• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Foxconn Suicide Bonus?

Processor Ryzen Threadripper 2920X
Motherboard ASRock X399 Phantom Gaming 6
Memory 64GB DDR4 2666MHz
Video Card(s) GTX 1070 Ti
Storage A lot
Display(s) LG 4k HDR + Samsung 4k
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
Actually I just quit my summer job after 2 days at it. My boss kept pulling out the "You better work hard or else I'm going to fire you because I have a nice stack of applications from people wanting jobs" BS. So I quit. While he got married and is on a honeymoon. He won't be back for a week or two so it's lost productivity. It's going to be a bit of a hard lesson for him on why turnover is bad for a company :laugh: I have another job lined up so it's all good :)
But see the Chinese don't have that luxury. I agree that all of this is sad, but what can we do except stand by and watch? We don't have control over anything and unless if we want to start paying $300 for a foxconn motherboard (which I'm sure most of you wouldn't) things won't change for awhile. And even then if Chinese labor becomes expensive all of it will move to Africa. So the cycle will never end.

Managers don't need to value staff. Why should they? They can fire a worker easily on the spot and give it to a more willing individual.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Managers don't need to value staff. Why should they? They can fire a worker easily on the spot and give it to a more willing individual.

if you havent been in a position of responsibilty/power you wouldnt understand. its common sense & just like you said - the boss was being a tosser so you left. the fact that you put up with it for only 2 days shows your lack of commitment & dedication for the job you applied for & they hired you for. not to mention it doesnt look good on the CV (if you put it down that you worked there for 2 days) maybe your boss was just messin & things would change once he comes back from his honeymoon who knows. but if i got into a job & the boss was a total arse, id give the job a month at least, if he still continues id approach him about it & if he wont listen then fine you can leave/resign if you so wish to.

---

RL has proven that workers work harder when their happier. if your mean to your staff then i wouldnt be suprised if they didnt want to work for you. same reason why you left your summer job after 2 days.

as a boss/line/manager etcetc your job is not only to make sure that everything is running smoothly. but to keep those that work underneath you happy to a certain extent. because shouting, verbally abusing or even physically abusing your staff doesnt really promote a sense of well being in the workforce & employees start to think less & less of the company, the managers, the bosses they work for till it just becomes an endless grind & moral hits a low point where 1 individual might influence others not to work as hard because theres no point doing things fast if their only gonna be shouted at or verbally/physically abused.

happy people work harder.

Processor Ryzen Threadripper 2920X
Motherboard ASRock X399 Phantom Gaming 6
Memory 64GB DDR4 2666MHz
Video Card(s) GTX 1070 Ti
Storage A lot
Display(s) LG 4k HDR + Samsung 4k
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
Bear in mind I'm just playing devil's advocate :)
I don't need to put it on my CV/Resume. It's not like there's a public record for all the companies you worked for. If you or I did put every job we worked for on paper that'd be one very, very long CV/Resume.
Oh and I wouldn't exactly call working in a cornfield a decent job ;) so there's less importance for me to keep it.

But like I said- I have this luxury. Most people do not.

And you are wrong about happy workers = more productivity. People can be just as productive when they're not happy. Sweatshops around the world are case in point. My sociology of work prof. mentioned this to my class. Initially I disagreed but I can see where he went with the statement. People don't have to love their job in order to be productive- just as long as they keep working.

FreedomEclipse

Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
And you are wrong about happy workers = more productivity. People can be just as productive when they're not happy. Sweatshops around the world are case in point. My sociology of work prof. mentioned this to my class. Initially I disagreed but I can see where he went with the statement. People don't have to love their job in order to be productive- just as long as they keep working.

I never said anything about workers loving their job. but in my experience valuing the people you work with or the ones that work under you motivates them to work harder. if people arent happy then productivity will suffer because they lose the motivation.

try being a team leader of 5 or 6 people - make them work for you, shout at them & verbally abuse them constantly then come back & tell me if they'd care to work for you any longer let alone work hard for you. - its a give n take situation. if youve seen what people who are in a dead end job are like, you'd understand.

low rate of pay, long hours, with no oppotunity for promotion or anything doing mundane tasks.

you need to keep people motivated,

I respect what your professor said - but this is real life.

System Name gaming system
Processor 2600k @ 4.2 ghz
Motherboard MSI Z77 MPower
Cooling Thermalright ultra extreme 120 rev.C w/noctua NF-S12B push/pull
Memory 16gb corsair vengeance 2400 c11 @1.5 v/
Video Card(s) GB gtx670 WF3x sli @1080/1372/6660(core/boost/mem)
Storage 2x samsung 850evo 250gb raid 0 ,2tb wdblack, 3TB wd purple
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster P2770FH, asus VH242t/19" lg 1440x900
Case fractal design r4
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX1050
Mouse Razer abyssus
Keyboard corsair k70
Software Windows 10 pro x64
I like foxconn,
stupid chinees and Taiwanese people
lol

just kidding

Last edited:

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
I like foxconn,
stupid chinees and Taiwanese
lol people

watch what you say man, there are chinese & tiwanese people visit this site too

Case fractal design r4
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Razer abyssus
Keyboard corsair k70
System Name THE MAD BEAST!!!
Processor Tinfoil rapper with some coathangers
Motherboard Graham cracker with with frosting
Cooling A shovel full of snow
Memory Grey matter out of a corpse
Video Card(s) Cat eyes
Storage A whales brain
Display(s) Cyclops eyeball
Case Inside a yetis hollowed out corpse
Audio Device(s) howling banchee
Power Supply 32 hamster on a massive wheel
Software WHo needs software when you have a box of kittens
Benchmark Scores IS gatrillions a number?
this is just absolutly horrible in every sense, but when it comes down to it, the company must have a high policy on there employees and the only reason i can see them offering this to there employees which honestly much be temping to alot of them. to beable to have a free mind and know that there family will be okay for 10-15yrs. sadly enough.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I think this whole thing is sad.

I think it is sad that they only make $132 a month, but that is probably a lot of money to them.

I think it is even sadder that Foxconn trying to do a decent thing, and giving their families a little compensation in the wake of a tragedy is being mis-construde as Foxconn paying their workers to kill themselves.

I think it is even sadder that there are employees that will take advantage of that and kill themselves because they think it is the best option...

Case fractal design r4
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Razer abyssus
Keyboard corsair k70
I think this whole thing is sad.

I think it is sad that they only make $132 a month, but that is probably a lot of money to them.

I think it is even sadder that Foxconn trying to do a decent thing, and giving their families a little compensation in the wake of a tragedy is being mis-construde as Foxconn paying their workers to kill themselves.

I think it is even sadder that there are employees that will take advantage of that and kill themselves because they think it is the best option...

I'm 17 en I can't live on 132 dollar,
how those people live in chine and shit,
f**k that does make no sense

System Name THE MAD BEAST!!!
Processor Tinfoil rapper with some coathangers
Motherboard Graham cracker with with frosting
Cooling A shovel full of snow
Memory Grey matter out of a corpse
Video Card(s) Cat eyes
Storage A whales brain
Display(s) Cyclops eyeball
Case Inside a yetis hollowed out corpse
Audio Device(s) howling banchee
Power Supply 32 hamster on a massive wheel
Software WHo needs software when you have a box of kittens
Benchmark Scores IS gatrillions a number?
the ecenomy is diff its all about the econmy man ive been to thailand as close as i can get to thailand, currently in korea, but its all about the economy and exchange rate, if there paying them 132 us, that can change into more for there exchange rate, but honestly still cant be that much

Processor Intel Core i5 8400
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370N-Wifi
Cooling Silverstone AR05
Memory Micron Crucial 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX1080 G1 Gaming 8G
Storage Micron Crucial MX300 275GB
Display(s) Dell U2415
Case Silverstone RVZ02B
Power Supply Silverstone SSR-SX550
Keyboard Ducky One Red Switch
Software Windows 10 Pro 1909
In taiwan foxconn already has a reputation of offering say 5% more salary than other companies and give 5x the workload.
from what I can pick up from my dad's experiences (he used to work in some place with occasional business trips to china) taiwan has better working conditions than china by quite a gap (on average), but comparing to western countries exploitation of staff is still pretty bad.

