• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Official AMD Radeon 6000 Series Discussion Thread

cliffmidnite

Will the 6k series be able to do triplehead eyefinity without using displayport or display port adapters. lets say, 2 dvi and 1 hdmi for example? Also, am I correct that the 6850/70 will be slower than 5850/70 and that 69xx cards to be release at a later point will be the replacement for the 58xx cards? Thanks.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Will the 6k series be able to do triplehead eyefinity without using displayport or display port adapters. lets say, 2 dvi and 1 hdmi for example? Also, am I correct that the 6850/70 will be slower than 5850/70 and that 69xx cards to be release at a later point will be the replacement for the 58xx cards? Thanks.

Eyefinity...it seems it might, but that will take soem itme to confirm. Eyefinity isn't exactly something reviewers like to cover at this point, it seems.

The second bit, yes, it does appear that way. But again, without reviews, it's hard to say for sure. But listed pricing does seem to indicate that as well.

Benetanegia

Thanks for conceding the debate with that ad homeinem. But here is some food for thought. The author things that nv is grasping at straws with that tactic. But I'll leave it at that. ;)

All I see there is the same that can be seen on the slides. AMD pretending that any tesselation that surpasses their cards capabilities is broken. And they are working on a driver level optimization that will most probably reduce the amount of detail.

For that reason, we are working on a driver-based solution in time for the final release of the game that improves performance without sacrificing image quality.

Where did I read that? Ah yes, the 10 bit HDR optimization. :rolleyes:

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Ouchies.

That Hawx Benchie, the GTX 580 release (ahem) and probably more shit slinging to come. Get the handbags ladies, it's time for a bitch fight. East Coast and Cadaveca versus Benetanegia are first up... :p

It's the TPU Royal Rumble.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
You know what, for an argument, us three have to be some of the best at doing it without taking it personally, or attacking the other side on a personal level, so you'll have to deal with us.

:laugh:

You may not like the bickering, but that's part of a discussion...if everyone agreed, things would REALLY suck.

Just go make some popcorn, and sit back, and enjoy the show. :laugh:

Last edited:

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software W10
You know what, for an argument, us three have to be some of the best at doing it without taking it personally, or attacking the other sdie on a personal level, so you'll have to deal with us.

:laugh:

I'm from a nasty hard town in Scotland called Glasgow (we're shit at everything except dying from CHD, Cancer and Obesity related shit). But we're tough. I'll have you all!! You aint seen my unitard.

In my tongue, saying "I'll have you!" means "I'll kick your ass big time!". But we also pronounce it, "Ah'll huv you!" usually with a suitable suffix like "ya c**t". Let's all practice Glasgow hardman talk!!.

Anyhow, Cayman will "huv" the GTX 480 and the rest of "youse" can "suk ma baws!"

(note to admins - please dont reprimand me, i'm only playing and i censored my own post!)

(please take this lightly, it's a cultural joke - like being scottish :laugh:)

Last edited:

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Processor E8400 @ 3.80Ghz > Q9650 3.60Ghz
Motherboard Maximus Formula
Cooling D5, 7/16" ID Tubing, Maze4 with Fuzion CPU WB
Memory XMS 8500C5D @ 1066MHz
Video Card(s) HD 2900 XT 858/900 to 4870 to 5870 (Keep Vreg area clean)
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
Audio Device(s) X-fi Plantinum
Power Supply Silencer 750
Software XP Pro SP3 to Windows 7
Benchmark Scores This varies from one driver to another.
The thing is, that isn't the 1st time we've seen something like this. Take LP2 benchmark for example.
Beginning today, Capcom and NVIDIA have released a preview of Lost Planet 2. Containing both a gameplay test and Direct® X 11 benchmark mode, this application allows gamers to test their PCs to ensure they get the optimum Lost Planet 2 experience.

As you can see, very one sided in development of the benchmark. When someone asked Catalystmaker about it here is what he said. So there is some shenanigans going on. So what's the point of all this? Well, when I see stuff like this I'm not that convinced that nv is in a position to provide a hardware answer for the 6000 series yet.

cliffmidnite

I hope that is the case. It's not that big of a deal to get a display port to dvi, vga, adapter, but it would definitely be nice to have the ability of 3 display eyefinity right out of the box without having to fork out more money for an extra adapter. I found it quite boring reading about all that tesselation mumbo jumbo too. As someone else noted, I don't think games will utilize it that much in our near future. I don't think game programmers will utilize much of the new tech and maximize the benefits of dx11 till we see a new generation of consoles. Aside from a few recent games, I have been rather disappointed with current titles not really pushing the limits of current hardware. The focus seems to be on consoles and I kind of feel like pc gamers are starting to become a dying breed. I love when new cards and tech come out, I just feel like the game aren't taking advantage of the power available and the consoles are holding us back. Aside from eyefinity, probably only 10% of games really need a $500 gpu.

