• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

About 3D displays....

gallinazo

Guys, I was wondering, What's going on with 3D displays? I mean, I browsed a couple times the old site of Philips with its "ground breaking" 3D technology, however I also remember that Philips itself axed the 3d display developement. With that and other display related stuff, suddenly a few questions arouse on my part:
I remeber some guy (can't remember if it was at anand, tom's or whatever) saying that the display was indeed amazing though (obviously) expensive, that was a long ago, and so far I haven't seen any other contender ttaking on the challenge, furthermore Im almost at a total lack of news of not 3D displays, but "just" quad HD displays, I know it might be a niche market, but...still...I think the offering/options are to small. What do you think??? What- aside of the costs- is preventing either 3D or quag HD displays from popping up more frequently?
Talking about my own perspective...and wishes, considering that I work a lot on my computer and Im continuosly trying to expand my horizons and hardware, I was contemplating maybe, JUST MAYBE, open the save vault and get 1 of the aforementione displays, but with so little choice and how "hard" the products are to find...well, you get the idea.
For example, I knew Westinghouse "used" to have quad HD displays, though my last couple searches haven't been able to provide anything, other than the usual "full hd 1080p", Vizio is another 1 that I could swear I caught a glimpse of Quad HD offerings, but the last seraches....nothing, nada, zero; That leaves me with Barco, the only ones I still see that lists a quad HD display at 56 inches.
Japan made some noise with the "super Hi Vision" stuff, but so far I haven't seen anything outside of theorical talks, no projects or prototypes, the cell regza seemed like an interesting product, but as we all know, the model they are introducing is "full HD" rather than Quad and certainly (as far as I know) doesn't feautures 3D watching capabilities.
SO....guys, what do you think about all this?
Do you think some major player will step in and take on the challenge?
And finally, if I do decide to make the maneouver for a high end display...What options do I have? Any other brands that you know & can recommend?
So far I have not been able to come up with much data, so I write this post with the hope that someone knows and can help me & others with this questions.

Thanks in advance.

shevanel

all i know is that on my monitor this post is a chore to read.. its like a block of letter the size of fermi

shevanel

What are you looking to find in a high end display?

Gaming use? Blu ray movies only? 99% of the time you will play Wii?

what are you asking specifically? Are you asking me what tv would I would pick if you were buying it for me?

gallinazo

Im asking for options on 3D displays or Quad HD, now that philips (which idea I liked) killed the developement of theirs and quad HD being so scarce.
What do I would like it for? Simple, my computer is my main multimedia center, as in not only for work but entertainment. I use it for graphic stuff like 3D design, visualization & animation, video editing, some photo corrections, sometimes to paint, and certainly also for BluRays, DVDs & videogames (aside of anything else like browsing internet or listening to my FLAC files) I use it for a lot of things, so I would like a display that is huge, with great color accuracy, HIGH resolution, fast response, good viewing angle and the like.

shevanel

the westinghouse model seem promising @ 10K lol :confused:

have enough left for a trip to space

what size were you favoring?

gallinazo

Something on 50" or beyond, for really improving over the current 27" display, really note the difference & advantages you know...
Westinghouse may look promising, so do the Barco technically; I liked the Philips overall (for what I read) but they are no longer producing & had good expectations about the Cell Regza, but they only produced a "vulgar" HD display rather than a Quad, that and the fact that I haven't ever meet any "HD" TV capable of giving a crisp clear quality image like a PC display.....and I really have no options. :p :cry:

shevanel

I agree about the statement you made about finding a HD Tv capable of giving a crisp clear quality image like a pc display. I want a nice, large display but cannot settle on any TV bec it lacks in color and high image quality.

gallinazo

Amen to that:rockout:
HD TVs are only good on their refresh rate, other than that they are (for me ) crap compared to a good PC display, heck you can see the "pixels" so easily in any TV set whereas on a PC display you have to be very close and paying attention :p
Why on earth can the improve/fix that thing???

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
System Name My Comp | Fiancees Comp
Processor i7 5820k @ 4.6Ghz 1.285v| i5 2500k
Motherboard MSI x99 SLI Plus | AsRock Z77 Pro 3
Cooling Watercooled
Memory 16GB DDR4 2400 @ 2666 | 12GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) AMD R9 290x | MSI 5850 OC
Storage 128gb SSD + 2x 2TB | 2TB
Display(s) Asus 27" LCD | 25" Hanns G
Case CM Storm | CM Elite 430
Audio Device(s) Creative Recon 3D PCIe
Power Supply Enermax Galaxy 1250W | Rosewill 630w
Mouse Logitech G700s | Logitech G100s
Keyboard Logitech G901 | Logitech G105
Software Win 8.1 Ultimate x64 | Win 8.1 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores 3D Mark - Fire Strike Extreme - 4403
Amen to that:rockout:
HD TVs are only good on their refresh rate, other than that they are (for me ) crap compared to a good PC display, heck you can see the "pixels" so easily in any TV set whereas on a PC display you have to be very close and paying attention :p
Why on earth can the improve/fix that thing???

Thats because a TV is larger. The only way to fix that is to increase the resolution. Example being, you have a 24" LCD with 1920x1080, then you have a 50" LCD with that same resolution. The same amount of pixels in a space over twice as big, only way to accomplish this is to stretch the pixels to fit the screen. To get the same quality at 50" you would need to be a bit over double 1920x1080.

But still I'm not sure how close you are to these large TV's, 1080 on almost any TV out there is just fine, I doubt you can actually see blocky pixels, Unless maybe your looking at 80"+

gallinazo

Thats because a TV is larger. The only way to fix that is to increase the resolution. Example being, you have a 24" LCD with 1920x1080, then you have a 50" LCD with that same resolution. The same amount of pixels in a space over twice as big, only way to accomplish this is to stretch the pixels to fit the screen. To get the same quality at 50" you would need to be a bit over double 1920x1080.

But still I'm not sure how close you are to these large TV's, 1080 on almost any TV out there is just fine, I doubt you can actually see blocky pixels, Unless maybe your looking at 80"+

With all due respect, that's bull****, theorically makes perfect sense, but it's not, th e panles used in HD TVs are cheaper "crap". Why do I say that? well, I have a 27" PC display, I stated before you have to pay attention and be very close to notice the small squares, whwreas I have seen...25" to 30" (and beyond of course) "HD TVs" which right from 1 meter or more of distance I can clearly see the dots pitch, no effort, no concentration.
Do they look better than the old CRT standard definition sets? sure as heck, but still no match for a 30" PC display.