• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Creative Announces Sound Blaster X-Fi MB2 Software Suite

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Processor Intel 8700K @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32 GB Crucial Ballistix 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Display(s) Dell U2412M + Samsung TA350
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Samson Meteor Mic / Generic 2.1 / KRK KNS 6400 headset
Power Supply Zalman EBT-1000
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
also who needs 128 sounds seriously are you going to sit there and tell me you can distinguish between 128 different sounds hell 64 different sounds or 32 or 16 chances are slim that you can after about 20 sounds at once its just gonna sound like gibberish so ive never had any use what so ever for creatives sound cards that said. Other sound cards for HTPC usage or for better music playback i can understand when it comes to audiophiles. But that said if your willing to spend ALOT of time with an integrated Equalizer you can get some damn good sound to rival creatives garbage

Perseid

Processor i7-870
Motherboard ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
Cooling Coolermaster Hyper 212
Memory 2x OCZ Special Ops 2GB DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) 8-8-8-24
Video Card(s) Palit GTX 470
Storage Numerous 1.5 and 2 TB
Display(s) HP w2338h
Case NZXT Lexa S
Power Supply CORSAIR TX Series 950W
Software Windows 7
Especially if you're mixing 128 sounds through software. You don't need Creative's funky magic drivers to do that and it's going to eat the same amount of CPU either way.

also who needs 128 sounds seriously are you going to sit there and tell me you can distinguish between 128 different sounds hell 64 different sounds or 32 or 16 chances are slim that you can after about 20 sounds at once its just gonna sound like gibberish so ive never had any use what so ever for creatives sound cards that said. Other sound cards for HTPC usage or for better music playback i can understand when it comes to audiophiles. But that said if your willing to spend ALOT of time with an integrated Equalizer you can get some damn good sound to rival creatives garbage

That's what you think, but i know it better. There is a difference in terms of far more sounds going on at the same time with much less "pauses" in between. There used to be an old SB Live! demo showcasing Unreal with 16 and 32 sounds. It's the same effect in newer games.
However it's a much higher chance of hitting the limit in FPS games than in any others, because weapons them self use up many channels. Take L4D2 as an example.
Loads of zombies screaming, music rumbling in the background, 4 automatic rifles going on at the same time etc.

Also games are designed to use as much sounds as there are allowed by the soundcard.
So anything that goes beyond it's capability is simply clipped. Either the hard way by soundcard or the soft way by the game audio engine that plays only the global sounds (like music) and the sounds closest to player until the limit is reached. New games are mostly all capable of rendering 128 channels at once, it's all up to soundcard to render that. Or the CPU in which case the games will feel different even on quad cores. Like it's all sluggish during gameplay...

@perseid
Yes, but only in the X-Fi MB case. With proper hardware X-Fi chip, that's not the case.

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
Interesting move. It certainly reeks of Creative trying to pry cash from customers who realise that onboard sound hardware is just as good as most of their products.

Being "Creative", is certainly going to cost money. How much is the question.

No it isn't. That's not even debatable. Same features =/= same performance.

And what game released in the last year used eax or any of creatives so called features ?

Creative might as well stop making soundcards there stuff is junk, i bought the X-Fi- plat a while ago i have yet to see any game that it works properly in more less any games that support it.

In fact BF2 and BF 2142 touted xfi as a feature for the best sound which is why i bought it yet when enabled in game it sound great for the first 5 min then sounds start looping i can hear grenades blowing up from miles away and then it just turns into one big screeching cacophony of sound and crashes.

the only thing i do like is being able to upmix 2.0 to 5.1 when listing to music.

No probs in BFBC2 with X-Fi here.

Between the audiodg memory leak and cpu usage problems, the driver butchering for the Audigy series on Vista and later, and the recording problems (such as my microphone input sounding like I'm talking through a fan, this is a common problem too), I wouldn't even think about touching Creative with a 10 foot pole.

To Creative: GJ on releasing stuff that already existed. Next time you release something, I hope it's a fix for all the problems everyone's been having with your hardware.

We went over the Audiodg memory leak before. Ir seems to be more an issue with the programs accessing it than Creative's drivers. I have no mem leaks in mine at all, neither does anyone else I know.

No, no amount of eq or effects will make on-board sound better than a dedicated card.

All that said, this software is nothing more than gimmicks. It will not make your on-board magically more accurate or clean. X-Fi MB is crap.

SluggyJ

also who needs 128 sounds seriously are you going to sit there and tell me you can distinguish between 128 different sounds hell 64 different sounds or 32 or 16 chances are slim that you can after about 20 sounds at once its just gonna sound like gibberish
Well I read some were that to get a realistic sound for say a shot gun in a game takes about 8 sounds to create... Anyway I thought My Create X-fi plat was great, I absolutely loved it and would recommend it to anyone until Windows Vista came out and Microsoft decided to change the way there sound model worked... my games was never the same again and alchemy never really worked properly, I sold my X-fi and stayed with onboard, Since the Microsoft change its sound model Creative have not been able to bounce back

That's just loads of rubbish. Only ALchemy works properly and all the other stuff like GX mode on ASUS cards works on every 5th game. As for ALchemy, i know only ione game that doesn't like it.
I've had Xonar Essence STX and as much as i liked it's overall quality, i hated it's rubbishness in games.

Processor C2D E8400@3.9GHz (488x8, 1.4v :( )
Motherboard Abit IP35-E
Cooling Thermaltake Sonic Tower+120mm fan
Memory 2GB kingmax ddr1066@976MHz 5-5-5-15
Video Card(s) Radeon X1800GTO @700/1400MHz with Accelero S1+Glacialtech fancard
Storage 2xSeagate Barracuda 7200.10 160GB
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 793s... just you laugh...
Case some Aplus case
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC888
Power Supply Chieftec 450W
Software Win7 x64
All in all - hardware = speed & quality (if you set it up properly, i know many people who have messed up their sound totally with the damned eq and other crap drivers offer :banghead:)
- software = "cool" soundin' FX :rolleyes: (almost any full fledged audiophile would start spitting all over the place, cursing the freaking compressors and eq effects - it's no longer the original sound, the way it's supposed to sound)

X-Fi MB = one big no no imho. :D

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
We went over the Audiodg memory leak before. Ir seems to be more an issue with the programs accessing it than Creative's drivers. I have no mem leaks in mine at all, neither does anyone else I know.

I know of two other people, who just happen to be the only two people I know in real life that have X-Fi cards, that have had the memory leak issues. That and half the internet having the issues along with them. Creative's official solution as of now? Disable the enhancements! Cripple your card by disabling the features that are causing the problem!

There are so many applications that cause these issues. I know of Ventrilo for myself, but I have also heard of people complaining that playing music causes it, and even L4D2... with so many applications having the same problem on Creative's hardware, but not on anyone else's, it seems to me that the problem is on Creative's part and it's up to them to fix it.

So there's my explination about the memory leak problems. Even expunging that from my argument, there's still the driver butchering for the Audigy series and the recording problems to worry about.

Funny. This is my second X-Fi card (used to have X-Fi XtremeMusic and now X-Fi Forte) and they both work flawlessly. They have occasional glitches here and there, but those are isolated non repeatable problems that happened on every product out there.

@D4S4
Actually, X-Fi MB is great for netbooks. You have a crappy i945 audio where X-Fi features make it a bit better.

Motherboard Abit IP35-E
Case some Aplus case
Software Win7 x64
Yeah, i forgot about that... My focus were desktops. Anyhow, i can imagine that software eatin up netbook's battery if it's so processor hungy... :shadedshu

good ol mp3 player FTW :toast:

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Processor Intel 8700K @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32 GB Crucial Ballistix 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Display(s) Dell U2412M + Samsung TA350
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Samson Meteor Mic / Generic 2.1 / KRK KNS 6400 headset
Power Supply Zalman EBT-1000
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
as i said wile e i can understand using some sound cards that are on the market creatives offerings on the other hand just dont cut it anymore my main point being no one has the ability to distinquish 128 simulatneous sounds from EAX etc making that a giant gimmick and this mb software probably still can do EAX properly when emulated making it a still broken seldom used feature. Now as i previously mentioned some sound cards are usefull for those whom are audiophiles and need that extra clarity but theres certainly far better choices for that than anything creative has.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950x, Ryzen 9 5980HX
Motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4(With Noctua Fans)
Memory 32Gb Crucial 3600 Ballistix
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3080, Asus 6800M
Storage Adata SX8200 1TB NVME/WD Black 1TB NVME
Display(s) Dell 27 Inch 165Hz
Case Phanteks P500A
Audio Device(s) IFI Zen Dac/JDS Labs Atom+/SMSL Amp+Rivers Audio
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G502 SE Hero
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Mk.2
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey Plus
Software Windows 10
well after using audigy mb, x-fi mb and trustudio, I would say its not worth the time, in most cases, the only real reason to buy it is for crystalizer and thats iffy, some people hate it some people like it, and if you want to buy it for gaming, its still not worth it, for some notebooks it might be good considering that the add in cards for notebooks made by creative will alot of time not let you use your speakers, and you have to use the headphone jack on the card, making the MB your only alternative..

I would like to see creative make a comeback though, I was thinking why they don't try to make a partnership with AMD or Nvidia to get X-Fi running on the codecs integrated in their gpu's, I wouldn't buy it but alot of people who don't know any better would and they can make a lot of money, it should be possible too.

hat

Enthusiast
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Benchmark Scores >9000
Funny. This is my second X-Fi card (used to have X-Fi XtremeMusic and now X-Fi Forte) and they both work flawlessly. They have occasional glitches here and there, but those are isolated non repeatable problems that happened on every product out there.

@D4S4
Actually, X-Fi MB is great for netbooks. You have a crappy i945 audio where X-Fi features make it a bit better.