Benetanegia

I just found this on TechReport:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntbMUIJGa_0&feature=player_embedded

A little bit better use of tesselation, but not quite yet where I'd like it to be, especially on the stone figures, still a bit lacking. I don't know how that benchmark will run on HD6000 cards, like I said, that remains to be seen, but if that level of tesselation can be done, it should be done. Nvidia can probably do it, just like they can do the one on Heaven XT and Stonegiant, and if AMD cannot do it, they should make it posible, well, because it's posible. Time to catch up.

The rest is only AMD fanboys bitching because they can't have it, just like when AMD fanboys claim that PhysX effects do not make any difference...

CDdude55

Crazy 4 TPU!!!
System Name CDdude's Rig!
Processor AMD Athlon II X4 620
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
Cooling Corsair H70
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengence @1600mhz
Video Card(s) XFX HD 6970 2GB
Storage OCZ Agility 3 60GB SSD/WD Velociraptor 300GB
Display(s) ASUS VH232H 23" 1920x1080
Case Cooler Master CM690 (w/ side window)
Audio Device(s) Onboard (It sounds fine)
Power Supply Corsair 850TX
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SP1
Interesting news from HardOCP:

HardOCP said:
While we have moved on, the GPU companies have not. Yesterday we got an email from NVIDIA about a new H.A.W.X. 2 benchmark and the company encouraged us to use it on upcoming reviews. Today we got an email from AMD asking us not to use it on upcoming products.

Email from AMD said:
It has come to our attention that you may have received an early build of a benchmark based on the upcoming Ubisoft title H.A.W.X. 2. I'm sure you are fully aware that the timing of this benchmark is not coincidental and is an attempt by our competitor to negatively influence your reviews of the AMD Radeon™ HD 6800 series products. We suggest you do not use this benchmark at present as it has known issues with its implementation of DirectX® 11 tessellation and does not serve as a useful indicator of performance for the AMD Radeon™ HD 6800 series. A quick comparison of the performance data in H.A.W.X. 2, with tessellation on, and that of other games/benchmarks will demonstrate how unrepresentative H.A.W.X. 2 performance is of real world performance.

AMD has demonstrated to Ubisoft tessellation performance improvements that benefit all GPUs, but the developer has chosen not to implement them in the preview benchmark. For that reason, we are working on a driver-based solution in time for the final release of the game that improves performance without sacrificing image quality. In the meantime we recommend you hold off using the benchmark as it will not provide a useful measure of performance relative to other DirectX® 11 games using tessellation.

http://hardocp.com/news/2010/10/20/benchmark_wars

Benetanegia

The thing is, that isn't the 1st time we've seen something like this. Take LP2 benchmark for example.

As you can see, very one sided in development of the benchmark.

The thing is that it is not the game developer who has to go find AMD, it's AMD who has to contact the developer and ask/give the things they need. We are not talking about an unknown 5 people developer either. Everyone knows that Capcom is goign to be working on something. If the game is realeased and you have nothing is your fault and only yours. The same excuse has been made by AMD so many times it's not even funny. Game performance is absolutely dependant on driver optimizations, so there's absolutely no excuse if you have not optimized for a game, because "uhh they didn't contact me".

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software W10
oops dude, it's been posted a few posts back...

CDdude55

Crazy 4 TPU!!!
Cooling Corsair H70

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Processor E8400 @ 3.80Ghz > Q9650 3.60Ghz
Motherboard Maximus Formula
Cooling D5, 7/16" ID Tubing, Maze4 with Fuzion CPU WB
Memory XMS 8500C5D @ 1066MHz
Video Card(s) HD 2900 XT 858/900 to 4870 to 5870 (Keep Vreg area clean)
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
Audio Device(s) X-fi Plantinum
Power Supply Silencer 750
Software XP Pro SP3 to Windows 7
Benchmark Scores This varies from one driver to another.

Yeah, I posted that earlier, which is why I said when I see stuff like that nv doesn't have a sufficient hardware answer to AMD's 6000 series. When you read statements like:
...AMD has demonstrated to Ubisoft tessellation performance improvements that benefit all GPUs, but the developer has chosen not to implement them in the preview benchmark. For that reason, we are working on a driver-based solution in time for the final release of the game that improves performance without sacrificing image quality...
It clearly shows the intent of the benchmark. It's also apparent AMD has been in communication with Ubi in an attempt to allow all GPUs benefit from the tessellation. It's good PR for AMD to openly address the issue instead of leaving it one sided.

