem was that is for samsung 4.0 but i tried out that and all works fine :] ) 400/230 and 1454 - 3DMark 05 score is fair enough for me :) (i do a little mod to timings pernament in bios - but this isn't a problem for ATI original drivers)
I know that I can mod harder this card (works fine at 432/250) - but on Omega drivers...
and the last one. I still can't use a 3D acceleration in SuSE, but it seems to be a system problem (like I said, I check this when Mandrive finished up)

I hope that info can help somebody else....
CYA

TFV

Low max. frequency for memory?!?!?!

I have a GV-R955128D(Gigabyte)...with Samsung 4ns memory(strange...usualy this type of video card has hynix memory).

Anyway....with Atitool, My max. frequency were 410 for core and 243 Mhz for memory...!!! i don't know ...but for a 4ns. memory my expectations were higher than that(i used heatsinks for memory too...that is true that the heatsinks are square..not rectangular...like my memory chips(..and they don't cover the entire surface of the mem))... :(

In the same time at 243 Mhz i touched the heatsinks. They were ...warm..but for sure not hot!..So i don't understant...why only 243(i oc the gigabyte video card at 400/230)!

What i want to ask is if there is any relation(regarding oc) between Vcore and memory frquency!
What i want to say is that ...first step....i used Atitool for finding max. Vcore...and after that..i have reset vcore to default
...second step...i did the same to find mem frequency!

There is any chance ....if I set Vcore to max...Can Atitool to give me a better result regarding mem frequency(more than 243Mhz)

any opinion or advice is appreciate! :)

thank you,
Florin

J

Joeleong

PowerColor 9550

Need help newbie here.

I can manage to OC my powercolor 9550 128mb to 450/240. But if I flash to 9600pro can I get better performance?

If can pump up the performance with 9600pro Bios, which Bios to use to flash my Powercolor 9550 128mb Samsung 5.0ns memory?

THX

V

VEGETTO

can't mod msi RX9550-TD256

Hello, i would like to mod my RX9550-TD256 to an 9600 series but i haven't been able to do it because whenever i upgrade with a different bios, i'll get a lot of artifacts even running MS-dos, so do you know what bios this video card could work with, i'm getting tired of trying a lot of vios with no results and also i'm regreting changing my 3year old GF4 ti 4400 for this ATI.

Thanks for your time, greetings form Colombia, south america

V

VEGETTO

Specs of my card

MSI RX9550-TD256
256mb samsung 5.0ns
i've been able to overclocked to 450mhz core/225mhz memory
thanks for your time again

devils

I have Sapphire Radeon 9550 128-bit with 256MB memory from Hynix 5.0ns.
I can OC to 445/220x2 but I can 9600. Which BIOS is the best for me? I find it on this page, but I didn't find it.
I read that I can 9800 from it. It is true?
Please, you help me.

Sorry, but my english is not good.
I come from Slovakia.

Processor Intel I7 2600k@ 4.5
Motherboard Gigabyte p67 ud4 b3
Cooling AC Cuplex kryos Hf
Memory 8096 Exceleram 1600@ 1333 Cl9 1.35v
Video Card(s) Palit Gtx570@950/1900@1.063v
Storage Ocz Vertex 3 120gb, 2tb Seagate 7200rpm s-ata3
Display(s) Asus 24inch Lcd
Case Coolermaster Cosmos S
Audio Device(s) Creative X-fi with Teufel Magnum Power Edition
Power Supply Coolermaster 700W Silent Pro Gold
Software Linux?^^ ;P Windows 7 64bit
:D np hm u can probalby use any bios with 4 pixepipelines and the speeds you reach but i think take an 96 bios

U

Unregistered

All worked perfectly

i flashed the BIOS of my connect3d 256mb 9550 to the gecube 256mb 9600 pro, and it all works perfectly - HL2 now has high framerates on high graphics settings (but no AA or AF)

U

Unregistered

I have a Powercolor 9550 256MB Samsung Memory 128Bit
I tried using the bootable cd to flash my vid card to the powercolor 9600Pro 256MB Samsung Bios
The error i get is that the bios is locked, how do i unlock the bios to flash the new bios.

Thanks