• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Radeon HD 6800 coming sooner than you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
System Name 9th Level
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard MSI X570 Carbon wifi
Cooling EK Basic 360, x2 250mm, x1 140mm, x1 120mm fans.
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz.
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 12GB FTW3
Storage 500gb ssd, 2tb ssd, 6tb HD.
Display(s) MSI 27" Curved 1440p@165hz
Case HAF 932
Power Supply Corsair HX850W
Software Windows 10 64bit
6800 series only at years end if even.

Yea ati will release 6 series soon due to heavy gsod and bsod of their 5 series... :roll:
In software section they will release gimmicks ---> hotfix :laugh:

Reported for trolling.

System Name KOV
Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus Crosshair Hero VIII
Cooling H100i Cappellix White
Memory Corsair 3600kHz 32GB
Video Card(s) RX 7900XT
Storage Samsung 970 evo 500gb, Corsair 500gb ssd, 500GB 840 pro & 1TB samsung 980pro. M2.SSD 960 evo 250GB
Display(s) ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B 165mhz, Dell S2721DGFA 27 Inch QHD 165mhz
Case Corsair 680x
Audio Device(s) ON Board and Hyper X cloud flight wireless headset and Bose speakers
Power Supply AX1200i Corsair
Mouse Logitech G502x plus lightspeed
Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL lightspeed and G13 gamepad
Software windows 11
Tell me for what are we going to use these new cards for. I think the only happy people are going to be the folding team.

Games wise there is nothing for these new cards and lets be honest the new Bad Company game works better with Direct 9 than DX10 or DX11 for that matter.

These guys need to let things catch up first and can you imagine these prices are just going to go and up.

Is AMD also going to have the same driver problem as we have all experienced over the last few months or has AMD realised they may have made a boo boo with the 5xxx series cards, with a result they are going to rectify it with the 6xxx series.

I know this sounds real negative but they are shooting to far ahead for anything else to keep up with them.

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
Yeah, I needed to buy three monitors to justify 5870's...even my 30-inch Dell was happy with Dual 4890's. DX11 currently offers nothing to me, as a consumer...

I replaced the 30-inch Dell with 3x P2310H, whose full-white power draw, together for all three, is less than the standby power that the 30-inch draws.

I replaced the 4890's with cards that suck less power, but do twice the work(but not really, not noticing more than 150% of one card using two, except for a few select apps).

I can now once again span my desktop across a couple of monitors.

So I bought new cards for less power consumption, and more display options, but definately not for more performance. I new card, that is faster...for what? Better programming could overcome any performance deficits in today's market. More power jsut gives more developer's reasons to be lazy....with consoles controlling the software gaming market, it makes little sense than to have much more power, or to play in a differnt resolution, than what they do.

I mean really..I'm playing BFBC2 @ 5870x1080, 4xAA. I'm not interested in more power...BC2 proves it's not needed.

Now if only that powerplay worked right, so I actually got those power savings...without 2D rendering errors! They need to replace 5xxx series to fix the hardware issues present in multi-monitor configs!

with this setup do you still need to use a display port at all? or can you use say 2xDVI/HDMI from the first card and the 3rd DVI/HDMI from the second card?

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Personally, I use monitors that have displayport. All monitors must connect to the main card, however, I hear that nV's solution will not require you to do so.

System Name RiseZEN Gaming PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ Auto
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix AIO, 280mm Radiator, Dual RGB 140mm ML Series PWM Fans
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) ASUS DUAL RX 6700 XT DUAL-RX6700XT-12G
Storage Corsair Force MP500 480GB M.2 & MP510 480GB M.2 - 2 x WD_BLACK 1TB SN850X NVMe 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix 34” XG349C 180Hz 1440p + Asus ROG 27" MG278Q 144Hz WQHD 1440p
Case Corsair Obsidian Series 450D Gaming Case
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries 5Hv2 w/ Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply Corsair RM750x Power Supply
Mouse Razer Death-Adder + Viper 8K HZ Ambidextrous Gaming Mouse - Ergonomic Left Hand Edition
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64-Bit Edition
Benchmark Scores I'm the Doctor, Doctor Who. The Definition of Gaming is PC Gaming...
nVidia didn't develop Fermi because they don't have a CPU to compete with AMD and Intel. This has nothing, at all, to do with the Fermi being what it is.