Last edited:

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software W10
The thing is that it is not the game developer who has to go find AMD, it's AMD who has to contact the developer and ask/give the things they need. We are not talking about an unknown 5 people developer either. Everyone knows that Capcom is goign to be working on something. If the game is realeased and you have nothing is your fault and only yours. The same excuse has been made by AMD so many times it's not even funny. Game performance is absolutely dependant on driver optimizations, so there's absolutely no excuse if you have not optimized for a game, because "uhh they didn't contact me".

Hmm. Analogy. We use a Coca-Cola Scweppes Machine. Contractually we cannot have a Pepsi machine in the building. Perhaps it is also a case of 'NE Company' buys (or bribes) their influence into a preference (TWIMTBP games ot some of ATI's - BFBC2, AvP etc).
I dont think it's just as simple as saying, Capcom are coming, lets optimise. I tink there is also behind the scenes business going on to favour one side (that pays for it)

System Name Micro Mule
Processor Intel i7 950 Stock + Noctua NH-C14
Motherboard Asus Rampage III Gene MicroATX
Cooling Noctua 120mm/80m Fans
Memory Crucial Ballistix 6GB DDR3 1600MHz
Video Card(s) Asus nVidia GTX 580
Storage Samsung 850 Pro SSD, WD Caviar Black 2TB HDD
Display(s) LG 42LD650 42" LCD HDTV
Case Silverstone Fortress FT03
Audio Device(s) Creative SB X-Fi Titanium HD + Sennheiser PC360 Headset
Power Supply Corsair AX850 - 850W Modular Gold
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
... The rest is only AMD fanboys bitching because they can't have it, just like when AMD fanboys claim that PhysX effects do not make any difference...

Bene, I've been following the ongoing argument since beginning and I couldn't help but notice that although you say you hate fanboys; the obvious truth is that you are actually an nvidia fanboy, come on, admit it! :rolleyes:

The undeniable fact is that currently for us gamers AMD has the upper hand in GPU industry, and if you need any proof then just wait for Cayman XT & Cayman Pro to be released next month as they'll rape the GTX 480 and reclaim the single-GPU performance crown.

CDdude55

Crazy 4 TPU!!!
Cooling Corsair H70
The undeniable fact is that currently for us gamers AMD has the upper hand in GPU industry, and if you need any proof then just wait for Cayman XT & Cayman Pro to be released next month as they'll rape the GTX 480 and reclaim the single-GPU performance crown.

It's much to early to tell.

Chances are, it's gonna end up the same way as usual, AMD puts put a great card and owns the market for a good while, then Nvidia brings out something that beats it performance wise and so on.

SNICK

System Name Good as Hell
Processor intel core i7 950
Motherboard asus p6t
Cooling stock
Memory Corsir TR3X6G1600C9 6GBKit
Video Card(s) nvidia geforce 9300ge
Storage 500gb seagate
Power Supply corsir 650hx
Wow the more PR slides I see more dissapointed that I am with AMD on this release. First the PR spin of claiming an improvement on perf/die area where it doesn't exist, using HD6870 and HD5850 to fake it out and now these. Despite the improvement on tesselation they cannot compete with Nvidia cards, so they release this BS. Yes AMD, certainly the rasterizer can be a bottleneck that's why Nvidia put 4 of them in Fermi. :shadedshu

But obviously instead of doing something like adding rasterizers or STFU, they have to try to limit the ammount of tesselation in games, so that the weakness of their architecture in regards to tesselation is not exposed. And they are doing it in a pathetic way at that. I mean, ideally you want 16 pixels/polygon? What garbage is that?

Let's see:

1920 x 1200 = 2304000 pixel -> 2304000 pixel / 16 pixel/poly = 144000 poly
1680 x 1050 = 1764000 pixel -> 1764000/16 = 110250 poly

110k-144k polygons? That's the limit they are suggesting?

Nearly all modern games already use 500k - 1 million polys, without ANY tesselation. :shadedshu

Crysis has around 1-2 million. Nanosuit model alone is 60k poly.
GOW2 and ME2 characters are 15k-30k each...

Even moving to the "innefficient" 1 pixel/poly we are talking about 1.76-2.3 million polys, so AMD is saying that games using tesselation shouldn't really surpass the polycount of 3+ years old games. Wonderful AMD, you know what? Nvidia did envision that bottleneck and did something to fix it on their architecture, so either do something or STFU. :banghead:

Smart tesselation rather than nvidia's brite force tesselation
If Smart comes with considerable power savings, while keeping image differences indistinguishable, then I’m ok with it.