Not sure about the X-Fi series, but the microphone choppiness I described before is another common problem, something about the Audigy series not having proper 64 bit support if I recall correctly. Inb4 "check your mic", because the mic works perfectly with onboard, and the "What U Hear" function would also record in this choppy fashion, the same way the mic did.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Not sure about the X-Fi series, but the microphone choppiness I described before is another common problem, something about the Audigy series not having proper 64 bit support if I recall correctly. Inb4 "check your mic", because the mic works perfectly with onboard, and the "What U Hear" function would also record in this choppy fashion, the same way the mic did.

you arent making it up, i get the same problems with my SB live 5.1! and audigy cards. either the mic is very choppy and stuttery (or just full of static)... but it works fine on every non creative card, and in XP on the creative cards.

creative only make things work on their latest hardware - if you've had trouble free times with creative, just wait. you'll run into the shit sooner or later.

I'm not using Mic, but if What U Hear exhibits the same problem, i don't have one, because the sound is perfectly fine. As far as i was recording video from games using Fraps and a What U Hear to capture game sound.

hat

Enthusiast
Benchmark Scores >9000
You don't have a Creative card...

Then what it is? It has an X-Fi chip, only thing that doesn't share with it are opamp/DAC/high end capacitors and other similar stuff that only affects sound quality but not sound features offered by the core processor. Essentially it's a Titanium card with higher grade components, nothing else. I also had real Creative made X-Fi (Xtreme Music) that worked flawlessly. But that one was on PCI bus.

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro
Cooling AiO 240mm
Memory 2x 32GB Kingston Fury Beast 3600MHz CL18
Video Card(s) Radeon RX 6900XT Reference (amd.com)
Storage O.S.: 256GB SATA | 2x 1TB SanDisk SSD SATA Data | Games: 1TB Samsung 970 Evo
Display(s) LG 34" UWQHD
Audio Device(s) X-Fi XtremeMusic + Gigaworks SB750 7.1 THX
Power Supply XFX 850W
Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless
VR HMD Lenovo Explorer
Software Windows 10 64bit
Wow, Creative bashing season is now open. Again.

Now we see people complaining about their 12 year-old soundcards not working correctly in current operating systems.

I wonder why we never see people bashing nVidia because their Riva TNT doesn't work with Windows 7 64bit.

hat

Enthusiast
Benchmark Scores >9000
Wow, Creative bashing season is now open. Again.

Now we see people complaining about their 12 year-old soundcards not working correctly in current operating systems.

I wonder why we never see people bashing nVidia because their Riva TNT doesn't work with Windows 7 64bit.

Fair enough. What about the audiodg issues then?

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro
Cooling AiO 240mm
Memory 2x 32GB Kingston Fury Beast 3600MHz CL18
Video Card(s) Radeon RX 6900XT Reference (amd.com)
Storage O.S.: 256GB SATA | 2x 1TB SanDisk SSD SATA Data | Games: 1TB Samsung 970 Evo
Display(s) LG 34" UWQHD
Audio Device(s) X-Fi XtremeMusic + Gigaworks SB750 7.1 THX
Power Supply XFX 850W
Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless
VR HMD Lenovo Explorer
Software Windows 10 64bit
even more proof that all the fancy features creative claim are hardware driven on their cards, are really just software and driver tweaks.

strangely, the link given at the end of the post doesnt mention X-fi MB2 at all - just the original

All the "fancy features" are made through hardware indeed.

But like pretty much everything in computing, the features can be run in software mode.

The difference is that 5 years ago (when the original X-Fi was released) we had the Athlon 64 X2 @ 1600Mhz and the dual Pentium 4 @ 2GHz.
All the features couldn't run through software mode without a substantial performance hit.

Nowadays the CPUs are 5x faster and the performance hit is now negligible. Therefore, using a dedicated sound chip for sound processing isn't really needed any more.

Do you have any doubts that an i7 runs Quake 2 in software mode a lot faster than a Voodoo 2 in hardware mode?

hat

Enthusiast
Benchmark Scores >9000
True, but 5 years ago, we were playing games that were from 5 years ago. Hardware grows more powerful, but the software becomes more resource hungry as well.

Motherboard Abit IP35-E
Case some Aplus case
Software Win7 x64
I still like dedicated hardware much more. Either do it properly or don't do it at all.

btw - i can't wait for sound fx processed by the gpu - i bet some company has it under development :rolleyes:

Actually it has been aleady done on GPU. I just don't remember what was he exact deal, but i know it was accelerated by GPU.

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
as i said wile e i can understand using some sound cards that are on the market creatives offerings on the other hand just dont cut it anymore my main point being no one has the ability to distinquish 128 simulatneous sounds from EAX etc making that a giant gimmick and this mb software probably still can do EAX properly when emulated making it a still broken seldom used feature. Now as i previously mentioned some sound cards are usefull for those whom are audiophiles and need that extra clarity but theres certainly far better choices for that than anything creative has.

You can't distinguish 128 individual voices, no, but you can damn sure hear a clear difference between 64 and 128, even tho you can't single out every individual sound. 128 voices fills out the sound a hell of a lot more.

As far as audio quality, there's no better choice than a Forte in it's price range. Not only does it sound as good or better than all the others in the range, it has more features, and can use those Creative effects for the rare occasions they are still in use.