• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

System start-up issue

Skaterninja25

Hey guys.
I originally built my system at the begining of 2009. it consisited of
500W PSU
4GB DDR2
Nvidia 9800 GTX+
AMD Phenom 9950
asus m3n78 pro motherboard
But i recently did some upgrading of the video card ,ram, and PSU
Now i have a 850w and 4870x2 and 8GB of RAM and my issue is with the video card im pretty sure.

basicly when i turn my system on some times it revs up and i get nothing out of the monitor. all the fans in the system run 100% but nothing happends. so i usually flip the power switch on my PSU and look threw the glass until i see that the power light on the motherboard has turned off then i flip power back on and boots clean.

At first i wasnt sure if it was video card so i took it out and booted with the integrated graphics instead and it boots smoothly everytime! i can even use the standby feature that comes with windows with my integrated card. but with my 4870x2 if i put the pc in standby, when i try to bring it back i get the same 100% fan speed and nothing out of the monitor.

im really confused and i dont know whats up maybe some body has some tips?

thanks, Justin

You said that when you turn it on sometimes it has this issue. Does that mean that sometimes it boots all the way? I take it you can get into BIOS, right? I suspect that you can if standby mode is an option. Just want to confirm that.

Were you overclocking the CPU before you replaced the RAM? When you oc the CPU, you also oc the RAM. Whenever you replace the ram, you have to make sure that your sticks can handle the frequency. Although you've upgraded the RAM capacity, I can't tell if your new RAM has the same frequency capacity as before (that number that comes after DDR1, DDR2 or DDR3). For my RAM, it is 1066. You may have to go into bios to set up a divider if you're OCing your CPU. When I upgraded my RAM last, I forgot to set up a divider. My system would boot, but it was unstable until I adjusted the settings in BIOS.

Second line of questioning: Did you make these upgrades all at once, or one at a time over a spread period? If the latter, which part did you install when this boot problem first started?

You say that you have two cards, but when you take out the card, the computer runs smoothly on the integrated card. I take it that by 'take out the card', you mean both cards, right? Have you tried with just one card? That might be a way to narrow it down. Have you tried plugging the monitor into the other video card after coming back from standby mode?

Can you send the specs for the PSU?

Lastly, when you say 100% fan speed, I'm sure you're referring to the card fans, right?

Sorry for some of the dumb questions, but I just want to confirm everything.

Last edited: