• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Khronos Drives Evolution of Cross-Platform 3D Graphics with Release of OpenGL 4.1

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
The Khronos Group today announced the immediate release of the OpenGL 4.1 specification, bringing the very latest graphics functionality to the most advanced and widely adopted cross-platform 2D and 3D graphics API (application programming interface). OpenGL 4.1 is the sixth update to OpenGL specification in two years, continuing the rapid evolution of this royalty-free specification. This new version continues to maintain full backwards compatibility to enable developers to begin using new features whenever they choose, while portably accessing state-of-the-art GPU functionality across diverse operating systems and platforms.

The OpenGL 4.1 specification has been defined by the OpenGL ARB (Architecture Review Board) working group at Khronos, and includes the GLSL 4.10 update to the OpenGL Shading language and is accompanied by a number of extensions introducing cutting-edge functionality to the OpenGL standard. The full specification is available for immediate download here.

New functionality in the core OpenGL 4.1 specification includes:
  • Full compatibility with OpenGL ES 2.0 APIs for easier porting between mobile and desktop platforms;
  • The ability to query and load a binary for shader program objects to save re-compilation time;
  • The capability to bind programs individually to programmable stages for programming flexibility;
  • 64-bit floating-point component vertex shader inputs for higher geometric precision;
    Multiple viewports for a rendering surface for increased rendering flexibility.

New ARB extensions introduced with OpenGL 4.1 include:
  • OpenGL sync objects linked to OpenCL event objects for enhanced OpenCL interoperability;
  • The ability to set stencil values in a fragment shader for enhanced rendering flexibility;
  • Features to improve robustness, for example when running WebGL applications;
  • Callback mechanisms to receive enhanced errors and warning messages.

Lastly, Khronos has simultaneously released a set of ARB extensions to enable as much OpenGL 4.1 core functionality as possible on previous generation GPU hardware; providing maximum flexibility and platform coverage for application developers.

"Khronos is methodically building their vision for pervasive developer access to cross-platform graphics, media and compute acceleration. The continued rapid-fire OpenGL evolution feeds high-end graphics innovation into that strategy," stated Dr. Jon Peddie founder and principal of Jon Peddie Research. "Just as significant as OpenGL 4.1's new 3D functionality are the ever closer links with OpenCL and OpenGL ES 2.0 - another significant step in strengthening the Khronos API ecosystem."

"The release of OpenGL 4.1 just five months after OpenGL 4.0 shows that collaborative innovation to build market opportunities for high-performance GPU acceleration is not slowing down. The ARB is also working hard to ensure backwards compatibility with each release so developers can absorb new functionality at their own pace," said Barthold Lichtenbelt, OpenGL ARB working group chair and senior manager Core OpenGL at NVIDIA. "I am also pleased to announce that NVIDIA will release OpenGL 4.1 production drivers on our developer site for all Fermi-based graphics accelerators, including the GeForce GTX 400 series, during SIGGRAPH. OpenGL 4.1 is not just a specification - it's here and now."

"AMD wishes to congratulate the ARB as it releases the OpenGL 4.1 Specification. AMD is committed to open standards and to OpenGL and plans to support OpenGL 4.1 in an upcoming driver release," said Ben Bar-Haim, corporate vice president, software at AMD. "The ability of the ARB to produce new and updated graphics standards at a regular cadence speaks volumes to their ongoing efforts to ensure healthy advances in the field of graphics, and AMD is proud to have contributed to this."

"Graphic Remedy is proud to be part of the Khronos OpenGL group, playing an important role in the definition of OpenGL's debugging and profiling features. We are excited about the release of OpenGL 4.1 and the new errors and warning mechanism," said Yaki Tebeka, CTO at Graphic Remedy. Graphic Remedy is committed to supporting the OpenGL developer community with gDEBugger GL, a professional OpenGL Debugger, Profiler and Memory analyzer; this solution helps companies and individuals make the most out of the OpenGL API, unleashing the rendering power exposed by current and future graphic hardware."

"We are very excited to see the release of OpenGL 4.1. New features, such as support for program binary loading and separate shader objects will be very valuable for TransGaming and other ISVs developing advanced graphics for games on OpenGL platforms," commented Gavriel State, Founder & CTO of TransGaming, Inc.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

HillBeast

System Name Kuja
Processor Intel Core i7 930
Motherboard Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
Cooling Corsair H50 HB.o Special Edition with Koolance CHC-122 NB Block
Memory OCZ Extreme Edition 4GB Dual Channel
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon 5870 Vapor-X Rev. 2
Storage 2x 1TB WD Green in RAID
Display(s) BenQ V2400W
Case Lian Li PC-A17 HB.o Special Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek 889A
Power Supply Gigabyte Odin Pro 800W
Software Windows 7 Professional
Benchmark Scores 93632 sysPoints in sysTest '09 47 FPS in Star Tales Benchmark
OpenGL is all well and good, but as usual I can see all the major developers will stick to DirectX 9/10/11 and if they do go for OpenGL, it will be in the future only to support Linux and ugh Macs.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
if openGL makes a good 3D engine, they may be able to take back some market share.

Benetanegia

OpenGL is all well and good, but as usual I can see all the major developers will stick to DirectX 9/10/11 and if they do go for OpenGL, it will be in the future only to support Linux and ugh Macs.

With the PS3 outselling the XB360 and the fact there's more Macs and Linux based computers, some multiplatform developers may decide to go with OpenGL, now that OpenGL did catch up in functionality. We can only hope...

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
System Name Tower of Power / Sechs
Processor i7 14700K / i7 5820k @ 4.5ghz
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming WiFi D4 / X99S GAMING 7
Cooling CM MasterLiquid ML360 Mirror ARGB Close-Loop AIO / CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Extreme
Memory CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600 / G.Skill DDR4 2800 16GB 4x4GB
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 4070 Ti / ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3070 V2 OC Edition
Storage 4x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2, 2x Crucial 1TB SSD / Samsung 870 PRO 500GB M.2
Display(s) Samsung 32" Odyssy G5 Gaming 144hz 1440p, ViewSonic 32" 72hz 1440p / 2x ViewSonic 32" 72hz 1440p
Case Phantek "400A" / Phanteks “Enthoo Pro series”
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC4080 / Azalia Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Corsair RM Series RM750 / Corsair CXM CX600M
Mouse Glorious Gaming Model D Wireless / Razer DeathAdder Chroma
Keyboard Glorious GMMK with box-white switches / Keychron K6 pro with blue swithes
VR HMD Quest 3 (128gb) + Rift S + HTC Vive + DK1
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 / Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Yes
This spells voodoo for dx... hehehe I miss my monster card! :cry: Wait I still have it.. hehehe :roll:

HillBeast

System Name Kuja
Processor Intel Core i7 930
Motherboard Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
Cooling Corsair H50 HB.o Special Edition with Koolance CHC-122 NB Block
Memory OCZ Extreme Edition 4GB Dual Channel
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon 5870 Vapor-X Rev. 2
Storage 2x 1TB WD Green in RAID
Display(s) BenQ V2400W
Case Lian Li PC-A17 HB.o Special Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek 889A
Power Supply Gigabyte Odin Pro 800W
Software Windows 7 Professional
Benchmark Scores 93632 sysPoints in sysTest '09 47 FPS in Star Tales Benchmark
With the PS3 outselling the XB360 and the fact there's more Macs and Linux based computers, some multiplatform developers may decide to go with OpenGL, now that OpenGL did catch up in functionality. We can only hope...

The main thing to consider is the engine developers and I'm 90% sure DX is easier to code for than OpenGL. If I were a code developer, I'd be going the easiest route and going with DirectX. I'm not against OpenGL at all, in fact it's very good, but I think DirectX will keep the majority foothold over everything for some time to come.

Benetanegia

The main thing to consider is the engine developers and I'm 90% sure DX is easier to code for than OpenGL. If I were a code developer, I'd be going the easiest route and going with DirectX. I'm not against OpenGL at all, in fact it's very good, but I think DirectX will keep the majority foothold over everything for some time to come.

Quite the opposite afaik. I am not a programer so I can just talk from what I read, and I always heard that OpenGL is easier to program for (and more potent), but more difficult to create drivers and optimize for. That was at least with OGL 2.0/3.0 vs DX9/10, maybe things have changed with DX11 and 4.1 (DX9 was already a good step in the right direction). Over the time both APIs have evolved, so I can only assume they are practically identical right now.