Fermi is not a CPU, it cannot run software designed for modern CPUs, for an example, an OS. It isn't in the same market segment as CPUs are. Aside of being a gaming GPU Fermi is a GPGPU tool, designed to bring HPC to a cheaper level and also make GPGPU coding easier (Hence things like cache, which are sorely missing on the G200 chips when they are used for GPGPU purposes - Manually managing memory reads/writes is a bitch, I can tell you that from hands-on experience).
Real good point. I've read somewhere that NVIDIA needed something special just to have a competative edge on the competition. I also read from CPU Mag something in regards to CPU's and Fermi.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950x, Ryzen 9 5980HX
Motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4(With Noctua Fans)
Memory 32Gb Crucial 3600 Ballistix
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3080, Asus 6800M
Storage Adata SX8200 1TB NVME/WD Black 1TB NVME
Display(s) Dell 27 Inch 165Hz
Case Phanteks P500A
Audio Device(s) IFI Zen Dac/JDS Labs Atom+/SMSL Amp+Rivers Audio
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G502 SE Hero
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Mk.2
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey Plus
Software Windows 10
well, the way I see it HPC is the way to go, thats where the money is since gaming has been on a decline the last few years, and AMD's current superscalar approach I don't think its gonna be able to top fermi with even double the shaders now, they need a new shader design to be be competitive in HPC/double precision.

System Name i7-PC / HTPC / iMac
Processor i7 3820 / Phenom II 940
Motherboard GIGABYTE G1.ASSASSIN2 / M3A79-T Deluxe
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100i / Scythe II (HS only)
Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Video Card(s) GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB / GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA
Display(s) 1x 27" Yamakasi / Vizio 42" HDTV
Case Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 / Antec 900
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker 7.1 / Onboard and HDMI from ATi Card
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W / 610W
Software Ubuntu / Windows 8.1 Pro / OS X / PHPStorm / Gaming
I just like to buy new hardware.

I don't necessarily need to justify it every time. I don't waste money on ANYTHING, except for technology, and I'm ok with that. I love it.

I have 3 4870s. I am looking to sell them because i just got a 5850. Even if I don't, I am betting i will get something in the 6000 series in 2011. I would upgrade more often if i could afford it.

The change from DX10 to DX11 made a pretty big difference in BC2 actually. now instead of ridiculously intense glare, it's more like fog and actually makes sense.

plus i've got 1 5850 giving me similar frames with higher settings than 2x 4870s.

agreed software needs to catch up, agreed devs need to stop being lazy, agreed consoles need to stop determining the market.... but entirely disagreed that innovation is unnecessary, that ATi should not be working new models.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I don't think they should stop, per se, but I do think that they should spend some time working with developers closely, and finding out where, exactly, they need more grunt.

nv does this, and look how successful they have been. nV traditionally is later to fab(excluding R600, which was in fab before nV's chip, but launched after), and they take that time to see what the devs need, and then give them what they ask for.

If they'd take the bit extra time, and work with developers to mature thier drivers, I think the extra longevity of thier parts will prove more profitable, as they can get a larger return on thier initial investment.

I mean, sure, AMD is working with some devs now, but they need to go all out. From what Iheard though, some contracts prevent them from doing so, in some situations...

And I'm right with ya there, on liking to buy new stuff. I've had eyefinity parts since september. I'm now saving for 120hz monitors for S3D too. And i buy everything new...you should see the stack of part receipts I have...

Them taking a bit longer isn't gonna stop me from buying things, at all.

Benetanegia

What NVIDIA should have done was design 2 types of Fermi's one strickly for gaming and the other with ALL the hardware which was the cause for its delays in the first place. This way they could have released say Gaming Fermi right with ATI's HD 5000 launch, then 6+ months later release the heavy duty Fermi. What was NVIDIA thinking? Who knows, but right now AMD can greatly afford to drop prices on its HD 5000's quite a bit where as NVIDIA cannot afford to so Fermi either performs like MAD or they are in trouble.

That wouldn't be profitable. The thing about HPC and GPGPU is that in general what makes a chip a good GPU also makes it a good streaming processor very well suited for HPC. There's no need to double up the work and R&D costs.

Apart from the above, according to Nvidia's own words, it's the GPU part what has made Fermi so complicated and has caused the delays. The compute part was easy, it was half taken from GT200, half from the very well known CPU cache hierarchy and overall architecture. The GPU part on the other hand includes things that have never been done before, like putting 4 setup engines and rasterizers and 16 tesselators in the same chip. My guess is that the hard work was put into making all those units work together. If you think about it, it's as if they had to resolve the multi-GPU rendering paradigm just for one chip. No Alternate Frame Rendering here, it wouldn't work.

System Name Back to Blue
Processor i9 14900k
Motherboard Asrock Z790 Nova
Cooling Corsair H150i Elite
Memory 64GB Corsair Dominator DDR5-6400 @ 6600
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 Ultra FTW3
Storage 4TB WD 850x NVME, 4TB WD Black, 10TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
Display(s) 1x Samsung Odyssey G7 Neo and 1x Dell u2518d
Case Lian Li o11 DXL w/custom vented front panel
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Saffire PRO 14 -> DBX DriveRack PA+ -> Mackie MR8 and MR10 / Senn PX38X -> SB AE-5 Plus
Power Supply Corsair RM1000i
Mouse Logitech G502x
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 11 x64 Pro
Benchmark Scores 31k multicore Cinebench - CPU limited 125w
Agreed. I have been wanting to upgrade my video cards (4850 Crossfire) for a long time, but I can't find a reason. Even the most demanding games get shredded by a pair. Software REALLY needs to catch up to some of this hardware we have today.

Heck, I'm having a fairly rough time justifying upgrading from my single 4850 still...

I was just looking at grabbing a 5850 *got sick of waiting for Nvidaslow* and now with this its like ugh should I even bother. :ohwell:

System Name ASUS ROG Zephrus M15
Processor AMD Rhyzen 7 4800HS
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) Geforce RTX 2060
Storage 1TB
how much more power packed will the 6xxx series be ... the 5970 is frikin amazing ...

System Name i7-PC / HTPC / iMac
Processor i7 3820 / Phenom II 940
Motherboard GIGABYTE G1.ASSASSIN2 / M3A79-T Deluxe
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100i / Scythe II (HS only)
Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Video Card(s) GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB / GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA
Display(s) 1x 27" Yamakasi / Vizio 42" HDTV
Case Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 / Antec 900
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker 7.1 / Onboard and HDMI from ATi Card
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W / 610W
Software Ubuntu / Windows 8.1 Pro / OS X / PHPStorm / Gaming
If they'd take the bit extra time, and work with developers to mature thier drivers, I think the extra longevity of thier parts will prove more profitable, as they can get a larger return on thier initial investment.

Them taking a bit longer isn't gonna stop me from buying things, at all.

yeah, agreed. :)

bobzilla2009

System Name Bobzilla the second
Processor AMD Phenom II 940
Motherboard Asus M3A76-CM
Cooling 3*120mm case fans
Memory 4GB 1066GHz DDR2 Kingston HyperX
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon HD5870 1GB
Storage Seagate 7200RPM 500GB
Display(s) samsung T220HD
Case Guardian 921
Power Supply OCZ MODXSTREAM Pro 700w (2*25A 12v rail)
Software Windows 7 Beta
Benchmark Scores 19753 3dmark06 15826 3dmark vantage 38.4Fps crysis benchmarking tool (1680x1050, 4xAA)
i suppose the more they advance, the more powerful the next xbox will be, we may even get some decent cross platform graphics in 2012! Although that's if onlive doesn't take off (which, in fairness, it could amongst those with decent connections but don't want to look after a gaming pc), if it does pc gaming is going to explode and consoles will die, since that's what it's all based off :)

