• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dell service... lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
System Name Main Rig
Processor Athlon 5350
Motherboard AsRock mITX
Memory 4gb
Storage 120gb Kingston HyperX SSD
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster 740N
Power Supply Corsair 430 watt
Keep in mind that there are big differences between the consumer side and the business side of Dell. The company I work for resells lot of Optiplex machines--very, very easy to get the stats on those machines. The consumer side machines are not indended to be expanded and that side of the company does not have that kind of info available to them as a result.

System Name Homelabs
Processor Ryzen 5900x | Ryzen 1920X
Motherboard Asus ProArt x570 Creator | AsRock X399 fatal1ty gaming
Cooling Silent Loop 2 280mm | Dark Rock Pro TR4
Memory 128GB (4x32gb) DDR4 3600Mhz | 128GB (8x16GB) DDR4 2933Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 | ASUS Strix GTX 970
Storage Optane 900p + NVMe | Optane 900p + 8TB SATA SSDs + 48TB HDDs
Display(s) Alienware AW3423dw QD-OLED | HP Omen 32 1440p
Case be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 | be quiet! Silent Base 800
Power Supply Corsair RM750x + sleeved cables| EVGA P2 750W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate (still has buttons on the right side, crucial as I'm a southpaw)
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite, Pro Type | Logitech G915 TKL
Okay, but in all honesty, who, knowing about rails and amps in a PSU, would buy a Dell computer?

You see, I did not know how bad there PSUs are... if they are ok, it would be recomforting

Rey17

System Name Dell Inspiron 1525 (Laptop)
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo T6400 @ 2.00GHZ
Memory 2GB
Video Card(s) Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family
Storage 250GB
Display(s) 15.4" LCD
Case Dell Inspiron
Software Windows Vista Home Premium, SP1
To be fair even the guys at best buy know what PSU stands for... I don't think he was degrading her. To do your job well you must know the merchandise... even a used car salesman knows a lot about the junk he is selling you and that is the point, to talk the product up and make a sell. I understand his frustration simply by looking at the time line in the convo. All she had to do was give him a number or a transfer to someone who could tell him the specs if they were serious about the sale... instead of dead lining him!:nutkick:

Yes, i agree that people are meant to know the products they are selling. But coming back to the car salesman example, i bet you the car salesman wouldnt know what company the tyres where made from (until he looked at the tyres right infront of you), how old they were, how many kilometers they have run, how much life they have left etc.
asking a tiny question about an abbreviation such as PSU doesnt make it something your supposed to know. :rolleyes:

Rey17

Memory 2GB
Storage 250GB
Display(s) 15.4" LCD
Case Dell Inspiron
Okay, but in all honesty, who, knowing about rails and amps in a PSU, would buy a Dell computer?

nuff' said.

System Name Homelabs
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate (still has buttons on the right side, crucial as I'm a southpaw)
Why would it matter? The system works fine as it is, the questions you asked were all about "look at me, I know stuff". If it wasn't about that you wouldn't say things like "I'm guessing you have no idea" 25 seconds after asking your genius question.

yea ok that was rude too ::slap:

but why I wanted to know is because, like many people who only buy prebuilts, this has to LAST long, which would not happen if it were bad... and also if a low profile card could be put in the system if needed

System Name Fractality 1.0
Processor Intel Core i7-860 @ 3.6GHz
Motherboard EVGA P55 SLI
Cooling Prolimatech Megahalems and four Fractal Design 120mm fans, sleeved
Memory 16GB Kingston Hyper RAM
Video Card(s) PNY GeForce 580 XLR8
Storage 64GB and 180GB SSDs / 1TB and 2TB HDDs
Display(s) 24" Acer V243W
Case Fractal Design Define R2, sleeved all I/O cables
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX750W modular, sadly only stock sleeving
Software Win 7 64bit
I would recommend them if someone in my family would prefer a prebuilt over myself building one for them.

