• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA forums: people get banned over 8800 & XP64 issue

randomperson21

Processor AMD Athlon64 X2 3800+ @ 2.4Ghz
Motherboard ECS NForce4 A-939
Cooling CPU: Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu GFX: Zalman VF-700AlCu, 2x120mm+5x80mm w/ Ultra 7ch Fan Controller
Memory Kingston 2x512MB DDR PC3200 Dual Channel 3-3-3-8
Video Card(s) EVGA Nvidia 7900GT KO Superclocked
Storage 2xSeagate Barracuda 7200.8/9 160GB SATAII NCQ in RAID0: 300GB total capacity
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 941BW (19" widescreen, 1440x900)
Case Antec P180B
Audio Device(s) Built in. 5.1Ch Logitech Z-5500 500w soundsystem, digital Coax connection
Power Supply Spire 500W
Software Windows Vista Ultimate
you know, if you checked nvidia's website first, you would have seen that they don't have x64 drivers. then you wouldn't even have this problem.

and the 8800 just came out a few months ago. you can't expect support for everything right off the bat. and it makes more sense for them to create a linux driver first, more people use linux than winxp x64. either go and return it, or just wait until the drivers come out. but stop griping.

KrayLoN

ITs me.... the NVIDIA lawsuit banned guy that started it

Hey man... i can't believe it. I am glad that post (although up for only a few) got some attention.

SO... A LOT has happened since my last post other than being banned.

I talked with NVIDIA... started with a peon customer tech, who's official standing was "we'll have the drivers out in January" .... my immediate response was "stop telling me what they told you to tell me, and give me some real answers and if you can't do that...escalate this call now....just don't waste my time. "

My next step was talking to the supervisor... who...also didn't have any answers... except the same circular references to "BUT IT IS A DX10 VISTA CARD... ist just the drivers won't be until Vista is available off the shelf"

My reply: "If i go to court today and show the judge my legal copy of VIsta from Microsoft (which is not beta and availalbe to MS partners to download with a valid key as of 11-16), and i show them the box and the web pages (which i downloaded and kept a copy of), and i show them it doesn't work (which without drivers it doesnt)... WHAT PROOF Do you have other than your "WORD" that it works????

BIG LONG SILENCE.....

Well.. i hope your catching my drift. I said.. "if you can't help me, show me who can. I said...give me a beta driver, give me an alpha driver or give me a coupon for $150.00 off my next video card from Nvidia, but don't sit there and tell me that your company has decided to tell your consumer ... ha ha we got your money, your screwed till January... cause that isn't going to fly"

BIG LONG PAUSE AGAIN....

"Well sir, i am sorry....that is obviously not what we want to tell our customers... let me see what i can do to make you feel better about this."

my reply: "Well lets because i'll tell you right now, i am not waiting till January to find out if i wasted $650.00" I'll be calm and work with you ... Lets work together... I'll give you a couple of days to make me feel like i didn't waste $650.00. Whatever the outcome is... as long as i feel i didn't waste my money.... your comany will be fine... otherwise, my next call will be to a lawyer, my second step will be a call to the media, and my third step will be to send all that info to PC magazines everywhere...."

His reply: Well.... okay... I will see what i can do to get this resolved"

My Reply: "okay thats good, do you have something to write on? Here is my contact info (gave info)... when can i expect to get a response from you?"

His Reply: "Welll i am not sure exactly what time span it can take"

MY reply: How bout you give me a call back in 24 hours with a follow up call either way...

His reply: okay.... i can do that...

My reply: Good... i'll be waiting to here back from you...

SO thats how it ended....

I'll let you all know what i find out....

KrayLoN

Slap me

p.S. did i mention i was an AVID ATI fan... and this is what i get for switching to the Dark Side!?!?! i had the X1900XTX and the X1900 Master Card with the ASUS A8r32-MVP mobo so my crossfire was working perfectly... CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT MY 3DMARK score is only 213 points more with this damned 8800 GTX??!?!?