Because of that and the fact that it works in any platform except Xbox 360, OpenGL is in a clear theoretical advantage, but DX has the advantage in practice because it belongs to M$ and M$ always knows how to protect their things and how to corner everything else. Shame...

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Quite the opposite afaik. I am not a programer so I can just talk from what I read, and I always heard that OpenGL is easier to program for (and more potent), but more difficult to create drivers and optimize for. That was at least with OGL 2.0/3.0 vs DX9/10, maybe things have changed with DX11 and 4.1 (DX9 was already a good step in the right direction). Over the time both APIs have evolved, so I can only assume they are practically identical right now.

Because of that and the fact that it works in any platform except Xbox 360, OpenGL is in a clear theoretical advantage, but DX has the advantage in practice because it belongs to M$ and M$ always knows how to protect their things and how to corner everything else. Shame...

not to mention once you pay M$ for the licencing, they probably help you out a lot with the coding with ready to use examples and templates.

Benetanegia

not to mention once you pay M$ for the licencing, they probably help you out a lot with the coding with ready to use examples and templates.

It's a tie there too IMO. The community wins hands down when it comes to helping you out. Like I said I am not a programmer, but I did try to learn to program a simple engine so that I could show off my 3D creations*. You can get a lot of help in places like GameDev.net. You can ask almost everything and you get very good responses very quick (like in TPU but for programming). Heck, if you ask the right questions kindly, they will almost create the entire engine for you.

* I learnt the basics of both OpenGL and DX, and in the end I decided to go with OpenGL, because it looked easier and I was talked in that direction anyway. In the end it didn't work out because I found out that creating the interface and other parts was just as difficult and that optimizing anything was a pain in the ass, so I tried to modify OGRE with little success again. I still planned I would make something in the near future (maybe fooling myself), but then Unreal Development Kit was released for free and although it's not what I wanted it is useful to see some of my creations in 3D (it is much more than I wanted, being the problem that is not a small program I can carry everywhere and does not require installation).

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
It's a tie there too IMO. The community wins hands down when it comes to helping you out. Like I said I am not a programmer, but I did try to learn to program a simple engine so that I could show off my 3D creations*. You can get a lot of help in places like GameDev.net. You can ask almost everything and you get very good responses very quick (like in TPU but for programming). Heck, if you ask the right questions kindly, they will almost create the entire engine for you.

* I learnt the basics of both OpenGL and DX, and in the end I decided to go with OpenGL, because it looked easier and I was talked in that direction anyway. In the end it didn't work out because I found out that creating the interface and other parts was just as difficult and that optimizing anything was a pain in the ass, so I tried to modify OGRE with little success again. I still planned I would make something in the near future (maybe fooling myself), but then Unreal Development Kit was released for free and although it's not what I wanted it is useful to see some of my creations in 3D (it is much more than I wanted, being the problem that is not a small program I can carry everywhere and does not require installation).

that works for a home user, but hardly for a business.

Benetanegia

that works for a home user, but hardly for a business.

Well for bussinesses I suppose that Khronos helps too. I don't think there's any advantage going with DX, except that it's part of Windows. And biggest Windows advantage nowadays is that it runs more games than any other OS. That's why developers went with DX, not because it was better in any form. It's the way that M$ works and will always do in order to protect their bussiness and crush any competition before it's even true competition. They've been doing that for decades, with games, with internet...

IMO the future of gaming is in independent studios and that's what I was mostly refering to in my first post anyway. In any case the future belongs in the people who are not working for big companies yet, wheter they are working for an independent studio or they are still in the uni, I believe that OpenGL is the natural election for them right now. Just a couple of years ago OpenGL was not a good choice, because it had been "abandoned" and was behind technologically, but they are back on track.

Are you defending DX anyway? Considering your repulsion for PhysX, I'd have thought you would be inclined to support OpenGL (and ditching DX), because it's not restrictive to one platform. In the end PhysX at least is only restrictive to the GPU you buy and is your choice. DX is restrictive not only for the OS, but also the platform and you have no choice at all. If you want the games you have no option but Windows + x86. That really hurts both consumers and developers. It would be much easier for developers to create one engine and be able to use it on Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, consoles, smartphones... x86, PowerPC, ARM...