• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel to Acquire Infineon's Wireless Solutions Business

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Infineon Technologies AG and Intel Corporation have entered into a definitive agreement to transfer Infineon's Wireless Solutions (WLS) business to Intel in a cash transaction valued at approximately $1.4 billion.

WLS, a leading provider of cellular platforms to top tier global phone makers, will operate as a standalone business serving its existing customers. WLS will also contribute to Intel's strategy to make connected computing ubiquitous from smartphones to laptops to embedded computing.

"The global demand for wireless solutions continues to grow at an extraordinary rate," said Paul Otellini, Intel president and CEO. "The acquisition of Infineon's WLS business strengthens the second pillar of our computing strategy -- Internet connectivity -- and enables us to offer a portfolio of products that covers the full range of wireless options from Wi-Fi and 3G to WiMAX and LTE. As more devices compute and connect to the Internet, we are committed to positioning Intel to take advantage of the growth potential in every computing segment, from laptops to handhelds and beyond."

"The sale of WLS is a strategic decision to enhance Infineon's value. We can now fully concentrate our resources towards strong growth in our core segments Automotive (ATV), Industrial & Multimarket (IMM) and Chip Card & Security (CCS). This creates a great perspective for all Infineon customers, employees and shareholders," said Peter Bauer, CEO of Infineon Technologies AG. "We all stand to benefit enormously from this deal. Thanks to the outstanding effort of the employees and the management during the last years, WLS is excellently positioned to grow further with the new owner who is ideally suited for this business."

The WLS transaction is a strategic decision for Intel and Infineon. WLS complements Intel's existing assets and enables growth in mobile computing, smartphones and embedded computing. Infineon will benefit from this by stronger addressing three central challenges to modern society - energy efficiency, mobility and security.

Intel's goal is to expand its mobile and embedded product offerings to support additional customers and market segments, including smartphones, tablets, netbooks, notebooks and embedded computing devices. Through this effort, Intel will pair WLS' best-in-class cellular technology with its core strengths to enable the delivery of low-power, Intel-based platforms that combine its applications processor with an expanded portfolio of wireless options -- bringing together Intel's leadership in Wi-Fi and WiMAX with WLS' leadership in 2G and 3G, and a combined path to accelerate 4G LTE.

Intel expects WLS to continue growing, and remaining a standalone business to ensure continuity of existing customer sales, projects and support. The business will continue to support its customers with the best solutions possible, including ARM-based products as well as Intel-based application processor platforms with leading-edge 3G slim modem solutions.

WLS today holds leading positions in the field of wireless mobility and cellular platforms for smart phones and ultra-low-cost, entry phones. WLS provides baseband processors, radio-frequency transceivers, power management integrated circuits (ICs), additional connectivity features, single-chip solutions as well as the corresponding system software. This helps to enable the smooth transmission of voice and high-speed data from the backbone of the telecommunication network to the end user's device. With annual revenue of Euro 917 million, WLS was approximately 30 percent of Infineon's total annual revenue of Euro 3.03 billion in the past financial year.

The board of directors of Intel and the supervisory board and the management board of Infineon have approved the transaction. It is expected to close in the first quarter of 2011, subject to certain regulatory approvals and other customary closing conditions specified in the definitive agreement.

In a Nutshell:
  • Intel to purchase Infineon's Wireless Solutions Business, called WLS, in a cash transaction valued at approximately $1.4 billion. The deal is expected to close in the first quarter of 2011.
  • WLS sale enables Infineon to expand leading position in markets for automotive, industry and security technologies.
  • WLS will operate as a standalone business. Intel is committed to serving WLS' existing customers, including support for ARM-based platforms.
  • The acquisition expands Intel's current Wi-Fi and 4G WiMAX offerings to include Infineon's 3G capabilities and supports Intel's plans to accelerate LTE. The acquired technology will be used in Intel Core processor-based laptops, and myriad of Intel Atom processor-based devices, including smartphones, netbooks, tablets and embedded computers.
  • The deal aligns with Internet connectivity pillar of Intel's computing strategy.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

the_wolf88

Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 4.0GHz
Motherboard Asus P5QL-E
Cooling Coolermaster V8
Memory 4GB
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce GTX260
Storage 2x Seagate Barracuda 250GB @ RAID 0
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 2253BW
Case Coolermaster HAF 932
Audio Device(s) Creative XtremeGamer
Power Supply Coolermaster CM550
Software Windows 7 Professional x64
WTF !!

Intel throwing money here and there these days !!

Give me a billion if you don't need it !

Processor AMD Ryzen 1700
Motherboard Gigabyte AB350 GAMING 3
Memory 16GB (2x8) 3200MHz
Display(s) Acer 24" LCD
Software Windows 10 Pro
oh boy. Its getting more and more like a monopoly; the big question is when all the little fish are gone, who is going to buy who? Intel Buy AMD or AMD Buy Intel. Although, im pretty sure that is illegal, and sadly prices will skyrocket :cry:

System Name THE CUBE 2.0
Processor Intel i5 13600k
Motherboard MSI MPG Z690 EDGE DDR4
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14PE BK 2x T30-120 Fan mod mount
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 3200 MT/s C15 32GB 2x16GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aorus 1080 Ti 11GB OC: Core 2GHz, Mem 5.7GHz
Storage WD SN770 250GB / 3x WD SN850X 2TB / Toshiba X300 4TB / 2x RAID1 Toshiba P300 3TB
Display(s) Samsung 49" Odyssey OLED G95SC 240Hz 5120 x 1440
Case "THE CUBE" Custom built, pure Red Alder wood
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT 880
Power Supply Corsair RM1000X
Mouse Logitech G700
Keyboard Logitech G910
Software Windows 11 Pro
Intel give me a $1billion then i can spend $1000 a day for over 2700+ years!!

System Name Dire Wolf IV
Processor Intel Core i9 14900K
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX Z790-I GAMING WIFI
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280
Memory 2x24GB Corsair DDR5 6667
Video Card(s) NVIDIA RTX4080 FE
Storage AORUS Gen4 7300 1TB + Western Digital SN750 500GB
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DWF (QD-OLED, 3440x1440, 165hz)
Case Corsair Airflow 2000D
Power Supply Corsair SF1000L
Mouse Razer Deathadder Essential
Keyboard Chuangquan CQ84
Software Windows 11 Professional
oh boy. Its getting more and more like a monopoly; the big question is when all the little fish are gone, who is going to buy who? Intel Buy AMD or AMD Buy Intel. Although, im pretty sure that is illegal, and sadly prices will skyrocket :cry:

A monopoly would imply being the sole, or close to sole, competitor in the market. This is hardly true for Wireless devices and for Security Software (which are Intel's last two purchases).

I'd say all those cries of "OMG! MONOPOLY!" are pure hatin'.

If anything, accuse Intel of monopoly in its CPU business, not when it purchases a wireless group from Infineon.

Finally, AMD won't be able to afford to buy Intel in the forseeable future (read a decade at the very least, and I am giving them a lot of credit here), and Intel will not buy AMD because such a move would be most likely shot down anyway by regulation bodies. AMD is also what keeps Intel from being officially a monopoly and suffering from harsh(er) laws due to that.

Processor AMD Ryzen 1700
Display(s) Acer 24" LCD
Software Windows 10 Pro
A monopoly would imply being the sole, or close to sole, competitor in the market. This is hardly true for Wireless devices and for Security Software (which are Intel's last two purchases).

I'd say all those cries of "OMG! MONOPOLY!" are pure hatin'.

If anything, accuse Intel of monopoly in its CPU business, not when it purchases a wireless group from Infineon.

Finally, AMD won't be able to afford to buy Intel in the forseeable future (read a decade at the very least, and I am giving them a lot of credit here), and Intel will not buy AMD because such a move would be most likely shot down anyway by regulation bodies. AMD is also what keeps Intel from being officially a monopoly and suffering from harsh(er) laws due to that.

Im aware of what a monopoly is. First, I was reffering to "Eventually" and second, I was ~80% joking.

As far as "OMG MONOPOLY" being hatin' no one was freaking out about it, again, it was mostly a joke.

The accusation of the joke was because Intel would be the company to break rules, if anyone would 'attempt' to be a sole ownership in the computer world, it would be Intel. Just sayin'.

Athlon2K15

HyperVtX™
Processor Intel Core i9 11900K
Motherboard MSI Z590 Carbon EK X
Cooling Custom Water
Memory Team DDR4 4000MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RTX 3080 OC
Storage WD WN850 1TB
Display(s) 43" LG NanoCell 4K 120Hz
Power Supply Asus Thor 1200w
Mouse Asus Strix Evolve
Keyboard Asus Strix Claymore
its good to see intel helping out the companies that cant keep afloat,hopefully this means the employees of infineon wireless group keep their jobs

Processor AMD Ryzen 1700
Display(s) Acer 24" LCD
Software Windows 10 Pro
its good to see intel helping out the companies that cant keep afloat,hopefully this means the employees of infineon wireless group keep their jobs

Even if only ~50% of the workers were allowed to keep their job, thats better than the whole company going under.

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
I wonder who Intel is going to buy out next?!?!?!

TPU perhaps?!?!?!