OH YEAH believe it... i can post pics of my scores to prove it. The 8800 is very CPU intensive so all those 10000+ 3dmark06 scores can be given credit to the DUAL CORE INTEL CHIPS and NOT the NVIDIA 8800....

BTW... www.firingsquad.com did a review using the AMD64 chips and you will see that the 8800 only got a score of 8600 on 3dmark06....

I have a 3dmark06 score with no overclocking of 8442 with my X1900 Crossfire setup (not x1950) ...

I have a 3dmark06 score of 8654 with no overclocking with the 8800 GTX

So you can see... the only ONLY ONLY reason i bought this card... was to see what VISTA can do... NOT to gain performance....

WHOOPIE... i gained 200 points in 3dmark06 and spent $650.00 to do it.

Here is the best part... Today ... at DELL... you can buy the XFX version of the GTX for only 561.00... so yeah... i could have saved $100.00 if i had just waited... by January i am going to want to shoot myself for buying this card....

ATIonion

its like an automated system maken his posts.....he looks right past what people tell him like he did even read it...lmao...someone close this please...lol:rockout:

KrayLoN

Hi

This market bs isnt wanted here....you were banned? Just take the hint then....

I am not here to do any market bs.... not at all.

There are a lot of people who bought this card, seems like Nvidia is keeping those people quiet. It is not right. I am glad there are forums out there.

yes... i was banned but because my first post on an NVIDIA forum was seeing how many people were mad at them for their marketing stunt.

That is not my intention here.

I just noticed that this post was related and thought i would chime in.

If you think i am saying anything that is out of line, Let me know... I will delete or change or edit my post.

i am not a butthead. I am not a whiner. I am 29, married, have a kid, very responsible consumer. I am also a certfied A+ tech and a Microsoft Certified System Engineer... i wouldn't just flame a company for no reason.

I don't like being mislead. I am a peacful guy...anyone who knows me personally can vouch for that.... but i also stand for what is right.

Maybe my approach was wrong... but...i was soo upset that day. I just wanted to get back at them for making me feel like a complete fool

A lot of people think that i am whining... and thats not it... there is a HUGE impact to what they did. THey basically got peoeple to impulse buy knowing that Microsoft was releasing Vista to RTM. Look at the Release date of the 8800. It was released Nov 8. Microsoft announced they were releasing Vista to Manufacturing on NOV 7th and there was a message on their partner sites that Vista would be available to download 7 days after the RTM date... which it was available from Nov 16 onwards.... so I have to believe that Nvidia knew what they were doing.... or at least their marketing department knew what they were doing.

Anyways... can you imaging being a sofware or design company that bought this card to do testing to develope a product intime for Vista's release? Lets say that money was allocated, project plans put in place, people hired... all based on the fact that the company would finally have a card to do Vista graphical testing? .... can you imaging buying these oinly to find out... it doesn't really work and that now the project and money/time allocated to it is down the toilet for another 2 months???

Yeah.. to a person like me... maybe it is just a hit on the wallet for about $650.00 but to anther person... it may have ment a lot more and they should have at least HEARD what their consumers had to say even if it wasn't want they wanted to hear.

KrayLoN

P.S to the admins... if i was wrong to post, i appologize. I am not trying to flame anyone or anything over here. So this will be my last post to this subject.

Shyska

Processor AMD Athlon64 3000+ Venice @2.5GHz
Motherboard Asus A8N-E :(this board limits my cpu overclock ):
Cooling CPU box, GPU Zalman VF700-Cu
Memory 2x512MB PC3200 @227MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire X850XT 256MB PCI-E @ 605/618
Storage 40GB & 120GB Maxtors
Power Supply Generic 400W
Software Windows XP Pro SP2 | Debian GNU/Linux <sarge>
Well, I'm glad someone is taking this serious and making them sweat a little bit - that will make them more responsible in the future.

