• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

5570 to 5670

Processor 9700K
Motherboard Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ac
Cooling Alpenfohn Black Ridge
Memory 32GB Micron VLP 18ADF2G72AZ-3G2E1
Video Card(s) 3090 FE
Display(s) Samsung G9 NEO
Case Formd T1
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Anyone ever change the device ID on their 5570 to that of a 5670?

I have one on the way and plan to test it out. I think I should work for a number of reasons:

1) They are same architecture. HD5xxx series
2) They are basically the same devices. 5570 is low profile, DDR3 vs DDR5 and a lower TPD specifically for HTPC's. Same amount of ram, lower clocks on GPU and DDR.

Why would I want to do this? Cause I read this article about the difference between a 5670 and a 5570, and how AMD forces off post processing on the 5570 when you enable "Smooth Video Playback". And I like to mess around with things and curious if it will work heh :)

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2935/3

I'm in the process of building a HTPC. Got my Origen AE S10V on the way, and have my preorder in for a Ceton InfiniTV 4 digital cable card tuner. I'm debating if I should use my old Q6600 quad core (since the tuner has 4 tuners, and I might be recording 4 channels at once), or buy a lower power, higher clocked core duo. Decisions decisions :?

mkchiu

The sameness ends with the power circuitry; 5570s appear to have less efficient designs that don't work so well at the 75W PCIe slot limit.

There's no need to flash the 5570 to a 5670:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3601/the-final-word-on-the-best-radeon-htpc-card

Radeon HD 5570: As we noted earlier, the 5570 original failed our Cheese Slices test. After AMD’s engineers looked in to it, it turns out that the drivers sampled with the card (ATI_8.69_RC3_Win7_Vista_Jan14) had a 5570-specific bug when ESVP was enabled. If you recall our review of the card, enabling ESVP would forcibly disable all post-processing and advanced deinterlacing features on the 5570, both internally and in the Catalyst Control Center itself. That was the bug – ESVP wasn’t supposed to be disabling anything.

AMD has since provided us with a newer build of their drivers (ATI_Win7_Vista_8.692RC2_Feb10, available from AMD here) which correct this issue. ESVP no longer blocks the operation of any post-processing features.

We went ahead and tested this driver in-depth, and the driver does indeed correct the issue. The 5570 is able to use all post-processing and advanced deinterlacing features with ESVP enabled and disabled. The quality was just as good as the 5670 (we would expect no less) and we found no evidence of the card dropping any frames.

Thus as far as we can tell, the 5570 is in fact the perfect Radeon HTPC card that we have been looking for. It’s the cheapest, smallest, and coolest running 5000-series card that can offer the full suite of post-processing abilities, and of course it has the 5000-series’s audio bitstreaming capabilities. Since the whole point of this exercise was to identify the lowest 5000-series card that was still perfect for HTPC use, we have found it. And the best part is it even fits in a low-profile case.

System Name Money Hole
Processor Core i7 970
Motherboard Asus P6T6 WS Revolution
Cooling Noctua UH-D14
Memory 2133Mhz 12GB (3x4GB) Mushkin 998991
Video Card(s) Sapphire Tri-X OC R9 290X
Storage Samsung 1TB 850 Evo
Display(s) 3x Acer KG240A 144hz
Case CM HAF 932
Audio Device(s) ADI (onboard)
Power Supply Enermax Revolution 85+ 1050w
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Anyone ever change the device ID on their 5570 to that of a 5670?

I have one on the way and plan to test it out. I think I should work for a number of reasons:

1) They are same architecture. HD5xxx series
2) They are basically the same devices. 5570 is low profile, DDR3 vs DDR5 and a lower TPD specifically for HTPC's. Same amount of ram, lower clocks on GPU and DDR.

Why would I want to do this? Cause I read this article about the difference between a 5670 and a 5570, and how AMD forces off post processing on the 5570 when you enable "Smooth Video Playback". And I like to mess around with things and curious if it will work heh :)

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2935/3

I'm in the process of building a HTPC. Got my Origen AE S10V on the way, and have my preorder in for a Ceton InfiniTV 4 digital cable card tuner. I'm debating if I should use my old Q6600 quad core (since the tuner has 4 tuners, and I might be recording 4 channels at once), or buy a lower power, higher clocked core duo. Decisions decisions :?

How are you going to change the device id? Flash the card with the wrong bios? Better learn how to blind flash if you don't have a back up.

Btw, there are huge differences between gddr5 and ddr3 and a bios flash or device id change is not going to get around this.

You might as well try to change the device id/bios to a 5870. Would accomplish just as much.

Processor 9700K
Motherboard Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ac
Cooling Alpenfohn Black Ridge
Memory 32GB Micron VLP 18ADF2G72AZ-3G2E1
Video Card(s) 3090 FE
Display(s) Samsung G9 NEO
Case Formd T1
Power Supply Corsair SF750
The sameness ends with the power circuitry; 5570s appear to have less efficient designs that don't work so well at the 75W PCIe slot limit.

There's no need to flash the 5570 to a 5670:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3601/the-final-word-on-the-best-radeon-htpc-card

Radeon HD 5570: As we noted earlier, the 5570 original failed our Cheese Slices test. After AMD’s engineers looked in to it, it turns out that the drivers sampled with the card (ATI_8.69_RC3_Win7_Vista_Jan14) had a 5570-specific bug when ESVP was enabled. If you recall our review of the card, enabling ESVP would forcibly disable all post-processing and advanced deinterlacing features on the 5570, both internally and in the Catalyst Control Center itself. That was the bug – ESVP wasn’t supposed to be disabling anything.

AMD has since provided us with a newer build of their drivers (ATI_Win7_Vista_8.692RC2_Feb10, available from AMD here) which correct this issue. ESVP no longer blocks the operation of any post-processing features.

We went ahead and tested this driver in-depth, and the driver does indeed correct the issue. The 5570 is able to use all post-processing and advanced deinterlacing features with ESVP enabled and disabled. The quality was just as good as the 5670 (we would expect no less) and we found no evidence of the card dropping any frames.

Thus as far as we can tell, the 5570 is in fact the perfect Radeon HTPC card that we have been looking for. It’s the cheapest, smallest, and coolest running 5000-series card that can offer the full suite of post-processing abilities, and of course it has the 5000-series’s audio bitstreaming capabilities. Since the whole point of this exercise was to identify the lowest 5000-series card that was still perfect for HTPC use, we have found it. And the best part is it even fits in a low-profile case.

Thanks for posting this. This was the reason I was curious if changing the device ID would enable these features.

How are you going to change the device id? Flash the card with the wrong bios? Better learn how to blind flash if you don't have a back up.

Btw, there are huge differences between gddr5 and ddr3 and a bios flash or device id change is not going to get around this.

You might as well try to change the device id/bios to a 5870. Would accomplish just as much.

I never said flashing the card to the wrong bios. This is the RBE forums... it's pretty simple to edit device ID, and even vendor ID's, thanks to to RBE.

I think you misunderstood what my goal was. I was never trying to make my card into something it is not, just trick the drivers rather then editing .ini's, to edit features which seemed to be disabled for no reason. But as mkchiu was kind to point out, there is no need to, as the features that I was trying to gain are there by default, and was a bad driver used in the review.

PS. blind flashing isn't hard at all... there's many ways to fix a bad flash. can go the blind route using a batch file. Or you could put in PCI videocard. Most bios, or at least mine, have option to pick PCI or PCIe to initialize first. Or if need be, SPI programmer.

Last edited: