• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How do you keep your online gaming accounts safe?

System Name My Rig
Processor AMD 3950X
Motherboard X570 TUFF GAMING PLUS
Cooling EKWB Custom Loop, Lian Li 011 G1 distroplate/DDC 3.1 combo
Memory 4x16GB Corsair DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) MSI Seahawk 2080 Ti EKWB block
Storage 2TB Auros NVMe Drive
Display(s) Asus P27UQ
Case Lian Li 011-Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) JBL 30X
Power Supply Seasonic Titanium 1000W
Mouse Razer Lancehead
Keyboard Razer Widow Maker Keyboard
Software Window's 10 Pro
First, a story;

It's 4am this morning and I randomly wakeup to my phone vibrating on my night stand with a new email. I am a support tech with clients on the West Coast, UK, Africa...so I am kind of all over the place at work. But this is an email regarding one of my gaming accounts. Specifically my battle.net account. Someone, somehow obtained access to my account and changed the password. Now, they should have known better when they viewed my World of Warcraft account as inactive for the past 10 months. But instead they activated my WoW account and changed the password. This is what tipped me off. So I scramble over to my computer to confirm this nightmare(in that I have SC2 beta access and thats what I really cared about). And reset the password using the "secret question". I proceeded to then change the email and password and Secret question again for good measure. I logged into the WoW account, and no gold, or items had been deleted. Not that I really cared so much as just wanted to make sure.

I have in the past few years moved from physical disks, to entirely downloadable content. Through such means as Steam, EA download manager, and the like. I was wondering, How do you all keep all your accounts safe? rotate passwords, a full host of Virus Scan/Malware etc etc?

I missed out on an hour of sleep changing all my passwords, for all sorts of accounts that used that email and pass. But to the question above, What do you do in an age of digital theft?

I myself loaded up AVG, which I didn't have before, I usually use offsite scan software to check up on my system. I am considering getting a Battle.net Authenticator as well...

D

Deleted member 24505

My wow account got hacked,they stripped all my toons.I got all my stuff back though and got myself an authenticator.

System Name HAL
Processor Core i9 13900k @5.8-6.1
Motherboard Z790 Arous master
Cooling EKWB Quantum Velocity V2 & (2) 360 Corsair XR7 Rads push/pull
Memory 2x 32GB (64GB) Gskill trident 6000 CL30 @28 1T
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 Gigagbyte gaming OC @ +200/1300
Storage (M2's) 2x Samsung 980 pro 2TB, 1xWD Black 2TB, 1x SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB
Display(s) 65" LG OLED 120HZ
Case Lian Li dyanmic Evo11 with distro plate
Power Supply Thermaltake 1350
Software Microsoft Windows 11 x64
There is no way to keep yourself truly safe.
You have done all that you can.
Changing your passwords is the best method imo.

Unless this authenticator has better results?
I'm not familiar with it.
Please elaborate, any links or info would be nice.
Something I would like to look into also, seeing as most of my things come through digital distribution as well now a days.

System Name My Rig
Processor AMD 3950X
Motherboard X570 TUFF GAMING PLUS
Cooling EKWB Custom Loop, Lian Li 011 G1 distroplate/DDC 3.1 combo
Memory 4x16GB Corsair DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) MSI Seahawk 2080 Ti EKWB block
Storage 2TB Auros NVMe Drive
Display(s) Asus P27UQ
Case Lian Li 011-Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) JBL 30X
Power Supply Seasonic Titanium 1000W
Mouse Razer Lancehead
Keyboard Razer Widow Maker Keyboard
Software Window's 10 Pro
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
A long password and I check my system for keyloggers using Spybot and Malwarebytes. Never had a password stolen in my computing life.. That I know of.

System Name Boomer Master Race
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7735HS APU
Motherboard BareBones Mini PC MB
Cooling Mini PC Cooling
Memory Crucial 32GB 4800MHz
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 680M 8GB IGPU
Storage Crucial 500GB M.2 SSD + 2TB Ext HDD
Display(s) Sony 4K Bravia X85J 43Inch TV 120Hz
Case Beelink Mini PC Chassis
Audio Device(s) Built In Realtek Digital Audio HD
Power Supply 120w Power Brick
Mouse Logitech G203 Lightsync
Keyboard Atrix RGB Slim Keyboard
VR HMD ( ◔ ʖ̯ ◔ )
Software Windows 10 Home 64bit
Benchmark Scores Don't do them anymore.
Is spybot any good?

System Name V!RU5
Processor E8400 / Q6600 (still deciding which one to keep)
Motherboard GA-P35-D3SR
Cooling Thermalright Ultra-90
Memory 4GB Corsair
Video Card(s) Evga 8800GT
Storage Seagate 500GB
Display(s) Viewsonic VA2226w
Case RaidMax Ninja
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply RaidMax 520
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64 / Sabayon Linux 5.0 KDE 4.4.1 / OSX Leopard 10.5.8 IDeneb
All anti-virus and anti-malware are useless these days!

Now that is a bold claim and you might be calling BS, but i'll tell you why.

Any experienced blackhat will have crypted their stealer/logger/RAT with a recent stub.

What does that mean? They have scrambled the code so your anti-virus/malware can't read it.

Here is an example:

uncrypted

same file crypted

Eventually once the virus is spread around and the security companies have analyzed and updated their definitions, it can be detected but this could take 1-2 weeks even longer and during this time the blackhat could have all your passwords or worse have control of your system.

The only way to know if your system has been compromised, is to install a packet sniffer like wireshark and do you own examination of the traffic going in and out of your computer.

So how do you protect yourself against this sort of threat.

On my windows machine I have a virtual machine with linux installed, a linux system can't get infected with windows viruses (the only place i have come across a virus in linux was in the wine directory, wine is for running windows programs). I recommend Ubuntu for easy of use, but take a look at Mint or Sabayon. If you don't like linux you can always install windows too. For virtual machine i use VirtualBox which is free and VMware, the player version is free too.

Why use a virtual machine, well if your virtual OS gets compromised you can reinstall or if you're smart you would have taken a snapshot which you can revert to, though i have only come across 2 methods of this happening in linux, bruteforced the password and software installation from a rogue repository. If your virtual OS is windows reverting to an earlier snapshot is much safer than a sytem restore on your main harddrive install as some viruses inject themselves in the memory and self-propagate after the restore. A virtual machine install is like having an extra barrier of protection.

Use a proxy! This is especially important if you ip address is static. If the blackhat doesn't know where you live they won't come back to attack you. Hotshield, JOndo are two i use and sometimes the list from here after scanning them with proxyfire to make sure they are safe.

Get a good firewall, this will allow you to control what is going in and out of your system.

Of course the methods above is not 100% foolproof but it will deter the blackhat and hopefully they move on to a easier victim and leave you alone. :)