• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Blizzard makes $2 Million in 4 hours from new mount

System Name penguin
Processor R7 5700G
Motherboard Asrock B450M Pro4
Cooling Some CM tower cooler that will fit my case
Memory 4 x 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage ADATA SU800 512GB
Display(s) 27' LG
Case Zalman
Audio Device(s) stock
Power Supply Seasonic SS-620GM
Software win10
Hello,

I just found a new unique mount in WoW. I will try to sell it to TPU first, because you guys are so awesome.

This is it:

You can get it only from the final bosses and the drop rate is 0,00000000000000000001%
It can be yours for the nominal fee of 50$
Find me on paypall, if interested.

Processor AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE Deneb @ 3.7GHz
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P
Cooling ZALMAN CNPS9700 CPU Heatsink
Memory OCZ 4GB DDR3 1600 @ 7-7-7-24 1.85v
Video Card(s) ATI Sapphire OC 7850 1200c/5800m @ 64c Full Load
Storage Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB + Western Digital 1TB External Drive
Display(s) SAMSUNG ToC T240 24'' LCD
Case Silverstone FT01-BW
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply ZALMAN ZM-750
Software Win 7 x64 SP1
Hey, Don't post that here..

If you're serious people are really going to buy it..

System Name penguin
Processor R7 5700G
Video Card(s) IGP
Display(s) 27' LG
Case Zalman
Audio Device(s) stock
Software win10
Too late I already sold 2...

System Name home brew
Processor Intel Corei7 3770K OC @ 4.5Ghz
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77-V
Cooling Corsair H100
Memory 16GB DDR3 1600 GSKILL
Video Card(s) Powercolor Radeon 7970, MSI Radeon 7970
Storage Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240gb. 2 TB Hdd.
Display(s) 3x24inch Dell Ultra IPS
Case CM storm trooper
Power Supply Antec Quattro OC ed. 1200w
Software Windows 7 Business x64
Benchmark Scores vantage: P43089
The mount you have in wow is like the car you have IRL. I went and got 100 mounts in that game because i could. there's some really hard ones to get i didnt, and i didnt pay for one either. IF this one was say $10 and not $25 id probably get it as it does like pretty cool imo. But $25 is quite a bit for just one mount. maybe later on when i make more money.

System Name Hogan's Crap
Processor Intel i3-2120 Crap!
Motherboard Dell POS Crap!
Cooling Stock Crap!
Memory 4 GB Kingston DDR3 10600 Crap!
Video Card(s) Stock Crap!
Storage 500 GB 5400 rpm Crap!
Software Windows 10 64bit
I dont play WoW, but I have bought things for other games in the past. I had the extra money so I spent it. Isnt that what money is all about? You make it to spend it. After you pay your living expenses and such. ;)
I wouldnt do it nowadays though. I have an expensive beer and hooker addiction that I need my cash for. Do they have beer and hookers in the WoW realm? Mmmmmm.... WoW hookers. :laugh:

System Name penguin
Processor R7 5700G
Video Card(s) IGP
Display(s) 27' LG
Case Zalman
Audio Device(s) stock
Software win10
I dont play WoW, but I have bought things for other games in the past. I had the extra money so I spent it. Isnt that what money is all about? You make it to spend it. After you pay your living expenses and such. ;)
I wouldnt do it nowadays though. I have an expensive beer and hooker addiction that I need my cash for. Do they have beer and hookers in the WoW realm? Mmmmmm.... WoW hookers. :laugh:

Yea sure, if you're into 3d pyramids and 2d triangles that is.... You just order, and we will deliver!
And we also have Wow beer too! It's non-alcoholic, you don't get fat from it, and you don't get that "drunken" smell, because the beer tastes like air.

System Name Black Panther
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO Wifi 1.0
Cooling NZXT Kraken X72 360mm
Memory 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) Palit RTX2080 Ti Dual 11GB DDR6
Storage Samsung EVO 970 500GB SSD M.2 & 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm
Display(s) 32'' Gigabyte G32QC 2560x1440 165Hz
Case NZXT H710i Black
Audio Device(s) Razer Electra V2 & Z5500 Speakers
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850 Gold 80+
Mouse Some Corsair lost the box forgot the model
Keyboard Motospeed
Software Windows 10
Personally I don't think this has anything to do with stupidity but more with addiction.
Anyone knows that WoW is one of the most addictive games on history.
Plenty of other publishers do similar promotions - for example with The Sims 3 you first pay for the game, then they come up with a downloadable addon for the game (the Prius car for example) and people have to pay more to get just another car in the game i.e. it wasn't as if the game hadn't been playable or if levels got unlocked by purchasing the car or any other item.
Even free facebook games like farmville do such promotions preying on the addiction of some of their players. They release a feature, and you need to pay RL cash to get it. I'm pretty sure some people do so.....
But well, one can say that that's the gaming business after all, trying to make as much money as possible whether giving a game for free like farmville and getting the revenue from adverts and from the few people who pay quite a lot to get 'better features', or whether creating a game for a reasonable price and having a lot of people buying the game.