System Name RiseZEN Gaming PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ Auto
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix AIO, 280mm Radiator, Dual RGB 140mm ML Series PWM Fans
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) ASUS DUAL RX 6700 XT DUAL-RX6700XT-12G
Storage Corsair Force MP500 480GB M.2 & MP510 480GB M.2 - 2 x WD_BLACK 1TB SN850X NVMe 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix 34” XG349C 180Hz 1440p + Asus ROG 27" MG278Q 144Hz WQHD 1440p
Case Corsair Obsidian Series 450D Gaming Case
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries 5Hv2 w/ Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply Corsair RM750x Power Supply
Mouse Razer Death-Adder + Viper 8K HZ Ambidextrous Gaming Mouse - Ergonomic Left Hand Edition
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64-Bit Edition
Benchmark Scores I'm the Doctor, Doctor Who. The Definition of Gaming is PC Gaming...
That wouldn't be profitable. The thing about HPC and GPGPU is that in general what makes a chip a good GPU also makes it a good streaming processor very well suited for HPC. There's no need to double up the work and R&D costs.

Apart from the above, according to Nvidia's own words, it's the GPU part what has made Fermi so complicated and has caused the delays. The compute part was easy, it was half taken from GT200, half from the very well known CPU cache hierarchy and overall architecture. The GPU part on the other hand includes things that have never been done before, like putting 4 setup engines and rasterizers and 16 tesselators in the same chip. My guess is that the hard work was put into making all those units work together. If you think about it, it's as if they had to resolve the multi-GPU rendering paradigm just for one chip. No Alternate Frame Rendering here, it wouldn't work.
You are right. Perhaps NVIDIA should have released Fermi GPU's for the low to mid range group and leave the high end out of it until they can get it right. But the way I read it is Fermi had major issues which caused this 6+ month delay and so even low to mid range cards would have probably performed slower than average. You make a good point though.
how much more power packed will the 6xxx series be ... the 5970 is frikin amazing ...
New GPu design? HD 5970 being the fastest GPU ever built Humm, I say IMSO the HD 6870 (NOT the HD 6970 hehe) is going to be at least 2x faster than the current ATI 5970 Monster.
When I heard how the ATI boys were talking about this modular style GPU they were dam serious. Drivers will make a world of difference in performance, ATI needs to hit the right note to get that much performance out of them IMO.;)
i suppose the more they advance, the more powerful the next xbox will be, we may even get some decent cross platform graphics in 2012! Although that's if onlive doesn't take off (which, in fairness, it could amongst those with decent connections but don't want to look after a gaming pc), if it does pc gaming is going to explode and consoles will die, since that's what it's all based off :)
What I want is PC gaming and Console gaming to join online forces and have us all play together. I want to play Left 4 Dead 2 on PC with a friend but he already got it for XBOX 360, so we cannot play together. No sense in him buying the PC version right.

System Name Felix777
Processor Core i5-3570k@stock
Motherboard Biostar H61
Memory 8gb
Video Card(s) XFX RX 470
Storage WD 500GB BLK
Display(s) Acer p236h bd
Case Haf 912
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Rosewill CAPSTONE 450watt
Software Win 10 x64
What I want is PC gaming and Console gaming to join online forces and have us all play together. I want to play Left 4 Dead 2 on PC with a friend but he already got it for XBOX 360, so we cannot play together. No sense in him buying the PC version right.

doesn't CoD:MW2 do this?

as for the HD 6870, i have EXTREMELY high expectations from ATI. they've come back and made great headway. Now that they have the lead i can't see them doing what Nvidia did and just sit on their current chip(i kno i kno, ATI was far behind but still) and let it end up biting them in the ass. i think they'll keep the 5 series and refresh is the GTX 480's benchies are true(they're not that impressive imo) and just do a refresh and won't release the 6 series till Q1-2 next yr. I really think ATI has the better idea behind smaller/easier to produce than Nvidia's monolithic design, however once a monolithic design is perfected...its amazing.G80 is a good example.