randomperson21

Cooling CPU: Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu GFX: Zalman VF-700AlCu, 2x120mm+5x80mm w/ Ultra 7ch Fan Controller
Storage 2xSeagate Barracuda 7200.8/9 160GB SATAII NCQ in RAID0: 300GB total capacity
Case Antec P180B
Audio Device(s) Built in. 5.1Ch Logitech Z-5500 500w soundsystem, digital Coax connection
Power Supply Spire 500W
dear god stop complaining! its your own darn fault if you bought a card that isn't compatible with your system. all it takes is a 5 minute check on nvidia's website to figure that out. and of course they don't have vista drivers ready, they just started shipping vista to oem's this month. so your copy is either illegal or beta. or just freaking switch to xp pro 32bit.
but i'm tired of hearing this griping "it doesn't support this, it doesn't support that, it doesn't support this OS that isn't even OFFICIALLY RELEASED yet." Its not just a nvidia problem, but i'm sure ati's going to have some driver issues when r600 comes out. just sit tight for a month or two to get drivers, switch os's, or just return the card. stop complaining.

oh yeah, and yelling at techs isn't going to help anything. do you think they have authorization to give you a beta driver, even if they had one? or a discount? i'm sure.

DOM

Processor Intel i7 4770K
Motherboard Asrock
Cooling Water
Memory Team Xtreem LV 16GB (2x8GB)
Video Card(s) EK Full WB HD7970
Display(s) CROSSOVER 27Q LED-P 27"
Case Danger Den Torture Rack
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX1200
Software W 10 Pro
dear god stop complaining! its your own darn fault if you bought a card that isn't compatible with your system. all it takes is a 5 minute check on nvidia's website to figure that out. and of course they don't have vista drivers ready, they just started shipping vista to oem's this month. so your copy is either illegal or beta. or just freaking switch to xp pro 32bit.
but i'm tired of hearing this griping "it doesn't support this, it doesn't support that, it doesn't support this OS that isn't even OFFICIALLY RELEASED yet." Its not just a nvidia problem, but i'm sure ati's going to have some driver issues when r600 comes out. just sit tight for a month or two to get drivers, switch os's, or just return the card. stop complaining.

oh yeah, and yelling at techs isn't going to help anything. do you think they have authorization to give you a beta driver, even if they had one? or a discount? i'm sure.

if you dont like it dont keep on reading it

Shyska

Processor AMD Athlon64 3000+ Venice @2.5GHz
Motherboard Asus A8N-E :(this board limits my cpu overclock ):
Cooling CPU box, GPU Zalman VF700-Cu
Memory 2x512MB PC3200 @227MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire X850XT 256MB PCI-E @ 605/618
Storage 40GB & 120GB Maxtors
Power Supply Generic 400W
Software Windows XP Pro SP2 | Debian GNU/Linux <sarge>

Commenting on someone's post without even reading it is totally :banghead:

Crisao23

My copy of Vista is completely legal. I'm an official MS beta tester as thousands of people and MSDN users who already use Vista as a primary OS.

randomperson21

Case Antec P180B
Power Supply Spire 500W
i did read the posts. and while "thousands" of people may use vista as a primary OS, tens of millions use xp. now, where's the greater demand?

and i'm pretty much 100% sure that the copy thru msdn is still beta2, provided vista business just launched yesterday.

KrayLoN

Update

I know i said i wouldn't post in this topic.... BUT...

Okay about the whole Vista not being legal beta thing...don't take my word for it. Do a google search on Vista RTM (Release to manufacturing) version. You'll see its been out for several weeks and is available to MSDN or Microsoft Partners. There is no difference between it and the version that was "release to manufacturing" which means the ISO they gave the company they hired to mass produce Vista. PS...you need a fricken DVD to install it cause it is a massive OS.

Anyways... the update. I got a call from The head engineer at Nvidia Headquarters. He attends meetings with Nvidia's head of marketing as well as other departments. He was more than pleasant to talk to and completely understood my concern.

If you look at the "FAQ" page on Nvidia's site under the 8800 Series cards, it does say now that Drivers for Vista will not be release until Vista is publicly release in January. This change was made by him because of complaints he had already recieved.

After talking to me he discovered that the boxes the resellers are producing are saying "VISTA READY." I explained to him how that could be very misleading. I said even if it had said "Ready for Vista Release" it wouldn't be as bad as VISTA READY which sounds like it is Ready to go on Vista now. After hearing me even he agreed and saw how it could be very misleading and said he is going to bring it up to the marketing department to contact their resellers to suggest changing the wording.

I also suggested that in the Products section of the 8800 Series cards on their website. their should be an " * The drivers for VISTA will not be availabe until VISTA is released to the public in JAN 2007" So that people going to the website can see this information right away without having to click and dig for the info. He thought it was also a very good suggestion. He was very appolagetic and said that Nvidia merely provides the chips to the resellers who makes the boards. He said that they do not make any "NVIDIA" branded boards like ATI does.

he said that i should also take my concerns to EVGA about the way they have packaged the product. He said that a lot of companies decided to make one packaging to last the lifetime of the product without thinking about whether the OS is even available. I told him, thats fine but that the VISTA READY Certified product sticker was on the clear plastic wrap which they could have kept from putting on until January.

In any case, he said that i should check the website in a couple of days and the changes should be there to prove that he is not just pulling my chain and that the suggestions i gave him have been very helpful.

On a brighter note he said the beta drivers will become available prior to January but even they don't have those developed yet. The only drivers they have are alpha drivers which the pass on to developers who have signed up on their developer's club list or whatever they call it. You have to apply... there is no fee, but you have to prove you are a software developer that would benefit from having the driver and info sooner than anyone else. In any case he said that Crysis has a copy of the alpha drivers and is testing them right now.

So thats the progress i made.

In the grand scheme of things I am very happy with the results. I am not looking for monitary gain... but just to be heard and for a company who sells a product to do the right thing. Hope you guy read this and learn... it never hurts to speak up or voice your concern or stand up for what you beleive is right.

There are a lot of people in history that died to give us the freedom to speak out. Don't just sit by and take it up the YOU KNOW WHAT just because you feel you are one person.

Remember... ONE MAN CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE - Knight Rider....

Processor Ryzen 1600AF @4.2Ghz 1.35v
Motherboard MSI B450M PRO-A-MAX
Cooling Deepcool Gammaxx L120t
Memory 16GB Team Group Dark Pro Sammy-B-die 3400mhz 14.15.14.30-1.4v
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600 XT THICC II PRO
Storage 240GB Brave eagle SSD/ 2TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) Dell SE2719HR
Case MSI Mag Vampiric 011C AMD Ryzen Edition
Power Supply EVGA 600W 80+
Software Windows 10 Pro
Wow you need to learn to use some punctuation when you write things, it is difficult to wade through your ramblings without it.

About the whole Nvidia/XP64 issue, thats pretty lame. But flaming them for no support when the product is new is a bit over the top, you are using an OS with a very small installed user base, Nvidia is probably still working out the bugs for XP 32 bit. Banning you from their forums was probably not necessary, but I suspect you have left out some details (spamming complaint threads?).

i agree xp64 has a small user base but in my case this is BECAUSE of the lack of support/drivers from many companies, 1 big culprit being modems etc if it wasnt for the s*it driver support for xp64 i would be using it now( makes sense i have a 64bit processor why wouldnt i want the os to go with? ), unfortunatly although nvidia are guilty of writing xp64 users off and being heavy handed in there forums i think the real culprit is M$ for even bringing out that pos xp64 they dropped the ball with it big time and when they finally got a decent working copy companies didnt want to bother because vista was just round the corner.

another thing calling him over the top because ther is no support for a new product whats that about, i dnt care what product it is you should still have the same level of professionalism and support from such a big name in the gpu industry no matter what.

buster2010

after spending that much for a card and it's not working with the 64 bit i would have tried to reach through the screen to grab those guys for banning just for asking a question. but i hope this helps but guru3d has a beta 64bit driver for the 8800 series i didn't see anywhere that you had tried the beta driver