on topic: I seriously doubt these suicides in foxconn factory are uncommon in china (and no i'm not implying this is okay). i think these cases stood out because
1) foxconn has lots of cash and publicity
2) foxconn is, afterall, a taiwanese comapany, regardless of political standpoints, it is still considered foreign comparing to actual local chinese companies. and when someone is pressured to kill himself under the management of a relatively foreign company, it is not going to be unnoticed

I'm 17 en I can't live on 132 dollar,
how those people live in chine and shit,
f**k that does make no sense

cost of living is different all over the world, in more rural areas of china, it would be possible to live off $10 a week

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
If it was possible to live off of 10 bux a Day in the US Id be a rich mofo.

In taiwan foxconn already has a reputation of offering say 5% more salary than other companies and give 5x the workload.
from what I can pick up from my dad's experiences (he used to work in some place with occasional business trips to china) taiwan has better working conditions than china by quite a gap (on average), but comparing to western countries exploitation of staff is still pretty bad.

on topic: I seriously doubt these suicides in foxconn factory are uncommon in china (and no i'm not implying this is okay). i think these cases stood out because
1) foxconn has lots of cash and publicity
2) foxconn is, afterall, a taiwanese comapany, regardless of political standpoints, it is still considered foreign comparing to actual local chinese companies. and when someone is pressured to kill himself under the management of a relatively foreign company, it is not going to be unnoticed

cost of living is different all over the world, in more rural areas of china, it would be possible to live off $10 a week

3volvedcombat

System Name My Computer
Processor Core 2 Q9550 4Ghz 1.23volts
Motherboard Gigabyte
Cooling Corsair
Memory OCZ
Video Card(s) Galaxy
Storage Western Digital
Display(s) Acer
Case Lian li
Audio Device(s) Asus
Power Supply Corsiar
Software Microsoft
Benchmark Scores 25,000 3dmark06 at 4.35Ghz processor, 835core card!
2 factory's Both at about 400,000 workers measured.

13 suicides convined from both the factorys which = about 800,000 workers

out of 800,000 people only 13 suicides or attempts were commited. I dont know about you but thats actually pretty low.

Suicide by 1 is bad ofcourse.

But in reality those could be the worst of the worst of all workers in those factory's

That was in 1 year

So it seems about right. Probably the workers working over hours were the more stress was there actually could only do it at the factory's because they really didnt have time to do it somewhere else.

Makes sense.

But at least foxconn is not letting the family die off because the working woman or man earning the pay just kills her/his self.

And I belive maybe most of there work force is actually women, because women arnt treated to the best of ability in china, Actually I read it up and China's suicide rate for women is higher then most if any other country racked up.
:cry:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Don't foxconn employees live @ the Foxconn complex? Do they pay room and board there, or does Foxconn?

System Name Old Gateway / Steam Deck OLED LE
Processor i5 4440 3.1ghz / Jupiter 4c 8t
Motherboard Gateway / Valve
Cooling Eh it doesn't thermal throttle
Memory 2x 8GB JEDEC 1600mhz DDR3 / 16gb DDR5 6400
Video Card(s) RX 560D 4GB / Navi II 8CU
Storage 240gb 2.5 SSD / 1TB nvme
Display(s) Dell @ 1280*1024 75hz / 800p OLED
Case Gateway / Valve LE
Audio Device(s) Gateway Diamond Audio EMC2.0-USB 5375U ($15 a long ass time ago), Valve
Power Supply 380w oem / 65w valve USB-C
Mouse Purple Walmart special, 1600dpi. Black desk mat
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 100 / virtual
VR HMD Lmao
Software Windows 10 / Steam OS
Benchmark Scores It can run Crysis (Original), Doom 2016, and Halo MCC. SD LE 45fps
i think i read somewhere that they live there, actually i think the article i posted the link to says that.

