• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ECS Announces the A890GXM-A2 Motherboard

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Elitegroup Computer Systems (ECS) introduces AMD 890GX based motherboard - ECS Black Series A890GXM-A2 supports the latest six-core CPU to bring users an impressive visual experience with its tough features. By "One-step Unlocking" function in "ECS M.I.B. III" overclocking interface, users are able to unlock the hidden cores of CPU easily, and it reaches over 238% CPU performance boosted than default setting by unlocking cores with overclocking; moreover, it is also easy to reach 146% gaming performance boosted by overclocking GPU - ATI Radeon HD 4290 graphics processor's core clock and SidePort memory speed; ECS A890GXM-A2 fully supports the latest AMD Turbo Core technology which is essential for power-desired users to get extra performance automatically.

ECS A890GXM-A2 is also the first motherboard provides a real PCI-E Gen.2 bandwidth SuperSpeed USB 3.0 controller enhanced by a world-leading IC manufacture in Taiwan, with this perfect solution, ECS A890GXM-A2 features attractive price in the performance segment.

Solid Products are made of Solid Features
  • "ECS Anti-crash Connector Covers" protect the rear I/O like video outputs perfectly against powder, dust even and static electricity;
  • Bundled "Norton Internet Security 2011" to protect system against virus and spyware;
  • "ECS 15 μ Gold Contact" offers 3 times extra protection to secure the motherboard stability and durability;
  • "ECS 4most Display Design" contains HDMI, DisplayPort, DVI and D-Sub connectors on the rear panel at once;
  • "ECS eBLU and ECS eDLU" applications provide the most convenient way to update BIOS and Drivers;
  • "ECS eGS and ECS eSF" applications decrease power consumption and increase cooling efficiency;
  • "ECS eOC" overclocking utility offers an easy and safe way to overclocking under operation system;
  • "ECS eJIFFY" utility speeds up boot time and allows users to surf the internet without virus attack;
  • "ECS Qooltech III" comes with twin-heatpipe design to enhance cooling efficiency for PWM;
  • "ECS Easy Button and Easy Clear" offer an easy way to enjoy boosting system performance without hassle;
  • "All solid capacitors and lower RDS(on) MOSFET" improve durability and increase up to 50% efficiency and decrease the temperatures by 16%;
  • "eSATA 6.0Gbps solution" provides 2 times faster speed in accessing external storage than eSATA.
There are still a number of features in this amazing elegant motherboard, visit ECS or contact your local sales to get more information now.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

users are able to unlock the hidden cores of CPU easily, and it reaches over 238% CPU performance boosted than default setting by unlocking cores with overclocking; moreover, it is also easy to reach 146% gaming performance boosted by overclocking GPU - ATI Radeon HD 4290 graphics
:wtf: Okay.....

Phxprovost

Xtreme Refugee
System Name Result of Boredom
Processor AMD FX-6350
Motherboard ASUS M5A97
Cooling Enzo Tech Extreme-X
Memory 16gb ddr3
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Display(s) Asus 24in (1920X1080) X 2 @144hz
Case NZXT S340
Software WIN7 64bit HP
Solid Products are made of Solid Features
  • “ECS Anti-crash Connector Covers” protect the rear I/O like video outputs perfectly against powder, dust even and static electricity;
  • Bundled “Norton Internet Security 2011” to protect system against virus and spyware;
  • “ECS 15 μ Gold Contact” offers 3 times extra protection to secure the motherboard stability and durability;
  • “ECS 4most Display Design” contains HDMI, DisplayPort, DVI and D-Sub connectors on the rear panel at once;
  • “ECS eBLU and ECS eDLU” applications provide the most convenient way to update BIOS and Drivers;
  • “ECS eGS and ECS eSF” applications decrease power consumption and increase cooling efficiency;
  • “ECS eOC” overclocking utility offers an easy and safe way to overclocking under operation system;
  • “ECS eJIFFY” utility speeds up boot time and allows users to surf the internet without virus attack;
  • “ECS Qooltech III” comes with twin-heatpipe design to enhance cooling efficiency for PWM;
  • “ECS Easy Button and Easy Clear” offer an easy way to enjoy boosting system performance without hassle;
  • “All solid capacitors and lower RDS(on) MOSFET” improve durability and increase up to 50% efficiency and decrease the temperatures by 16%;
  • “eSATA 6.0Gbps solution” provides 2 times faster speed in accessing external storage than eSATA.
There are still a number of features in this amazing elegant motherboard, visit ECS or contact your local sales to get more information now.

the marketing BS in this post just gave me a headache trying to read through it :banghead:

aCid888*

:wtf: Okay.....

It makes sense if you actually read it. :rolleyes:

They are talking about unlocking a dual core to a quad core and then overclocking said unlocked CPU so 238% may not be such an outrageous claim.

Aside from that, this board actually looks pretty nice; certainly worth looking at if your building an HTPC and want some extra features that most budget boards in this price range fail to offer.

ECS on the rise?? I think so. :toast:

System Name 2nd AMD puppy
Processor FX-8350 vishera
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper TX2
Memory 16 Gb DDR3:8GB Kingston HyperX Beast + 8Gb G.Skill Sniper(by courtesy of tabascosauz &TPU)
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+;1450/2000 Mhz
Storage SSD :840 pro 128 Gb;Iridium pro 240Gb ; HDD 2xWD-1Tb
Display(s) Benq XL2730Z 144 Hz freesync
Case NZXT 820 PHANTOM
Audio Device(s) Audigy SE with Logitech Z-5500
Power Supply Riotoro Enigma G2 850W
Mouse Razer copperhead / Gamdias zeus (by courtesy of sneekypeet & TPU)
Keyboard MS Sidewinder x4
Software win10 64bit ltsc
Benchmark Scores irrelevant for me
nice mb with attractive features

One of the best looking motherboards imo. If the price is right, it will be a pure win. It almost feels better looking than my Rampage II Gene... really nice job ECS.

They are talking about unlocking a dual core to a quad core and then overclocking said unlocked CPU so 238% may not be such an outrageous claim.
For the record, I have no issues with ECS or this board. Just the claims.

Let's assume applications scale perfectly with core count and clock speed. Now let's say my stock CPU was a 2GHz Phenom X2. Unlocking the extra 2 cores gives me 100% more cores. Overclocking it to 4GHz gives me an additional 100% performance gain. An extra 40% in performance is going to require another 800MHz on the clock speed, which isn't very realistic. To bring them back to reality, there is no 2GHz Phemom X2. The slowest Newegg has is 3GHz. But more importantly, I know of no application (or even a benchmark) that scales linearly with cores and clock speed. Most software can't even use 4 cores, let alone scale like that. So 200% improvement is about as far as they could go before I call them out on it.

Even worse on the graphics. Are they saying you'll see more than twice the performance out of the IGP? Have they figured out a way to more than double its clock speed?

Those were completely outrageous claims. Not even close.

System Name Fishy's Computer
Processor Intel e8400 3.0 ghz
Motherboard Asus p5k-e
Cooling Air
Memory 4 gb Mushkin hp2
Video Card(s) XFX 9800GTX Artifact Edition
Storage 640 gig Western Digital, 200 gig Samsung
Display(s) LG W2242P
Case Cooler Master 690
Audio Device(s) Onboard ftw!
Power Supply Corsair hx 520
Software what ever i run.
Benchmark Scores none yet
i think intel chipsets are much better than these ones.
troll?
It's a every nice looking board, ECS really seems to be on the upswing as of late.
It's nice seeing other brands step it up, first it was msi, now ECs seems to be on the up, and biostar is all over the place :/

Processor Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard ASUS Prime X470 Pro
Cooling Arctic liquid freezer II 240
Memory 2 x 16 Gb Gskill Trident Z 3600 Mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3060 Ti OC
Storage Samsung 960 EVO 500 Gb / 860 EVO 1 Tb
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF
Case Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G703
Keyboard Logitech G513
Software Win 11
[*]“ECS Anti-crash Connector Covers” protect the rear I/O like video outputs perfectly against powder, dust even and static electricity;
contact your local sales to get more information now.

congratulations motherboards have come with io shields forever unless you advertising something not shown in that picture

That list of features really makes it seem like there trying to hard and the e-xxxx naming is confusing as hell.

