• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

RBE with Sapphire HD5970

Shawn2000

Hi all, I have successfully used the wizard to produce two new files for the master and slave on my 5970.

I have only made one change to each file, I used the wizard to up the vcore voltage to one step up (1.05 to 1.0625). I made this change to the master and slave GPU ROM files.

I have been using ATIFlash from a DOS boot disk to flash both master and slave BIOS settings. However, when I try to boot windows, I get a BSOD "SYSTEM_SERVICES_ERROR" or something like that.

Now when I flash back to the default BIOS, everything works again.

I have read one nugget someone posted that you can't edit the 5970 voltage using the powerplay, you have to use the "registers", however, the registers are for increasing the cap on voltage, right? I just want to go up one step.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

BAGZZlash

RBE Author
That's right, you have to change the voltage registers. Just leave the powerplay table voltages unchanged. In RBE's clock settings tab find the "GPU registers..." button in the lower area. Click it and find the highest voltage entry in the upcoming window. Change it to your desired voltage.

You should read the official tutorial. Also notice this.

Shawn2000

That's right, you have to change the voltage registers. Just leave the powerplay table voltages unchanged. In RBE's clock settings tab find the "GPU registers..." button in the lower area. Click it and find the highest voltage entry in the upcoming window. Change it to your desired voltage.

You should read the official tutorial. Also notice this.

Ok, that worked, thanks! Your second link makes it clear, but it wasn't clear from the tutorial on that issue.

Also, I am weighing whether to overclock in RBE or let overdrive handle the clock and just use RBE for volts. Can anyone give me advice on that? I am water-cooled so I don't really need to have the fan adjustments working, just clock settings.

I'm thinking that by letting overdrive handle it, I can more easily clock down and I have less chance of a bricked card since it will not be overclocked on bootup.

Any advice?

Well, unless your pump(s) are on a delay you really don't have anything to worry about at boot up with the RBE overclocked cards. Hell, even with pumps that are on a delay it is very doubtful that the liquid would heat up enough to allow your card to overheat in such a short period of time.

I've had no issues with either of my 5970's with RBE overclocks. Just make sure to thoroughly test for stability before bothering to flash with RBE.

true_gamer

Hi,

I have tried many times by using the methods that are shown on how to overclock in RBE.
I am not having any luck at all with my 5970.
I can only get into windows with the master Gpu flashed, but as soon as I flash the slave with my overclock, I get to windows logo and then it reboots. WTF?

I know my overclocks are fine, as I can run them in windows using Afterburner, and leave Furmark running for ages.
The clocks I'm trying to achieve is 975/1250 @ 1.2v Core, 1.15v Mem Which like I said is fully stable.
I'm using Win 7 64bit. i7 930 @ 4.2ghz, Gigabyte UD7, 6GB G.skill Trident 2ghz.

Is there any chance you could leave your vbios so I can try them?

Cheers,

Simon.