System Name Main
Processor Ryzen 5950x
Motherboard B550 PG Velocita
Cooling Water
Memory Ballistix
Video Card(s) RX 6900XT
Storage T-FORCE CARDEA A440 PRO
Display(s) Samsung UE590
Case QUBE 500
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z623
Power Supply LEADEX V 1KW
Mouse Cooler Master MM710
Keyboard Huntsman Elite
Software 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/damric/
A lot of people don't realize that there are sweatshops in the United States as well, but we keep ours in our territories such as Guam, and Northern Marianna Islands. Most of the garments that say "Made in the USA" are made in a sweatshop is a U.S. territory (which does not have the same labor law protections).

System Name Old Gateway / Steam Deck OLED LE
Processor i5 4440 3.1ghz / Jupiter 4c 8t
Motherboard Gateway / Valve
Cooling Eh it doesn't thermal throttle
Memory 2x 8GB JEDEC 1600mhz DDR3 / 16gb DDR5 6400
Video Card(s) RX 560D 4GB / Navi II 8CU
Storage 240gb 2.5 SSD / 1TB nvme
Display(s) Dell @ 1280*1024 75hz / 800p OLED
Case Gateway / Valve LE
Audio Device(s) Gateway Diamond Audio EMC2.0-USB 5375U ($15 a long ass time ago), Valve
Power Supply 380w oem / 65w valve USB-C
Mouse Purple Walmart special, 1600dpi. Black desk mat
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 100 / virtual
VR HMD Lmao
Software Windows 10 / Steam OS
Benchmark Scores It can run Crysis (Original), Doom 2016, and Halo MCC. SD LE 45fps
not to mention all the "under the table" work. you know, where your paid a small wad of cash for the work you've done at the end of the day...no taxes, etc.

It's not only Foxconn that has such bad work environments.
These kind of stories are rife across several companies. Foxconn just happens to get the most bad publicity from it due to the fact they're one of the largest OEM component manufacturers in the world.

Processor Core i5 3570K
Motherboard AsRock z77 Pro4
Cooling Zalman CNPS10X Extreme
Memory 2x4GB GSkill Sniper
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970 Gaming
Storage 240GB OCZ ARC 100, Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Display(s) LG 23" 1920x1080
Case Antec P100
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Antec Edge 750W
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64
If it was possible to live off of 10 bux a Day in the US Id be a rich mofo.

It IS possible to live off 10 dollars a day. We just prefer our current living conditions to the ones we'd deal with if we were on that kind of budget.

D

Deleted member 24505

Remember, lifes like a shit sandwhich,the more bread you've got,the less shit you eat.

unfortunately its the way of the world nowadays. Most westerers dont give a flying feck for any of the workers in them sweatshops making stuff for well off westerners. If you really care then dont buy the stuff they are making. Its very unfortunate for them workers but there is realistically nothing any of us can do,even if you stop buying the produced goods,its not going to stop the suicides happening. Problem is the companie has given workers an incentive to kill themselves and help out their families.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
It IS possible to live off 10 dollars a day. We just prefer our current living conditions to the ones we'd deal with if we were on that kind of budget.

the way the economy is with our current leader, it might happen.

System Name Main
Processor Ryzen 5950x
Motherboard B550 PG Velocita
Cooling Water
Memory Ballistix
Video Card(s) RX 6900XT
Storage T-FORCE CARDEA A440 PRO
Display(s) Samsung UE590
Case QUBE 500
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z623
Power Supply LEADEX V 1KW
Mouse Cooler Master MM710
Keyboard Huntsman Elite
Software 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/damric/
I think they are doing a fantastic job. Just look at the quality products!

Maybe if they could beat the sweatshop workers ~10% more, then I could get a ~10% higher overclock!

DrPepper

The Doctor is in the house
System Name Rusky
Processor Intel Core i7 D0 3.8Ghz
Motherboard Asus P6T
Cooling Thermaltake Dark Knight
Memory 12GB Patriot Viper's 1866mhz 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) GTX470 1280MB
Storage OCZ Summit 60GB + Samsung 1TB + Samsung 2TB
Display(s) Sharp Aquos L32X20E 1920 x 1080
Case Silverstone Raven RV01
Power Supply Corsair 650 Watt
Software Windows 7 x64
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06 - 18064 http://img.techpowerup.org/090720/Capture002.jpg
I wonder if Al Qaeda get the same bonus' ?