Let’s see what dx11 benchmark will say about this.

Benetanegia

Bene, I've been following the ongoing argument since beginning and I couldn't help but notice that although you say you hate fanboys; the obvious truth is that you are actually an nvidia fanboy, come on, admit it! :rolleyes:

In a forum dominated by AMD fanboys? Sure, someone has to address the AMD fanboyism before it scalates. The only truth is that on this thread and forums I'm one of the very few that is objective.

Rebranding is evil and deceptive if Nvidia does it with a 8800 GS that suddenly becomes 9600 GS, but AMD rebranding HD5770 to HD6770 or releasing a HD6800 that is slower than HD5800 is not only justifiable and makes all the sense, it's smart.

Tesselation was the second Godsend when only AMD had it and when it was rumored that Fermi would suck on tesselation, because it was software based. Come Fermi and tesselation is "not really needed", "overkill", bla bla.

Can someone here that is informed and savyy say with a straight face that AMD is not trying to deceive customers, with the rebrand and with the false "performance per die area improvement" claim?

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Can someone here that is informed and savyy say with a straight face that AMD is not trying to deceive customers, with the rebrand and with the false "performance per die area improvement" claim?

Without things like benchmarks and hard proof of end results everyone is just talking out of their a$$ anyways. My 2 cents. Other than that, I'm staying out of this conversation since I'm really not interested in mid-range cards at this time. :)

System Name About_To_Be_Replaced
Processor AMD Deneb 955 OC to 3.82GHz
Motherboard ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+
Memory CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) SAPPHIRE Vapor-X Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB
Storage Crucial RealSSD C300 64GB SATA III (SSD)
Display(s) Samsung 2770HD
Case COOLER MASTER HAF 912 Mid Tower
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W
Software Win 7 64 Bit Home Edition SP1
Benchmark Scores Build 1: Listed Specs Build 2: Waiting for SteamRoller
I believe that everyone's situation is different. Most folks stay one sided on brands (AMD/Nvidia). However; instead of guessing/rumors/insults folks just need to sit back and wait for their release and monitor all benchmarks. What's important to you and your needs may not be appropriate for someone else, so I prefer that no one "speaks for me". When it's time to upgrade to the new GPU - pick what's best for your situation and be happy - enough said!

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
sense put into words :toast: id also like to say to bene that on a forum called tech power up nobody should EVER say permformance these days is enough cos how much is enough i aint seen enough of anything including high fidelity 3d games.
There all mostly pants, i mean theyre gettin better but WTF i played the new MOH other night and the puddles were effin solid and thats cutting edge frosbite action lol
Finally can we quit now with the 6850-6870 shit and start talking about something that actually matters to an Enthusiast ie 6970-6990 im not building no new HPC this year so WTF is all this mid range waffle:laugh:

System Name Money Hole
Processor Core i7 970
Motherboard Asus P6T6 WS Revolution
Cooling Noctua UH-D14
Memory 2133Mhz 12GB (3x4GB) Mushkin 998991
Video Card(s) Sapphire Tri-X OC R9 290X
Storage Samsung 1TB 850 Evo
Display(s) 3x Acer KG240A 144hz
Case CM HAF 932
Audio Device(s) ADI (onboard)
Power Supply Enermax Revolution 85+ 1050w
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
The woes of unemployment...once something new comes up we can only *sigh* and dream about the one day we can actually afford something. :toast:

Sorry I meant that I was joining in with you on taking a pass this generation. I'm not currently unemployed but school bills are doing a good job of eating up just about all I have.

I'll keep you in my prayers. :toast:

To regards to 6850s.....
Amazon has the 6850 listed with specs.

CDdude55

Crazy 4 TPU!!!
Cooling Corsair H70
I believe that everyone's situation is different. Most folks stay one sided on brands (AMD/Nvidia). However; instead of guessing/rumors/insults folks just need to sit back and wait for their release and monitor all benchmarks. What's important to you and your needs may not be appropriate for someone else, so I prefer that no one "speaks for me". When it's time to upgrade to the new GPU - pick what's best for your situation and be happy - enough said!

I agree.

Though of course rumors and speculation as well as insults will never cease. As long as there are new products coming out, people will always take early judgment for flame others for what ever product is being talked about. And we definitely need to just wait and see to decided if an upgrade is right for us and whether this cards deliver anything

DanTheMan said:
Most folks stay one sided on brands (AMD/Nvidia)

Not me, as i have said before, they are just names of companies that don't give a shit about me besides how much green paper i have in my pocket.(and to fight for that paper they need to bring out some awesome stuff, regardless of name)