Maybe where you live there aren't better alternatives? Here we have quite a range of prebuilt system assemblers/manufacturers... uh whatever you call them. And unlike Dell they use hardware which one can buy in a store, not proprietary shit like a mobo with missing DDR slots, so you're forced to buy a newer Dell computer system when you need more RAM.

Rey17

Memory 2GB
Storage 250GB
Display(s) 15.4" LCD
Case Dell Inspiron
Dell is one of the many companies that are recognized all over the world for being trustable and reliable (some might disagree). These products do last long, 4-5 years is long. Ive got a old Dell inspiron laptop, while being 6 years old, still works like a charm (not that i use it, but it works if i ever need to lend it to a guest).
and since you know about computers a fair amount, then if something DID go wrong, and wasnt covered in warranty, you Couldve just replaced it with a power supply you where familiar with. Simple. Always think of the long and short term rather than 1 or the other.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
yea ok that was rude too ::slap:

but why I wanted to know is because, like many people who only buy prebuilts, this has to LAST long, which would not happen if it were bad... and also if a low profile card could be put in the system

Dell systems (or any prebuild for that matter) will last at least as long as anything you can build. Probably longer because the owners won't mess with it.

Maybe where you live there aren't better alternatives? Here we have quite a range of prebuilt system assemblers/manufacturers... uh whatever you call them. And unlike Dell they use hardware which one can buy in a store, not proprietary shit like a mobo with missing DDR slots, so you're forced to buy a newer Dell computer system when you need more RAM.

YOu know RAM can be replaced right?

JrRacinFan

Served 5k and counting ...
System Name Dual Build Streamer
Processor Ryzen 7900x3d : Ryzen 4600G
Motherboard AsRock B650E Steel Legend : Giga B450i Aorus
Cooling Custom Water 1x420 : Stock
Memory 32GB T-Force Deltas : 16GB Dominator Platinums
Video Card(s) PowerColor 7900 XTX Liquid Devil: iGPU
Storage 20+ TB
Display(s) Sammy 49" 5k Ultrawide
Case Custom White Painted Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2
Audio Device(s) Onboard : Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1200W P2
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite White
Keyboard Hyperx Origins 65
Software Windows 10
MCRL We are going to have to take our conversation to PM's cause its going off-topic from what the whole conversation is about. Personal preference versus information readily available to a company to give to a consumer.

System Name Main Rig
Processor Athlon 5350
Motherboard AsRock mITX
Memory 4gb
Yeah, there's an important lesson here...there's no reason to bash a company or its products just because they don't build something that you are interested in. For the average person looking to buy a computer, they make a fine, reliable product that satisfies. It doesn't satisfy you, but it satisfies. There's no reason to bash them because seeming lack of product information or because their power supplies seem small or weak--they do the job that they were intended to do. If they didn't, Dell would have gone belly up years ago.

System Name Homelabs
Dell systems (or any prebuild for that matter) will last at least as long as anything you can build.

I HAVE to disagree.... what can be built usually lasts longer... because of quality. I am sure that putting a corsair 400cx in there wwould make it live longer

System Name Fractality 1.0
Processor Intel Core i7-860 @ 3.6GHz
Motherboard EVGA P55 SLI
Cooling Prolimatech Megahalems and four Fractal Design 120mm fans, sleeved
Memory 16GB Kingston Hyper RAM
Video Card(s) PNY GeForce 580 XLR8
Storage 64GB and 180GB SSDs / 1TB and 2TB HDDs
Display(s) 24" Acer V243W
Case Fractal Design Define R2, sleeved all I/O cables
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX750W modular, sadly only stock sleeving
Software Win 7 64bit
YOu know RAM can be replaced right?

It can? :eek:
Of course I know, but I have seen mobos with only one RAM slot where there actually were solder points for all four. But just one plastic thingie has been placed onto the board. You're quite limited there.

Also agreed with JR, derailing such a thread is fairly easy.

Rey17

Memory 2GB
Storage 250GB
Display(s) 15.4" LCD
Case Dell Inspiron
I HAVE to disagree.... what can be built usually lasts longer... because of quality. I am sure that putting a corsair 400cx in there wwould make it live longer

Not Always. Computer Builders are usually the people who like computers and technology alike, and like to experiment with building a custom made computer which is set to their own standards with their own choices. Obviously these guys WILL choose the reliable parts. But comparing it to a average person who really doesnt care about the in-depth details about a computer, but just wants a "Fast, Reliable and Satisfying" Computer which gets the job done. Be it may for Office work, Word processing with the occasional movie watching.
These two computers WILL last the same amount of time, IF they are used for what they are built for.

System Name Main Rig
Processor Athlon 5350
Motherboard AsRock mITX
Memory 4gb

You've done it again...you've made an assumption. What do you know about the quality of Dell power supplies? Do you know for sure that they don't contract Corsair to build them? Did you know that Corsair just rebrands Seasonic power supplies? Does that make less reliable? I think there's a lot of spin at work on your thinking process, whether you know it or not.

Care to give us some facts? Happen to have some actual numbers on PSU failure in prebuilt systems vs user built? Having to disagree and being sure means little, because I know this guy who knows this girl who has on aunt who works with disabled people, one of them happens to be a savant in a wheelchair who hardly communicates but can tell you pi up to 50.000 digits and says prebuilt systems don't fail more often than user built system because of the PSU.
I consider vague relations as reliable as any random guy on the internet when there are no facts present.

Processor W3520 Xeon
Motherboard Asus Sabertooth X58
Cooling Cool it Vantage
Memory 6gb Dominators
Video Card(s) GTX 460
Storage 60Gb Vertex II 500Gb storage
Display(s) LG 42LH40 42" 1080P
Case 932 HAF
Audio Device(s) Voices in my head
Power Supply Raidmax730/
Software Win7Pro64
Benchmark Scores Pretty High one's. but it's not a contest/ I just read them for the articles.
Well, the only part which shouldn't be there is where you said "the bing box looking thing.... etc"
By saying that, your implying that she is dumb enough not to know what a power supply is. Some people aren't very technical with shortened words like PSU, GPU, CPU etc etc. (i never knew what a GPU stood for, until i checked google myself)
So, in my humble opinion, that was a stupid comment which shouldn't have been made in the first place. a "Power Supply Unit" would've been MORE than perfect , rather than degrading her intelligence.

Yes, i agree that people are meant to know the products they are selling. But coming back to the car salesman example, i bet you the car salesman wouldnt know what company the tyres where made from (until he looked at the tyres right infront of you), how old they were, how many kilometers they have run, how much life they have left etc.
asking a tiny question about an abbreviation such as PSU doesnt make it something your supposed to know. :rolleyes:

I don't expect them to know the brand of spark plugs running the car... but a basic system setup knowledge is expected especially on order to make models... I don't knock dell they have some good pc's, especially for those with limited budgets. I also think and practice the fact that better results from tech support directly corresponds with consumer patience and understanding... that gentleman was semi rude. But, the "help desk" goes through specific training because mad customers is always a factor. That is why I am one of the few people I know that enjoys tech support from India... They like their jobs and want to keep them so they go above and beyond to help you. It's amazing how friendly they are due to the pure fact that they can't draw unemployment after they get fired for customer relations. Your points are valid and I agree. But everyone has a bad day especially when they only have enough money to buy a dell. JP:toast:

System Name THE MAD BEAST!!!
Processor Tinfoil rapper with some coathangers
Motherboard Graham cracker with with frosting
Cooling A shovel full of snow
Memory Grey matter out of a corpse
Video Card(s) Cat eyes
Storage A whales brain
Display(s) Cyclops eyeball
Case Inside a yetis hollowed out corpse
Audio Device(s) howling banchee
Power Supply 32 hamster on a massive wheel
Software WHo needs software when you have a box of kittens
Benchmark Scores IS gatrillions a number?
i loled. good stuff man, if im selling something i better dam well know what im selling or else what the hell am i doing! stupid people

Clement

System Name Work Horse
Processor E5200@3.000@1.2 (12.5x240) (Limited by mobo mem volts) ::[Evil Glare]-I'm gonna mod you!::
Motherboard 4COREDUAL-SATA2 R2
Cooling AC Freezer Pro 7; AC Accelero S1 <-These two are bad ass!
Memory (2gb G.Skill F2-8500-CL5D-2GBPK) @ 1.9v/320MHz/3:4/4-4-4-10-16-2T
Video Card(s) X1950GT 621/729 (Will do more)
Storage Seagate 320; 2x1TB WD
Display(s) ViewSonic 19" Widescreen
Case Black, Sturdy.
Audio Device(s) Onboard DAC works great.
Power Supply Enermax EG365P-VE
Software Fedora x64; WinXP32
Benchmark Scores Once, I programmed for a little over 22.5 hours straight.
Well, a friend told me he wanted to buy a pre-made at Best Buy... I told him I could do one for him at a much lower cost with better parts etc... but he was very firm about buying pre-made.. I suggest he buy then from Dell or HP or something like that... online. What he told me? He would only consider dell as an alternative... I myself hate dell compsbut anyways..

Dutyfully I searched for what best fits his needs... And I wanted to know about the quality of the PSU just for the heck of it... here's the convo:

http://img.techpowerup.org/100219/Sans titre2.jpg

As a general rule, their power supplies are very close to the minimum required for that system (usually a tiny bit over). They are in the business of making money, not saving you money.

yea but she could have transfered me there or something :p but not knowing what a PSU is when working for a computer company? then she abandonned me... I would have prefered a "idk" or a "please contact ___ support for this question" or something...

she left me waiting for 15 minutes then just left

Honestly, you asked for this...read what you wrote to her. If you would have stopped at just saying "Power supply", it may have turned out better.

Being a support rep she probably has a good idea when someone is just trying to insult her, and even if you weren't trying to, it sure looks like you were.

Although, a sale agent is to have that kind of knowledge about the product(s) they are selling.

Whomever hired her didn't think so... (I'm not disagreeing with you)

i loled. good stuff man, if im selling something i better dam well know what im selling or else what the hell am i doing! stupid people

Sadly, Salesman/Saleswoman don't get hired based on their knowledge of the product inside and out. First and foremost they need to know how to sell, anything else is a bonus.

Take for example when the woman said "you can have a look at the specs".

That's her way out of knowing things right there. I bet she saves that line for any technical question.

I think the reason she didn't pass you onto a tech rep is because:
A) You were rude
B) She hadn't determined that she lost the sale yet
C) She punished you for being rude :laugh:

Don't get me wrong, I don't like the way things are, but I can't change them either.

If you weren't so rude, this would have been a huge LOL for everyone. Its only a small LOL for a small percentage of those who don't know how to put themselves in the other person's shoes.:shadedshu

Last edited:

Rey17

Memory 2GB
Storage 250GB
Display(s) 15.4" LCD
Case Dell Inspiron
I don't expect them to know the brand of spark plugs running the car... but a basic system setup knowledge is expected especially on order to make models... I don't knock dell they have some good pc's, especially for those with limited budgets. I also think and practice the fact that better results from tech support directly corresponds with consumer patience and understanding... that gentleman was semi rude. But, the "help desk" goes through specific training because mad customers is always a factor. That is why I am one of the few people I know that enjoys tech support from India... They like their jobs and want to keep them so they go above and beyond to help you. It's amazing how friendly they are due to the pure fact that they can't draw unemployment after they get fired for customer relations. Your points are valid and I agree. But everyone has a bad day especially when they only have enough money to buy a dell. JP:toast:

Agreed. But my main point was that a person shouldn't act rudely if someone asks them a little question. Asking what a PSU is, is beyond little. And having an excuse that "I wasn't thinking while i was typing that" isnt a fair call either on the helpdesk representative. Its like when a person, who doesnt know good english, asks you what that term or word mean, obviously you'll reply politely thinking that, since he doesnt know good english, im not going to go hard on him because its not his fault.
If he had just said, Power Supply Unit. Then i bet you she wouldve reacted differently to the whole "bing box" comment.

