• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Great success thanks 2 u - still need a little help please

My nightmare build is almost over and looking well on the up side thanks to you all! I was able to connect everything and then power-up. All fans are running, no error beep codes are going on, and I am a long way from despair of a week ago again thanks to you all!

Now, when I boot up I get one quick single beep and then everything is cool....except I can't get into the bios. I checked the manual on the one short beep and it says VGA detected - No keyboard. I tried two keyboards (PS2 and USB) and neither worked. I plugged the USB into several USB connectors but no luck. I also tried plugging the monitor into both the on-board video connector and the Radeon 5750 connector but still no luck. Every time I boot up and hold down the delete key to get into the bios, the monitor just shows a black screen with a blinking cursor in the upper left corner. Plmk of any tips I can apply to get past this as I am so close and SO HAPPY that it is going well!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited:

streetfighter 2

Aren't you using the GA-890GPA-UD3H?

On that board (and pretty much every other board that I know of) one short beep is the everythings OK alarm.

Try resetting the CMOS. (If you've got a blinking cursor that means you have a video output-- Therefore, leave the cable plugged into whatever is giving you the blinking cursor.)

Good point.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 74752

I think he is just trying to figure out how to enter bios. Just holding the delete key down won't get it.

D

Deleted member 74752

Next time you boot try unplugging the keyboard and then plug it back in...maybe it will prompt a driver search. Check device manager to see if all is well there and reload driver maybe?

On that board (and pretty much every other board that I know of) one short beep is the everythings OK alarm.

Try resetting the CMOS. (If you've got a blinking cursor that means you have a video output-- Therefore, leave the cable plugged into whatever is giving you the blinking cursor.)

Thanks Streetfighter - I am using the original ASUS card I bought which I thought was cooked. It worked in my test environment before I hooked everything else up to it inside the case. The GIGABYTE card would not work in my test environment.

I know this sounds funny but my set-up now feels correct. I thought there might be a weak connection on the video card so I reseated it but still no luck into the bios?

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
diconnect the optical and hard drives then try to get into bios. ( I assume one of them is now stalling the boot)

Thanks streetfighter 2

I rest the CMOS battery (i.e., turned off the power and carefully removed the CMOS item - then re-inserted it and powered up again). This brought me to a Gigabyte Main screen that has two options (Hit delete for set-up or tab to move around). I chose both of these many times but it was as if my pc was frozen as nothing happened. I replugged both keyboards several times in all the USB slots (and PS2 slot) but no luck?

:confused:

diconnect the optical and hard drives then try to get into bios. ( I assume one of them is now stalling the boot)

Thanks sneekypeet - I tried this but got the same result of a blinking cursor on the monitor...

Next time you boot try unplugging the keyboard and then plug it back in...maybe it will prompt a driver search. Check device manager to see if all is well there and reload driver maybe?

Thanks rickss69 - I tired this with both keyboards several times but no luck...

I have four RAM slots with two in one color and two in another color. Right now I have both cards inserted into the same colored slots. What about if I placed one memory stick in one colored slot and the other memory stick in a different colored slot?

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Software Windows 11
I would use one stick and clear the CMOS then try to boot to bios. Even with no drives in place with a card, board, some ram, and a CPU you should be able to get into the bios.

Processor Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard ASUS Prime X470 Pro
Cooling Arctic liquid freezer II 240
Memory 2 x 16 Gb Gskill Trident Z 3600 Mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3060 Ti OC
Storage Samsung 960 EVO 500 Gb / 860 EVO 1 Tb
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF
Case Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G703
Keyboard Logitech G513
Software Win 11
Sometimes holding or pressing delete to many times will cause it to error out.
Wait till you see the lock lights on the keyboard flash that indicates that its booted to the point of KB detection, then press delete a few times .

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Software Windows 11
That too, good point.

I would use one stick and clear the CMOS then try to boot to bios. Even with no drives in place with a card, board, some ram, and a CPU you should be able to get into the bios.

Thanks sneekypeet - that worked!!!!

Please stay with me on this - I am in the bios right now - Do I run setup - then power down to connect the cd and hard drive

Then power up, format my drive and install win 7 update (I have an XP update cd and a full version cd of Windows 98 as my "Microsoft proof" disks?

Or as I am in the bios right now, do I set my boot order for cd rom first, followed by hard drive - then shut down, plug in cd and hd and reboot up with gigabyte mobo disk in cd drive?

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Software Windows 11
I would set the ram voltage and timings found on the sticker on the ram into the bios. power down and try to get to bios with the HDD alone and see if the bios sees the new drive. If all is good to go at this point, plug in the optical drive and again be sure bios sees it. Once you can still get to bios at this point, I would then throw in the Windows disc and get to writing the OS.

Dont add a disc until you can get all the hardware connected and into bios and seen with the bios.

Then just drop in the W7 disc, write the OS, it will do the formatting. After the OS is in, then you can get the GB CD for utilities, but I suggest you use either windows updates for drivers or hunt them out. The ones on the disc are usually out of date.

I would set the ram voltage and timings found on the sticker on the ram into the bios. power down and try to get to bios with the HDD alone and see if the bios sees the new drive. If all is good to go at this point, plug in the optical drive and again be sure bios sees it. Once you can still get to bios at this point, I would then throw in the Windows disc and get to writing the OS.

Dont add a disc until you can get all the hardware connected and into bios and seen with the bios.

Then just drop in the W7 disc, write the OS, it will do the formatting. After the OS is in, then you can get the GB CD for utilities, but I suggest you use either windows updates for drivers or hunt them out. The ones on the disc are usually out of date.

Ok thanks sneekypeet -
I hooked the Cdrom and then the HDD. When I rebooted and went into the bios it recognized both items under the SATA descriptions. But when I saved and moved on, I got this message:

"Reboot and select proper boot device"

I rebooted and still get that message?

JrRacinFan

Served 5k and counting ...
System Name Dual Build Streamer
Processor Ryzen 7900x3d : Ryzen 4600G
Motherboard AsRock B650E Steel Legend : Giga B450i Aorus
Cooling Custom Water 1x420 : Stock
Memory 32GB T-Force Deltas : 16GB Dominator Platinums
Video Card(s) PowerColor 7900 XTX Liquid Devil: iGPU
Storage 20+ TB
Display(s) Sammy 49" 5k Ultrawide
Case Custom White Painted Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2
Audio Device(s) Onboard : Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1200W P2
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite White
Keyboard Hyperx Origins 65
Software Windows 10
Tap F12 for boot menu and choose CD-ROM/DVD-ROM.

D

Deleted member 74752

Select your cdplayer in bios to boot first and insert your Windows disk.

Select your cdplayer in bios to boot first and insert your Windows disk.

Thanks rickss69 - I am soooo close!

I got windows 7 to begin the install but when it got to selecting the partition, I selected the only one I have (a 1.5 tb hd w/one partition) windows says "setup unable to create a new system partition". So I rebooted using the Seagate HD setup cd but now I am back to getting the "Reboot and select proper boot device" message. I tried f12 (and all the other function keys but still get this message. Should I try win 7 again but instead of a clean install, select upgrade from xp as my installation (even thought the hd is empty and brand new)?

D

Deleted member 74752

Are you sure you didnt stab Jesus in another life? :laugh: Yeah, keep pluggin away at it until you can format the hdd. Do you have one with an OS already installed?

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Software Windows 11
when you boot the disc and get to where it asks for the setup onto a drive, there is a way to key up an advanced menu where you can manually format the drive, then install the OS. See if that helps.