• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

E8700 with 3.5 GHz under way.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Yes, I have a screenshot of earlier in the year when it was listed in the Intel S-SPEC finder, so it's a real cpu, for sure, but not available in retail currently, and only direct from Intel. So they definately have a bin for this chip.

But like I said, they can name a cpu whatever they want. Many E8500/E8600 are capable of those speeds. It's no big deal.

Given that the pic showed up from someone ordering a tray of XE chips, it was a freebee thrown in.

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/16294

http://www.techpowerup.com/83135/Intel_Launches_Core_2_Duo_E8700.html

First showed up on intel site in January, so no, this was not April fools joke as many mention.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
Weeeeeee I was right :D

Yes, I have a screenshot of earlier in the year when it was listed in the Intel S-SPEC finder, so it's a real cpu, for sure, but not available in retail currently, and only direct from Intel. So they definately have a bin for this chip.

But like I said, they can name a cpu whatever they want. Many E8500/E8600 are capable of those speeds. It's no big deal.

Given that the pic showed up from someone ordering a tray of XE chips, it was a freebee thrown in.

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/16294

http://www.techpowerup.com/83135/Intel_Launches_Core_2_Duo_E8700.html

First showed up on intel site in January, so no, this was not April fools joke as many mention.

Interesting info. I didn't know about the ES and editing! I did check my E8700 with CPU-z, PCWizzard, Speedfan, RealTemp, CoreTemp, etc. It shows up in everything as the real retail CPU would. It performs at stock just like my E8600 except it is noticibly faster and uses less voltage. It runs cool and 4.0GHz running Call of Pripyat barely reaches 45C.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Interesting info. I didn't know about the ES and editing! I did check my E8700 with CPU-z, PCWizzard, Speedfan, RealTemp, CoreTemp, etc. It shows up in everything as the real retail CPU would. It performs at stock just like my E8600 except it is noticibly faster and uses less voltage. It runs cool and 4.0GHz running Call of Pripyat barely reaches 45C.

I'm not saying it's not real, quite the contrary. But like any cpu, it's programmed at Intel during the binning process, and for all we know, there may be hundreds, or less than 10, that meet these specs. Given that the listing for E87 was pulled from the Intel ARK site, it's safe to say the developed the bin, but found few would make the cut, and hence no public release. E87 would have sold hundreds or 1000's of chips, if that many made the cut.

Back in Jan/Feb this year, Francois(who works for Intel, Senior Performance Analyst) said he hand-programmed the 1366 975XE chip seen in previews to be used for qualification purposes. He even said it was just a 920 D0 chip(although a nice one), with new ID, and hence what I considered unimpresive clocks. My comments as to how i was unimpressed led to my banning from the Intel section of XS, and subsequently I asked to be banned from the entire forum.

No permaban, I will not allow you to martyr yourself.

Yet, a couple of posts later:

I removed Cadaveca from this section.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3633088&postcount=200

Maybe my comments back then were inappropriate, but to me, so was showing a fake chip as the real thing.

E8700 comes from the same silicon as E84/E85/E86...even E86 is hard to find, and has been this way for months...locally less than 10 E86 chips were ever available.

If you have one, consider youself lucky...very few people do, just like few people have AMD's TWKR chips.

Hence everyone interested in E87, as it is more than likely a better chip than E86

I was just stating the facts as I had to pinch myself when I found the Chip. I've had every Wolfdale from the E8400 up. I had almost given up on ever seeing an 8700. I will also state that each E8000 CPU that I've owned was a definite improvement over its previous iteration. I'm sorry you got banned, but you know how tempermental we blue team geeks can be about our CPU's lol. Thank you for the info, and I do consider myself very lucky to get this chip. I only won it by $1.99!:D

Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Yeah, I had given up on E8700 in about august, as we had first seen it in January. I thought maybe they needed a few months to stockpile these chips, but then saw that i7 was selling so well that they really didn't have any need for E8700 on the market, especially when 1156 was here.

Cool you got one...that would be a chip I'd just keep to collect, myself. My point was, if Intel wanted fullscale E8700 release, they merely need to properly name the chips, box 'em up, and send 'em out. To me, the chip you got was a simple cash grab by a Intel employee. The recent posting on XS was merely "cover" for this person's actions, making some bucks before christmas. He got some cash, you got a "limited-edition" chip...everyone wins. An unlocked multi would have been nicer though, methinks. :p

And getting banned is no sweat off my back...I wasn't the one showing a i920 D0 as i975, and also claiming in the same thread that i940 C0 was just as good of a chip.:laugh:

Would probably go realy nice with my BlackOps...;)

Well the winner of Fearlessleaders E8700 backed out of claiming the CPU. As of today the E8700 will be going under water on his rig for some low voltage overclocking trials. Anyone interested in results or that has input can follow the thread at Overclock.net :toast:

Update: Fearless has started a build, test, and overclock thread featuring a Gigabyte EP45 and a Kool Lance watercooling rig. It appears that the E8700 is due to get its baptism real soon! You can follow at Overclock.net under Intel General build Logs. :toast: