• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New Asrock mobo fails to post

Thrall

Hello, I just got done setting up my new i5 rebuild with an Asrock p55 pro and 2 x 2gb of ddr3 1866 ram. I was able to get it to the windows install screen, but the installation stopped with 34 min left and locked up. After a restart, clear of cmos, and even a complete power down in order to make sure that all the cables were secure I couldn't and still can't seem to get the board to post. I'm looking at the post numbers on the board's screen and it is stuck on 78 (which, according to Asrock's manual, is the Initializes IPL devices controlled by BIOS and option ROMs stage). In the FAQ for the board there is a similar question that asks: During the POST, there is a number "0075" or "0078" showed at the right corner of the screen, and the system stop for a long time--what can I do? With an answer of: The problem may be caused by incorrect jumper settings or bad cables of your IDE or SATA devices. Please refer to following steps to check your system. The thing is I'm seeing 78 on the board's built in screen and not my monitor and the board never does shut down - it just seems to hang forever. Could a bad sata cable cause a mobo not to post? It seems like the board should at least let me get to the bios. Thanks for your help!

Thrall

I just went through unplugging all of the data cables from my 2 optical drives, 1 HD, and 1 floppy drive and i'm still getting the same error code and lack of POST.

audiotranceable

System Name Asus G60vx
Processor Intel P7450 @ 2.666 MHz (setfsb)
Motherboard Intel PM45 Rev 07 + ICH9-M Rev 03
Cooling Stock
Memory Hyundai DDR2 800 @ 1000mhz
Video Card(s) Nvidia GTX260 1024MB 256-bit
Storage 250GB SATA 2 (5400rpm) *time to upgrade*
Display(s) 1366x768 @ 90hz
Case Stock
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD
Power Supply Stock
Software Windows 7 SP1 64-bit
Hello, I just got done setting up my new i5 rebuild with an Asrock p55 pro and 2 x 2gb of ddr3 1866 ram. I was able to get it to the windows install screen, but the installation stopped with 34 min left and locked up. After a restart, clear of cmos, and even a complete power down in order to make sure that all the cables were secure I couldn't and still can't seem to get the board to post. I'm looking at the post numbers on the board's screen and it is stuck on 78 (which, according to Asrock's manual, is the Initializes IPL devices controlled by BIOS and option ROMs stage). In the FAQ for the board there is a similar question that asks: During the POST, there is a number "0075" or "0078" showed at the right corner of the screen, and the system stop for a long time--what can I do? With an answer of: The problem may be caused by incorrect jumper settings or bad cables of your IDE or SATA devices. Please refer to following steps to check your system. The thing is I'm seeing 78 on the board's built in screen and not my monitor and the board never does shut down - it just seems to hang forever. Could a bad sata cable cause a mobo not to post? It seems like the board should at least let me get to the bios. Thanks for your help!

nvm read your second post. Hmm check anywhere on the Manual to see if any jumpers around the motherboard are set correct and see if any of them are set weird

Thrall

There are only 2 jumpers on the mothboard--clear cmos and a jumper that enables or disables usb/ps2 wakeup. Is it possible the south bridge on the board just up and died?

Last edited:

audiotranceable

System Name Asus G60vx
Processor Intel P7450 @ 2.666 MHz (setfsb)
Motherboard Intel PM45 Rev 07 + ICH9-M Rev 03
Cooling Stock
Memory Hyundai DDR2 800 @ 1000mhz
Video Card(s) Nvidia GTX260 1024MB 256-bit
Storage 250GB SATA 2 (5400rpm) *time to upgrade*
Display(s) 1366x768 @ 90hz
Case Stock
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD
Power Supply Stock
Software Windows 7 SP1 64-bit
There are only 2 jumpers on the mothboard--clear cmon and a jumper that enables or disables usb/ps2 wakeup. Is it possible the south bridge on the board just up and died?

hmm This mite be dumb beause you mite of said it during the first post but have you reset the BIOS.

System Name The Lizard v2.4
Processor Intel Celeron G1840 (for the time being
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H81-S2PH
Cooling Intel Stock Fan
Memory 16GB Kingston HyperX 1600
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming GTX 750Ti (For the time being)
Storage 500GB Samsung F1, 160GB Maxtor "Older than god"
Display(s) AOC 28' LCD
Case Coolermaster N200
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Antec VP500P
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores No crashes in the last 24 minutes.
if that what the codes says, my bet is that it has a bad bios chip. if its removeable, rma the chip, if not rma the whole board.

Thrall

OK, I just contacted Asrock to see what their input is on m problem--but if it is just the bios chip that would be amazing because I really don't want to put my scratched up hands into the system to tear that mobo out.

System Name Sample light
Processor AMD Phenom II 965
Motherboard MSI DKA790GX
Cooling Zalman 9500LED
Memory 2x 2GB G-skill PC8500
Video Card(s) Asus built AMD/ATI HD4850
Storage 500GB Wesern Digital green
Display(s) too ashamed to tell, but its an acer
Case Lian Li V2000
Audio Device(s) Echo Audiofire 2
Power Supply Corsair VX550
Software Windows XP pro SP3