• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

booting up problem!

odddray

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i took a gig of ram out of my computer and started it up. the computer started but never booted up. the fans ares spinning and the graphic card fan is spinning. i reseted the cmos a wrong way without taking the battery out and i turned on the computer again. i smelled somthing burning. what do u think is the probelm here?? did i burn the proccesor or do i need a new motherboard.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
:twitch: You are scaring me here!!! I don't understand what you did. What bothers me the most is when you said,
i reseted the cmos a wrong way without taking the battery out and i turned on the computer again
What does that mean? What do you mean by "wrong way"? Many motherboards allow you to reset the CMOS without removing the battery just by momentarily shorting two specific pins with a jumper. Resetting the CMOS will not cause anything to smoke. I have never tried to insert a battery the wrong way, but that can't be good and may cause a sensitive component to fry - I hope that's not what happened here.

Computers will not boot without RAM. You took 1 Gb out. How much is left?

Why remove RAM in the first place? Why try to reset the BIOS? What's really going on here?

Whenever requesting help, you need to tell folks about your system so we know what we are dealing with. What OS? Laptop or PC? Nature and history of the problem, symptoms, etc. Any recent hardware or software changes?

odddray

afd

i have one gig left after i took the ram out. i reseted the c mos jumper thing when the battery was in. i have an athlon 64 3200+ that i got from an e machine. and a x850 saphfire version graphic card. the ram i have is corsair. i recently got a motherboard, the a8n-E. would it have somthing to do with the emachine athlon 3200+ cpu on a new motherbaord. please help it sucks that i can't use my computer.

ATIonion

would it have somthing to do with the emachine athlon 3200+ cpu on a new motherbaord. please help it sucks that i can't use my computer.

it could be yes.....on some prebuilt systems....what they do is code the parts of the computer to only work with eachother....are you using a new hard drive or are you using the one from the e-machine rig?? if you are using the e-machine hard drive then that is your problem...you WILL need a new hard drive....no other way around it...

second....did you reformat your hard drive when you changed motherboards?? that is a must as well....anytime you change hard drives or motherboards you will have to reinstall windows again....

hope this helps....if you need more help post it, we will help ya find what you need....good luck..:rockout:

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
second....did you reformat your hard drive when you changed motherboards?? that is a must as well....anytime you change hard drives or motherboards you will have to reinstall windows again....
:confused: That's certainly not true. Just about every retail boxed harddrive comes with a utility disk that will allow you to copy your current OS installation to the new drive. And although swapping motherboards while attempting to keep the same OS installation can get ugly, with a little pre-install preparation, you can swap the motherboard out too without formatting or reinstalling Windows quite easily.

Having said that, IMO, it is best to perform a fresh install when swapping out motherboards to ensure the registry is completely purged of old drivers and properly configured for the new. This may require a new Windows license because typically, the OEM versions of Windows are licensed to only be used with the machine it was purchased with and sometimes, the OEM version of Windows looks for the makers code in the BIOS.

And it is also not true that you will need a new hard drive. If you do use the existing drive, there may a hidden partition for the OEM, but no big deal.

BUT, you may (probably do) need a new power supply as many makers swap wires in the power connectors. Dell used to be notorious for this.

The AMD would not care either - as long as the motherboard supports that AMD model - AMD does not make proprietary CPUs for emachines.

My guess is the PSU.

ATIonion

:confused: That's certainly not true. Just about every retail boxed harddrive comes with a utility disk that will allow you to copy your current OS installation to the new drive. And although swapping motherboards while attempting to keep the same OS installation can get ugly, with a little pre-install preparation, you can swap the motherboard out too without formatting or reinstalling Windows quite easily.

Having said that, IMO, it is best to perform a fresh install when swapping out motherboards to ensure the registry is completely purged of old drivers and properly configured for the new. This may require a new Windows license because typically, the OEM versions of Windows are licensed to only be used with the machine it was purchased with and sometimes, the OEM version of Windows looks for the makers code in the BIOS.

And it is also not true that you will need a new hard drive. If you do use the existing drive, there may a hidden partition for the OEM, but no big deal.

BUT, you may (probably do) need a new power supply as many makers swap wires in the power connectors. Dell used to be notorious for this.

The AMD would not care either - as long as the motherboard supports that AMD model - AMD does not make proprietary CPUs for emachines.

My guess is the PSU.

Did you actually read the whole thread or just decide to comment on something you didnt read???

re read the forum...no one has a new hdd...he is using parts from an older pre build emachine....who said it was a retail hdd????????

and yes hp compaq emachine all will code their product to work only with the exact same products...ie....you need to have same mobo hdd in order for it to continue working...

i would like to see you take an existing prebuilt system and change the mobo to a diff. brand and plug it all in and have it work right off the bat all without reformatting.......lmao...

sorry to be hard on you, but you are telling me im wrong when i know that `10 years exp. in this tells me i am right....

tell ya what ...have him ship you his pc and see if you can get it to work just like you say...if you can you will get respect from me, but honestly what you have said is not completely right...sorry...

if he is using the hdd from the emachines that could be his prob...COULD...psu could very well be the problem tho he doesnt own a dell its a emachine..its been a couple of years since i have delt with emachine, but last i knew they didnt change the psu pin layout on the mobo or psu....

id still bet he is using the emachines hdd or he has removed ram from the 1st slot and needs to put the ram in the right place....or like he said he smelled something burning...could just be a bad mobo or anything at that point....

never the less read the post and comment on what it says, dont make something up...its not cool...:rockout:

Last edited:
Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
:banghead:

You said,
"anytime you change hard drives or motherboards you will have to reinstall windows again...."
So, I know what I read - do you know what you wrote?

