• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

i7 vs Low Power CPUs

System Name HAL_9017
Processor Intel i9 10850k
Motherboard Asus Prime z490-A
Cooling Corsair H115i
Memory GSkill 32GB DDR4-3000 Trident-Z RGB
Video Card(s) NVIDIA 1080GTX FE w/ EVGA Hybrid Water Cooler
Storage Samsung EVO 960 M.2 SSD 500Gb
Display(s) Asus XG279
Case In Win 805i
Audio Device(s) EVGA NuAudio
Power Supply CORSAIR RM750
Mouse Logitech Master 2s
Keyboard Keychron K4
So here is a gander,

I keep looking at charts for performance in CPUS, GPUS, Hard Drives, Power Supplies, and I cannot for the love of me find a good chart to that shows good performance per electricity comparison. I can easily on Hard Drives and GPUs though. Hmmm. (btw, TPU reviews have helped a whole lot in that area of researching. Cudos)

I ask for a strange, out of semi-place fashion. I am planning on showing clients that there can be decent energy saving ways to build your own machine (part wise. I have a whole pamphlet already for methods to save it, but saving it for the purpose of the topic) What I want to show is that there is a good CPU that is quick enough, but not top of the line i7 980X material, but still low on the bar that it is reasonably priced and energy efficient (in some aspect)

I know CPUs like the i7 run pretty hefty on power in comparison with say my parents AMD 4850e rig I built for them last Christmas. But also it can crunch over 9000 times more as well. I wonder if anyone knows of decent resources or recommendations they can offer in this light.

It sounds cliche I know. But I have to provide numbers of some fashion. Green trend or not.

Thanks a ton,
-At

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
I would do something like benchmark score divided by tdp. Unfortunately, amd and intel cpu's don't scale linearly in benchmarks (SuperPI is a huge example of this) so there's really no good way to directly compare the two, but you can compare within brands.

So here is a gander,

I keep looking at charts for performance in CPUS, GPUS, Hard Drives, Power Supplies, and I cannot for the love of me find a good chart to that shows good performance per electricity comparison. I can easily on Hard Drives and GPUs though. Hmmm. (btw, TPU reviews have helped a whole lot in that area of researching. Cudos)

I ask for a strange, out of semi-place fashion. I am planning on showing clients that there can be decent energy saving ways to build your own machine (part wise. I have a whole pamphlet already for methods to save it, but saving it for the purpose of the topic) What I want to show is that there is a good CPU that is quick enough, but not top of the line i7 980X material, but still low on the bar that it is reasonably priced and energy efficient (in some aspect)

I know CPUs like the i7 run pretty hefty on power in comparison with say my parents AMD 4850e rig I built for them last Christmas. But also it can crunch over 9000 times more as well. I wonder if anyone knows of decent resources or recommendations they can offer in this light.

It sounds cliche I know. But I have to provide numbers of some fashion. Green trend or not.

Thanks a ton,
-At

I go through that question often since I build rackmount servers. Since CPU is the main heat source in servers, it's important to have a good idea of CPU's TDP and efficiency.

Though, in servers, often money is not an issue.

There are low powered Intel core 2 quads available with 65w TDP rating. You save 30w of TDP which can change a whole layout in servers.

And there are Q9x00 mobile core 2 quad CPUs at 45w TDP. They work on socket P rev 2.

Both Intel and AMD offer energy efficient server grade CPUs, you might want to browse Newegg for server line CPUs.

Personally speaking, as a consumer, I find i3 530 to be quite good in both power usage and CPU raw power.

Completely Bonkers

Processor Mysterious Engineering Prototype
Motherboard Intel 865
Cooling Custom block made in workshop
Memory Corsair XMS 2GB
Video Card(s) FireGL X3-256
Display(s) 1600x1200 SyncMaster x 2 = 3200x1200
Software Windows 2003
Low power CPU's are the way to go if you want a silent or always on machine. I use an Atom 330 as my main 24/7 desktop. It also runs my phone system, which obviously needs to be 24/7.

However, if you need to CRUNCH, or do something that really requires the CPU to work, then you need to go for CPU-performance and FORGET about trying to power minimise. You can't really have both, and every client will have a different "need", so no one solution will fit all. I therefore also have a dual CPU workstation in the (other) office that I use when doing hardcore stuff.

But what are you trying to get at with your question?
1./ Encourage people to buy a lower power and lower performance machine that is sufficient for 99% of their need, and accept that the world is a greener place for them getting a slower machine 1% of the time? OR
2./ Are you trying to encourage people to PAY MORE for the same performance machine, but as a low-power specification edition, like CULV or Xeon L?

If 1, then my Atom 330 is fine for Office, for printing, for Internet, for email. But it completely fails IF

1. I want to OCR, or optimise scans, e.g. LuraDocument
2. I want to edit or manipulate large graphics files
3. (Re-)Encoding audio or visual
4. Gaming

So, if you are recommending something for your mum or grandparents or the office secretary/clerk, then an Atom 330 is more than enough. But if you are building a server, a workstation or a gaming machine, then forget (very) low power. You will need more performance than low power will give you. Exactly how much power you are going to need is then determined by intended purpose of the machine.

What are we doing in our office? Using low power silent clients, and have a high power server providing various services that take too long on a low power desktop. e.g. run watch folders and drop files into the folders to process them, e.g. PDF optimisation and OCR etc.

However, this is not good for power users that really need to have power on tap.

My personal "optimal zone"? Look at the performance of the best processor. Buy something that is 20% less powerful. You have 20% less performance on the CPU, which 99% of the time doesnt matter. But you save 50% on the cost of the CPU. And for most games, the CPU isnt the bottleneck, the GPU is. So a CPU even 50% the speed of the best will not impact framerates even 1%.

JayliN

System Name Unnamed
Processor Intel Core i7 860 @ 2266 (.895vcore in bios, LLC off)
Motherboard MSI P55-GD65
Cooling Xigmatek S1283 /w Bolt Thru Kit and Antec Tri-Cool
Memory 2x2GB G.Skill Eco DDR3 @ 1.175v
Video Card(s) ATI 5850 /w Accelero S1
Storage WD 640GB, 2x WD GP 1TB
Display(s) Dell 2407WFP Rev. A04
Case Antec P182 /w Front Intake Antec Tri-Cool
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic /w OPAmp Mod -> Audio Technica ATH-A900
Power Supply Antec NeoHE 500 Watt Modular
Software Windows 7 x64 Professional
i7 can be VERY efficient, low power, and cool if you underclock+undervolt it. Here is mine at .895v in bios, 2266mhz, full load.

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
19w? I simply don't believe it.