Also, im curious as how the HD 6XXX series can release by the end of this year, weren't they saying it would be on 32 or 28nm? but there aren't any fabs that do 32nm GPU's are there?...well nvm lol i remember reading the article saying that GF had displayed 32nm waffers and one was ATI GPU's. hmmm i think this next gen from both companies will be one of the most interesting. Will Nvidia perfect fermi and with the respin/next gen really exploit its potential and come back? or will ATI release its new architecture with the 6 series and stay ahead even longer?

Nah, I doubt we will get a die shrink any time soon of the RV870, perhaps towards the end of the year, but I believe any new GPU will be on 40nm.

So I would think that ATi is planning a "5890" to counter the Fermi release, probably with a GPU near 900-950Mhz, and much faster RAM, and probably a slightly better cooler.

System Name Toaster!
Processor Intel Core i7 10700KF @ 3.8/5.1GHZ
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z490-P Motherboard
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 CPU cooler.
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 64GB (4x16GB) 3600MHz CL16 DDR4
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 OC 24GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB
Display(s) Asus ROG PG43UQ 4K UHD 144Hz G-Sync HDR 43in + 2 x ASUS VG258Q FHD 144Hz Freesync 25in Monitor
Case Corsair Obsidian 900D
Audio Device(s) EPOS Sennheiser GSX 1000 V2 amplifier + EPOS Gaming GSP 601 Headset
Power Supply Corsair AX1000 Titanium Modular
Mouse Razer Deathadder
Keyboard Corsair K70.
Software ALL HAIL WINDOWS 10.
Benchmark Scores Old system: http://www.3dmark.com/fs/6805248
Yes/// If Fermi owns ATi's current series... Expect the 6 series to come soon...

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
Yes, good chance it's coming much sooner than most expect. I do wonder though, how GFI will do with gpu silicon...it's not quite the same as cpu stuff, yet I feel optimistic about it.

I could cars less though..hardware is advancing far too fast for hardware...18 month schedules from 2 years, sucks.

its not really that hard to bealive honestly. the R&D dept. doesnt even care about the 5 seies anymore. i have my money on them being atleast 2gens ahead. remember how fast they turn out is like a move. nvidia and ATI are playing chess. Which move will make them more money? currently ATI is a step ahead so their making bank. Now step 2 release a better/newer product than the one your currently ahead with. Why? because if they do they will always be one step ahead. you see by the time the 6 series comes out fermi will have hit. so it will be a price/perf. war. now nvidia has always been ahead ATI's lead in the generation dept has been behind since like 2003. The stratagy is simple. They want to make money. ATI imo has always had better price perf. So their role is clear. Their making bank being ahead now. Nvidia will match them in a few weeks their sales will go down a bit but should remain relatively stable. Then after a few months BAM a new generation it keeps nvidia from breathing and they have successfully came out with a better products (in theory) and flodded the market with their cards. $$ to ATI all around. If you think the 6 series release is crazy youll have a stroke when nvidia makes their move in the generation war in a few years were they release 2 different generations in the span of 6 months to retake the lead.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
commenting on solaris wall of text:

By the time a card hits retail, the successor (be it a die shrink, board re-design or a brand new GPU) is at least one year in production. Whether that equals a card in 6 months or in 18 months, depends on how long it takes - this is why die-shrinks or a board that works at higher clocks (4890) tend to not take long to produce (most of the works already done) whereas totally new designs that would take 2-3 years, only take us 1-2 (with the die shrinks/refresh) filling the gap

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Yes/// If Fermi owns ATi's current series... Expect the 6 series to come soon...

From the dictionary in my head:

Ownage: To annihilate the opposition with humiliating grandeur. Similar to how i feel when i play BC2 - I experience 'ownage' from others *shakes angry fist - i will have my revenge*.

Fermi (GTX480) will in performance stakes (and I am in no doubt) be the fastest single GPU out there (but not necessarily the best - I also factor in price, noise and heat production). But i dont think it's going to own ATI's cards - they have too much headroom and AIB's are already pumping out higher clocked designs. Remember a heavily(1) OC'd 5850 can overtake a stock 5870 so likewise, a heavily OC'd 5870 will be quiet the little madame.

(1) Something we're all quite sure Fermi wont be able to do.

Anyhow, we'll wait and see.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
nvidias cards use twice as much power (and therefore twice as much heat to deal with) - so even if they're cheaper than ATI's cards, they still have that to deal with.

likely => 2500 ati shaders to compete the new upcoming nvidia 480s.
I expect ati to make 4000 shaders for the 6870 tho

twistedneck

likely => 2500 ati shaders to compete the new upcoming nvidia 480s.
I expect ati to make 4000 shaders for the 6870 tho

MikeX, good point - the fermi on paper could destroy cypress what ever ati has now, what do we do with our old graphics boards and pc's? i mean, you can't possibly build a 6870 system on anything except the new 12 core, so these 'old' i5/ i7 's even though they are over clocked will have to be put out to pasture as quick internet boxes..

so its not just the cost of upgrading the video board - something we will do since we post on this forum, its the entire system. hell i just got my 5th ati 5xx series board yesterday (5750, 5850, 2x 5870, 5970) and we're already talking about how its two generations old and pretty much not even cared about by R&D. :confused:

And to the people who want consoles to be the same as pc games for compatibility sake - no way man, consoles are kids toys.. good for parites, etc.. but if you want the best you need a big fat over powered, huge, billion transistor pc that is NOT worried about the limitations of console hardware after year 1. i just gave away my ps3 cause it was a bore. but the kids i gave it to loved it and they could care less about pc gaming.

On and on.. i sure hope cryengine 3 can use fermi or cypress to the max, or even beyond, because i dig new hardware but only if it can actually do something different apart from 20 more fps.

bobzilla2009

System Name Bobzilla the second
Processor AMD Phenom II 940
Motherboard Asus M3A76-CM
Cooling 3*120mm case fans
Memory 4GB 1066GHz DDR2 Kingston HyperX
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon HD5870 1GB
Storage Seagate 7200RPM 500GB
Display(s) samsung T220HD
Case Guardian 921
Power Supply OCZ MODXSTREAM Pro 700w (2*25A 12v rail)
Software Windows 7 Beta
Benchmark Scores 19753 3dmark06 15826 3dmark vantage 38.4Fps crysis benchmarking tool (1680x1050, 4xAA)
on paper fermi definitely should decimate the hd5870. But it doesn't. Even in nvidias contrived heaven demo the hd5870 is equal in the parts that require little tessellation at stock frequencies.

Also, we could all hope onlive destroys consoles, since it's a pc based platform, limited only by the power of pc tech :) therefore 'cross platform' (kinda) games will be far better looking and be more complex with regards to physics ect. Even though i can't see onlive taking off just yet, a part of me really hopes it does.

Fourstaff

Staff member
System Name Orange! // ItchyHands
Processor 3570K // 10400F
Motherboard ASRock z77 Extreme4 // TUF Gaming B460M-Plus
Cooling Stock // Stock
Memory 2x4Gb 1600Mhz CL9 Corsair XMS3 // 2x8Gb 3200 Mhz XPG D41
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 // Asus TUF RTX 2070
Storage Samsung 840 250Gb // SX8200 480GB
Display(s) LG 22EA53VQ // Philips 275M QHD
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange // Tecware Forge M
Power Supply Corsair CXM500w // CM MWE 600w
Honestly I am waiting for Asus 5xxx Xonar version, where they combine graphics and sound card into a neat package for HTPC people. Very few people are using 5870 to its fullest, and fewer need such a beast.

Status
Not open for further replies.