• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Scores Key Design Win on Apple Products, New iMac & Mac Pro Powered by ATI Radeon

de.das.dude

Pro Indian Modder
System Name Monke | Work Thinkpad| Old Monke
Processor Ryzen 5600X | Ryzen 5500U | FX8320
Motherboard ASRock B550 Extreme4 | ? | Asrock 990FX Extreme 4
Cooling 240mm Rad | Not needed | hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 Corsair RGB | 16 GB DDR4 3600 | 16GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX6700XT 12GB | Vega 8 | Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB
Storage Samsung 980 nvme (Primary) | some samsung SSD
Display(s) Dell 2723DS | Some 14" 1080p 98%sRGB IPS | Dell 2240L
Case Ant Esports Tempered case | Thinkpad | Antec
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 | Jabra corpo stuff
Power Supply Corsair RM750e | not needed | Corsair GS 600
Mouse Logitech G400 | nipple
Keyboard Logitech G213 | stock kb is awesome | Logitech K230
VR HMD ;_;
Software Windows 10 Professional x3
Benchmark Scores There are no marks on my bench
Well they wouldn't need to create new "special" drivers for Apple if they would be so up tight about controlling everything about everything. I get why they do it and in shows in the quality work they do with design, implementation, and UI (which is honestly a little too simple at times).

Setting that all aside, the reason this is an "Apple tax" and why the term applies to non-Apple hardware is because they are going to write the drivers with AMD/ATI's help, because they don't want a 3rd party writing drivers for their stuff. I think that senario is backwards. Why can't they just test and certify the drivers like Windows does. Why does it have to be re-engineered from the ground up using Apple based code and software? They did it to Nvidia and is the primary reason why the cards run at 25% power when Valve ported over Steam. I hope they have worked out that kink by now, cause that was just plain bad all around. Valve, Apple, and Nvidia dropped the ball on that one.

Well I hope that Valve, ATI, and Apple will remember to test the system before releasing it to the public or people will be back in the same $^it creek again.

They have to to write drivers just for Apple. A default installation of Mac OS X does not have X11.

leonard_222003

System Name Home
Processor Q6600 @ 3300
Motherboard Gigabyte p31 ds3l
Cooling TRUE Intel Edition
Memory 4 gb x 800 mhz
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 560
Storage WD 1x250 gb Seagate 2x 1tb
Display(s) samsung T220
Case no name
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply chieftec 550w
Software Windows 7 64
“Apple buyers demand the best, and AMD’s award-winning ATI Radeon graphics enable exceptional visual experiences for iMac users,” said Matt Skynner

Translating the bullshit , AMD was much cheaper and we went with them , sure we could've went with Nvidia and enable some Cuda bullshit for some Adobe video edititing software and maybe even Final Cut Pro but who cares when we can have the cheap AMD/ATI deal.
Because of the obvious thing Apple do i will never ever buy something from them , not even an iphone.

D

Deleted member 67555

Hmmm..
Anyone else think it's Funny that Steam Recently Started and Apple section and then this:eek:
It's like Apple is looking for a little game action sales too

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Rog b450-f
Cooling Cooler master 120mm aio
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3x 3070
Storage 2tb intel nvme and 2tb generic ssd
Display(s) Generic dell 1080p overclocked to 75hz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Power Supply 650w of borderline fire hazard
Mouse Some wierd Chinese vertical mouse
Keyboard Generic mechanical keyboard
Software Windows ten
Translating the bullshit , AMD was much cheaper and we went with them , sure we could've went with Nvidia and enable some Cuda bullshit for some Adobe video edititing software and maybe even Final Cut Pro but who cares when we can

AHhh no matter, already Stream plug-ins for that I believe.

Processor Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX 1.1
Cooling Noctua NB-U12A
Memory 2x 32GB Fury DDR4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 5700 XT Red Dragon
Storage Kingston FURY Renegade 2TB PCIe 4.0
Display(s) 2x Dell U2412M
Case Phanteks P400A
Audio Device(s) Hifimediy Sabre 9018 USB DAC
Power Supply Corsair AX850 (from 2012)
Software Windows 10?
Actually some of the hottest running iMacs ever had ATI boards. Ones with higher failure rates too. But this was mostly due to Apple cramming hotter running chips into machines already burdened with other high end parts. This gen we are only seeing up to 5750. Why 5770 was excluded is likely because Apple learned from the past high failure rates of how much the design could really take. Likely Apple went all ATI this round because NV doesn't have all their 4 series parts in order yet.

Apple jumps from maker to maker often so this really isn't like an exclusivity agreement. If NV would have had its act together, you'd prolly have seen some NV parts used.

Apple users really aren't the only stupid ones when it comes to using low end hardware. If the general PC user had half a brain, Intel wouldn't be in the GPU business. Apple used to use Intel only graphics early on in the switch. I warned people not to buy them but in a frenzy they did anyways. Short time later, everyone comes crying that they can't run their apps on GMA crap chips. Think 2 gens later, Apple dumps GMA out of their low ends then makes a fuss about low end users finally getting the basic performance they wanted. Pretty obvious ppl were not wanting Intel and Apple heeded that.

Sadly Apple is well known for not using the best graphics tech possible when available, which is odd when they use such higher end CPUs. For being a company that was so heavy in graphics and artists, they really don't give them the best tools to work with.
lul not higher than nvidia, why? bumpgate fiasco!

System Name NEW
Processor Intel 4770 non-K
Motherboard Gigabyte H81M-DS2V
Cooling CM Hyper 212 plus
Memory 16gb Muskin
Video Card(s) XFX 380X 4gb
Storage Sandisk 120gb plus WD blue 1tb
Display(s) AOC 23.5 LED bl
Case XIGMATEK
Audio Device(s) motherboard
Power Supply Cooler Master 500
They wont use their CPU's but the stupid f%$&ers will use their GPU's.

Man I hate that company and everything it stands for.

I wish AMD would have told them to get screwed

System Name ODIN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Memory G Skill RipjawsV F4 3600 Mhz C16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC LHR
Storage Crucial 2 TB M.2 SSD :: WD Blue M.2 1TB SSD :: 1 TB WD Black VelociRaptor
Display(s) Dell S2716DG 27" 144 Hz G-SYNC
Case Fractal Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio
Power Supply Antec HCP 850 80+ Gold
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Lux
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores I don't benchmark.
They wont use their CPU's but the stupid f%$&ers will use their GPU's.

Man I hate that company and everything it stands for.

I wish AMD would have told them to get screwed

This is exactly what AMD needed. This will be the push to get this into an actual profit margin this half. I look forward to the reports.

W

wahdangun

wow, i never know there are people that will blindly hate apple, its their choice to use overpriced hardware, so please don't bash AMD for being chosen by apple to be used in their hardware, instead we must thank them because ati can overcharge them and earn more profit so amd can have more money for their RnD