I have had many emachines come across my bench for upgrading. If you pay to ship it to my shop, I will be happy to fix it for him.

10 years? Well, when you get a little older and a little more experience under your belt, then maybe you will learn. In the meantime, check out this, this, this, and this to see how others - many others - have replaced emachines motherboards too - or are they all making stuff up?

My point about the retail box for HDDs is that utilities are readily available from many sources that allow anyone to swap HDDs WITHOUT having to reinstall Windows.

And who said anything about "right off the bat"? Did you read what I said? I said "with a little pre-install preparation".

Here's the deal odddray - you probably need a new PSU if for no other reason than emachines PSUs are barely adequate to begin with, but now you have a new and more power hungry video card, which deserves good clean power. To be perfectly legal, you will probably need a new license of Windows too because OEM versions of Windows are only licensed to be used with that maker's machine. This is often checked by the BIOS

Sadly, emachines, though good at what they do, are pretty much meant to be disposable when no longer meeting the needs of the user.

Namslas90

Oddray, What model of E-machine do u have. I have a T3256. AMD3200. Did you take out mem stick 0 or stick 1.

ATIonion

you are missing the point.....and i have no time or desire left to try and explain it to you....mostly because your not the one im trying to help...and again who the hell ever mentioned a NEW outta the box HDD??? besides you???? i'll just wait for his results....

and BILLY boy...if your gonna post comments on what others have said to try and help people...dont be a dick about it..dont put words in other peoples mouths and for the love of god read what i said b/c you still havent understood it...or should i write in bigger text for you????

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Whatever. I did read what you said - and it was wrong - and I provided several links where others feel the same way. Your choice to believe or not. So continue as you wish, and continue with name calling if it makes you feel bigger. I could care less and will give your comments from now on all the attention they deserve.

ATIonion

Whatever. I did read what you said - and it was wrong - and I provided several links where others feel the same way. Your choice to believe or not. So continue as you wish, and continue with name calling if it makes you feel bigger. I could care less and will give your comments from now on all the attention they deserve.

lmao...i must have hit a nerve with this guy.....wonder if he knows this is just a forum....lmao what a riot......:rockout:

Namslas90

Too bad you two spent more time cat fighting, instead of helping this guy!!

Processor AMD Phenom II X2 550 @3600MHz (VCore -0.05V)
Motherboard Gigabyte MA-780G-DS3H (AMD SB700), BIOS: 04/14/09
Cooling Scythe Samurai cooled by 2x Enermax Warp 80mm ~700 RPM
Memory 2x 1GB GeIL Ultra DDR2-800 @1066 CL4-5-5-15 2T
Video Card(s) MSI R4830 OC (HD4830)
Storage Samsung 400 GB S-ATA, WD 400GB S-ATA
Display(s) Samsung 2433BW 1920 x 1200 Pixel (16:10)
Case timeless office tower ;)
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1
Power Supply be quiet! Straight Power BQT E7-400W
Software Windows XP Pro 32bit
In my oppinion, the most important thing is to uninstall the IDE/S-ATA Controllers from the old windows before you connect the HDD to a new mobo.
Preinstallation has to be prepared, otherwise you have to face a completely new OS installation.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
In my oppinion, the most important thing is to uninstall the IDE/S-ATA Controllers from the old windows before you connect the HDD to a new mobo.
Preinstallation has to be prepared, otherwise you have to face a completely new OS installation.
Good point Peach. In fact, for the most successful upgrade, we uninstall all hardware drivers first and revert back to what Windows is most comfortable with, its native drivers. You also have a better chance of success if you stick with the same family of chipsets and by setting the standard VGA resolution of 800X600. There is no guarantee it will work, but it minimizes the risk of failure.

Typically, one of the best tutorials for replacing a motherboard is by TheElderGeek. As he correctly points out, often the deal breaker is the OEM disk for Windows. If you enter replace boot drive in Google you will find a couple million hits with suggested procedures - as mentioned earlier, there are many utilities available designed for that purpose.

FTR, although upgrading an emachine is certainly possible, I generally don't recommend it. As I mentioned before, they are often described as "disposable" - just as you would not refill a butane lighter, but rather buy a new one, such is often the way with emachines. That does not mean they are bad, just not designed to be upgraded.

This is often exacerbated by the automated techniques used in the assembly process - and not just for emachines, either. For example, Dell machines often come with motherboards that are not screwed in. Rather, they are clamped down by "prongs" punched out of the sheet metal of the case. Unbending these prongs often results in them breaking off. This results in no way to secure the motherboard to the chassis at that point because there are no tapped screw holes. If several prongs break, the replacement board may not be properly secured. The end result is a new case may be required. This then can snowball into needing a new PSU, fans, floppy. Before long, you end up with a new PC anyway.

The best advice I can give is to backup any and all critical data, take all necessary steps to revert your existing system back to Windows "out-of-the-box" configuration, cross fingers, proceed carefully.

To the problem at hand, we still need to determine if the OEM PSU is suitable for use with a standard ATX compliant motherboard. Although nothing is better than a good multimeter in the hands of a qualified technician, a PSU tester, such as this one from FrozenCPU give a pretty good idea of the PSU's status. If the PSU has a proprietary configuration (not good for ATX compliant ASUS boards) this will show it. I keep one of these in my tool bag at all times. CompUSA has a less expensive model here.

My apologies to all for my part in the "tone" of this thread becoming unpleasant.