Now shall we get back on topic to discuss how clever Blizzard was in making money? ;)

System Name home brew
Processor Intel Corei7 3770K OC @ 4.5Ghz
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77-V
Cooling Corsair H100
Memory 16GB DDR3 1600 GSKILL
Video Card(s) Powercolor Radeon 7970, MSI Radeon 7970
Storage Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240gb. 2 TB Hdd.
Display(s) 3x24inch Dell Ultra IPS
Case CM storm trooper
Power Supply Antec Quattro OC ed. 1200w
Software Windows 7 Business x64
Benchmark Scores vantage: P43089
There's a yearly event in wow called Brewfest i think. Bunch of achievements that generally require getting your character drunk off your ass.

System Name Gamer
Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard AsRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/AX
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming D
Case Phanteks Eclipse P200A D-RGB
Power Supply 800w CM
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
I have two views on this mount. Well three, actually.

One, it does indeed look like a my little pony. I won't say more because it will involve slurs against someone's sexual orientation.
Two, Way over-priced. I might pay a micro payment, microsoft point style for a couple of bucks. It's BOA, so that means all your characters will have it, as soon as they are of level to ride it, and it will scale with thier riding skill. That would save me hundreds of gold, and people who play more than me, much much more. Every time you make a character youre looking at a few hundred gold in mounts. If you have the toon cap (50 chars per account) then that adds up quick. It'd be worth a few bucks. But not 25$. Now, if I also didnt have to pay in-game gold for the riding skills (which adds up to several thousand gold per character) then I would probably pay 25 bucks for it. I struggle to raise the gold for an epic flying skill on even a couple of my toons.

Third, and this will contradict part of my second point: Paying for something in-game demeans the game. Why not put the mount as a drop in-game, that way we have something else to work for (obviously i know why, more money, but thats not my point) It's like inputting cheat codes into a video game. You want to play a game, but you cant beat it, so you put in a cheat code, and beat it in 10 seconds. The only thing you cheated yourself out of more time playing the game. The worst game ever was gran turismo. You input the code to get a million bucks, buy all the cars you want... and then never play the game again because you have nothing to work for. So, like I said, I probably still would buy the mount if I didnt have to work to buy the riding skills, but thats only because its a part of the game I dont enjoy (gold grinding) and there is PLENTY more to do in the game besides grind gold for you mount skills.

Yay! Another mannoroth denizen! Im also on darkspear

EDIT: oh yea, they are introducing a flying mount that is the same thing (not the same model, but it is BOA, scales to riding skill, etc) for recruit-a-friend. So that means, buy the 15$ vanilla wow game, get 300% experience for your main account's alts, plus a new account that you can keep or sell (dual-box to run your own alts through instances?) AND you get a mount just like this one, AND it wont look like my little pony.

Last edited:

Gam'ster

System Name Toshiba L350
Processor AMD QL-65
Motherboard Toshiba 780G/SB700
Cooling Laptop
Memory 3GB
Video Card(s) ATI HD3000
Storage 250GB
Display(s) 17" Widescreen
Case Black/Carbon effect
Audio Device(s) OnBoard
Power Supply Brick
Software WIN7
Yes, it does and a lot. Publishers only know about one thing: making money. And you know what "vote with your wallet" means right? So what all these dumbs are doing is telling publishers that releasing a lame mount for $25 is way more profitable than releasing a damn game. Don't expect many great games in the future. This along with MW2 and some others are teaching them that no matter how much they screw the gamers, there's always going to be some stupid enough to pay for not only their copy, but also those of the ones that didn't want to buy the game*, enough to make up for the lost customers. And when it comes to money, publishers learn fast.

*By paying $60 instead of $50 for a crippled game, by paying $25 for stupid things...

What i meant was does it matter to any member here what another spends his/her money on ? No and I really couldn't care less about some publisher and i doubt publishers need to learn much in that regard in the first place, This sort of thing has been happening for a while now.

F1reFly

Processor Phenom 2 965 Black Edition OC
Motherboard MSI G65
Cooling H50 Liquid Cooling
Memory 6 gig DDR3
Video Card(s) GTX 580
Storage Corsair Real SSD c300
Display(s) Sony 40" 3D LED TV
Case Fractal Design-define mini
Audio Device(s) Creative Sigma 3d
Power Supply Tagen 900 watt
Software Windows 7 x64
Money does also have the ability to be saved for later spending; such as emergency, times of need, etc..

dude!, its $25 bucks. lmao
thats nothing, thats not even emergency or time of need money unless your starving to death and need to eat at Ruby Tuesdays which should pay for a very nice steak dinner and handsome tip. lol $25 bucks, if you can't spare that to blow on any random thing, your either living above your means, or need to get a job.

in all seriousness though, i donate more than that and waste more per week on lottery tickets and i'm just a typical $15 per hr blue collar worker with a family, house car and pets. lol $25 bucks

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
This thread is about Blizzard and their use of in-game items to generate revenue.
It is NOT about how other people choose to spend their money.
If you do not have an opinion that is directed at Blizzard, I suggest you simply do not post here.

Any more posts that are directed at another user will be dealt with accordingly.
I am not singling anyone out. There is already enough crap in this thread to close it.

Are we clear on that? :)

System Name Becca 2
Processor AMD A10 4600m quad core @ 2.3 ghz
Motherboard dunno
Cooling Logitech alto connect
Memory 16 Gig ddr3 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Ati HD 7660G + & 7470M
Storage 1 TB
Audio Device(s) onboard crap
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit with sp1