System Name Homelabs
as I said, I've already worked at a helpdesk/sales rep.. believe me, though I was rude, I would prefer someone being rude like I was rather than what I usually get during the day. ofc, It probably isn't half as bad at Dell then where I worked, but I am probably not the worst she had

as a sells rep, you should know how to react to this type of situation... and her goal is to get a sale, so unless it gets truely out of hand, and you see you might get a sale, you do not abandon the client.

this is all IMO

Last edited:

Clement

System Name Work Horse
Processor E5200@3.000@1.2 (12.5x240) (Limited by mobo mem volts) ::[Evil Glare]-I'm gonna mod you!::
Case Black, Sturdy.
as I said, I've already worked at a helpdesk/sales rep.. believe me, though I was rude, I would prefer someone being rude like I was rather than what I usually get during the day. ofc, It probably isn't half as bad at Dell then where I worked, but I am probably not the worst she had

as a sells rep, you should know how to react to this type of situation... and her goal is to get a sale, so unless it gets truely out of hand, and you see you might get a sale, you do not abandon the client.

this is all IMO

Very good points.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!

So you think you can be rude because everyone else is, or am I readin your post wrong? That's a stupid way on seeing things. She shouldn't have just walk out on you like that, but that happened AFTER you were rude.

System Name Is rly gud
Processor Intel Core i5 11600kf
Motherboard Asus Prime Z590-V ATX
Memory (48GB total) 16GB (2x8GB) Crucial Ballistix Sport 3000MHZ and G. Skill Ripjaws 32GB 3200MHZ (2x16GB)
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3060 12GB
Storage 1TB MSI Spatium M370 NVMe M.2 SSD
Display(s) 32" Viewsonic 4k, 34" Samsung 3440x1440, XP Pen Creative Pro 13.3
Power Supply EVGA 600 80+ Gold
VR HMD Meta Quest Pro, Tundra Trackers
Software Windows 10

We change several parts several times a year, which would give the illusion of lasting longer. We also overclock, which doesn't exactly put an ease on the PSU and whatever you're overclocking. OEMs don't let you overclock.

The only deaths in most OEMs I've ever seen were hard drive failures and PSUs after about 5-6 years, far passing the safe point for any unit.

Edit: What the heck is a bing box?

Clement

System Name Work Horse
Case Black, Sturdy.
So you think you can be rude because everyone else is, or am I readin your post wrong? That's a stupid way on seeing things. She shouldn't have just walk out on you like that, but that happened AFTER you were rude.

What he said was only slightly rude, and it was only how he said it. If you can't handle the truth about yourself that's a personal problem. She shouldn't have abandoned the possible sale, there was no justification for that.

Honestly, if I were her supervisor, I would have told her to quit being such a damn sissy.

System Name Is rly gud
Processor Intel Core i5 11600kf
Motherboard Asus Prime Z590-V ATX
Memory (48GB total) 16GB (2x8GB) Crucial Ballistix Sport 3000MHZ and G. Skill Ripjaws 32GB 3200MHZ (2x16GB)
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3060 12GB
Storage 1TB MSI Spatium M370 NVMe M.2 SSD
Display(s) 32" Viewsonic 4k, 34" Samsung 3440x1440, XP Pen Creative Pro 13.3
Power Supply EVGA 600 80+ Gold
VR HMD Meta Quest Pro, Tundra Trackers
Software Windows 10
What he said was only slightly rude, and it was only how he said it. If you can't handle the truth about yourself that's a personal problem. She shouldn't have abandoned the possible sale, there was no justification for that.

Honestly, if I were her supervisor, I would have told her to quit being such a damn sissy.

If a "customer" is going as far to mock a sales representative, it's pretty obvious they aren't being taken seriously. The sale was lost to her.

Status
Not open for further replies.