System Name ---
Processor FX 8350 @ 4.00 Ghz with 1.28v
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FX-UD3 v4.0, Hacked Bios F4.x
Cooling Silenx 4 pipe Tower cooler + 2 x Cougar 120mm fan, 3 x 120mm, 1 x 200 mm Red LED fan
Memory Kingston HyperX DDR3 1866 16GB + Patriot Memory DDR3 1866 16GB
Video Card(s) Asus R9 290 OC @ GPU - 1050, MEM - 1300
Storage Inland 256GB PCIe NVMe SSD for OS, WDC Black - 2TB + 1TB Storage, Inland 480GB SSD - Games
Display(s) 3 x 1080P LCDs - Acer 25" + Acer 23" + HP 23"
Case AeroCool XPredator X3
Audio Device(s) Built-in Realtek
Power Supply Corsair HX1000 Modular
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
It makes sense if you actually read it. :rolleyes:

Aside from that, this board actually looks pretty nice; certainly worth looking at if your building an HTPC and want some extra features that most budget boards in this price range fail to offer.

ECS on the rise?? I think so. :toast:

For the record, I have no issues with ECS or this board. Just the claims.

Let's assume applications scale perfectly with core count and clock speed. Now let's say my stock CPU was a 2GHz Phenom X2. Unlocking the extra 2 cores gives me 100% more cores. Overclocking it to 4GHz gives me an additional 100% performance gain. An extra 40% in performance is going to require another 800MHz on the clock speed, which isn't very realistic. To bring them back to reality, there is no 2GHz Phemom X2. The slowest Newegg has is 3GHz. But more importantly, I know of no application (or even a benchmark) that scales linearly with cores and clock speed. Most software can't even use 4 cores, let alone scale like that. So 200% improvement is about as far as they could go before I call them out on it.

Even worse on the graphics. Are they saying you'll see more than twice the performance out of the IGP? Have they figured out a way to more than double its clock speed?

Those were completely outrageous claims. Not even close.

Cool down. Just do this :laugh::D:roll::roll:

The board looks really nice, bold and professional. I have had several ECS boards and none of them failed. Infact my server runs with one and is the most stable board. I am actually thinking of upgrading to DDR3 board so I can get 16GB ram cheaper than DDR2, may be I will consider this board if the price is right. Their boards are getting as expensive as a Asus, Giga or MSI.

System Name Getting old!
Processor AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 3,9Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-UD4H
Cooling About sufficient air cooling
Memory 4GB Dominator DDR2 1066 @1040Mhz
Video Card(s) Club 3D Radeon HD6950 1GB
Storage 120GB Kingston SSDNow 200V+, 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
Display(s) Crossover 27Q LED-P (lovely!)
Case Antec Three Hundred
Audio Device(s) Integrated -> optical -> HELIX P DSP
Power Supply Corsair HX620W
Software Win7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores 3DMark11 P5285 WPrime 1.55 10,15 sec Super Pi Mod 1.5 17,920 sec
[*]“ECS 4most Display Design” contains HDMI, DisplayPort, DVI and D-Sub connectors on the rear panel at once;

DISPLAYPORT? The first mobo I've seen with it. :respect:

WarEagleAU

Bird of Prey
System Name Pandemic 2020
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 "Gen 2" 2600X
Motherboard AsRock X470 Killer Promontory
Cooling CoolerMaster 240 RGB Master Cooler (Newegg Eggxpert)
Memory 32 GB Geil EVO Portenza DDR4 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 DUAL-RX580-O8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video C
Storage WD 250 M.2, Corsair P500 M.2, OCZ Trion 500, WD Black 1TB, Assorted others.
Display(s) ASUS MG24UQ Gaming Monitor - 23.6" 4K UHD (3840x2160) , IPS, Adaptive Sync, DisplayWidget
Case Fractal Define R6 C
Audio Device(s) Realtek 5.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RMX 850 Platinum PSU (Newegg Eggxpert)
Mouse Razer Death Adder
Keyboard Corsair K95 Mechanical & Corsair K65 Wired, Wireless, Bluetooth)
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Me to Meiz. Love the color and layout. I think they are talking their I/O Shield like Asus qshield perhaps? Looks awesome but I cant wait to see them bring a 5 series IGP with the new mobos coming up.